2018 Worlds Pairs Free Skate | Page 59 | Golden Skate

2018 Worlds Pairs Free Skate

Jedi

On the Ice
Goodbye, Aliona. An amazing career.

Is she retiring? I think she is the diva from that song Never Enough - nothing is enough for Savchenko. They will have to carry her off in pink pleather and swarovzki studded spandex.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We need a Canadian prayer circle.

Bring all the Canadiana you can find: bring your toques, chesterfields, bagged milk, tragically hip albums, barenaked ladies concert t-shirts, 150th celebration memorabilia and, of course, William Shatner posters.

:rofl: now I finally know what people are referring to downthread. :)

Also, I want to correct myself from earlier. I may have wrongly given the impression that I saw Michael drop Kirsten in person at Can. nationals. I saw it on camera, I think in real time. But that, I'm sure, doesn't compare to the horror of your seeing it in person, right in front of your eyes.

And conversely, that may be part of why I do feel reassured to having seen them in person in the fall. He just looks more frail or spindly on camera than he does in person, to me anyway. And maybe part of what I was feeling was his confidence in himself, and her confidence in him. :)

LadyB

Record Breaker
First of all, to all you wonderful Canadian guys, who enhanced my knowlede about bagged milk tonight: Thank you so much! I wish I could get back to you individually, but for some reason the PM notification never links up with the exact response and the thread is rather long by now... Sorry, but it's been great fun. :rofl2:

Secondly, some people here keep wondering who's responsible for the Candyman and suggest T/M should get a different choreographer. I'm dead sure that Zhenya and Volodya are old enough to say 'yes' or 'no' to a programme, so... I like them and I'm happy for their silver medal, but they knew what they were doing. Also, I'm convinced, and I said that before, that Vale and Ondrej would have made this an absolute hit. :cool14:

I'm always glad when Pairs is over, then I can relax and enjoy. Night, night! :bed:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Okay this is enough. I am happy but you aren't a virgin Aliona when it comes to world titles. I know she is happy but for goodness sake woman you were the heavy favorite. I mean you were up against Candyman! Its not like you solved cancer or world war. Just be grateful LOL. It was a great skate indeed but her but it is like the French in ice dancing I am not sure they should be getting such great score when the skaters are unequally yoked. One skater definitely has lower skills than the others and that should be reflected in the scores. I am glad T and M got a medal and REDEMPTION. Happy for the French - knew it would happen some time BUT this might be one of those bronze or medals- you have had your chance now move on. You got lucky - now don't push it.

Might be she cried because this was her last competitive skate ever? Just a thought.

franzkatka

On the Ice
Okay this is enough. I am happy but you aren't a virgin Aliona when it comes to world titles. I know she is happy but for goodness sake woman you were the heavy favorite. I mean you were up against Candyman! Its not like you solved cancer or world war. Just be grateful LOL. It was a great skate indeed but her but it is like the French in ice dancing I am not sure they should be getting such great score when the skaters are unequally yoked. One skater definitely has lower skills than the others and that should be reflected in the scores. I am glad T and M got a medal and REDEMPTION. Happy for the French - knew it would happen some time BUT this might be one of those bronze or medals- you have had your chance now move on. You got lucky - now don't push it.

Wow.

LandShark

Rinkside
Oh he's the boogy woogy bugle boy from Company B , bop bop , bop bop , bop bop , bop bop...........that was in there , wasn't it.....?

See , it's not that bad..........bop bop bop bop............

Stop it.......

Jedi

On the Ice
Some quick comments. Happy for the French James and Cipres. But the more I watch the less I am impressed. The three Russian teams were all very proficient but not wow. Not unique or extremely excellent on their elements that T and M are certainly up there. Oh my the Knerims. one spot for next year. I am losing faith in this team. I know they had injuries. But it has been a long haul to the top and it doesn't look like it is happening. The twist and all looked so promising. I am surprised in some ways how MT and M did so well here. Kirsten is a tough cookie; Michael is doing his best to catch up. A huge concern has been his apparent lack of strength (not even technique). MT isn't that big really. But wow they did well to save Canada two spots. Now can the American/Canadian guy Messing save Canada's men? Korea has come down to earth - maybe because it wasn't in Korea. And the Italians were a huge disappointment. THey had the best shot other than maybe Russia and their generic teams to earn three spots.

LadyB

Record Breaker
I think I saw all the PM's now. Thanks again, guys.

Bagged milk! Haven’t thought about that since I moved out of Canada 10 years ago, fond memories of getting ticked at my college roommates when they put the pitcher back in the fridge without changing out the empty milk bag

The pitcher thing got me the most! How much effort for just a bleeding pint (or more) of milk? When that bag pops, there is a lot crying about the spilled matter I presume? :laugh: Sorry couldn't resist.

shut up about the milk

When I read that, I roared with laughter (I still do). I really, really don't know what I'd do without you guys! FS would not be the same. :luv17:

MIM

Medalist
I think FS should be open for different masses of people. Does people listen to Christina Agiluera nowdays? Yes. Why shouldnt skating programme exist to that music? Using Despacito in ice dance is worse than that because a lot of teams use it, so it become contra productive. One program to Cristina Agiulera is fine for me.

1. I have no problem with existence of Christina Aguilera and her fan base, but I have a problem with lyrics of CandyMan. (and there are far better music in her album.) There can be some other pairs who better fit to skate to CandyMan and love to skate to CandyMan. (Can you come up with anyone? Cause I have no one.) But they are not T/M. T/M look timid and embarrassed skating to it. Or, they cannot express the fine nuance of Candyman in their capacity. (I don't blame them) So, if the skaters are not fitting to the music, it is not right to force them to skate to the one in order to seek the variety of the skating music.

