2018 US Nats good juveniles, intermediates | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018 US Nats good juveniles, intermediates

concorde

Medalist
No triples are allowed in Juv.

Intermediates can do triples. 3-2 combinations are somewhat common. I believe 3-3 are allowed but I have yet to see one from an Intermediate lady (and not that common in novice ladies). 3-1-3 have been done by intermediate ladies but they are very rare.

truthbooth

On the Ice
I quite enjoyed Indi Cha (SC of Boston) and Alyssa Chan (Dallas FSC) in intermediate ladies yesterday. I also enjoyed Haley Scott (First Coast FSC) and she could definitely move up in the standings if she hits her triples.

Wishing best of luck to all competitors in the free skating!

sk8dc

On the Ice
Is anyone else unable to get IceNetwork feed? What is going on? Any help would be great. I have been on hold for 18 minutes and counting

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Juvenile Dance competition ends tomorrow.
Mon Jan 12:15 PMJuvenile Dance / Free DanceStart order

Juvenile Dance

• Start time: Jan 01, 2:15 PM Pacific Standard Time
  • Venue: Solar4America Ice
    [*=right]Judge detail scores

StartNamePrevious
PlaceScore
1Veronica Chunikhin, Peninsula SC
Maxim Korotcov, Washington FSC
2Saige Chaseley, Skokie Valley SC
Aidan Bell, Skokie Valley SC
3Juliana Newton, St. Moritz ISC
Evan Mullins, Stockton FSC
4Julia Epps, IceWorks SC
Blake Gilman, Peninsula SC
5Avery Weishaus, Detroit SC
Laurent Sainte-Marie, Detroit SC
6Amber Clift, St. Paul FSC
Marcellus Krueger, St. Paul FSC
7Macy Halim, Amherst SC
Noah Lafornara, Niagara University SC
8Emma L'Esperance, SC of Boston
Mika Amdour, SC of Boston
9Olivia Ilin, Washington FSC
Dylan Cain, Washington FSC
10Kristina Bland, Detroit SC
Gabriel Francis, Detroit SC
11Zoe Sensenbrenner, Peninsula SC
Matthew Sperry, SC of Northern Virginia
12Jenna Hauer, SC of Wilmington
Benjamin Starr, Charter Oak FSC

Last edited:

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is anyone else unable to get IceNetwork feed? What is going on? Any help would be great. I have been on hold for 18 minutes and counting

Anyone else having a problem logging in to Ice Network? Many folks on FSU/Twitter are.

I was on hold for an hour and a half but finally got it resolved. The person who helped me said it was an issue that affected a lot of people but had gotten resolved about five minutes before I talked to him. My account had frozen because of my repeated log ins, so he unlocked it and I was good to go. Finally!! Did you get it resolved too?

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Julia Epps and Blake Gilman, for cute factor alone you need to look them up on IN. So adorable!!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Intermediate Dance FD Start Order​

• Start time: Jan 02, 12:10 PM Pacific Standard Time
  • Venue: Solar4America Ice
    [*=right]Judge detail scores

StartNamePattern Dances
PlaceScore
1Isabella Alexis, Arctic FSC
Ethan Alday, All Year FSC
2Hope Noelle Lassiter, Lone Star FSC
Luke Anderson, St. Peters FSA
3Raffaella Koncius, Kent Valley FSC
Dane Ayers, Coyotes SC of Arizona
4Maria Brown, Pavilion SC of Cleveland Heights
Marius Driscoll, Pavilion SC of Cleveland Heights
5Kelsey Schaub, IceWorks SC
Anthony Haddad, All Year FSC
6Alexandra Johnston, Dallas FSC
Maxim Zharkov, Dallas FSC
7Sabrina Foti, All Year FSC
Christian Bennett, FSC of Charlotte
8Elliana Peal, Skokie Valley SC
Ethan Peal, Skokie Valley SC
9Anna Gissibl, Philadelphia SC & HS
Alexander Colucci, Peninsula SC
10Nastia Efimova, Triangle FSC
Jonathan Zhao, Triangle FSC
11Claire Cain, Washington FSC
Andrei Davydov, Washington FSC

Last edited:

