2023 World Junior Women's Short Program | Page 45 | Golden Skate

2023 World Junior Women's Short Program

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Live, An looked like she deserved a higher position imo versus Korean and Nakai. Nakai looked underwhelming to me, unlike Shimada.

But seeing that Gurgenidze got points for 3A without combo unlike in Russia where a fail on 3A combo is a zero in judging sheet because 3A is invalid element I am not going to complain.

I did wish Karhunen and Frank made free skate though.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Live, An looked like she deserved a higher position imo versus Korean and Nakai. Nakai looked underwhelming to me, unlike Shimada.
I really liked An. To me, she is the best Chinese skater since Lu Chen (way before your time as a skating fan... like... that was in another century). I think her score might have been affected by two things : 1) not as well known by judges and skating early 2) her combo was 3t-3t. In juniors, when the mandatory jump is the loop, it does make a relevant difference compared to seniors or can swap their lutz as a solo jump (or juniors in years, like next year, where the solo jump is the lutz)

An 4.2 +4.2 + 4.9 =13.3 BV
Senior skater using same combo but with Lutz as solo jump 4.2+4.2 + 5.9 14.3 BV
Junior skater with lutz combo and mandatory loop 5.9+4.2 + 4.9 = 15

We can see here the difference in BV when the loop is mandatory 1.7 over the 3t-3t versus 3lz-3t layout
In seniors, someone with a 3t-3t but able to do a lutz will recuperate a bit of this disadvantage, and only trail by 0.7 points in BV over a skater doing 3z-3t and 3loop.

Of course, there are other layouts with the flip but I thought it would be simpler to illustrate this version which is what may have been a factor in An's score : about 2 points which would have made her much closer to the SP podium.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
But seeing that Gurgenidze got points for 3A without combo unlike in Russia where a fail on 3A combo is a zero in judging sheet because 3A is invalid element I am not going to complain.
They also receive points for 3A+COMBO in Russia (see Titova's SP at Jr Nats this season or Akatieva's SP at Jr Russian Cup Final last season).

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just about to start back into the Pairs (I left after the Group 2 Warm-Up), but just had to reply to these first.

on behalf of @CaroLiza_fan go Stefania :hap10:

Thank you, my dear. 😗

Your wishes made all the difference! ;) :biggrin:

Stephania made the free @CaroLiza_fan

So glad and relieved to hear that. Her competitions in the past couple of months have been a real roller-coaster ride. She has had great results in some, including breaking the 100 point barrier in the FS; and she has been crying coming off the ice in others. Thank goodness it has come together at the right time.

Well done :clap: :clap: :clap: @CaroLiza_fan will be proud of her girl!

His girl.

With all the chatting we have been doing, I thought you knew that! 😲

Granted, my username does sound female. But it is a reference to my 2 favourite Ladies skaters, Carolina Kostner and Liza Tuktamysheva.

Apparently I have lived under a rock 🥌

:laugh:

Don't worry, I've made that mistake quite a few times on here. Back in my early days on here when I was young and foolish, there were a couple of occasions when I was flirting with a member, totally convinced that they were female, and then subsequently discovered that they were actually male.

Talk about awkward for both of us! :drama:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I got to watch almost all the skates. The top 3 were the class of the field One of the biggest if not the biggest disappointment was Kimmy Repond who did not respond well here at all. From a medal at Europeans to this what a huge disapointment. She almost got beaten by the Canadian girl. I cant say who I liked best of the top 3. I was expecting more from the US. They could end up losing a spot. Japan should win back 3 spots easily. I honestly am a bit disappointed with Europe over all. Impressed by Korea and Japan. I wonder if Korea's rise has something to do with Yuna Kim? It is 13 years since she won the OGM in Vancouver. and these girls are 15 to 17 years old. About the right age for Yuna's influence. I don't know the rules but is the individual jump has to be a loop? Is this at the Saddledome where the Battle of the Brian's and Battle of the Carmen's took place with that Canadian darling stealing Witt and Thomas' thunder? It is going to be a real fight for the top 3. There are going to be some good skaters out of the top ten including possibly from the USA and Japan. I would be shocked if REpond is out of the top ten but not impossible. A lot of pressure on these young ladies. Wish there were more fans.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I got to watch almost all the skates. The top 3 were the class of the field One of the biggest if not the biggest disappointment was Kimmy Repond who did not respond well here at all. From a medal at Europeans to this what a huge disapointment. She almost got beaten by the Canadian girl. I cant say who I liked best of the top 3. I was expecting more from the US. They could end up losing a spot. Japan should win back 3 spots easily. I honestly am a bit disappointed with Europe over all. Impressed by Korea and Japan. I wonder if Korea's rise has something to do with Yuna Kim? It is 13 years since she won the OGM in Vancouver. and these girls are 15 to 17 years old. About the right age for Yuna's influence. I don't know the rules but is the individual jump has to be a loop? Is this at the Saddledome where the Battle of the Brian's and Battle of the Carmen's took place with that Canadian darling stealing Witt and Thomas' thunder? It is going to be a real fight for the top 3. There are going to be some good skaters out of the top ten including possibly from the USA and Japan. I would be shocked if REpond is out of the top ten but not impossible. A lot of pressure on these young ladies. Wish there were more fans.
That Canadian girl has already beaten Repond at the Ice Challenge event in Austria 😡