2. Going out of box is always risky. And the risk is rewarded when the idea was executed with the packaging accordingly. Otherwise, you get criticized.
I don't remember which teams skated to Despacito. Because their dances do not stand out. However, T/M's skating stood out, hence their mismatched program/subpar packaging stands out as a glaring mistake.

Whichever music the skaters choose, they get to skate one (or more) season. Then, shouldn't that music elevate your skating and explore the freedom of expression? I doubt what T/M could have gained out of this program this season.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The pitcher thing got me the most! How much effort for just a bleeding pint (or more) of milk? When that bag pops, there is a lot crying about the spilled matter I presume? :laugh: Sorry couldn't resist.
It's actually very convenient, because the bags are much easier to dispose of than cartons.

SpiffySpiders

On the Ice
It is questionable to judge what younger generations needs. You dont expect they enjoy seeing someone skating to classical music all the time. Because, they dont. The things are just changing, no matter if we like those changes or not (well its hard to like the changes). But new generations are new generations, something completely different from us ;)

Hi.
Sorry to jump in here but you keep saying this and, respectfully, I don't think you're correct.

I suspect there are quite a few posters right here on GS who would fall into the "new generations" and yet I don't see much praise for the program. Saying that younger audiences will enjoy skating more if there's popular music from ten or so years ago playing during some programs doesn't show much respect for taste.

It isn't the music choice that's the problem - though Candyman is not a good song for skating in part due to the lyrics. It isn't that the song is modern, if a few years out of date, that's the problem - other teams skate to currently popular music, including the bronze medalists who use Disturbed's hit cover from 2015/16 (and I love it). Woodkid is a popular choice (which I'm thankful for). I hear more Imagine Dragons and Coldplay than I ever thought possible in my nightmares thanks to skating. No, the entire issue here is that T/M are not the right team for playful choreography set to an innuendo-filled song like Candyman. That this came on the heels of Music (is My Life) and makes folks look back fondly on that questionable choice is mind-blowing, imo.

It's getting to crisis time, this team needs their friends to come together and give them a music choice intervention.

irriya

On the Ice
In my mind, Aljona is really the best pairs lady in history now. I remembered that 8 years ago, when she performed sending the clown, one commentator said it suited her so well because even ss had won world championships at that time, they were not considered the favorite by the judges. Their programs were so unique and kind of quirky compared to others. And I never imagine that she had such a long way but finally got her Olympic gold, and two world records, which would be really really hard to break. She's such a great athlete that never gave up. Big Congratulations to Aljona and Bruno!

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Hi.
Sorry to jump in here but you keep saying this and, respectfully, I don't think you're correct.

I suspect there are quite a few posters right here on GS who would fall into the "new generations" and yet I don't see much praise for the program. Saying that younger audiences will enjoy skating more if there's popular music from ten or so years ago playing during some programs doesn't show much respect for taste.

It isn't the music choice that's the problem - though Candyman is not a good song for skating in part due to the lyrics. It isn't that the song is modern, if a few years out of date, that's the problem - other teams skate to currently popular music, including the bronze medalists who use Disturbed's hit cover from 2015/16 (and I love it). Woodkid is a popular choice (which I'm thankful for). I hear more Imagine Dragons and Coldplay than I ever thought possible in my nightmares thanks to skating. No, the entire issue here is that T/M are not the right team for playful choreography set to an innuendo-filled song like Candyman. That this came on the heels of Music (is My Life) and makes folks look back fondly on that questionable choice is mind-blowing, imo.

It's getting to crisis time, this team needs their friends to come together and give them a music choice intervention.

To be fair, Cold Play was my favorite band when i was a teen, and personaly for me its already boring to hear them in FS programe. With Muse is the same. I would like to see someone skating to Britney Spears because it would be fun and nobody did it. But my point is - choice is a choice and only that, you are free to like someones choice and someones to not. Im free to defend the freedom to choose, and thats it. Cause the truth is - choice of music or style is not something which can make you better or worse skater. If you all really think otherwise, then we will talk again next season when we will be able to see if their 'skating' (and their scores as something which reflect their skating) is gonna be better based on 'better choice of music/style/lyrics' ;)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

No need to trivialize their accomplishment. They won by a lot yes, but they still had to skate! It's not like this was handed on a platter to them even if they were the faves. And had S/H or D/R competed they still probably would have won if they put out those two skates.

Luck doesn't make you land jumps and throws - training does. Regardless of how easy or tough the competition was, they still skated superbly.

Rikku

Just enjoying the skating
Final Flight
small snippet from short interview S/M gave

Q Where did the energy come from?
Aliona: I think today, our friends and family who were here with us, gave that to us. Our coaches supporting us..because we really were real down...thank you to everyone.

Q You were really tired and still such a performance. How did you do it?
Bruno: I will say, first with the head, with the heart. And try to not think about the pain and the tiredness. We just enjoyed this program one more time.

Q Hand on your heart: After these achievements, olympic champion, sixth world's title..are you satisfied, are you thinking 'yes, this could be a career end'.. for competitions at least?
Aliona: With a crying eye...yeah... I'll have to think first. We gave a perfect performance today; it wasn't just the cherry on the cake, but also the cream as well. You couldn't wish for anything better. But the best is yet to come.

Q Which is?
Aliona: I don't know yet.

Q Vacation?
Bruno: Yeah, a little bit of rest. We deserve that now.

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
Aliona/Bruno is the only pair that really stand out tonight and deserve the win and the record, but great congratulations goes also to Vanessa/Morgan, Vanessa's reaction after the fall was impressive.

I'm a bit unhappy about Valentina's performance, the pressure really got here this time, especially in the short program.
Still they don't have said if they retire, probably a lot depends on what also Anna and Luca want to do, as Anna is Hotarek's wife.