Jason Brown | Page 134 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I thought about asking them where they were planning on posting the videos, since I was slightly curious... but in all honesty, I had no intention of wanting to poke around a Jason Brown dedicated web-community. I agree, it would have been nice for them to provide that info up front, but still appreciate that they asked for permission first.

I suppose at least half my reasoning for posting this here was just FYI, and to create a discussion topic around Russian support for Jason Brown.

:cool: Thx, sabinfire.

Didn't you say most of the traffic/non USA traffic was out of Russia for the men's skate?

Good point. But perhaps some of the Russia traffic was for Russian fans of Jeremy. After all, he has been skating a long, long time, and so has had times to earn fans everywhere.

And FWIW, http://www.adamrippon.ru/ is a Russian-language site devoted to you-know-who.

ETA, random P.S.:
Don't know whether this Greensboro photo of a big Jason-Josh post-FS hug was posted elsewhere on GS.
https://twitter.com/luglio/status/559927977346338818

Last edited:

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The men's medal ceremony, thanks to the amazing Sabinfire, in the US Nats video thread:

ETA: hope link works now: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1k3XNKJNgaYRVQ1dXhoX3ZGWVU/view

Thanks for the video sabinfire and for the link el henry :)

I suppose at least half my reasoning for posting this here was just FYI, and to create a discussion topic around Russian support for Jason Brown.

The Russian media also seems to be fond of Jason. This photo was tweeted by one of Jason's fans after the Rostelecom gala:

けいちか ‏@keichika99 11/18/14
@jasonbskates This is a Russian sports newspaper of November 17. A foreign skater is only you in these photos!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2vjpWvCQAAE0O4.jpg

Maybe Jason was the only non-Russian chosen because he was doing Russian splits? :confused: :laugh:

Completely OT, the only good thing about getting 15+ inches of snow in 24 hours is that the city is shut down and my place of employment is paying me to not work today.

LRK

Record Breaker
I actually did not realize Jason had a fan base in Russia until I saw those videos of the meetup during Rostelecom Cup. Namely, probably cause I'm not on VK. Maybe having Plushenko's praises for him helped. :D This may seem like a huge stretch, but perhaps some Russian fans like Jason because he is similar to Plushenko in a way -- definitely not in the technical aspect -- but more in their extroverted, charismatic style, namely. Every time I see Plushenko, I'm always amazed at the command he had on the audience.

Not such a huge stretch to this Plushy uber, Mrs P.:) Those are things I like about the both of them. I love skaters with charisma, personality, prescence. Their personalities - and therefore the resulting "flavour" of the presence - are very different; but that's something I love too. (I've never understood why some people seem to only like one type of skating - and not only that, wishes that all skaters skated like it! I've never thought: I wish skater A was more like skater B! What's the fun in that?!)

Also, perhaps rather unsurprisingly, his charisma is exactly one of the things that Plushy has cited liking about Jason's skating.:)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I have to say, VK looks a lot like Facebook circa 2004. :biggrin:

Not such a huge stretch to this Plushy uber, Mrs P.:) Those are things I like about the both of them. I love skaters with charisma, personality, prescence. Their personalities - and therefore the resulting "flavour" of the presence - are very different; but that's something I love too. (I've never understood why some people seem to only like one type of skating - and not only that, wishes that all skaters skated like it! I've never thought: I wish skater A was more like skater B! What's the fun in that?!)

Also, perhaps rather unsurprisingly, his charisma is exactly one of the things that Plushy has cited liking about Jason's skating.:)

Okay, glad I could get the confirmation from a Plushy uber. :)

I am totally in agreement with you on diversity of style. There are different styles of skating that do well and win. Different styles are present in lots of sports.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Yeah, VK isn't exactly up to par with Facebook yet... and Facebook is struggling to catch on in Russia because of privacy issues and the government wanting to have access to Facebook data for the Russian accounts.

Anyone find any of the videos posted there yet? I imagine it would probably be the NBC fluff piece and/or Jason's gala performance.

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker

I'd like to second all of this. :agree: And I'd like to add: Don't forget Jason's flexibility. (On any of the initial "OMG, why does Plushenko like a guy with no quad??" reactions, I could only think, "Dude, have you seen Jason's spin positions? :rofl:")

Four Continents will be such an interesting competition. There are almost ten guys who could all take the title, all with different strengths and weaknesses, and having different strategies ready. Jason will do his best to skate clean and max out his non-jump elements. Defending champ Mura, on the other hand, will be banking on his huge jumps. Shoma and Nam attacked their respective Nationals with the fearlessness of youth, and now they'll have to try it again in an international field. And of course there's Denis Ten, who will mop the floor with everyone if he skates clean, but can wind up off the podium if he does his usual, "won't get my act together until the last competition of the season."

I like the European guys (well, I did until they served up that slopfest :p), but they tend to be similar in their strengths and approach to the competition. I think it's good that 4CC will see some different strategies from Jason (and to a lesser degree, Nam). And btw, I love the quad. But I'd like to see honest attempts, not "I'm doing it 'cause everyone else is."

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
And btw, I love the quad. But I'd like to see honest attempts, not "I'm doing it 'cause everyone else is."

