Injuries and Ills: 2014-15 | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Injuries and Ills: 2014-15

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I don't wish people ill but this is not heroic. Kids (world) this is stupid. You don't want something horrible to happen but people need to know there are consequences for your action. It is not the greatest example if they win gold or the big prize while risking their health. It suggests the risk is worth it. Now it sounds horrible but if he could never skate again while we wouldn't want that to happen it would get the point - you play with fire you get burned. going against nature - one needs to learn consequences.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I don't wish people ill but this is not heroic. Kids (world) this is stupid. You don't want something horrible to happen but people need to know there are consequences for your action. It is not the greatest example if they win gold or the big prize while risking their health. It suggests the risk is worth it. Now it sounds horrible but if he could never skate again while we wouldn't want that to happen it would get the point - you play with fire you get burned. going against nature - one needs to learn consequences.

I tend to agree. At some point he needs to let his body heal. Get the surgery. Go be an announcer/commentator at WTT, people would still come to see him. Say he looks forward to getting to see everyone skate for a change. Not that hard to put a good spin on this, still make money and let the poor thing heal.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I tend to agree. At some point he needs to let his body heal. Get the surgery. Go be an announcer/commentator at WTT, people would still come to see him. Say he looks forward to getting to see everyone skate for a change. Not that hard to put a good spin on this, still make money and let the poor thing heal.
Well some Japanese friends told me, as they read from various sources, it seems his condition has been known before Worlds. So the main reason he postponed the second surgery (even though it's just a minor) was for World Championships, not for WTT.

And now since he is the face of JSF, he decides to wait for it until WTT is over. I guess had he won gold at Shanghai, he would not join WTT at all.
The rest I agree that he needs to rest. It's just WTT.

alia jackson

Record Breaker
I think he feels that this is the obligation for his country when they need him the most. Even when he won silver under his less optimum condition, there are people blaming him.

Yuzu got bashed for not going to WTT in 2012 and 2013, even though he was injured at that time. There is still a certain sector of Japanese rival fans that are still vicious towards him. It will be the case of damm if he does and damm if he doesn't.

I think it is also the same why Mura felt obligated to skate at Worlds even with both ankle injuries.

Both of these guys need to rest, I wish they can just say no to JSF and the country, and just ignore the backlash.

Last edited:

giulia95

Medalist
Paradoxically JSF stopped Yuzu before Finland Trophy precautionary via a medical certificate because of some muscolar /back pain , but then they let him skate after a horrible head – thorax- abdominal trauma at COC and after an abdominal infection was diagnosed before JN, so that the required surgical treatment was posponed . Based on these " contradictory " criteria ,probably they are not really worried about what seems to be a “simple” stitch granuloma under the skin …. :rolleye:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The season is not over and we have another update, gosh, this thread is dominated by Yuzuru and it's such a terrible sight.

From the other forum:

Seriously it's just WTT!!! :unsure:

Oh, for Plushenchrist's sake.

This is stupid. JSF are being douchebags about it too but seriously, does this boy have a brain in his head?

Meoima

Match Penalty
Oh, for Plushenchrist's sake.
This is stupid. JSF are being douchebags about it too but seriously, does this boy have a brain in his head?

Quoting my friend's word (she's living in Japan):
there's a (Japanese) news that explained why Yuzu must attend WTT... although WTT is new but it is the obligation to the nation
:p You get the idea...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Quoting my friend's word (she's living in Japan): :p You get the idea...

Maybe this is a cultural thing but no, I don't. The boy is injured and could get seriously ill from a complication like that. NO SKATING COMPETITION IS WORTH THAT. EVER. He's even gone beyond Plushy's occasional bout of stupid with this one. Even Plushy would say, infection? I'm out.

Don't get me wrong, the JSF should be taken out the back and shot over this one. Heads should be rolling. People should be fired. A total overhaul of their federation. This has gone well beyond a joke.

Last edited:

AprilS

On the Ice
I think you're overreacting, karne. Like, maybe it's not that serious? (the article doesn't have a source either). I mean, if it's a stitch infection, it could just be affecting the outer skin, for all we know. Uncomfortable, sure, but life threatening? no. I mean, he did withdraw from Finlandia Trophy earlier this season due to back strain :shrug:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think you're overreacting, karne. Like, maybe it's not that serious? (the article doesn't have a source either). I mean, if it's a stitch infection, it could just be affecting the outer skin, for all we know. Uncomfortable, sure, but life threatening? no. I mean, he did withdraw from Finlandia Trophy earlier this season due to back strain :shrug:

Yes, and then he skated when he shouldn't have after suffering concussion and a thigh injury, and then had surgery, and now has an infection. If it were just one incident, yes. But this will not be the first time this season he has skated when he clearly shouldn't have.