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Just saw the results. Predictable top 3. Mao Shimada has to land her hard jumps to win because judges are rewarding Jia Shin well and Ami Nakai is right there behind with her consistent 3A.
For someone who wacthes junior circuit every year, i'm not surprised at all by Repond's score, even by the overall results.
Japan and Korea dominated JGP this season, with head and shoulders. They won all medals but two (Soho Lee and Inga Gurguenidze won a silver and a bronze), were the only ones in JGPF, Japan won 6 out of the 7 golds including JGPF (could have been 7 out of 8 if JGP Armenia had not been cancelled). There is still the free, ice is slippery, but i don't see another podium than Japan-South Korea. Maybe China has a chance with Nini.
The only surprise, no, more disappointment, is Inga and Phattaratida being buried. I hope they will redeem themselves in the free.

JimR

On the Ice

The way Repond was scored was absurd. She should feel aggrieved with the judging. Maybe building new stars in big markets is more important at the moment.

Levito got +2 from four judges landing this toe loop at Four Continents.

G5MUfar.jpg

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Nina count 1

There only are 2 of them! :laugh:

And, funnily enough, they are topping and tailing the segment! Nina FREDRIKSSON (SWE) is first to skate, while Niina PETROKINA (EST) is last to skate.

Admittedly, we normally have more. But, not this competition.

We need more Ni(i)nas!!!

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Country
Norway
:laugh:

Don't worry, I've made that mistake quite a few times on here. Back in my early days on here when I was young and foolish, there were a couple of occasions when I was flirting with a member, totally convinced that they were female, and then subsequently discovered that they were actually male.

Talk about awkward for both of us! :drama:
I always knew that parts of your username was because that you are a fan of Carolina Kostner, but I didn´t know the other part was because of Liza T :laugh::laugh::laugh: Or did I? So I think I always thought your name was Liza for some reason lol, but I see now it´s not very logical.

Now, all this cast a new light into the comment yesterday about you admiring Sonja Henies thighs in my profile picture :laugh::laugh: Assuming you were a women I thought you just admired her thighs and wanted the same yourself, but now on a second thought maybe that was not the only reason for admiring her thighs 😅 😅 :rofl::rofl:

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Too tired to comment on US women last night at the end but they will almost certainly not have three spots for next year. And Claire has to finish top ten in order for them to even get two spots. Right? Top ten for two? It concerns me that in the SP with only three jumps all three had problems.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
The way Repond was scored was absurd. She should feel aggrieved with the judging. Maybe building new stars in big markets is more important at the moment.

Levito got +2 from four judges landing this toe loop at Four Continents.
How other skaters at other competitions were scored is of no importance to whether or not she was scored too harshly at this competition.

While inconsistent standards are extremely frustrating for skaters, Kimmy was not held to higher standards than other skaters at this competition. Calls were very harsh across the field, and Kimmy's jumps are unfortunately not great technically. She, like some other skaters, is completely at the mercy of the technical panel. With a lax technical panel, she's always going to score much differently than with a harsh technical panel, which is not the case for some other skaters like Mao or Jia. Looking at the slow-motion replay, I can completely understand why the technical panel made the calls they did (with the exception of the Lutz edge because there simply wasn't a good camera angle to analyse it, from the side it looked less like e and more like !).

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
His girl.

