Patrick Chan | Page 333 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I am agreed, I not doubt that mishin likes Patrick´s skills (and who does not?) but I have the feeling that he would train him only for his advertising and he would spend the year talking about how magnificent your 3A just because he trains him.

LOL! Mishin doesn't need advertising.. :confused: He trained his Russian students( Urmanov,Yagudin, Plushenko, Sokolova Tuktamisheva) plus Lambiel, Carlina, Javier, Korpi, Fumie Suguri, etc..

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
which coach wouldn't brag about it if they fixed Patrick's 3A? The point made is not that Mishin's reputation isn't good or well-known...what irked me in the story was that Mishin said "come to me, 3 lessons and it's fixed" I don't doubt Mishin is that good of a coach, and especially with the 3A... (yet Lambiel had major issues with his....) but 3 lessons and it's fixed??? It's sending the awful message that he doesn't respect Patrick's other coaches... that's partially why some of us were a bit turned off by the mesage.
LOL! Mishin doesn't need advertising.. :confused: He trained his Russian students( Urmanov,Yagudin, Plushenko, Sokolova Tuktamisheva) plus Lambiel, Carlina, Javier, Korpi, Fumie Suguri, etc..

blueberryhill

On the Ice
Personally, I would have preferred that Mishin had kept a private conversation between Patrick and him private. Just my humble opinion.

calica

Final Flight
LOL! Mishin doesn't need advertising.. He trained his Russian students( Urmanov,Yagudin, Plushenko, Sokolova Tuktamisheva) plus Lambiel, Carlina, Javier, Korpi, Fumie Suguri, etc...

Although he always says agreeable things about skaters, I always have the feelings that he talks empty words for finally to boast himself...

Last edited:

TGee

Record Breaker
Although he always says agreeable things about skaters, I always have the feelings that he talks empty words for finally to boast himself...

Not sure it's that, or that he's just another prominent person in figure skating that could truly benefit from a lot of training form a good media coach. Too many folks out there seem to think it's good media tactics to raise themselves by backhandedly putting down others. Others just don't acquire these skills easily and the elite sports world isn't a forgiving world to learn them as one goes.

If they aren't doing already, IMO some national associations should contract with a reputable media training firm and require folks to attend a one or two day course before coming to their annual national camps. And if someone needs it, there could be annual refresher courses. It would send a message that this is important for national team members and their coaching teams, and if it helps it could improve newcomers' respect for this sport.

IMO too many folks don't seem to realize that this kind of thing is noticed and turns folks away. Golden rule behaviour is in everyone's interest.

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
which coach wouldn't brag about it if they fixed Patrick's 3A? The point made is not that Mishin's reputation isn't good or well-known...what irked me in the story was that Mishin said "come to me, 3 lessons and it's fixed" I don't doubt Mishin is that good of a coach, and especially with the 3A... (yet Lambiel had major issues with his....) but 3 lessons and it's fixed??? It's sending the awful message that he doesn't respect Patrick's other coaches... that's partially why some of us were a bit turned off by the mesage.

Sometimes Patrick has beautiful 3A thus he is on better level as Lambiel was. I believe Mishin sees Patrick's fault and he thinks Patrick needs 3 hours to fix it.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

I don't think. Mishin is an extraordinary man, who knows who is he,who is smart, kind, humorous, who knows what kind of results achieved. I don't think such a people needs to play how humble person he is.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
as others have pointed out, the way it was done was why some got irked by the comment... Mishin could have simply offered his help privately. Now, it looks like Patrick doesn't want help from him... actually he is putting Patrick in a conflict of interest with his new team.
Sometimes Patrick has beautiful 3A thus he is on better level as Lambiel was. I believe Mishin sees Patrick's fault and he thinks Patrick needs 3 hours to fix it.

calica

Final Flight
Exactly, very unpleasant situation... if he had wanted to honestly help Patrick, he had talked to him privately and respect his decision.
Now he talks about private conversations with Chan and makes people criticize Patrick for something we do not know if it really happened or not, and for supposed decisions that we do not know really.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
as others have pointed out, the way it was done was why some got irked by the comment... Mishin could have simply offered his help privately. Now, it looks like Patrick doesn't want help from him... actually he is putting Patrick in a conflict of interest with his new team.

Exactly, very unpleasant situation... if he had wanted to honestly help Patrick, he had talked to him privately and respect his decision.
Now he talks about private conversations with Chan and makes people criticize Patrick for something we do not know if it really happened or not, and for supposed decisions that we do not know really.

:) I'm going to the less malicious territory..

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
:) I'm going to the less malicious territory..

that's all fine.. wish I could go there in this particular situation ;)

you know, if someone offered to help with his 4S, we may be a bit less edgy ;) every thread about Patrick has a 3A sub topic.... I guess we have had enough ;) :hopelessness:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Sneaking a break in to comment here...

Not real feathers! Embroidered, like a design. Like this looks really cool and in line with the "take these broken wings and learn to fly", but he'd never wear something like that. This kind of pattern, even without embroidery and just printed, would also be appealing.

The stones would indeed be too much. And a shirt + vest would be too hot. So satiny sleeves for those muscular arms stitched onto a nice black vest. Yeah!

Patrick did wear something similar to what you are describing back in 2009 with an embroidered feather design (photo). Based on his previous Blackbird costume and HPC photo shoot, I think there will be black+purple in his costume for the SP.

i see patrick in very simple light colour.... The two excerpts we heard from Eric's piece are so lyrical... it deserves a very light colour i think

I pictured something similar, too. I think I was influenced by the preview videos we saw, as well as the lightness of the music Eric composed. Of course, Patrick may have a different idea. But I think since the music is about his friendship with Eric, his costume would convey more lightness and warmth than heavy, dark colors can convey.

Interesting - I didn't know that some were irked by the comment. But I agree that the conversation should have been kept private instead of publicized.

Anyway - back to the costumes - at least Patrick won't be wearing this!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKYLItYDkz7/

Boo!

TGee

Record Breaker
that's all fine.. wish I could go there in this particular situation ;)

you know, if someone offered to help with his 4S, we may be a bit less edgy ;) every thread about Patrick has a 3A sub topic.... I guess we have had enough ;) :hopelessness:

I guess that I haven't been around long enough. As a newcomer, my thoughts are that if there is a place that it's appropriate for Chan's fans express concern, this would be it.

Plushyfan, while I'm trying to be the golden rule fan, sometimes folks have to have some place to ask what was really meant and, even if not intentionally harmful, ask might harm have been done...

Here's what I've heard

1. This is an unfortunate and awkward thing to have out there given Patrick's landed on a coaching team with Russian heritage.

2. It's no surprise that Patrick may have been in touch with or approached by any number of the most elite coaches while he officially was without a coach.

3. As etiquette would normally require these exploratory conversations to be confidential, what would be the objective in making it public? Could there be other motives or gamesmanship involved?

My view, was at best better left unsaid.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
TGee, please ask our Golden Skate mentor Violet Bliss to enlighten you about the forum. Most of us are recent additions to it. Patrick isn't very popular on here. I was baffled when I found that out because to me, he represents the ultimate skater. Some people accuse him of having the foot in the mouth syndrome for a couple comments he made when he was very young (as far as 2008!!!!) some others think he is unfairly and highly judged... (they call it the inflation) as he won a couple titles with falls... but when was the last time we have had a perfect flawless title winner??? etc etc... some just don't seem to like Canadians : Duhamel and Radford also get iffy comments, our girls are ridiculed often (when Alaine expressed her goals, she was made fun of.... yet Gabby was almost able to get to these goals, which, IMHO means that Alaine could as well) etc...

so we hide here :) i venture to the Edge but some of us fans don't at all.... this is our safe and loving place where we can discuss Patrick without hearing the "he needs a real coach, his 3A needs work, he is overscored and he should hire a PR consultant"

Welcome ;) haha
I guess that I haven't been around long enough. As a newcomer, my thoughts are that if there is a place that it's appropriate for Chan's fans express concern, this would be it.

Plushyfan, while I'm trying to be the golden rule fan, sometimes folks have to have some place to ask what was really meant and, even if not intentionally harmful, ask might harm have been done...

Here's what I've heard

1. This is an unfortunate and awkward thing to have out there given Patrick's landed on a coaching team with Russian heritage.

2. It's no surprise that Patrick may have been in touch with or approached by any number of the most elite coaches while he officially was without a coach.

3. As etiquette would normally require these exploratory conversations to be confidential, what would be the objective in making it public? Could there be other motives or gamesmanship involved?

My view, was at best better left unsaid.

TGee

Record Breaker
TGee, please ask our Golden Skate mentor Violet Bliss to enlighten you about the forum. Most of us are recent additions to it. Patrick isn't very popular on here. I was baffled when I found that out because to me, he represents the ultimate skater.

... but when was the last time we have had a perfect flawless title winner??? etc etc... some just don't seem to like Canadians : Duhamel and Radford also get iffy comments, our girls are ridiculed often (when Alaine expressed her goals, she was made fun of.... yet Gabby was almost able to get to these goals, which, IMHO means that Alaine could as well) etc...

so we hide here :) i venture to the Edge but some of us fans don't at all.... this is our safe and loving place where we can discuss Patrick

Welcome ;) haha

I'm fine thanks :laugh:

Just surprised that some folks feel that there is a consensus that most of the Canadian world champions shouldn't have been there for one or another reasons. They seem very uninhibited in expressing their most very negative views about Canadian skaters just about everywhere. I notice that when Canadians respond we're often called nationalistic. Sigh...

....But should reassure you that I chose to join GS because the other board seemed to have even more untrammelled negativity on about any possible subject and skater. Felt after a long time lurking that I was ready to stick my oar in...

But if there are places to say "what's up with that", IMO this would be one.

Wondering it there is a Canadian Skating fan fest that's mothballed somewhere and should be revived.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'm fine thanks :laugh:

Just surprised that some folks feel that there is a consensus that most of the Canadian world champions shouldn't have been there for one or another reasons. They seem very uninhibited in expressing their most very negative views about Canadian skaters just about everywhere. I notice that when Canadians respond we're often called nationalistic. Sigh...

....But should reassure you that I chose to join GS because the other board seemed to have even more untrammelled negativity on about any possible subject and skater. Felt after a long time lurking that I was ready to stick my oar in...

But if there are places to say "what's up with that", IMO this would be one.

Wondering it there is a Canadian Skating fan fest that's mothballed somewhere and should be revived.

lol... i don't even think there is one!!! I should revive the D/R fan fest but I am talking with myself in that one LOL

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Sneaking a break in to comment here...

Patrick did wear something similar to what you are describing back in 2009 with an embroidered feather design (photo). Based on his previous Blackbird costume and HPC photo shoot, I think there will be black+purple in his costume for the SP.

Thanks for sharing that! I did not keep up with Patrick pre-2010 so this is new to me. How wonderful that him and I have thought alike! Though if he's done it once, he won't do it again. :( For the HPC photo shoot, weren't some of those costumes generic? Because Liam Firus and Patrick wore the exact same outfits, it seems.

Belated welcome TGee! Hope you are enjoying this place more than the other one. I agree with you about all the stuff I see on here. In regards to mothballed Canadian fanfests, there is this one. I'd have loved to see some of the JGP competitors discussed on there, but it doesn't seem like many want to discuss the junior Canadian skaters.

lol... i don't even think there is one!!! I should revive the D/R fan fest but I am talking with myself in that one LOL

I'll join you! Though the conversations flow more at The Edge because you can criticize them there. :drama:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Thanks for sharing that! I did not keep up with Patrick pre-2010 so this is new to me. How wonderful that him and I have thought alike! Though if he's done it once, he won't do it again. :( For the HPC photo shoot, weren't some of those costumes generic? Because Liam Firus and Patrick wore the exact same outfits, it seems.

Belated welcome TGee! Hope you are enjoying this place more than the other one. I agree with you about all the stuff I see on here. In regards to mothballed Canadian fanfests, there is this one. I'd have loved to see some of the JGP competitors discussed on there, but it doesn't seem like many want to discuss the junior Canadian skaters.

I'll join you! Though the conversations flow more at The Edge because you can criticize them there. :drama:

:) i will try to dig it out

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist

Glad to share, Mango. You can see photos of the rest of his costumes on my blog post here. (A lot of photos and image slideshows, it may take longer to load.)

Heck, I wasn't even a fan until last year - which is why I welcome any feedback from longtime fans if I missed a costume.

As for the SP outfit, interesting that you noticed he and Liam both wore the same outfits. In that case, I'll stick to predicting black pants with another very dark color...