This is so much my feeling on it. I want to see them expect to land it, not just hope to. I don't really respect people for "trying" quads, I respect people for landing quads, preferably with positive GOE. Such a strange sport that some people would likely respect Jason more if he were falling on under rotated quads. . . . just a really weird feeling. I don't get the "he should at least try" mind set at all. You want to show me your attempts? By all means put them on youtube, ill happily watch you attempt stuff, go to competition with stuff you actually complete!

deetrakt

Rinkside
Yeah, VK isn't exactly up to far with Facebook yet... and Facebook is struggling to catch on in Russia because of privacy issues and the government wanting to have access to Facebook data for the Russian accounts.

Anyone find any of the videos posted there yet? I imagine it would probably be the NBC fluff piece and/or Jason's gala performance.

The video total has been stuck at 216 since they added the local Chicago TV interview with Jason on January 28. When they add new videos, they go at the top and the 1 or 2 newest appear on the title page on the right under "Videos". They've also announced improved functionality and greater protections to encourage video "producers" to allow them to post more videos. Click on "Videos" to read a very brief description of the upgrade.

Larisa Popova is the one who speaks fluent English. She did all the back-and-forth translation at the meet and greet.

deetrakt

Rinkside
This is so much my feeling on it. I want to see them expect to land it, not just hope to. I don't really respect people for "trying" quads, I respect people for landing quads, preferably with positive GOE. Such a strange sport that some people would likely respect Jason more if he were falling on under rotated quads. . . . just a really weird feeling. I don't get the "he should at least try" mind set at all. You want to show me your attempts? By all means put them on youtube, ill happily watch you attempt stuff, go to competition with stuff you actually complete!

I agree. I wish I had a dollar for every time Michael Weiss on IN has said "I believe we need international competitors who have the quad" (or words to that effect). Similarly, Phil Hersh and Rafael A. speak ominously about the "message" sent by having Jason as a quadless national champion. Two skaters out of the 3 we're sending to 4C and Worlds "have the quad", at least some of the time. Should Jason have been dropped to 4th to avoid the shame of sending him abroad? And since when is Jason such an inadequate international competitor? The only proven quad jumper the US has is Max (and Jeremy, in US competitions), who Jason has outscored both domestically and abroad of late.

Finally, as you indicate, if the commentators and pundits claim someone "has the quad", that skater should be able to land a clean jump at least a majority of the time.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let's just let Jason be the left shark. :biggrin:

Didn't watch the Super Bowl (sorry about the Seahawks, Mrs. P;) ), but now that I read the link, I *love* the left shark... Would that all skaters would channel their inner left shark!

LRK

Record Breaker
I'd like to second all of this. :agree: And I'd like to add: Don't forget Jason's flexibility. (On any of the initial "OMG, why does Plushenko like a guy with no quad??" reactions, I could only think, "Dude, have you seen Jason's spin positions? :rofl:")

That's so true! Very good point! Do you think that's what Plushy meant by "he makes an interesting tricks elements" - and/or do you think he was referring to the complexity of Jason't programs?

Note to Others: It's google translate - it's often something of a puzzler figuring out what it all means exactly!:)

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
During the NBC broadcast of the gala they asked the skaters who they were routing for. Jason just said something about no overtime and a good game because the Bears (some thought they heard or Broncos) were not playing.

Thank you for identifying. I'd love to see it somewhere on the net.

Here it is (a day late and a dollar short):

2015 U.S. Nationals - Super Bowl predictions w/ Chock&Bates, Joshua Farris, Scimeca&Knierim, Shibutani's, Jason Brown

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here it is (a day late and a dollar short):

2015 U.S. Nationals - Super Bowl predictions w/ Chock&Bates, Joshua Farris, Scimeca&Knierim, Shibutani's, Jason Brown

Kinda impressed that NBC put the effort into doing so many fluff pieces. (and completely OT our Jason, but that Maia Shibutani does not seem to be nearly the Boston fan that Alex is.)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The men's medal ceremony, thanks to the amazing Sabinfire, in the US Nats video thread:

ETA: hope link works now: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1k3XNKJNgaYRVQ1dXhoX3ZGWVU/view

The interplay between Jason and Josh is adorable. And between Jason and Adam when the lady with the flowers doesn't know what the heck she's doing. I do wish that Ice Network would not drown out the crowd with that music feed, (not just this vid, other vids). But at least we get to see it.

Watch carefully when Jason comes out. They start playing his long program music as he takes his bows. He bows, straightens, and blows kisses in time to the music. Everything is in time to the music :laugh:

That whole ceremony is just fifty different kinds of adorable. From Josh and Jason being all giggly, to the big hugs Max got from Adam and Josh (I wonder what Adam was saying? I have a feeling there was a bit of sympathy there), to Adam handing the flowers to Jason, to Adam falling off the top step when they were all up there for the photo, to Max having to grab hold of Josh to get up onto the top step (I guess being short has disadvantages?), to Josh and Max getting a fit of the giggles when Adam was facing the wrong way...it's all so cute.

TMC

Record Breaker
Yeah, VK isn't exactly up to par with Facebook yet... and Facebook is struggling to catch on in Russia because of privacy issues and the government wanting to have access to Facebook data for the Russian accounts.

:shocked:

I mean of course other countries do this and obviously we are all aware that all our data are belong to NSA but at least they tried to keep it a secret :laugh:

Last edited: