2018 Europeans Pairs FS | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2018 Europeans Pairs FS

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
What are you writing about? The crowd applauded enthusiasticly James/Cypres.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jEW8xi8Sdk

Um.. I'm talking to posters who as soon as someone says something negative about a Russian, Canadian, American ETC say "well so and so is worse..."
And if you've been reading what I've wrote you can see that I have actually been standing up for the Russian crowd so cool your jets.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Can we at least agree on a spelling for the place the Olympics is? I'm afraid of the spelling so I always say Korea. Have I just given away a trade secret?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is just not true. Apart from Sochi Oly, we´ve always had a great crowd, knowledgeable and always supporting all top athletes. From what I´ve seen on TV, Canadians and Americans hardly ever applaud their competition, and if today´s situation happened there, the crowd would have exploded with joy in the same way as it happened in Moscow. Although personally I thought this scoring was unfair to JC.

I was at Worlds in Boston for the Dance FS and I thought the crowd cheered more for the French than the Shibutanis. At least they did where I was sitting. Someone behind me commented after the Shibs skated, "well, they were good, too."

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have ALWAYS wanted a fainting couch!

I think I've like skaters from all over the world and crowds from all over the world. I'm always amazed how generous and giving most crowds are. For the most part skating makes me feel better about the global situation rather than worse. There are some folks who vitriol is upsetting but most people are less myopic.

I remember the WC in Ontario when D/W skated Giselle in the short dance. The Canadian crowd, who was certainly - and rightfully - backing V/M, jumped to their feet with a standing ovation for the effort. That crowd knew they had seen something outstanding, and they did not shy from showing appreciation to the favorites' rivals.

Similarly, in Moscow one year the crowd nearly rioted at the low placement awarded to the Duchesnay ice dancers.

And in Washington, the crowd were on their feet for S/Z long before they even finished.

Figure skating fans root for their home favorites. They also love a great performance, no matter who delivers.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Can't we just agree that it's fine to put up your country's flag and cheer for your country? What's wrong with that?

Am I missing something? Why can't you cheer for your own skaters? Why can't you want them to win? I totally get why a Russian crowd would want a Russian champion just as I totally get why a Canadian crowd would want a Canadian one. Why is this controversial?

starla16

Medalist
Can't we just agree that it's fine to put up your country's flag and cheer for your country? What's wrong with that?

Am I missing something? Why can't you cheer for your own skaters? Why can't you want them to win? I totally get why a Russian crowd would want a Russian champion just as I totally get why a Canadian crowd would want a Canadian one. Why is this controversial?

exactly, americans and canadians give standing ovations to their home skaters and boosts the judges scoring. While Russians shouting "ROSSIYA" and being happy of a sweep and the fume starts.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Disappointed for J/C especially after their promising short program. Maybe being first in the short caused some mental games that made them a little more nervous in the free skate. I too was side-eyeing the judging a little and I'm really sad that they missed the podium by such a minuscule amount, but I always take bad performances as a "they got their mistakes out before the real competition" kind of situation to cope with it :laugh:

moriel

Record Breaker
OMG true.... that Z/E got a personal best after flubbing both SBS elements. :laugh:

Yes, J/C made errors, and they could have indeed come second without controversy had they cleaned up their lifts and SBS spin. But the fact that S/K were able to edge them out given how poorly their SP and FS were and Z/E's errors still yielded a PCS personal best - which obviously got them bronze - is the kicker.

When Kostner is on podium with many mistakes because PCs, yay fine.
When Osmond is on podium with many mistakes because PCs, yay fine.
When Gracie was on podium with many mistakes because PCs, yay fine.
When S/K on podium with many mistakes because PCs, ewwww evil russian mafia.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Still going mad with happiness! It nearly broke my heart when Ksenia looked like crying! Anyway, it’s just been a nerve-wrecking experience. Drama until the very last minute. Only one person more happy than anybody else: Nina Mozer!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Im not talking about Pyongchang; I'm talking about SKAM and SK and whenever World Championships are held in North America !!!

Ummmm.... no.

Ten at WC 2013 (Canada):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZuhCnC5wOo#t=5m35s

Medvedeva at WC 2016 (US):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf-ikEpLIYw#t=4m37s

Miyahara at Skate America 2017:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QvL7Fu9DVU&t=4m40s

The reason I picked these three is because even though these skaters' performances were a threat to the home skaters, the audience STILL gave them great support, because they acknowledged that they were strong skates deserving of standing ovations.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
When Kostner is on podium with many mistakes because PCs, yay fine.
When Osmond is on podium with many mistakes because PCs, yay fine.
When Gracie was on podium with many mistakes because PCs, yay fine.
When S/K on podium with many mistakes because PCs, ewwww evil russian mafia.

