2015 Japan Open | Page 43 | Golden Skate

2015 Japan Open

MIM

Medalist
I actually think that would be a good idea, the LP is not refreshing anymore, it might have had to do with how she was a mature skater against the rest of the field but now we've got big names coming back. There's not much time so I don't know how feasible it would be but I'd rather not see Moulin Rouge again as a LP

Yes, I reckon that. MR has so much empty spots choreographically. If she can extract the essence of it, I think it will be good. And I think Samba keeps her interesting. So good choice there!

artsciboy

On the Ice
I really love Ashley's Moulin Rouge program and was fine with her keeping it another season. That said, this version was waterdowned in terms of transitions compared to the version she used at World and the WTT. There were some minor changes - steps into the opening 2axel, steps into the second 3loop rather than the spread eagle - but they were replacements to the entrances she used last season, and a lot of the steps and choreographic movements Ashley added between Nationals and Worlds earlier this season went out the window here. Here's hoping she brings them back as she becomes more competition ready. Good on her for not getting an edge call on the 3lutz - but why did she get so many -1s and -2s? Was it two-footed? Hard to tell.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yep. He was dead to me when he called Mao 3a an illusion. Mao kept the jump relevant for ladies.

I thought there was some confusion as to the literal translation and meaning of that quote :confused2:

I don't pay much attention to Mishin though myself TBH.

Last edited:

adelia

Record Breaker
I'm reposting what Sweet Dream posted elsewhere. This is the google translation of Mishin's full interview:

Alexei Mishin: Just Lisa tighten Japan's triple axel
Japan Open was interesting because it was held after a missed season return not only Sotnikova, and other stars of world figure skating: triple world champion Mao Asada and Patrick Chan. Mao did not disappoint his audience, performing a triple axel for them, have not received Tuktamysheva. On the whole, it riding is impressive - a real art. But Chan in terms of jumps is not the same. However, as soon as he will restore them, argue with them will be difficult. But, as proved Yuzuru Hanyu (in the short program of the team tournament Sochi Evgeni Plushenko), - you can.

- By its spectacular tournament is not inferior to the World Cup - said the coach Sovsport.ru Tuktamysheva Plushenko and Alexei Mishin. - First of all impressed with Javier Fernandez. It is in the power of it in working condition. If Soma Uno, which is, shall we say, not entirely deserved, but worthy won first place, makes his jumps on the strength of will, the Spaniard - with high quality and impeccable technique. About Soma Uno can say that he is not a carrier of the classic forms of skiing, but from the arsenal, he let go of God, he squeezed all, if not more. Patrick Chan is suspended, he came back, but still clearly not at ease. Quad him failed, a triple axel was extended to the teeth.

- What was the main impression of the competition the girls?
- Neglecting false sense of modesty in the first place be noted Tuktamysheva. Triumphant seasons are not easy to pass, and we saw in the case of our Olympic champions. So Lisa after wins in 12 starts last season of 14, returns very difficult. But now we can say that things went smoothly, and it is starting to take on. Two things that I liked: a highly regarded experts any program in which she looks totally different than last year (in short, by the way, this difference is even more noticeable), and, of course, attempt to execute the axel in three half a turn. Lisa has not chickened out and tighten the jump - the only one in the competition.

- So Assad nedokruchivaet triple axel?
- Competitions were significant-commercial character, and of course, the Japanese skater used here supports native walls to a greater extent than anyone else. In general, the Figure Skating Federation of Japan are working very intelligent people. With this tournament, they identified the return of Mao advertised Soma Uno, Miyahara supported. I would take it start. Lisa And I'm really pleased. She skated well, and the final of any program at all led the audience in raptures.

- How do you Adelina Sotnikova, you probably just have not seen, like all of us?
- It is well done, decent and diligent girl. I note that in person, it made me a good impression. Test copper pipes she passed, and star fever has not touched her.

http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/846728

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
adelina : decent and diligent girl? say whatever you want... disagree with it or not but she is the Olympic Champion.. and as a fellow Russian he should be a tad more supportive no? oh well LOL PAKA!!!

adelia

Record Breaker
adelina : decent and diligent girl? say whatever you want... disagree with it or not but she is the Olympic Champion.. and as a fellow Russian he should be a tad more supportive no? oh well LOL PAKA!!!
Are you saying Adelina is not decent and not diligent? I don't know what you are upset about, Mishin has always had the highest respect for Adelina and is on good terms with Buyanova her coach.

