2015 Europeans Free Dance, Jan. 29 | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2015 Europeans Free Dance, Jan. 29

Alba

Record Breaker
Among the rest... I confess I liked Guignard/Fabbri! I thought the music was fun and they were energetic. Perhaps I just have bad taste, since I'm probably the only one. :slink:

You are not alone. :biggrin: I don't like the program, the music choice, but I think G&F has a lot of potential and technically they are good. Much better than C&L, IMO.

I completely agree with you about the french as well. I like them very much, at least with this program and Guillaume is a fantastic skater, but I'm not buying "the best couple after V&M, or even better" thing, I'm reading right now around. :rolleye:

Im not so sure Shpilband will so easily take them back after cavorting with the enemy. Anyway, he still has a top team in Chock and Bates- he wont want for medals.

One of the reasons they left Igor was because he didn't pay any attention to them. Anyway, many have a wrong impression about these two. They always worked with Paola and Ludmilla mostly. Igor, and Zueva now, were/are more like consultants.

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
You are not alone. :biggrin: I don't like the program, the music choice, but I think G&F has a lot of potential and technically they are good. Much better than C&L, IMO.

I completely agree with you about the french as well. I like them very much, at least with this program and Guillaume is a fantastic skater, but I'm not buying "the best couple after V&M, or even better" thing, I'm reading right now around. :rolleye:
I'm probably insane for actually liking their FD. :laugh: I actually enjoyed watching them more than I did Hurtado/Diaz (though without a doubt H/D had the better SD).

Virtue/Moir are still on another level for me. I recently rewatched their Umbrellas of Cherbourg (Worlds) and The Seasons (GPF) back-to-back. :drama: I could write endlessly about how incredible they are, and at the same time feel like I have no words.

Alba

Record Breaker
I'm probably insane for actually liking their FD. :laugh: I actually enjoyed watching them more than I did Hurtado/Diaz (though without a doubt H/D had the better SD).

Virtue/Moir are still on another level for me. I recently rewatched their Umbrellas of Cherbourg (Worlds) and The Seasons (GPF) back-to-back. :drama: I could write endlessly about how incredible they are, and at the same time feel like I have no words.

It's not that bad and most probably it is fun. I think they gave the max. It's just that it's such a Barbara type of program. I feel like she is not giving them something to make them stand out, or that fully suits them. It's like they are a bit anonymous. I can't figure out what kind of skaters are they, and what's their style.

p.s. I have no words for V&M.:love:

Last edited:

BlackPack

Medalist
Among the rest... I confess I liked Guignard/Fabbri! I thought the music was fun and they were energetic. Perhaps I just have bad taste, since I'm probably the only one. :slink:

I like them and think they have great potential. Though they should really give Anna Cappellini's costume designer a call. Anna has looked stunning for several seasons. Babs' inspired costumes :cry::cry:

turgon97

On the Ice
I feel so bad for Elena and Ruslan. They lost a little over a point :(
But as they said bad experience is also an experience. Sending them loads of love! (they still have a small silver medal for SD!!!)

It's still a great accomplishment. Even after losing around 7 points because of that aborted lift and associated bobbles afterwards, they still came dang close to that bronze.

Lota

Record Breaker
I love that P/C won, but it's kinda scary tbh. For them I mean. They are very in right now and the judges are going with it (not that they don't deserve those scores), but they rose to the top so quickly that I'm scared about a (figurative, and literal I guess) fall happening. I mean, the careers of skaters are full of ups and downs. The judges really went with them this season, and I'm a bit scared that if a new great team comes along, they may fall out of the judges' favour for some reason. I don't know, I just kinda feel worried for them sometimes with everything happening so quickly :eek::

Mattieu

Medalist
I love that P/C won, but it's kinda scary tbh. For them I mean. They are very in right now and the judges are going with it (not that they don't deserve those scores), but they rose to the top so quickly that I'm scared about a (figurative, and literal I guess) fall happening. I mean, the careers of skaters are full of ups and downs. The judges really went with them this season, and I'm a bit scared that if a new great team comes along, they may fall out of the judges' favour for some reason. I don't know, I just kinda feel worried for them sometimes with everything happening so quickly :eek::

I am worried about this too.
I remember when the Shibs medalled at Worlds so early on, it was the kiss of death for them.
However, I think P/C are in a different league to the Shibs.

Lota

Record Breaker
I am worried about this too.
I remember when the Shibs medalled at Worlds so early on, it was the kiss of death for them.
However, I think P/C are in a different league to the Shibs.

Oh yes, the Shibs are a great example. I haven't always been their fan but I do like them and some of their programs. The way they've been underscored at times is incredible to say the least. Hopefully that doesn't happen to P/C. But, as they say, Lady luck is a fickle mistress, so you never know...

elif

Medalist
Shibutanis skated with polish and neatness. They have World medal because of it. After that year judges put attention to other details. Papadakis/Cizeron on other hand, skates like champions. Fast, big, powerful and effortless. They will be good.

I second that. Watching C/L this season makes me sad. It's like something or someone sucked the life and personality out of them and replaced it with over-the-top facial expressions and uninteresting programs. I didn't think Danse Macabre could be boring, but I was wrong.

I agree.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

alebi

Medalist
I'm so happy for Gabriella and Guillaume!! I have no words for what they've done, only a very big indescribable happiness :eek::

Anna and Luca did their job but their dance felt really empty. Maybe because we can consider this competition as the first time they perform this season. I hope they'll add something more detailed and memorable for Worlds, now that their confidence is back.

Stepanova/Bukin.... I put my faith in you during the Gran Prix and you wasted it, now I didn't consider you and you medal... This is unfair towards me :scowl: :frown:

I hope people, Feds etc.. won't start a drama about Elena and Ruslan, forgetting they are together for less than a year and their connection still needs to be established. They were already in a medal position and with a world standing score. Or are people so blind or with short memory?! :disapp: For me they are the only Russian couple who can break in the near future the 100 points in a free.

This competition was the consecration for Hurtado / Diaz and Guignard / Fabbri, now they need to take advantage of it and build a solid reputation among judges. Try to always be perfect in the future and the PCS will grow with you. You don't have anything less than the various American and Canadian teams (with the exception of W/P and unfortunately C/B who are so loved...)

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
Much improved indeed, but I must say I prefer the choreo of their first version, so to speak.

Yeah, me too. The previous idea and choreography was a story - now it is just dancing something with a passionate mimicry and extensive arm movements. Without really telling the story.

I'm probably insane for actually liking their FD.

Sandpiper, you're not. I liked them a lot, too :) That music choice suits them so much better than Romeo and Juliet. I think they could change a choreographer and try to be more complex, it would help them for sure. Still, I enjoyed their performance a lot :)