AprilS

On the Ice
Yes, and then he skated when he shouldn't have after suffering concussion and a thigh injury, and then had surgery, and now has an infection. If it were just one incident, yes. But this will not be the first time this season he has skated when he clearly shouldn't have.

But that's the question. We don't know how bad or not his condition right now is. I feel like speculating about whether he should or shouldn't compete before we're even finished speculating about what kind of condition he's even in in the first place is kind of a big :confused2:. I mean, he looks okay (though that's not necessarily an indication of how okay he is). I do kind of think parts of this forum (not just you) is overreacting from a few articles with non-JSF, non-medical, non-coaching team, etc sources.

unico

Final Flight
But that's the question. We don't know how bad or not his condition right now is. I feel like speculating about whether he should or shouldn't compete before we're even finished speculating about what kind of condition he's even in in the first place is kind of a big :confused2:. I mean, he looks okay (though that's not necessarily an indication of how okay he is). I do kind of think parts of this forum (not just you) is overreacting from a few articles with non-JSF, non-medical, non-coaching team, etc sources.
Exactly. I'm sorry Meoima, but please chill out for a second. The hundreds of Japanese fans I follow on twitter aren't freaking out about this, perhaps because they, unlike us, are waiting for more reputable articles with information from more trustworthy sources about the severity of the situation. I just glimpsed over the article linked and it looks like none of this information reported has come from Hanyu, his doctors, his team, etc.

Prior to/during Worlds I did read that he's been treating inflammation with an ointment of some kind. Regarding his participation in WTT prior to the team members announcement, he said "If I go, I'll try my best. If I don't go, then I will fully focus on recovering completely", so this condition has obviously been known about for a while and it hasn't just suddenly sprung up. I would say that it's evident that he's been fully cleared by his doctors to continue skating and his condition doesn't require an immediate medical operation. If you don't think the JSF are watching his health like a hawk and providing him with the best medical assistance possible, especially after this year, then I have nothing to say.

Let's wait to see if more news comes out about this, but right now I wouldn't worry (or criticize) too much.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Exactly. I'm sorry Meoima, but please chill out for a second. The hundreds of Japanese fans I follow on twitter aren't freaking out about this, perhaps because they, unlike us, are waiting for more reputable articles with information from more trustworthy sources about the severity of the situation. I just glimpsed over the article linked and it looks like none of this information reported has come from Hanyu, his doctors, his team, etc.

Prior to/during Worlds I did read that he's been treating inflammation with an ointment of some kind. Regarding his participation in WTT prior to the team members announcement, he said "If I go, I'll try my best. If I don't go, then I will fully focus on recovering completely", so this condition has obviously been known about for a while and it hasn't just suddenly sprung up. I would say that it's evident that he's been fully cleared by his doctors to continue skating and his condition doesn't require an immediate medical operation. If you don't think the JSF are watching his health like a hawk and providing him with the best medical assistance possible, especially after this year, then I have nothing to say.

Let's wait to see if more news comes out about this, but right now I wouldn't worry (or criticize) too much.

I concur. I tend to think that after the COC backlash, the JSF would also know better than to force or allow Yuzuru to compete at WTT when his condition does not permit it.

BTW I reposted AprilS' post in the Yuzuru fanfest thread before I saw your post. Hope you don't mind but I will repost it also there to help keep things calm. :)

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Exactly. I'm sorry Meoima, but please chill out for a second.
Eh, I am not the first one who shared the new in the fan thread, when I woke up it was like that. I simply copied and pasted from the other forum.

As I have said in the fan thread, my friend who is a doctor told me it's not a dangerous situation for normal people (if the source is true), take some antibiotics and the pain can be eased. But with athletes, they require much more energy for strong activities, so he has to be careful. It's not severe but it's not easy for sure.

Seriously I think if Hanyu were...eh Canadian or American, he would have avoid WTT in this situation, right. I don't think he is under terrible condition to compete, but from what I have seen, his condition is not perfect at WC (jump off axis, lean in the landing, abdominal muscles not strong enough it seems) he should be careful. That's my take.

Last edited:

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
Maybe this is a cultural thing but no, I don't. The boy is injured and could get seriously ill from a complication like that. NO SKATING COMPETITION IS WORTH THAT. EVER. He's even gone beyond Plushy's occasional bout of stupid with this one. Even Plushy would say, infection? I'm out.

Don't get me wrong, the JSF should be taken out the back and shot over this one. Heads should be rolling. People should be fired. A total overhaul of their federation. This has gone well beyond a joke.