Last edited:

adelia

Record Breaker
Google translate is a mess. But is Mishin saying Liza was the only one in the competition to do a 3axel?
"Mao did not disappoint his audience, performing a triple axel for them".
No, he didn't say that, since he also said the above which I have quoted.

The only one, meaning HER only 3A in the competition.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
"Mao did not disappoint his audience, performing a triple axel for them".
No, he didn't say that, since he also said the above which I have quoted.

Edited my post to add the part I found like he was saying she didn't do it.
Lisa has not chickened out and tighten the jump - the only one in the competition.

adelia

Record Breaker
Edited my post to add the part I found like he was saying she didn't do it.
"The only one" meaning Liza's only 3A. She only did 1.

Anyway whatever. People here clearly want to read into things much more negatively than it actually is.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
"The only one" meaning Liza's only 3A. She only did 1.

Anyway whatever. People here clearly want to read into things much more negatively than it actually is.

I don't think anyone here is intentionally trying to twist his words. We can all acknowledge that it's hard to tell through a bad translation.

CarneAsada

Medalist
That's an improvement over his last comments on Mao's 3A, at least. What a relief to learn I didn't hallucinate another 3A.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
So why did he send Liza to the event?

I don't know, probably for the reasons I listed. Prize money, exposure to Japanese skating fans. Also to try out her FS, just like everyone else got to do? :)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Ashley keeping Moulin Rouge would be good if she actually improved it.

One example is the opening - people used to be surprised by the first jump right on the clash music, but now everyone knows its coming and it isn't exciting to see her telegraph a small double axel (it wasn't exciting for me to begin with). At the very start of last season she opened the program with a walley into a 3Flip. That was great. It flowed better and it was bigger and more exciting, which is the whole point of timing a jump there.

She needs to stop it with the 3Loop+half loop+3Sal. It. Will. Not. Work. Also, doing a 2Axel+2Toe? Is that supposed to excite us? There are better jump combinations for her to do.

The spins are all wrong for the program too. I've talked about it so many times over the past several years and the story remains the same. She could be doing the max base level spins (CCoSp4, FCCoSp4, CCSp4) and have them look better and get better GOE all at the same time, without having to introduce any new positions that she isn't already able to do! For some reason she chooses the inferior, less-valuable choreography.

There's also room for new music edits, so much great music in Moulin Rouge. The current program ends up being more about how she is an underdog, "inside my heart is breaking and my makeup is flaking", and how the show must go on. Okay, that was great last season, but you could display more pure power and overflowing emotion this season.

minze

Medalist
Ashley's skating skills are good, but not great and you can clearly see it when compared to let's say Gracie.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Ashley keeping Moulin Rouge would be good if she actually improved it.

One example is the opening - people used to be surprised by the first jump right on the clash music, but now everyone knows its coming and it isn't exciting to see her telegraph a small double axel (it wasn't exciting for me to begin with). At the very start of last season she opened the program with a walley into a 3Flip. That was great. It flowed better and it was bigger and more exciting, which is the whole point of timing a jump there.

She needs to stop it with the 3Loop+half loop+3Sal. It. Will. Not. Work. Also, doing a 2Axel+2Toe? Is that supposed to excite us? There are better jump combinations for her to do.

The spins are all wrong for the program too. I've talked about it so many times over the past several years and the story remains the same. She could be doing the max base level spins (CCoSp4, FCCoSp4, CCSp4) and have them look better and get better GOE all at the same time, without having to introduce any new positions that she isn't already able to do! For some reason she chooses the inferior, less-valuable choreography.

There's also room for new music edits, so much great music in Moulin Rouge. The current program ends up being more about how she is an underdog, "inside my heart is breaking and my makeup is flaking", and how the show must go on. Okay, that was great last season, but you could display more pure power and overflowing emotion this season.

first bolded passage... YUP

second one... didn't anyone learn it was a bad idea to do 2A+2T? what a waste

Lota

Record Breaker
Lol, as a translator, I really get see the importance of my line of work when I go on this site :laugh:

ysy94

Rinkside
Just read protocol, who is Judge7, honestly, Shoma's mother (or the one who love cutie pie)?
Average GOE for his jump given by Judge 7 is 2.3 and average PCS is 9.45