Best "Actors" on ice | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Best "Actors" on ice

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Of the past -Sasha Cohen - in fact she was interested in pursuing acting career and appeared in Blades of Glory, Moondance Alexander and Bratz: The Movie

Of present, not mentioned yet, Mikhail Kolyada is very expressive and able to stay in character throughout the program. In his last interview he says that Javi impresses him most as actor on ice but his absolute favourite of all times is Philippe Candeloro and his program 'The Four Musketeers':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsGyPUXHrNA

Begging your pardon, I did mention Kolyada on p. 1 of this thread, post #14. He's quirky and, in terms of this category, unique.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
T For me, Gabriella and Guillaume project emotion more clearly than character, at least this season. Both are good things, but they aren't the same.

That's an interesting point. I touched on it a bit in my post upthread. I agree with you that Gabriella and Guillaume are genius in portraying emotion, and by that I mean that with their acting, they convey emotion from themselves to the audience, so that audience members, if they're receptive, also get to experience the emotions P/C portray. That's more akin to Meryl Streep's style of acting IMO. She does become a character completely, and she does it through emotion. I singled out Adam Rippon as doing this, but I agree with you that P/C have that skill and talent as well.

To me, some people are talking about portraying a character, and that's different from becoming a character . Different styles and definitions of acting.

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Kurt Browning is the best. No one can even come close. Kurt owns the ice when he skates, even when he is leaving the ice he is still in character....

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Ladies: Oksana Baiul, Ashley Wagner (imo, Moulin Rouge displayed she has more range than just "smirking"--she did pretty well on the tragedy aspect too)
Men: Evgeni Plushenko, Kurt Browning
Pairs: Sui/Han (especially Sui)
Ice Dance: Virtue/Moir, Anissina/Peizerat

There are certainly others who are very artistic, but I'm not quite sure I'd personally call them "actors" (Michelle Kwan, Stephane Lambiel, Daisuke Takahashi) It seemed more like dance/personal expression, which is an equally valid style of performance, of course. There are also some who are "the best" with certain roles (Alexei Yagudin, Philippe Candeloro) but from my memory didn't display as much range (again, this doesn't mean they were lesser overall skaters for it).

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
That's an interesting point. I touched on it a bit in my post upthread. I agree with you that Gabriella and Guillaume are genius in portraying emotion, and by that I mean that with their acting, they convey emotion from themselves to the audience, so that audience members, if they're receptive, also get to experience the emotions P/C portray. That's more akin to Meryl Streep's style of acting IMO. She does become a character completely, and she does it through emotion. I singled out Adam Rippon as doing this, but I agree with you that P/C have that skill and talent as well.

To me, some people are talking about portraying a character, and that's different from becoming a character . Different styles and definitions of acting.

I see what you're saying with the distinction and I don't disagree. I think that some teams become the character and really show the character, some just portray it on a more surface level, some show more emotion than character and do it very level and show do emotion but don't do it deeply. Different styles and different degrees.

As someone with a lot of theatre training, I was mostly thinking about a note one of my teachers often gave people. He was big on the idea that showing emotion is not becoming a character and that emotion in acting should come from the character. Ie, you aren't playing "angry", you're playing a person, who happens to be feeling angry, the idea being simply playing an emotion is more surface level than becoming the character.

Obviously ice dance isn't stage acting though, and approaching things from more of the emotional side first isn't a negative the way it can be in acting, just a different style.

And to be clear, I don't think that P/C are just surface level or anything, I wasn't criticizing them just now in case it sounded like that. I have a slight personal preference for the more character driven style a la V/M, but I also appreciate what P/C do (and it's not that I think they ignore character or anything). I wouldn't necessarily call them the best actors, but that has a lot to do with my personal definition of acting.

I hope that all makes sense. I find this type of discussion so interesting :)

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I see what you're saying with the distinction and I don't disagree. I think that some teams become the character and really show the character, some just portray it on a more surface level, some show more emotion than character and do it very level and show do emotion but don't do it deeply. Different styles and different degrees.

As someone with a lot of theatre training, I was mostly thinking about a note one of my teachers often gave people. He was big on the idea that showing emotion is not becoming a character and that emotion in acting should come from the character. Ie, you aren't playing "angry", you're playing a person, who happens to be feeling angry, the idea being simply playing an emotion is more surface level than becoming the character.

Obviously ice dance isn't stage acting though, and approaching things from more of the emotional side first isn't a negative the way it can be in acting, just a different style.

And to be clear, I don't think that P/C are just surface level or anything, I wasn't criticizing them just now in case it sounded like that. I have a slight personal preference for the more character driven style a la V/M, but I also appreciate what P/C do (and it's not that I think they ignore character or anything). I wouldn't necessarily call them the best actors, but that has a lot to do with my personal definition of acting.

I hope that all makes sense. I find this type of discussion so interesting :)

So do I, and yes it makes sense.

heavy

Rinkside
Sandra Bezic in This and That describe very well what I feel when I saw P/C and V/M programs. With V/M I'm interesting what they present and I make me think, what is the story they want to tell me. I love the passion they put on the programs.
When I saw P/C I'm just swept away too. I only feel that moment.
What I love more I really don't know.
But we are privileged to have both.

So do I, and yes it makes sense.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Begging your pardon, I did mention Kolyada on p. 1 of this thread, post #14. He's quirky and, in terms of this category, unique.

And so you did - apologies! Yes, Mikhail's last season LP was to Tim Burton's 'Nightmare before Christmas'

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Did Alexander Abt become a real actor? I thought he was a soap opera or something like that.

Not sure if Abt is a real actor but Tara Lipinski was and I don't think she is that great of an actress on or off the ice.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gilles and Poirier have been mentioned more than once in this thread and I have to agree. Especially this season, they even stay in character even after their tango free dance ends. Paul is more committed than Piper, but they are convincing.

Another skater who keeps in character is Daniel Samohin - I remember the shtick he did after his Sherlock Holmes program while taking his bows. I'm not sure I like this trend, as it's a bit OTT for me. YMMV.