With all the chatting we have been doing, I thought you knew that! 😲

Granted, my username does sound female. But it is a reference to my 2 favourite Ladies skaters, Carolina Kostner and Liza Tuktamysheva.

CaroLiza_fan
That's why i like french. It's heavily gendered.
I also assumed you were a woman😅

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Now, all this cast a new light into the comment yesterday about you admiring Sonja Henies thighs in my profile picture :laugh::laugh: Assuming you were a women I thought you just admired her thighs and wanted the same yourself, but now on a second thought maybe that was not the only reason for admiring her thighs 😅 😅 :rofl::rofl:
I thought he was a proud lesbian:biggrin:

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Too tired to comment on US women last night at the end but they will almost certainly not have three spots for next year. And Claire has to finish top ten in order for them to even get two spots. Right? Top ten for two? It concerns me that in the SP with only three jumps all three had problems.
With three skaters here, to keep the three spots the combined placement of the two highest-placed skaters would have to be below 13 to keep three spots and below 28 to retain two.
Keeping three spots is looking highly unlikely, but two certainly looks doable (9+14 currently).

Now, a top 10 finish is definitely what the US will be wishing for, as the highest placement of each country determines the number of JGP spots for next season, and dropping too low could mean the US would be limited to 6 or fewer entries only. (Keep in mind that repeating countries like Japan and Korea are also counted only once, so the US would currently be sitting in 6th in country ranking and looking to at least keep that for 7 entries and the chance at receiving additional unused entries from other countries)

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I always knew that parts of your username was because that you are a fan of Carolina Kostner, but I didn´t know the other part was because of Liza T :laugh::laugh::laugh: Or did I? So I think I always thought your name was Liza for some reason lol, but I see now it´s not very logical.

Ah, you probably weren't here when I used pictures of Liza as my avatar.

Here's a brief history of my custom avatars:

1. Apr. 2013 – Dec. 2014: A picture of Liza and Adelina Sotnikova holding flags after the podium at the 2013 European Championships.
  2. Dec. 2014 – Jan. 2015: A picture of Liza lying on the ice in her *Red Dress* during her "Koop Island Blues" EX at the 2014 Senior GP Final.
  3. Jan. 2015 – Sep. 2016: A picture of Carolina from her 2003 Junior Worlds FS.
  4. Sep. 2016 – Mar. 2017: A picture of Liza and Daniella Vanessa Ipsarides backstage at the 2016 Sarajevo Open.
  5. Mar. 2017 – Oct. 2017: A picture of Liza and Carolina drinking wine in a hot spring in Iceland (photo taken by Anne-Line Gjersem).
  6. Oct. 2017 – Jul. 2019: A picture of me and Giorgia Isabella Sechi at her family's Italian restaurant in Paphos, Cyprus.
  7. Jul. 2019 – present: A picture of Daniella Vanessa Ipsarides and Giorgia Isabella Sechi after the 2019 Cyprus Championships.

Actually, I'm nearly sure I went back to the *Red Dress* avatar after showing my support for Carolina for a while. But, I'm not sure when.

Oh, you had me in fits of laughter when I read this during the Group 2 Warm-Up.

Yes, I was admiring them for the same reason that Colonel Potter was! :devil:

CaroLiza_fan

JimR

On the Ice
How other skaters at other competitions were scored is of no importance to whether or not she was scored too harshly at this competition.

While inconsistent standards are extremely frustrating for skaters, Kimmy was not held to higher standards than other skaters at this competition. Calls were very harsh across the field, and Kimmy's jumps are unfortunately not great technically. She, like some other skaters, is completely at the mercy of the technical panel. With a lax technical panel, she's always going to score much differently than with a harsh technical panel, which is not the case for some other skaters like Mao or Jia. Looking at the slow-motion replay, I can completely understand why the technical panel made the calls they did (with the exception of the Lutz edge because there simply wasn't a good camera angle to analyse it, from the side it looked less like e and more like !).

I'm not sure about that. Petrokina got the same for components. She fell on the ice once, popped a butterfly. Kimmy had a perfectly clean skate in real time apart from some under rotations that often judges turn a blind eye to.

I realise Levito was at a different event with different judging, but 4 judges gave what was a worse landing +2, but all but one give Kimmy -5. It's quite a discrepancy and reflects badly on the ISU's professionalism. It only hurts the sport and people ask why bother watching.

Let's hope they can improve and develop some consistency.