Yes, I'd say it's partly a cultural thing coupled with a killer instinct thing.
But wow, you're sure getting fired up about all this. Didn't realize you were such a Yuzuru fan. :biggrin:

I think he feels that this is the obligation for his country when they need him the most. Even when he won silver under his less optimum condition, there are people blaming him.

Yuzu got bashed for not going to WTT in 2012 and 2013, even though he was injured at that time. There is still a certain sector of Japanese rival fans that are still vicious towards him. It will be the case of damm if he does and damm if he doesn't.

I think it is also the same why Mura felt obligated to skate at Worlds even with both ankle injuries.

Both of these guys need to rest, I wish they can just say no to JSF and the country, and just ignore the backlash.

Mura also felt obligated to deliver at Worlds since he was entrusted with the 3rd Mens spot by Machida. Unsure if he has yet recovered from injury, however his message written on the board at WTT press conference simply says "revenge". I believe both Yuzuru and Mura really want the opportunity to participate at WTT to prove to themselves that they are capable of ending this season with 2 satisfying performances. Whether they are actually able to accomplish this we'll just have to wait and see.
As fans, we don't need to agree with their decisions but I'm pretty sure they would appreciate our support.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yes, I'd say it's partly a cultural thing coupled with a killer instinct thing.
But wow, you're sure getting fired up about all this. Didn't realize you were such a Yuzuru fan. :biggrin:

I'm not. Can't stand his skating and think he's totally overrated. But we have had one Plushenko. Isn't that enough for anyone?!

Barb

Record Breaker
All health bussiness is private, if Yuzu is doing whatever he wants why to say it? What is the point? I am sure nobody is giving the information without his consent.

unico

Final Flight
Eh, I am not the first one who shared the new in the fan thread, when I woke up it was like that. I simply copied and pasted from the other forum.

As I have said in the fan thread, my friend who is a doctor told me it's not a dangerous situation for normal people (if the source is true), take some antibiotics and the pain can be eased. But with athletes, they require much more energy for strong activities, so he has to be careful. It's not severe but it's not easy for sure.

Seriously I think if Hanyu were...eh Canadian or American, he would have avoid WTT in this situation, right. I don't think he is under terrible condition to compete, but from what I have seen, his condition is not perfect at WC (jump off axis, lean in the landing, abdominal muscles not strong enough it seems) he should be careful. That's my take.
The very first sentence on the YH forum post that you linked to says "We are not sure if this article is reliable." Posting speculation like this is okay in the Fan Fest so other Hanyu fans will be willing to check out the sources for you (like I just did...), but let's not post it around everywhere as if it is fact.

Sorry, I truly don't mean to fight but he gets enough criticism as it is without his health being speculated upon and us judging from a more-knowledgeable-than-thou pedestal.

Let's leave it at this.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Sorry, I truly don't mean to fight but he gets enough criticism as it is without his health being speculated upon and us judging from a more-knowledgeable-than-thou pedestal.

:thumbsup:
I'm not a doctor either, but the news we heard so far are pretty vague... people jump at certain terms like 'infection', but it could mean a gazillion degrees of severity. Maybe it's not that severe, as long as we don't have an official statement we can't know for sure what's going on, and I wouldn't be surprised if the media blew that way out of proportions. if he already had that infection at worlds (and that's what it's sounds like) I think a severe case would have been noticeable... to me, he looked untrained and as if he didn't have enough time to gain back stamina and muscles he lost while of the ice, but he didn't look as if he had any infections.

karne said:
I'm not. Can't stand his skating and think he's totally overrated. But we have had one Plushenko. Isn't that enough for anyone?!

Uh, I have no idea how to put this nicely, but... your remarks are unnecessary, disrespectful and way over the top. I'm sure you don't have to clarify for anyone that you're not a Hanyu fan, as you jump at every possibility to 'criticize' him - and none of your comments here sound like anything even close to concern. You don't have to like his skating, and of course people that aren't fans can comment on skaters health and desicions too but your posts sound simply as if you used his poor health as another possibility to insult him. You can keep that to yourself, seriously.

Rissa

Record Breaker
So that it doesn't look like Yuzuru is the only one skating with injuries (although probably one of the craziest), can we have round up of skaters who performed with injuries or still healing? I'm finding this infirmation very useful as I can better undrestand why some of them have performed below expectations.

Mura: sprained both ankles before Worlds.

Uno: injured instep before 4CC and Junior Nats

Sergei Voronov: knee injury

Anna Pogorilaya: torn ligaments before Worlds

Elena R: caught flu (?) during Worlds.

Javi: sprained ankle before Euros which may have affected his performances there.

These are the ones I know about (I follow Men most closely), what about others? I'm mostly curious whether Han Yan skated injury-free or not.

Last edited: