2018 Worlds Pairs Free Skate | Page 60 | Golden Skate

2018 Worlds Pairs Free Skate

Leelee425

On the Ice
Ok Christina Aguilera was popular during my day and I’m 30...so if 30s is the new generation this forum just made my night! If what was in my junior high CD case and in my Napster downloads is the next new exciting thing in skating than I hope to see someone resurrect Will Smith’s Gettin Jiggy With It for next season

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
You know - they didnt make that program to satisfy someones personal taste. It is just stupid to expect from skaters to do that. And i will defend anyones freedom to choose the music and style they wanted to. First, because that brings variety in the sport, and skaters should use that freedom to skate to any music and style existing in the world. And second, because choosing the music and style is not something which is telling how good skater you are, nor define your scores.

Amen! There's something weird to me about people declaring so and so shouldn't be allowed to skate to a certain kind of music. Unless it's flat out racist or sexist or homophobic everything should be on the table.

I do feel the lyrics is what caused the problem, I really like that sort of peppy old school stuff. I wonder how the program would have played without them.

Still not getting the costume hate though :p I think Evgenia looks quite nice in yellow, she could probably pull any colour off I think!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you to the skaters for providing us a wonderful evening of entertainment. Congratulations to all medalists. Please keep going Aljona and Bruno, especially now that Bruno is starting to look like an Olympian!

Extra special thank you to this wonderful audience that was kind to my fellow Americans -- the Knierams. What a devastating skate for them, even though the audience tried its best to lift them up. People were applauding through most of the program. I'm just thankful they didn't hurt themselves. Your applause gave them the will to get through it! Haven't cried at a competition in a long time, but Alexa's tears really got to me.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hi.
That this came on the heels of Music (is My Life) and makes folks look back fondly on that questionable choice is mind-blowing, imo.

It's getting to crisis time, this team needs their friends to come together and give them a music choice intervention.

Funny story...I actually noticed T/M because of that program, before they weren't on my radar, but for some reason I absolutely loved that program! It was so kitchy and 80s it was just amazing! Their SP for that season was also my absolute favourite!

So perhaps I'm just hoping they won't go too classical on us, I fear they may fade into the background if they do!

BTW wher was Mozer? I didn't see her at all today!

Leelee425

On the Ice
I do feel the lyrics is what caused the problem, I really like that sort of peppy old school stuff. I wonder how the program would have played without them.
!

I’m not sure it was just lyrics. Yes hearing “make my panties drop” at the olympics was strange...but I could tune out the lyrics as someone said and focus on the beat and the overall story without zeroing in on one specific lyric. My issue was I just don’t think they had the chemistry or cheeky performance needed to pull this piece off. It’s a song about sexual attraction and flirting right? Clearly it was choreographed to be a literal translation of the music with the sort of sex kitten moves they were giving her to do coupled with the “oh la la”...but they just didn’t have that oozing sexual tension/chemistry between them like a Virtue Moir pair. Nor are they a couple that really pulls off the “we don’t take ourselves seriously, this is a tongue in cheek joke” hammy routine like Marchei and Hotarek. At least in my eyes they didn’t have that kind of vibe or chemistry, so I didn’t like it. I think Evgenia got a little more comfortable in the character as the season went on and did give a little more energy, smiled, and tried to be a little cheeky with the audience, but when the man skating with her looks very stern, not feeding into her energy and looks like he’s not having a good time...it still doesn’t work. Even when they were knocking the elements out of the park at Euros he was barely cracking a smile, Vlad your program is supposed to be fun! He looked like a man on a blind date who finds the lady he’s with to be completely obnoxious. They have the right to skate to whatever they please, but different couples have different chemistry and connection and I just don’t think this worked in their favor based on that.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ok Christina Aguilera was popular during my day and I’m 30...so if 30s is the new generation this forum just made my night! If what was in my junior high CD case and in my Napster downloads is the next new exciting thing in skating than I hope to see someone resurrect Will Smith’s Gettin Jiggy With It for next season

:laugh2: I’m twice your age, but I know Will Smith, and that would be epic. Big Willy Style! :biggrin:

Just jumping off, and not directed at your post, of course a skater is free to skate to what they want. And I am free to say that hearing panties drop, cherries pop, popping corks for any guy I see, you give me feeee——vah, et alia, is inappropriate, embarrassing, and completely distracts me from any virtues the skating may have.

