Patrick Chan | Page 271 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

HanDomi

Record Breaker
So , is there any info if Patrick is going to train 4S in the summer ? I wonder how his 4S will be looking. It seems quad salchow technique is very,very diffrent for every skater
Actually trying to imagine that I would be thinking of the same way that Joubert was doing :biggrin:

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Is anyone going to SOI? I'm going to the show in Toronto so I was wondering if anyone else is going to admire Patrick...er, I mean, enjoy the fabulous skating. ;)

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
I wish I could be there, Mango. Would greatly appreciate it if you could give us an on-site report.

Speaking of on-site reports, @Kyrn23, who went to the Ottawa show tonight shared this video of Elvis, Jeffrey and Patrick's fantastic "Sound of Silence" performance. Those skating skills they displayed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XePf7eTqVY4

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Patrick doesn't post training videos. However, after Nationals, he answered calica's tweet and said he was already training it but not including in this year's programs.

Now that Shoma has his quad #2... people are flocking here with all the same question... does Patrick has his ? I think we will soon find out and I think that he could potentially, considering how easy the 3F is for him, try a third quad just to bug goldenskate fans ;)

So , is there any info if Patrick is going to train 4S in the summer ? I wonder how his 4S will be looking. It seems quad salchow technique is very,very diffrent for every skater
Actually trying to imagine that I would be thinking of the same way that Joubert was doing :biggrin:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick doesn't post training videos. However, after Nationals, he answered calica's tweet and said he was already training it but not including in this year's programs.

Now that Shoma has his quad #2... people are flocking here with all the same question... does Patrick has his ? I think we will soon find out and I think that he could potentially, considering how easy the 3F is for him, try a third quad just to bug goldenskate fans ;)

It has been the opinion since a few years back that 4F would be a natural progression from his easy 3F but then 4S just happened for him. So he has had his 4S for at least 3 years now, though likely not training it during his time off competition, but he was focusing on his artistry while winning almost all competitions so he didn't see it necessary to include it in his programs. Now that he's back and has got back to the competition rhythm, 4S is on board for next season to answer all the multi quad programs by his rivals.

Yes, he just might jump the 4F after 4S is well established in competition, to bug his detractors and please his fans.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
looking forward to seeing Patrick do all these jumps, but no 4 Loop ;) i don't think Patrick would go there....

I love Patrick's jumps but he pleases me with or without them. I still haven't seen a skater who has such beautiful air position and flow out of his jumps... to me, he is the best technician and I believe that he will acquire the next elements in a healthy manner, which is what matters most.
It has been the opinion since a few years back that 4F would be a natural progression from his easy 3F but then 4S just happened for him. So he has had his 4S for at least 3 years now, though likely not training it during his time off competition, but he was focusing on his artistry while winning almost all competitions so he didn't see it necessary to include it in his programs. Now that he's back and has got back to the competition rhythm, 4S is on board for next season to answer all the multi quad programs by his rivals.

Yes, he just might jump the 4F after 4S is well established in competition, to bug his detractors and please his fans.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
looking forward to seeing Patrick do all these jumps, but no 4 Loop ;) i don't think Patrick would go there....

I love Patrick's jumps but he pleases me with or without them. I still haven't seen a skater who has such beautiful air position and flow out of his jumps... to me, he is the best technician and I believe that he will acquire the next elements in a healthy manner, which is what matters most.

:2thumbs:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
quick translation of the article as the videoclip is the same as the previous post....

point form

1) Chan says he prefers shows to competition as he is freer to do different styles and see the public's reaction right away. He also likes the group numbers.
2)It says that Patrick gains confidence skating in front of an audience during shows which he applies for competition.
3) Patrick says that his goal for the year wasn't to win.... Now that he is back to training, he will set different goals for next year, and that includes working on his jumps... and the journalist concludes by saying that Chan will return to Ottawa soon as the nationals will be held in Ottawa....

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Thank you for the translation, 4everchan. Interesting that he said he prefers shows to competition... Didn't he say in an interview during Worlds that he preferred competition to shows?

THIS. :yes2:

And here's a photo of Patrick the artist. Enjoy!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Thank you for the translation, 4everchan. Interesting that he said he prefers shows to competition... Didn't he say in an interview during Worlds that he preferred competition to shows?

THIS. :yes2:

And here's a photo of Patrick the artist. Enjoy!

I think Patrick probably likes competing as well, if not, he wouldn`t be coming back and being in the elite.... but it is true that he seems to be enjoying himself a lot with the other skaters on tour as well.... especially since he trains alone.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

The PC and PR savvy PChiddy:

(When touring) "I love performing for the wonderful people of (name of city) who are so knowledgeable and supportive. It is such joy for me to be able to perform with total artistic freedom for all of you without concerns about rules and judges. I also enjoy doing group numbers with my friends. To skate for the love of skating and the fans and be so richly rewarded with the warm and enthusiastic reaction is totally amazing. Thank you all so much."

(When competing) "I love the sport of figure skating and the challenge of competing against such a strong field of skaters. We are athletes and we like to win. I'm very glad to be able to bring my experiences of doing shows to the competition. I believe I can perform better and relate more to the audience because of what I learned on tours. I hope my programs will move the audience, even with the inclusion of all those quads."

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
The PC and PR savvy PChiddy:

(When competing) "I love the sport of figure skating and the challenge of competing against such a strong field of skaters. We are athletes and we like to win. I'm very glad to be able to bring my experiences of doing shows to the competition. I believe I can perform better and relate more to the audience because of what I learned on tours. I hope my programs will move the audience, even with the inclusion of all those quads."

I found it! Here's the exact quote from this article:

He still has that hunger, he said, to stand on top of the podium.

"That's why I came back. If I didn't have that feeling, I'd stick to shows," Chan said. "I love doing shows, but I still have that little hunger for being better than everyone else, that's why we compete, that's why we're athletes.

My take is that it's a seasonal thing. When he's doing shows, Patrick the Performer loves the artistic freedom and audience support that he gets, sans the judging and restrictions. When he's competing, he just wants to kill the competition. :biggrin:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I think these days, thanks to the bravado of the top Japanese Mens, it is now acceptable to express one's winning desire aggressively. Patrick's words are now relatively tame and not so subject to condemnation.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Interesting. VB, has there been any backlash against the Japanese men for expressing their aggressive desire to win?

Also... Between now and February 2018, would it be taboo on this forum to discuss any geo-political advantages Patrick may have going into the Pyeongchang Olympics?

Last edited:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Someone posted a clip on Instagram of the MTK Ex. I WANT TO SEE THE WHOLE THING STAT!!! Whatever your opinion of the Michael Buble version, Patrick skates it with so much more freedom in the Ex than in the competition (obviously no restrictions/pressure, but honestly, he's literally FLYING over the ice). The 2A was HUGE!!! :luv17:

https://igcdn-videos-c-9-a.akamaihd...6-16/13127378_1083420958386289_19597810_n.mp4

Gotta post and run for now but wanted to share this as soon as I watched it. A more thoughtful post(s) to come later.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Someone posted a clip on Instagram of the MTK Ex. I WANT TO SEE THE WHOLE THING STAT!!! Whatever your opinion of the Michael Buble version, Patrick skates it with so much more freedom in the Ex than in the competition (obviously no restrictions/pressure, but honestly, he's literally FLYING over the ice). The 2A was HUGE!!! :luv17:

https://igcdn-videos-c-9-a.akamaihd...6-16/13127378_1083420958386289_19597810_n.mp4

Gotta post and run for now but wanted to share this as soon as I watched it. A more thoughtful post(s) to come later.

Yes, I saw that last night on Instagram - hopefully we'll be able to see the entire thing soon!

Meanwhile, here are some more photos of MTK:

https://twitter.com/bumpofmikan/status/727264178386382849

Last edited: