2018 Europeans Pairs FS | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2018 Europeans Pairs FS

whatif

Medalist
i think judges long gave up on judging "subjective" elements of PCS such as choice of music etc in non-Dance disciplines. PCS are about everything else but that. That's why I wish they could just get rid off PCS entirely.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm only half-joking because I kind of like it. Turandot bores me. I think Le Terre vue de Ciel is a masterpiece, so of course Candyman doesn't come close. I like pairs especially because most pairs usually choose, not exactly better, but different music. It's more interesting. That people have such a strong reaction to Candyman - well, T/M were harshly critisized because they are boring and unexpressive. THIS no matter how bad it is, got a reaction from everyone. In the end, it doesn't matter at all, what kind of program it is - they could win the gold if they skate in their training gear and no music on, if they hit all their elements and S/H and S/M falter.

LOL, well, this is definitely an injection of personality! But kinda the other way.

I've actually liked T/M since the beginning... they have clean elements and they are a pleasant pair to watch. Which is why I'm dismayed by costumes like these.

They could have still kept this music and done fun stuff but still kept it cool and suave. This is too juniorish.

They do everything well, but there's no X-factor to them, for me. This season though with the kitschy program, it's tacky but it's at least helping them break out of their shell more.

And very true... they could win gold if they hit everything and the top pairs falter. It would be totally deserved but it'd be like a Totmianina/Marinin situation all over again (although at least this program isn't a snoozefest).

- - - Updated - - -

How often ISU tested their judges?

For.... knowledge? Or drugs? :laugh:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
LOL, well, this is definitely an injection of personality! But kinda the other way.

I've actually liked T/M since the beginning... they have clean elements and they are a pleasant pair to watch. Which is why I'm dismayed by costumes like these.

They could have still kept this music and done fun stuff but still kept it cool and suave. This is too juniorish.

They do everything well, but there's no X-factor to them, for me. This season though with the kitschy program, it's tacky but it's at least helping them break out of their shell more.

And very true... they could win gold if they hit everything and the top pairs falter. It would be totally deserved but it'd be like a Totmianina/Marinin situation all over again (although at least this program isn't a snoozefest).

- - - Updated - - -

For.... knowledge? Or drugs? :laugh:

The funny thing is, I was looking forward to seeing them live the first time at last year's Nebelhorn Trophy. I was impressed, really, impressed how charming they can be. And then I saw that I've actually seen them live before, at a B-competition in 2012! And I have absolutely no recollection of them or their skate. :laugh:

Olenka1213

Spectator
This is just not true. Apart from Sochi Oly, we´ve always had a great crowd, knowledgeable and always supporting all top athletes. From what I´ve seen on TV, Canadians and Americans hardly ever applaud their competition, and if today´s situation happened there, the crowd would have exploded with joy in the same way as it happened in Moscow. Although personally I thought this scoring was unfair to JC.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Apparently some people think J/C needed a gold-medal worthy performance to even be on the podium. Also people are really trying it with their "J/C got a PCS PB" lol both J/C and Z/E were at Skate Canada this season and at the time they received:

J/C 34.49 70.63
Z/E 31.41 63.02

And here they received:

J/C 35.44 71.03
Z/E 33.34 68.73

So yes J/C got a tiny late season PCS bump while Z/E are gifted +5 PCS in the free because why not? This scoring is ridiculous and I can't believe people are even trying to defend it.

I also wonder about how Z/E's TES kept increasing by small increments even after they finished...

ivanja

On the Ice
Country
Croatia
Bottom line, J/C paid for their mistakes, while the Russian's mistakes were mostly ignored. None of them skated cleanly and yet it was a PB/SB bonanza.

Mawwerg

Final Flight
There were even three outcomes. They lost only 0.85 for second. However I don't think that anybody really deserved that second place with such quality of elements execution.

Last edited by a moderator:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
This is just not true. Apart from Sochi Oly, we´ve always had a great crowd, knowledgeable and always supporting all top athletes. From what I´ve seen on TV, Canadians and Americans hardly ever applaud their competition, and if today´s situation happened there, the crowd would have exploded with joy in the same way as it happened in Moscow. Although personally I thought this scoring was unfair to JC.