YMMV.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I wasn't able to watch the pairs free live (or any of the events so far) due to work. However, after youtubing Aliona and Bruno's performance first, I don't think I will youtube the other pairs' performances because they will pale in comparison. This, I think was an even better performance than OG and generated an even better audience response. Since Skate America, this program grew better with each exquisite performance. Plus Aliona's reaction and thanking the audience (most likely her swansong as Joanne Conway? on B.ESP mentioned) prior to leaving the ice was very touching. Congrats on the OG and WG!

twirlingblades

Medalist
I think FS should be open for different masses of people. Do people listen Christina Agiluera nowdays? Yes. Why shouldnt skating programme exist to that music? Using Despacito in ice dance is worse than that because a lot of teams use it, so it become contra productive. One program to Cristina Agiulera is fine for me.

There’s nothing wrong with Christina, a ton of people have skated to Burlesque, for example. But a song with lines about cherry popping and pantry dropping... if they had taken out the lyrics and gotten better costuming, it would’ve been fine imo.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
No need to trivialize their accomplishment. They won by a lot yes, but they still had to skate! It's not like this was handed on a platter to them even if they were the faves. And had S/H or D/R competed they still probably would have won if they put out those two skates.

Luck doesn't make you land jumps and throws - training does. Regardless of how easy or tough the competition was, they still skated superbly.

I didn't deny it was a great skate; but pointed out some issues - look at the depth of edge and confidence ofSavchenko v.Bruno. Anyways they clearly were the best andwere heavy favorites. Now maybe Aliona can move on to the next chapter.

perspicuosity

Rinkside
I wasn't able to watch the pairs free live (or any of the events so far) due to work. However, after youtubing Aliona and Bruno's performance first, I don't think I will youtube the other pairs' performances because they will pale in comparison. This, I think was an even better performance than OG and generated an even better audience response. Since Skate America, this program grew better with each exquisite performance. Plus Aliona's reaction and thanking the audience (most likely her swansong as Joanne Conway? on B.ESP mentioned) prior to leaving the ice was very touching. Congrats on the OG and WG!

If you want to watch a second one, try James / Cipres. They're not usually my style, but today they really pulled it together. At their (maybe) last competition, they finally carried themselves like an elite team.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Thank you to the skaters for providing us a wonderful evening of entertainment. Congratulations to all medalists. Please keep going Aljona and Bruno, especially now that Bruno is starting to look like an Olympian!

Extra special thank you to this wonderful audience that was kind to my fellow Americans -- the Knierams. What a devastating skate for them, even though the audience tried its best to lift them up. People were applauding through most of the program. I'm just thankful they didn't hurt themselves. Your applause gave them the will to get through it! Haven't cried at a competition in a long time, but Alexa's tears really got to me.

Dear Arriba627, the crowd's reaction, myself including, really teared me up by its sheer force, Alexa's tears were my undoing... We clapped practically until the end after that botched spiral with full power we had. I cried and an elderly coupe sitting on my left started to console me, asking if I am an American. I told them no, I am not, but I feel for them all the same way, they are all my heroes, Alexa especially after all she went through to be back in competition.

As a crowd, we tried our best to envelope Alexa in our support, it felt unreal.

Also, another story, the same coupe seeing me getting out and waive multiple flags one after another asked me before last group how many I have, I said 10 and they gasped, laughing and asked why this many, don't I have a fave. I responded that I came here to cheer them all and I would get much more flags if logistics and finances allowed me to. After me screaming like crazy for Italians, Chinese pairs, French, Germans they hugged me, thanking for being there and engaged them also in this emotion, despite being a bit disappointed by Italians' placement.

The detailed impressions will follow probably after I am back home, but last night was magical. Completed with Vanessa hug and her and Morgan signing my French flag.

Nika09

On the Ice
So so happy for Vanessa and Morgan!! They were amazing last few seasons and finally they are on the World's podium! It could be silver without that unfortunate fall but anyway.
They are exquisite, fresh and new on this field and as for me have the best chemistry in this World's. I really like their "Say Something" FP but this one is one of the best!
Congratulations!

gioccia

On the Ice
The judging is a disgrace. Scandalous. Sloppy slow elements of MH got higher GOE than clean fast elements from AR. Not fair. I am almost sure that a scandal is coming in the Ladies Free. If a clean skate from Caro will be scored higher than Zagi's, Eteri shoul protest.
How come there were NO Rus snd Can judges in the SP?

