2018 Four Continents Mens SP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018 Four Continents Mens SP

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Uff, this starts at 3:30 am for me on East coast...I doubt I'll have the power to watch it live.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Finally! A FUN competition! Does 4CC have a Gala? Want to see Julian's EX from Nebelhorn again...!!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Finally! A FUN competition! Does 4CC have a Gala? Want to see Julian's EX from Nebelhorn again...!!

Wasn't 4CC last year the most intense competition ever? People were posting in the Men's SP thread weeks in advance. This is relaxation! A nice little competition to calm down before the storm! ;)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wasn't 4CC last year the most intense competition ever? People were posting in the Men's SP thread weeks in advance. This is relaxation! A nice little competition to calm down before the storm! ;)

Last year was at the Olympic rink, so nearly every top eligible skater was there. No "I'll skip this one" syndrome. Nathan Chen had just come off his LP win (overall 2) at GPF and phenomenal US Nats performance - and we ALL wanted to see this competition go down between Nathan, Shoma, Hanyu, Boyang, and Patrick. It was worth the build-up.

This year, it still has some very good skaters, but also a nostalgic feel, as I believe this will be the farewell for many.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Ah man, 4CC last year was the competition that got me posting on this forum. Time flies.

yude

Record Breaker
JI think for Elladj and Kevin this might be their last international competition. Kind of a sad moment for them. I hope they both have epic skates.

Is this the last international competition for any of the other men?

BTW, unless they go to worlds this would be I/M's last one too.

:cry:

According to the broadcast of Japanese nationals, Mura's coach (his father) was implying it was likely to be the last nationals for his son. Hope we'll have official news after 4CC.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Last year's was a nail biting, stomach churning, barn burner of a competition. Please, I can't take that again! :dance2: This year we have to wait til the Olympics for the nervousness! Still, it's good to have a tune up prior to the Olympics. Best of luck to all the guys.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
JI think for Elladj and Kevin this might be their last international competition. Kind of a sad moment for them. I hope they both have epic skates.

Is this the last international competition for any of the other men?

BTW, unless they go to worlds this would be I/M's last one too.

:cry:

If D/R place on the podium at individual event, they could skip the Worlds, so I/M may say farewell at Worlds instead. Elladj is in 4th at Nationals, so even if Patrick retires right after Olympics, his chance of going to Worlds looks slim. I hope Elladj and Kevin do their best at 4CC. Watching swan songs of skaters about to retire always brings bittersweet feelings.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States

Yes absolutely! Really looking forward to this.. as I said in Jason's FF, my alarm clock is set (for 3 am!!), coffee pot programmed, breakfast food stocked and ready ..:biggrin: let the games begin!! :yahoo:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Last year's was a nail biting, stomach churning, barn burner of a competition. Please, I can't take that again! :dance2: This year we have to wait til the Olympics for the nervousness! Still, it's good to have a tune up prior to the Olympics. Best of luck to all the guys.

Except for some guys - the US and Canadian men, for example - this isn’t a tune up for the Olympics.

Putina

On the Ice
It'll be interesting, but my top picks for podium is Shoma, Jason and either Max/Misha/the other japanese team. Hoping Junhwan could skate his best too

Edit: also Brendan! I almost forgot about him

What about Boyang Jin? Barring a disaster I would think he will be on the podium here.

livetoskate

On the Ice
According to the broadcast of Japanese nationals, Mura's coach (his father) was implying it was likely to be the last nationals for his son. Hope we'll have official news after 4CC.

Oh no, I was hoping to be able to see him compete in person someday. Guess I'll have to figure out how to fly to Japan to watch him in a show if he retires.

livetoskate

On the Ice
What about Boyang Jin? Barring a disaster I would think he will be on the podium here.
Yes, if Jin is fully healed he is likely to medal-- or win if Shoma flubs up. As much as I like them all, I don't think the American men will medal.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Except for some guys - the US and Canadian men, for example - this isn’t a tune up for the Olympics.

Of course you're right. I think I'm STILL not accepting that Jason and Max aren't going to the Olympics!!! :drama:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
So nice to see Donovan Carrillo in the line up. :cheer:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm looking forward to seeing Max skate again and hopefully exorcise his demons from Nationals.

And of course Team Australia :yay:

Hopefully Andrew won't be too tired from pulling double duty!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I wonder how much motivation skaters like Aaron and Hochstein have in trying to skate well in this competition as it´s not leading to anywhere, so to speak... Personally, I sure hope to see successful competition for them both!

Hopefully Jin´s injuries are over and he can skate here near to his potential as the Olympics are so close. Also looking forward to see especially the performances from Uno, Yan and Ten. Has Ten found his Olympic condition finally?

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I wonder how much motivation skaters like Aaron and Hochstein have in trying to skate well in this competition as it´s not leading to anywhere, so to speak... Personally, I sure hope to see successful competition for them both!

Hopefully Jin´s injuries are over and he can skate here near to his potential as the Olympics are so close. Also looking forward to see especially the performances from Uno, Yan and Ten. Has Ten found his Olympic condition finally?

Just imagine Denis Ten skating to a bronze medal next month.....I could just imagine him pulling that of. Under the radar for 4 years and suddenly, bam!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I wonder how much motivation skaters like Aaron and Hochstein have in trying to skate well in this competition as it´s not leading to anywhere, so to speak... Personally, I sure hope to see successful competition for them both! ...

For Max, Grant, Jason, and others for whom Taipei is not leading to the Olympics, Four Continents is an opportunity to ... (for example):

(1) earn prize money;
(2) earn ISU Championship medal(s) -- including the "small" medals for SP or FS.​

As for "anywhere" else:

Lest anyone wonder: Max has said nothing about retiring, and we have mixed signals re Grant.

For those with any thought of continuing next season, Four Continents also is an opportunity to earn points toward ISU World Standings.​

Good luck to all the men :yay:.

ETA:
LOL, I was trying to be impartial, but who am I kidding? Sending an extra big dose of good luck to Max :luv17: :hap85:.​