2014 NHK Trophy Ladies Short Program 11/28 | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2014 NHK Trophy Ladies Short Program 11/28

Meoima

Match Penalty
She also struggled in the SP at Skate America with the same program...so I don't think that was it.
She just did a good job. I'll give her credit where credit is due. :yes:
:cheer: yes, Gracie did very well.

Elaine

On the Ice
Yes. If Kanako wins. And if Alena gets second/Satoko is second and scores 121.30 or less in the FS/ Gracie scores 116.20 or less in the FS and drops to 2nd.

Thank you, Mrs. P.
Well I can't say if it is likely or not. At first I thought that doesn't sound likely:rolleye: But well....it could happen. Go Kanako!!!

nadster

Final Flight
She has definitely lost weight. And, if you want my personal opinion, it has been a big mistake.

Now, of course I realise that the motivation for losing weight was to make up for being so well endowed. Let's face it, with those babies, she was carrying a lot more weight than all the other skaters on the circuit.

But, rather than coming off her chest, the weight has come off her waist.

The result is that not only does she now look aesthetically out-of-proportion (a massive chest on a slim girl just doesn't look right), but it means that she is even more top-heavy than before. And that in turn means a higher centre of gravity, which makes it even harder for her to the jumps.

Perhaps not surprising then that Elene really did look in pain as soon as the routine finished. But, she quickly put on a smile for the cameras when coming off the ice.

So, in other words, the tactic is backfiring!

CaroLiza_fan

Not to be taken lightly ( obvious that surgery is not to be taken lightly ) but she could do a Halep ( tennis player ) and make the surgeon's knife do the work.

slider11

Medalist
No offense to Polina but her SP does not surprise me. First - no one is perfect. So, if this is just a blip in the screen and she returns to her former consistency, that's fine. But, imo, she may be experiencing some of the growing pains that all young people and young skaters face. Her body is changing so certainly the bio mechanics to her jumps will be affected. And good artistry takes time. I am not among the group that think these youthful pixie dances equate to great artistry. That goes for Elena, too. As serious as she is, I much prefer Julia and think she has a deeper soul on the ice. Back to Polina - I won't be shocked if she ends up 5th or 6thh here and even if she falls off the podium at Nationals. But she has time to grow and develop in all aspects of her skating.

elee63

Final Flight
One thing I don't understand is, how we as fans expect skaters (after one bad skate) to have suddenly lost consistency, and vice versa, after one good skate, expect them to be back at the top of their form. Skating is a fickle sport. An ice chip in the skater's way can alter a program, whether they are landing the jumps in practice or not, and so can a myriad of other factors that we seem to forget, when we have a list of numbers and results in front of us.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
She has definitely lost weight. And, if you want my personal opinion, it has been a big mistake.

Now, of course I realise that the motivation for losing weight was to make up for being so well endowed. Let's face it, with those babies, she was carrying a lot more weight than all the other skaters on the circuit.

But, rather than coming off her chest, the weight has come off her waist.

The result is that not only does she now look aesthetically out-of-proportion (a massive chest on a slim girl just doesn't look right), but it means that she is even more top-heavy than before. And that in turn means a higher centre of gravity, which makes it even harder for her to the jumps.

Perhaps not surprising then that Elene really did look in pain as soon as the routine finished. But, she quickly put on a smile for the cameras when coming off the ice.

So, in other words, the tactic is backfiring!

CaroLiza_fan

I agree, I feel sad for her, because she has really good routine this season, she has beautiful element, but, she looks exhausted in her program. This is certainly due to her enormous weight loss. :no:
I hope that she takes care of herself after this competition, she deserve it, she is a lovely girl!

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I'm really happy for Gracie! (and I love that dress:biggrin:) Hope to see her skating clean tomorrow too.

desertskates

Medalist
I didn't watch because I was so tired after cooking all day, but eeenteresting results! I did look over the protocalls, though. Great for Gracie for coming through on that short. I hope the pressure doesn't get to her for the long. I would love to see her and Ashley both in the GPF, it would be like a US Nationals preview for us. And I'm so glad I put Alena on my predictions podium, I really think she's just on this year. Congrats to the Japanese ladies for strong programs :cheer: And as for Polina -- :cry: I just love her and really hope she pulls out of this little slump sometime soon.

Edit--I just watched the top 4. Wow :love: gorgeous programs from the top 4! Gracie looks as though she has returned to form, Alena's short is one of my favorite programs this year, I'm so happy she skated it so well. Kanako was just a joy, the lyrics are a good thing in this program, and I can't wait to watch Satoko and her skating mature over time. Nicely done, ladies! :cheer2:

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Whatever the scores are, I thought Kanako was the best and was underscored just as the Japanese skaters were at Worlds earlier this year. I think she should be in the lead, but if not that she should at the very least be in close to a 3 way tie. I think Satoko was underscored too, but I can see Leonova and Gold being a just a little bit above her because of the height on their jumps, certainly not 8 points. All 4 skated really well. But, I don't know how Kanako could have skated any better. I can't see any urs and her jumps were high with good flow and she had wonderful extensions and the best Biellmann I have ever seen her do. I thought she was fantastic. It's my favorite SP performance of the year.

From a pure enjoyment standpoint, I liked Kanako's skate the best. But Gracie deserved to be first based on her tech content. I see massive potential in Satoko. Leonova--not my favorite but she skated well here. All in all, great skating by the top four.

Sackie

Medalist
Yes Alena should be in first but they have to keep Gracie up there so that even if she falls to 2nd here she might have enough points to make the GPF.
And also even in 11th place Polina was over marked. For some reason she got full credit for a 3Z when it was clearly not fully rotated - and that is what caused the fall. It really doesn't matter in the short here but it might in the overall score if she can come back strong in the Free. She was also over marked in the short at her last event too and was able to finish in 4th place where if had she been marked fairly she would have been 5th or 6th.

mustafakent

On the Ice
Yes Alena should be in first but they have to keep Gracie up there so that even if she falls to 2nd here she might have enough points to make the GPF.

What ? :laugh: Gracie did 3Lz+3T and Alena did 3T+3T.Also, I don't think Alena will be that much lucky about spin levels and GOE's again.

These results are amazing for my favourite skaters.I am so happy. :cheer: I hope Gracie and Alena will be on top 2 so that Ashley and Gracie can go to Barcelona. :selfishmodeon: :drama:

ranjake

Final Flight
What ? :laugh: Gracie did 3Lz+3T and Alena did 3T+3T.Also, I don't think Alena will be that much lucky about spin levels and GOE's again.

These results are amazing for my favourite skaters.I am so happy. :cheer: I hope Gracie and Alena will be on top 2 so that Ashley and Gracie can go to Barcelona. :selfishmodeon: :drama:

I MUCH preferred Gracie today (and I'm not usually a fan) there was a purity for me today in everything she did. I am so happy for Leonova, as well- she did a great job and looked so happy; and I know it's been a struggle for her to comeback. I wish all the Ladies good vibes for the FS; can't wait to watch.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
OMG, I thought that the curse on our Polinas was broken. :bang:

It's so weird that she's able to deliver an FS with excellent jumps, but her SPs have been awful this year. I totally jinxed her when I said her SP couldn't be any worse... clearly we were wrong. I don't think she's ever had a competition segment with the worst TES.

I'm surprised the Japanese ladies aren't getting higher PCS on home ice, but I must say, I'm loving how the PCS scores aren't running the show and the technical content is determining placements.