Jason Brown | Page 133 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I'm not a big Jason fan, but I received a nice PM this afternoon from an administrator of a Jason Brown web-community on a Russian social network. They were asking for permission to share my videos on their community page, since most of their members do not visit GoldenSkate.

Anyone know anything about this? I'm assuming it's VK, maybe?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So as the story points out, Eurosport commentator Chris Horwarth is actually based in the Chicago-area. He's a skating director in the same Chicago-area rink where Gracie Gold skated before she moved to California: http://www.glacierskate.com/page/show/55704-figure-skating-staff

So Horwarth has seen Jason grow up as a skater. So Jason's "I hope Chris feels better" comment is more in reference to someone he knows quite well! :)

Anyway, this part caught my attention:

Howarth also is impressed that Brown has stayed with Kori Ade has is coach, noting that the two of them have grown together through years. “That’s unheard of,” Howarth said of sticking with one coach, and adding that it’s an illustration that Brown is well-grounded and his eyes on the prize rather than being big-headed and trying to hire a coach that’s the flavor of the month.

So while it seems so odd that Jason wouldn't rush the jump, this quote illustrates that it's actually very much in character with how he and career has approached his career, i.e. not obsessing over "being the flavor of the month" but sticking to THEIR goals and expectations, not succumbing to media/usfsa/fan pressure.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm not a big Jason fan, but I received a nice PM this afternoon from an administrator of a Jason Brown web-community on a Russian social network. They were asking for permission to share my videos on their community page, since most of their members do not visit GoldenSkate.

Anyone know anything about this? I'm assuming it's VK, maybe?

Just my two cents:

Seems to me that before giving your permission, you are perfectly entitled to ask the admin to specify precisely where the videos would be posted.

I'm puzzled that the person did not automatically give you the exact link when first approaching you. Why should you have to play a guessing game?

That said, it's nice that the person did reach out to you .... instead of barging ahead and posting your videos without your blessing.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So as the story points out, Eurosport commentator Chris Horwarth is actually based in the Chicago-area. He's a skating director in the same Chicago-area rink where Gracie Gold skated before she moved to California: http://www.glacierskate.com/page/show/55704-figure-skating-staff

So Horwarth has seen Jason grow up as a skater. So Jason's "I hope Chris feels better" comment is more in reference to someone he knows quite well! :)

Anyway, this part caught my attention:

So while it seems so odd that Jason wouldn't rush the jump, this quote illustrates that it's actually very much in character with how he and career has approached his career, i.e. not obsessing over "being the flavor of the month" but sticking to THEIR goals and expectations, not succumbing to media/usfsa/fan pressure.

I am very impressed by their ability to stand up to the "OMG, it is so *unfair* that Jason doesn't try a quad" contingent. A quote by Kori in the fluff piece also stood out for me, to the effect of "why would I let him put a jump in his routine that is not consistent, and undermine his confidence?" Exactly. They have gotten this far by the confidence they have in each other, and outside pressures should not change that.

TMC

Record Breaker
It is probably this site:

http://vk.com/jason_brown

They arranged the fan fest meeting for Jason when he completed at Rostelecom.

Aww they are all so nice! Not one of them is complaining about anything (so far as I can tell through Google translate)

I think I'll be spending more time there for the next month or two :biggrin:

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Aww they are all so nice! Not one of them is complaining about anything (so far as I can tell through Google translate)

I think I'll be spending more time there for the next month or two :biggrin:

I agree. I've found some great Jason stuff on the site. :)

Someone put together this photo album comparing some of Rohene's signature moves with Jason's:

http://vk.com/album-36259865_192648890

(I'm also posting so we have 3 black and white cat avatars in a row.) ;)

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree. I've found some great Jason stuff on the site. :)

Someone put together this photo album comparing some of Rohene's signature moves with Jason's:

http://vk.com/album-36259865_192648890

(I'm also posting so we have 3 black and white cat avatars in a row.) ;)

:thumbsup::thumbsup: I know the duplicate won't count. ;)

I remember the Rohene-Jason moves comparison: really cool. I'm impressed with the Russian site.

There is also a Czech fan page: http://www.jason-brown-figure-skater.estranky.cz/

Alba

Record Breaker
A quote by Kori in the fluff piece also stood out for me, to the effect of "why would I let him put a jump in his routine that is not consistent, and undermine his confidence?" Exactly.