The crowd might have exploded.... although it wouldn't have been with joy. It was pretty evident today that the Russian crowd was lukewarm to the other pairs and gave J/C the ole Savchenko/Szolkowy Sochi treatment when they knew the team was a threat to their skaters.

Kudos to Morgan for not flipping the judges the birds after the marks were announced, although that could have justifiably been directed at the ruder members of the audience too.

That's not to say a crowd can't support their own, but it's so painfully obvious in Russia when there is bias. They will cheer for competitors mistakes or give a lukewarm response if a non-Russian executes something well. North America isn't ideal either, but they are far more supportive of the field. And they sure as heck don't yell "Canada!" or "USA!" if their figure skaters are performing well. Japan/Asia is obviously the classiest.

I'm so glad the days of Sochiare behind us and we'll have a "neutral" South Korean audience who I'm will support, and stay for, all the athletes.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Americans, we're getting called out again--it must be Thursday :laugh2: This is Europeans and yet . . .

We cheered Yagudin like a conquering hero at the 2002 Olympics, so we have good taste :biggrin: Please be careful with the generalizations :slink:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Bottom line, J/C paid for their mistakes, while the Russian's mistakes were mostly ignored. None of them skated cleanly and yet it was a PB/SB bonanza.

OMG true.... that Z/E got a personal best after flubbing both SBS elements. :laugh:

Yes, J/C made errors, and they could have indeed come second without controversy had they cleaned up their lifts and SBS spin. But the fact that S/K were able to edge them out given how poorly their SP and FS were and Z/E's errors still yielded a PCS personal best - which obviously got them bronze - is the kicker.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Honestly folks. I've watched a lot of skating over the years and I think American, Russian and Canadian fans all cheer for their own skaters first and foremost but also for other skaters too. I don't blame a crowd for cheering louder for it's own skaters than for others.

You don't make your own people look better by putting down others.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Honestly folks. I've watched a lot of skating over the years and I think American, Russian and Canadian fans all cheer for their own skaters first and foremost but also for other skaters too. I don't blame a crowd for cheering louder for it's own skaters than for others.

What a sensible view of life. No drama. Straightforward.

Are you SURE you're a skating fan? Because a TRUE fan would be having hissy fits and calling for her fainting couch.

starla16

Medalist
That's not to say a crowd can't support their own, but it's so painfully obvious in Russia when there is bias. They will cheer for competitors mistakes or give a lukewarm response if a non-Russian executes something well. North America isn't ideal either, but they are far more supportive of the field. And they sure as heck don't yell "Canada!" or "USA!" if their figure skaters are performing well. Japan/Asia is obviously the classiest.

Obviously this isn't the NFL, a football game or such high pumping sport, but its its still a competition, Russians are very nationalistic, so its okay if canadians and americans with there lukewarm response to foreign skaters and draping the whole arena with their flags but not russians ???

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
This is kind of off point but Vladimir stuck his tongue out at the camera shortly after their skate; it was deliberate, with serious expression, unaccompanied by a smile. I thought "What!! Ick! Really?!! What are you, 12? I guess being an elite athlete doesn't necessarily mean maturity.... it's back to the sandbox...

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
What a sensible view of life. No drama. Straightforward.

Are you SURE you're a skating fan? Because a TRUE fan would be having hissy fits and calling for her fainting couch.

I have ALWAYS wanted a fainting couch!

I think I've like skaters from all over the world and crowds from all over the world. I'm always amazed how generous and giving most crowds are. For the most part skating makes me feel better about the global situation rather than worse. There are some folks who vitriol is upsetting but most people are less myopic.

luckyguy

Match Penalty

What are you writing about? The crowd applauded enthusiasticly James/Cypres.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jEW8xi8Sdk

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Obviously this isn't the NFL, a football game or such high pumping sport, but its its still a competition, Russians are very nationalistic, so its okay if canadians and americans with there lukewarm response to foreign skaters and draping the whole arena with their flags but not russians ???

Nothing wrong with draping the whole arena with the Russian flags.

It's not like they'll be able to do that in Pyeong Chang. :p