No, I've criticized those instances too where Kostner/Osmond/Gold have been overscored with mistakes.

I'm also not saying the Russian mob did it either. They've got their hands too busy meddling with US politics to care about figure skating. ;)

Eclair

Medalist
agreed, USA only cheers for americans look at SKAM, same for Canadians lol
the hypocrisy is epic. J/C had some mistakes but they could have gotten third or Z/E the other way.

SkAm audience cheered for Kaori as much as for Bradie. They cheered for Savchenko/Massot and Yu/Zhang more than for the American pairs.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

There's nothing wrong with cheering on your own skaters or cheering for them louder than other skaters. But some countries can get a little too obnoxious.

The Rio Olympics were another example where the crowds were absolutely rude to many athletes - cheering when they failed, or yelling to distract them. I discussed this with my Brazilian friend and he was rather candid... like, "Well, that's just how we are! We're loud, we're passionate, we're cool with our opponents messing up because that helps us win. We don't care if you hate us or think we need to be better sports. This is our culture and mindset towards competitions and it won't change." (I know he wasn't speaking for every Brazilian, but it was pretty frank of him and I could see how that manifested in the Rio audience's behaviour... and did remind me of Sochi).

I mean, you could argue that it's a sporting field and athletes should be able to deal with that, and crowds should be allowed to use every (legal) advantage to help their home athletes. In volleyball, you wouldn't be able to stand an Iran match, where they literally blare horns every time the opponent touches the ball -- now, imagine being the opponent! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP92wjObJKw

But there's something to be said about being an audience that maintains a supportive environment and not a hostile one. I'm all for a crowd getting enthused and excited, but there's comes a point where it gets to be rude.

And I'm speaking about this particular event (and Sochi). I know Russia has hosted other international skating competitions where they have been classier in the past.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
There's nothing wrong with cheering on your own skaters or cheering for them louder than other skaters. But some countries can get a little too obnoxious.

The Rio Olympics were another example where the crowds were absolutely rude to many athletes - cheering when they failed, or yelling to distract them. I discussed this with my Brazilian friend and he was rather candid... like, "Well, that's just how we are! We're loud, we're passionate, we're cool with our opponents messing up because that helps us win. We don't care if you hate us or think we need to be better sports. This is our culture and mindset towards competitions and it won't change." (I know he wasn't speaking for every Brazilian, but it was pretty frank of him and I could see how that manifested in the Rio audience's behaviour... and did remind me of Sochi).

I mean, you could argue that it's a sporting field and athletes should be able to deal with that, and crowds should be allowed to use every (legal) advantage to help their home athletes. In volleyball, you wouldn't be able to stand an Iran match, where they literally blare horns every time the opponent touches the ball -- now, imagine being the opponent! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP92wjObJKw

But there's something to be said about being an audience that maintains a supportive environment and not a hostile one. I'm all for a crowd getting enthused and excited, but there's comes a point where it gets to be rude.

And I'm speaking about this particular event (and Sochi). I know Russia has hosted other international skating competitions where they have been classier in the past.

I think though that this is what home field advantage means though. There is a reason why nearly ever team has a better record at home than away. Travel is part of it but the crowd is a big part too. Isn't that why the crowd is sometimes called the 13th man?

I think part of this might be because of the ban. No doubt Russians feel extra patriotic after they were nearly banned and now can only send a team that isn't allowed it's own flag or uniform. Kind of fosters a us against them mentality.

Crowds can be ugly. I've seen tennis fans boo and hiss and disrupt players. I've seen people applaud when gymnasts fall. It's ugly behaviour but I choose to see it an individual bad behavior rather than a reflection of national character. We (you and I, fellow Canadian) probably don't have the right to judge Russians and our judgement is largely unimportant to them. If Russians have a problem with other Russians behaviour at sporting events I'm sure they self police. Not unlike here when some Hockey crowds are so bad that fans in cities have to write letters to editors and clubs offer formal apology to visiting fans from other teams.

Step Sequence4

JULLLIEEEEETTTT!
Final Flight
So sad for J/C.... one decimal off the podium.. I personally think they should’ve been ahead of Z/E but I get why they weren’t. I still don’t think that free will win T/M anything big, but they were on today so congrats to them.

Artemisa

Final Flight
First I'm not russian

But is true... if is another country aplaude their skaters it's ok ... if is russia OMG what atrocity .... and the russian aplaude all other countries ... I don't remenber one skate that wasn´t aplaude ...not like canadian for example in GP

_ I think that 1,2,3 in the pairs free skate was fair .... J/C weren't good today ( sorry but is true)... they were very slow in the ice and with a lot of mistakes in almost all elements ...

_ And for last: I like the LP T/M ... It's different ... it's not for the 100 time carmen, or other classic music ...or the same style over and over again ....