Exactly indeed. That's one of the most reasonable thing that a coach would do.:thumbsup:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Any one knows which video this photo is taken from?

During the NBC broadcast of the gala they asked the skaters who they were routing for. Jason just said something about no overtime and a good game because the Bears (some thought they heard or Broncos) were not playing.

knghcm

On the Ice
During the NBC broadcast of the gala they asked the skaters who they were routing for. Jason just said something about no overtime and a good game because the Bears (some thought they heard or Broncos) were not playing.

Thank you for identifying. I'd love to see it somewhere on the net.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The men's medal ceremony, thanks to the amazing Sabinfire, in the US Nats video thread:

ETA: hope link works now: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1k3XNKJNgaYRVQ1dXhoX3ZGWVU/view

The interplay between Jason and Josh is adorable. And between Jason and Adam when the lady with the flowers doesn't know what the heck she's doing. I do wish that Ice Network would not drown out the crowd with that music feed, (not just this vid, other vids). But at least we get to see it.

Last edited:

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
The men's medal ceremony, thanks to the amazing Sabinfire, in the US Nats video thread:

ETA: hope link works now: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1k3XNKJNgaYRVQ1dXhoX3ZGWVU/view

The interplay between Jason and Josh is adorable. And between Jason and Adam when the lady with the flowers doesn't know what the heck she's doing. I do wish that Ice Network would not drown out the crowd with that music feed, (not just this vid, other vids). But at least we get to see it.

OHHH! Jason, Josh and Max all are nice persons and good skaters! But JASON.... + he is a marvelous HUMAN CHARACTER! + what a cutie! On the podium allways in motion and with the feet out like :cool:almost in the 1 positon of ballet :)

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Just my two cents:

Seems to me that before giving your permission, you are perfectly entitled to ask the admin to specify precisely where the videos would be posted.

I'm puzzled that the person did not automatically give you the exact link when first approaching you. Why should you have to play a guessing game?

That said, it's nice that the person did reach out to you .... instead of barging ahead and posting your videos without your blessing.

I thought about asking them where they were planning on posting the videos, since I was slightly curious... but in all honesty, I had no intention of wanting to poke around a Jason Brown dedicated web-community. I agree, it would have been nice for them to provide that info up front, but still appreciate that they asked for permission first.

I suppose at least half my reasoning for posting this here was just FYI, and to create a discussion topic around Russian support for Jason Brown.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I thought about asking them where they were planning on posting the videos, since I was slightly curious... but in all honesty, I had no intention of wanting to poke around a Jason Brown dedicated web-community. I agree, it would have been nice for them to provide that info up front, but still appreciate that they asked for permission first.

I suppose at least half my reasoning for posting this here was just FYI, and to create a discussion topic around Russian support for Jason Brown.

I'll play! :)

It's interesting that fans from other countries have embraced Jason. Jason has a nice fan base in Japan, which is quite noteworthy considering that Jason has actually only competed in Japan once and it was during his very early junior days (a junior grand prix event in 2010).

Obviously Japanese fans tend to be huge fans of many skaters, not just Japanese ones and chances are likely were exposed to Jason through other events where Japanese skaters competed in, such as Trophee Eric Bompard last season when he competed against Hanyu or JGPF, since that competition is JGPF.

Also! There are actually Japanese fans who will go to U.S. Nationals. I met a few when i went to Boston last year. They love skating so much and Japanese Nationals tickets are so hard to get.

There's a person who tweets as Jason Brown's Japanese Fan club. I'm not sure if established or just for Japanese fans who like Jason. They just did this really sweet contest for an autographed photo of Jason : https://twitter.com/JasonBrownJPFan/status/559507722832334849

I actually did not realize Jason had a fan base in Russia until I saw those videos of the meetup during Rostelecom Cup. Namely, probably cause I'm not on VK. Maybe having Plushenko's praises for him helped. :D This may seem like a huge stretch, but perhaps some Russian fans like Jason because he is similar to Plushenko in a way -- definitely not in the technical aspect -- but more in their extroverted, charismatic style, namely. Every time I see Plushenko, I'm always amazed at the command he had on the audience.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

Didn't you say most of the traffic/non USA traffic was out of Russia for the men's skate?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Good point. But perhaps some of the Russia traffic was for Russian fans of Jeremy. After all, he has been skating a long, long time, and so has had times to earn fans everywhere.