HolySalchow

Spectator
I agree with this post. I also had a daughter who competed through the junior level. I think it would be a good idea for USFSA to increase the number of girls qualifying to sectionals and nationals at the Juv, Intermediate, and Novice levels. This way kids would actually stay in the sport longer. I think the great equalizer in skating is puberty. I saw so many talented kids leave once their bodies changed...they looked like giants up against little 11 year old girls. By the time they are junior ladies things start to even out a bit. The benefits to this are many:

- More high level ladies skating at the local rinks inspiring other younger skaters
- Reduce the drop out rate and help keep local clubs, coaches, and rinks in business
- Reduce the injury rate as the need for triple lutz in intermediate would be less

As for the these levels competing at Nationals...I like that they compete with the senior and junior levels but it feels like an after thought. Perhaps USFSA could provide these kids with a separate junior nationals event but also invite them to nationals to be recognized or some type of exhibition on the ice.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Anyone watch the intermediate dance? The Peal silblings winning was a bit of an upset I think? They were the cleanest out of the four, so not a surprise, per se. I enjoyed watching them!

They also have like the most awesome high five sequence!

Did you see the Peals? I caught their tango and was very impressed. Very sharp.

Now I have to go back and watch that!

Last edited:

Scout

Final Flight
- Reduce the injury rate as the need for triple lutz in intermediate would be less

What's the purpose of limiting juvenile to 2a, but then allowing 3 lutz in intermediate? That seems like an awfully big jump (pun was not intended :laugh:).

gkelly

Record Breaker
Back in the 1990s, there weren't limits. The rare intermediate and even rarer juvenile would be attempting one or two different triples in the freeskate, usually 3S or 3T. (AP McDonough was a rare intermediate who attempted 3Lz.) (Short program jump limits were much more restrictive then than now. In the mid-90s, which I think is when the intermediate SP was introduced, the required jumps were 1A, solo 2S or 2Lo, and any double-double or double-single combination. The best jumpers would then do 2A+2T combo and 2Lo out of steps, or 2A+2Lo and 2S from steps.)

With 6.0 judging, this meant that skaters who couldn't actually rotate and land those jumps often felt they needed to show that they were trying, by including jumps they couldn't yet do in their programs. Lots of cheated and failed attempts, not many clean ones. The judges preferred to see clean programs.

Around the turn of the century USFSA Governing Council voted to put in jump caps, including no triples in juvenile and only two out of 2S, 2T, or 2Lo in Preliminary. I don't know the official reasoning, but I think it was partly to encourage skaters to focus on improving their basics before attempting harder jumps, partly to get rid of attempts at jumps that skaters had no hope yet of rotating, and partly to discourage sandbagging. I heard a story that a coach asked at that Governing Council "What about a juvenile who can do a triple jump?" and the rest of the room chorused "Test up!"

Then we got IJS, which especially at first had severe built-in penalties for cheated jumps, so skaters were less likely to try triples (or double axels in juvenile) unless they could at least land them clean in practice.

Meanwhile, the jump content in intermediate was increasing slowly but steadily, which the short program rules evolved to reflect by first allowing a choice of 1A or 2A as the solo axel, then allowing one triple in either the combination or the solo jump, then allowing two triples, and finally as of a year or two ago allowing 3-3 in the combination.

And because US ladies were not keeping with the highest jump standards in the rest of the world at the higher levels, a few years ago they introduced a bonus for non-downgraded double axels in juvenile, double axels and triples at intermediate, and triples and triple-triple combinations at novice. So now the ambitious intermediates and novices are focusing more on adding jump content, and the ones who succeed are most likely to get to Nationals, while for juveniles it's more about getting the double axel clean and aiming to stand out on spins and PCS.

(Among the juvenile and intermediate fields as a whole around the country, double axels and triples are very rare and it's more about getting the rest of the doubles clean. Cheated doubles are very common at these levels, especially juvenile.)

Also, keep in mind that juveniles don't have short programs and only get 5 jump passes in their freeskates.

I don't know whether there is any thought about allowing triples in the juvenile freeskate. I haven't heard of any. My guess is that the advice to an ambitious young skater who's ready to try triples in competition would remain the same: Test up!