Jana

On the Ice
Duskova&Bidar
They had the black and white striped with orange and yellow costumes at the Olympics from what I remember. They must have gotten lost?? His looked like a practice outfit. Her dress was random for the theme. I think they had to throw something together.
He forgets his T-shirt at home :( Some explanation here (but in Czech and I don't have enough time to translate it for you https://sport.idnes.cz/ms-v-krasobrusleni-duskova-bidar-d44-/sporty.aspx?c=A180323_011220_sporty_tm2)
The previous dresses match the theme better.

auser

Record Breaker
A few words on the top 3 :

James/Cipres : I have never seen them skate like that, ever. They were on fire, and just giving everything even with the fall, they were going for it. Surprised yes, but the program was brilliant, the mistake was just a mistake. It was just superb, and so well deserved. :dance:

Tarasova/Morozov : They might be one of the most talented pair I've ever seen. Let's not waste such a talent on terrible programs, thank you. Lines, power, elements, are top notch. But if one day they find their inner "art" or creativity and it works, we're in for a treat.

Savchenko/Massot : :jaw: Legendary. And... thank you.
:agree:. I would be happy to see them find their core artistry shine through as Shibutani/Shibutani's did a few years ago(even though I am not a great fan of Coldplay;)).

viennaskater

Medalist
I’m not sure it was just lyrics. Yes hearing “make my panties drop” at the olympics was strange...but I could tune out the lyrics as someone said and focus on the beat and the overall story without zeroing in on one specific lyric. My issue was I just don’t think they had the chemistry or cheeky performance needed to pull this piece off. It’s a song about sexual attraction and flirting right? Clearly it was choreographed to be a literal translation of the music with the sort of sex kitten moves they were giving her to do coupled with the “oh la la”...but they just didn’t have that oozing sexual tension/chemistry between them like a Virtue Moir pair. Nor are they a couple that really pulls off the “we don’t take ourselves seriously, this is a tongue in cheek joke” hammy routine like Marchei and Hotarek. At least in my eyes they didn’t have that kind of vibe or chemistry, so I didn’t like it. I think Evgenia got a little more comfortable in the character as the season went on and did give a little more energy, smiled, and tried to be a little cheeky with the audience, but when the man skating with her looks very stern, not feeding into her energy and looks like he’s not having a good time...it still doesn’t work. Even when they were knocking the elements out of the park at Euros he was barely cracking a smile, Vlad your program is supposed to be fun! He looked like a man on a blind date who finds the lady he’s with to be completely obnoxious. They have the right to skate to whatever they please, but different couples have different chemistry and connection and I just don’t think this worked in their favor based on that.

They skated it with blank faces, especially during the second half, and it just does not hold up against the soulful and dramatic excellence of the other top programmes (excluding Zabiiko/Enbert - they were dull).

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
The judging is a disgrace. Scandalous. Sloppy slow elements of MH got higher GOE than clean fast elements from AR. Not fair. I am almost sure that a scandal is coming in the Ladies Free. If a clean skate from Caro will be scored higher than Zagi's, Eteri shoul protest.
How come there were NO Rus snd Can judges in the SP?
We know that overscoring or other judging shenanigans are only fine when it positively affects Russian skaters. The other way around it has to be criminal for someone like you. If Zagitova's components were evaluated like they should ... the difference in points after SP would be bigger for Caro. If you ask me ... more shocking is how 15-years old skater who skates / performs in juniorish way receives components like Yuna Kim at her peak after many years of polishing her skating, but than maybe it's not shocking anymore as PCS is more like supportive tool, often TES & federation + skating order proxy than anything else. But I think that Zagitova is going to win.

And trust me I am not some obsessed, deluded fan of Carolina because if you ask me ... Kostner genuinely has been held up many times in the past when her PCS and even TES (even if lower) resulted in me scratching my head as they were clearly overcooking to help her land on the podium even if by a whisker. But if she skates like she did in SP she absolutely deserves 1st place especially when her most competitive rivals make some errors. But I am not that bothered anymore when some other skaters get super, extra points and lenient evaluation for inferior technique and lacking presentation.

Back to Pairs

Big cheers to all medallists :luv17:

That was my desired - dream podium actually :biggrin: Well I'd not mind James / Cipres finishing with silver (though T/M deservedly beat them) but bronze which is their 1st ever big medal at World Championships is huge :biggrin: Their happiness and fierce reaction was worthy and cannot be described in thousands of word.