2022 Skate Canada Men's Free Skate | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2022 Skate Canada Men's Free Skate

noskates

Record Breaker
Sorry for this but just stating my opinion. While it was good to see Keegan still on the ice and obviously happy, I didn't think he skated that well. Many of his landings were "hail Marys" and he even smiled at a couple of them. I'm wondering how serious he is about competing this year in that he used an old long program and it's only a few months until Canadian Nationals. (maybe he's working on a new LP but wouldn't Skate Canada be the place to introduce it?) I think it's especially difficult to concentrate on figure skating when he has a small child and one on the way. And I'm just guessing at that because I clearly don't know Keegan personally. Matteo outskated him. What I did love was the audience's reaction to him - he's much loved in Canada!! And he's earned those accolades.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
also how did rizzo beat keegan?! insane. keegan absolutely should have medalled here.
Technically cleaner (2 quads, one of which 4Lo, and tidier jumps in general). Keegan had a messy landing on the solo 3A, and the -2S, -2T in combo probably should have been triples.
Both Matteo and Keegan have really good skating skills, by the way. This is the second time I saw Keegan live, first time for Matteo. I'm good with the final standings and would maybe even have the gap a bit bigger. I'm not a fan of Bruno Mars but Matteo is quite good at the alchemy of transforming meh programmes into fun stuff.

xabia

On the Ice
I‘ve just finished watching on ISU YouTube. One thing I’ll say about Ted Barton (who, without stating the obvious wasn’t the commentator here), - he waits until the performance is finished before giving his opinion. Since most people watching are already familiar with the jumps etc. why do most commentators have to tell their viewers the name of the particular jump during their performance? It breaks continuity and the flow of the music. And talking of music, what a porridge Deniss’s team made of their version of The New World Symphony. Poor Dvorak must be rolling in his grave. And Mark Henratty should learn how to pronounce the name of the composer.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I‘ve just finished watching on ISU YouTube. One thing I’ll say about Ted Barton (who, without stating the obvious wasn’t the commentator here), - he waits until the performance is finished before giving his opinion. Since most people watching are already familiar with the jumps etc. why do most commentators have to tell their viewers the name of the particular jump during their performance? It breaks continuity and the flow of the music. And talking of music, what a porridge Deniss’s team made of their version of The New World Symphony. Poor Dvorak must be rolling in his grave. And Mark Henratty should learn how to pronounce the name of the composer.

Deniss is well aware of the issues with the New World Symphony cuts, and I love a self-aware skater. ❤️

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Deniss is well aware of the issues with the New World Symphony cuts, and I love a self-aware skater. ❤️

Well... but what about not trying to fit 50 minutes of music in a 4 minute program? I love people who are able to have clear vision and identify their problems... but really, what I would be interested to find out is : how are you (and your team) going to fix this mess? There are good reasons why some of the best pieces of classical music are not used that much in figure skating.. :) or, good ways to use some iconic large-scale symphonies... here is one example... (though i would have been fine with an even cleaner arrangement)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
On the same topic : I thought it was clever that Shoma used air on a g string and followed it by a baroque aria. Two pieces that have not much to do with one another but it worked because each one of them was used in long enough sections to establish their respective mood and colour... What is disturbing is when too many cuts are stuck to one another without making any sense... An example of bad music cuts... the two Chopin nocturnes by Selevko... there was no need to include the bombastic section of the C minor nocturne in there.. it ruined the effect for me.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Technically cleaner (2 quads, one of which 4Lo, and tidier jumps in general). Keegan had a messy landing on the solo 3A, and the -2S, -2T in combo probably should have been triples.
Both Matteo and Keegan have really good skating skills, by the way. This is the second time I saw Keegan live, first time for Matteo. I'm good with the final standings and would maybe even have the gap a bit bigger. I'm not a fan of Bruno Mars but Matteo is quite good at the alchemy of transforming meh programmes into fun stuff.
It’s the second time I see Rizzo live and he matured. My favourite thing about him was that during practices, whenever someone’s music played he danced to it almost every time, sometimes in the gaps when other skater was waiting for his next bit to practice. Obviously out of the way. For someone like me who has zero musicality it looks like a miracle