2014 NHK Trophy Ladies Short Program 11/28 | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2014 NHK Trophy Ladies Short Program 11/28

Selene

On the Ice
I still want to see Gracie do something with more aggressive music instead of this boring piano music which is way to slow for someone of her power and speed. I just feel like she's held back by such conservative music.

Agreed. I hate the way Frank is packaging her as a pageant princess. And her jumps have declined to the point where I wouldn't give them any positive GOE.

Leonova was much better (she had such character) and should be in first place, IMO.

sajoya

On the Ice
That Grace Kelly comment would have been really nice from Joannie were it not for her constant bitching about practically everyone else. :laugh:

It also sounded like the male commentator was uncomfortable just being there while she spouted on

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
The protocols don't help... Why did Gracie's 3Lz-3T get such low GOE, including -1 from two judges? I thought the quality was the best of the competition. On the other hand, Gracie getting the same P/E score (and higher CH) as Alena is just as crazy.

Anyway, I must get to sleep. Sorry, gentlemen. Please don't go splat in the meantime. :slink:

Last edited:

elee63

Final Flight
Wow from what everyone is saying, the guest commentator for Brit Eurosport this week isn't very good.
I'm lucky that the ISU skating channel has a live stream available where I live.

HAha, you have deduced correctly

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
She will get there. I have high hopes for the kid...

I'm sure she will get there. She's only just begun! :)

Her skating skills and musicality are indeed in a different league.

I disagree. I think Alena's and Kanako's skating skills are just fine and Alena's musicality and especially her performance quality is superior to Satoko's. Not to mention that unlike Leonova, Satoko URs which is a fault in technique. She also looks borderline junior to me but that could be because of her size. She just doesn't 'fill' the ice like the other two do.

Last edited:

elee63

Final Flight
On her triple/triple one judge gave Gold a goe of +2 and two gave her -1.

And isn't this after they take away one of the lowest scores? Things like this make me cringe. On the SAT essay, this would call for a closer look, and a re-assigning of the number. But not in figure skating. No, we are biased as (fill in the blank)

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
On her triple/triple one judge gave :mad:Gold a goe of +2 and two gave her -1.

:rolleye: I really can't stand when 3 points difference comes up like this. It either reflects the judges' bias or the lack of regulation & guidance in the ISU handbook or whatever it is called

Globetrotter

Medalist
Actually, Leonova had the highest SP TES. She had a lower base value than Gracie, but her jumps were better executed. None of Gold's jumps deserve any Positive GOE anymore and Carroll has turned into a boring pageant princess. Leonova's performance was much better (so much character) and she should be in first place, IMO.

You said it before I even got a chance to type it down! Yes, I do think Leonova had better execution on her elements minus the layback and Biellman which was meh. Look at the spread eagle entrance into the 2A - I think Gracie's 2A made me nervous. I think Leonova's 3T3T was also executed with much conviction and speed and flow out while Gracie's 3Lz3T was just ok, nothing to rave about. Not sure if its me but she has lost the big jumps I think. In terms of PCS, I will definitely say Leonova had better performance, better choreography and interpretation, she stayed in character throughout and was fun to watch. Gold just came across as artificial sweetener, I really dislike the Disney princess persona she is being forced into. However, her skating skills were certainly better than Leonova.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Both programs were quite good tonight. So glad the judges agreed with me. :biggrin:

Trewyn

Medalist
Interesting that Alena and Gracie are virtually tied. So.... if the standings remain as they are (long shot, because Alena isn't the best LP-skater), both Gracie and Ashley are through to the final?

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Wonderful Performances by the top 4! I'm a happy camper.

I WISH they'd give Satoko higher PCS; her speed and blade control is amazing. I'll be patient.
Do this well tomorrow ladies! :cheer::cheer:

stryke

On the Ice
Disable Hola before looking at protocols. It can keep you from accessing parts of ISU's site.

gotoschool

Medalist
Whatever the scores are, I thought Kanako was the best and was underscored just as the Japanese skaters were at Worlds earlier this year. I think she should be in the lead, but if not that she should at least be in close to a 3 way tie. I think Satoko was underscored too, but I can see Alena and Gracie being a just a little bit above her because of the height on their jumps, but not 8 points. All 4 skated really well. But, I don't know how Kanako could have skated any better. I can't see any urs and her jumps were high with good flow and she had wonderful extensions and the best Biellmann I have ever seen her do. I thought she was fantastic. It's my favorite SP performance of the year.

Last edited: