2015 Cup of China Ladies Free Skate | Page 39 | Golden Skate

2015 Cup of China Ladies Free Skate

TheCzar

On the Ice
Rika was the star here at the COC for the ladies. Nicely skated, strong and consistent. I am not totally sold on her version of Riverdance. After seeing on youtube Bourne and Kraatz and even Brown this is down the list a bit. wow it is going be a great battle at Japanese nationals. It is a real reality that Russia might not have any lady on the world podium and only 1 lady in the GP final. That being said skating in ladies well all events might be for one of the first time without clear leaders. On would think Mao would clearly lead the ladies but forget Mao's closes and most dedicated fans she didn't win the fs and when she misses elements and loses her confidence the edges and flow are affected. Of course if she had skated cleanly or at least with out struggles on jumps she has nice flow. But she doesn't have the assurety and confidence and consistency of Yuna who you could count on to get the job done cleanly and effortlessly. Even Mao's preparation for the more difficult elements looks like she is thinking versus say Chan who even when he prepares it looks like part of the program with great flow. I am exaggerating but almost all skaters onbig elements look like they are taking a great big run at it before they jump. Mao has amazing flow and grace when on though. As or comments about her look it is lcear lavender is her fave color. It is pretty but not necessarily ideal or complementary to her Madame butterfly program forget her skin color. I think she likes the color as she has worn it many times but it is a very "cool" color and Madame butterfly has a lot of warmth and drama and highlight pont so a deep crimson or orange or evne pink with a red tone would be better. This lavender is better for ethereal programs for lack of words. That being said it is official It is a dog fight in the ladies three lovely Japanese ladies, two strong looking American princesses with attitude and a dog fight for the third spot and a mess on the Russian team - though a mess a lot of nations would love. Sure Med seems a bit young and untested and everyone else is struggling but their struggling skaters Liza, Rad, Adelina, Alena, Anna let alone Alena and Julia who have all but been forgotten is not a horrible situation comparatively. Interesting the door is open for Mirai to show some 2010 form and win it all - but ice is slippery.

Not that Yuna should be included in this competition, great queen that she is- she had only skated cleanly (both SP and FS) 6 times. What even is the point? The topic in discussion is the current ladies field. As far as consistency is concerned, It's her first competition after a year off. HOW CATASTROPHIC.

iceberg

On the Ice
Of course the queen, i mean "their queen" would always be used as a reference. Whatever floats. [emoji122][emoji1]

euroskate

Final Flight
I just now had the chance to watch the long. Rika very nice and enjoyable. Akiko Suzuki is doing a great job as a choreographer.
But O BOY MAO OWNS the ice. I don´t give a **** on her jumping minstakes. THIS IS WHAT FIGURE SKATING SHOULD LOOK LIKE. I love this program. those moves are only coming with the maturity she has now. i dont care of all those little jumping machines. THAT is what i want to see!

minze

Medalist
I just now had the chance to watch the long. Rika very nice and enjoyable. Akiko Suzuki is doing a great job as a choreographer.
But O BOY MAO OWNS the ice. I don´t give a **** on her jumping minstakes. THIS IS WHAT FIGURE SKATING SHOULD LOOK LIKE. I love this program. those moves are only coming with the maturity she has now. i dont care of all those little jumping machines. THAT is what i want to see!

Agree.

iceberg

On the Ice

superlike!

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Just a personal ranking of the top ladies' programs, purely IMO:

Gracie/Adelina
Elena
Mao
Rika
Anna
Ashley
Satoko (beautiful programs that leave me feeling cold, tbh)
Liza

No Evgenia? :scratch2: She's the top ranked lady in the GP at the moment.

Leonardo

Final Flight
She had Japan Open, in which she was overscored.

:roll9:
She made almost no mistakes at JO and got 69 pcs (her pb is 72), but some people criticized her marks because the competition was in Japan. Now she made a lot of mistakes but still got 69 pcs in CHINA (the most realistic gp so far), indicating that if she hits her marks will be even higher. Please, where were you when a skater (sorry lovely zhenya) in her senior debut got 67 pcs in her first competition with a fall?

Last edited:

lishazard

Rinkside
I'm a little worried about Lena's chances for the GPF. Her next assignment is Rostelecom Cup, with Adelina and Evgenia. Based on past season patterns, this is Evgenia's year to be consistent and amazing (and she has beautiful programs!), Adelina generally has a PCS cushion (deservedly so, but the cushion will be bigger in Russia), and Russian skaters tend not to do too well at home. So even if Lena makes the podium, but doesn't get gold, that might mean she won't make the GPF. Tacky programs aside, I've loved watching her on ice since her junior season, and this season especially when she has such gorgeous dresses.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Mao: Moments of brilliance (that triple axel!! spread eagle to the music in the end!) interspersed with some mistakes. Still a very deserved win, considering what she did in the short. Performance-wise, it wasn't as free and easy as the short or even JO, but I'm sure we'll see her do better later on.

Rika: Loved her energy. I just wish that program could've existed in a world without the excruciating COP StSq that killed its momentum in the middle. Nonetheless, winning the free here is an amazing result for her, and everyone can learn a thing or two from her consistency. :)

Elena: I don't love the program, but I don't hate it either. I do find the bit at the end with Celine Dion vocals + talking to be a bit much. Very proud of her, vaulting from 6th to a medal position. The lutz-toe at the beginning actually looked better than the ones from last year.

Anna: It must suck for her, losing by decimal points. Loved her speed and improved presentation at the beginning. It did start looking a bit rushed/ragged in the middle section, though she mainly got it back together by the end.

Courtney: Everything from off-kilter from start to finish. My brain refuses to process how that meltdown went above So Youn and Zijun (Zayak, I know, but still....)

So Youn: Better than the short, nice to see her hit a beautiful 3Lo. But still not near her potential.

Zijun: I liked the opening pose, where she showed a more playful side. Unfortunately, she didn't have the energy to keep it going for the steps at the end. If only she could improve her attack and stamina, this program would be great.

mikeko666

Final Flight
According to whom. Your opinion, because if you want to talk about over scoring you need to take a look at all the completions this season that were ISU sanctioned this season and stop referring to a comercial competition like the Japan Open.

JO was a very commercial event indeed, with her personal sponsors everywhere. The judge panel was very lenient to her, for example giving +GOE to 3F-1Lo even though 3F was clearly underrotated. The tech panel gave ! instead of < to her lutz, and maybe she believed it.

:roll9:
She made almost no mistakes at JO and got 69 pcs (her pb is 72), but some people criticized her marks because the competition was in Japan. Now she made a lot of mistakes but still got 69 pcs in CHINA (the most realistic gp so far), indicating that if she hits her marks will be even higher. Please, where were you when a skater (sorry lovely zhenya) in her senior debut got 67 pcs in her first competition with a fall?

Her PCS didn't drop for the same reason that Hanyu's SP didn't at SC. PCS is based on reputation and determined before the performance starts. Asada's messy jumps kept disrupting the program. Her jumping technique has not improved at all, a permanent fluzter and chronic underrotator. If the tech panel at this year's Japan Nationals is as super-strict as last year, her fate will be like Murakami. Probably this year, he tech panel will be adjusted for her, though.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
So Youn has grown fuller this season, even though just slightly, but she was not a stick figure to start with. She has great technique but still struggles with consistency.

Zijun's stamina issue is puzzling: why can't a full time professional athlete improve her stamina, considering her body stopped changing for about 2 years now. From my understanding, stamina is something the majority of people can be trained to improve, vs. explosive jumping power, which is something you were born with. Is she getting enough training time? I remember Ashley did some stamina training like running to improve her strength, which worked well for her. It's just frustrating to see her season after season like this.
Zijun's choreography made me laugh a little bit: Didn't Lori use very similar moves for Han Yan's program too?

winky97

Medalist
X
I'm a little worried about Lena's chances for the GPF. Her next assignment is Rostelecom Cup, with Adelina and Evgenia. Based on past season patterns, this is Evgenia's year to be consistent and amazing (and she has beautiful programs!), Adelina generally has a PCS cushion (deservedly so, but the cushion will be bigger in Russia), and Russian skaters tend not to do too well at home. So even if Lena makes the podium, but doesn't get gold, that might mean she won't make the GPF. Tacky programs aside, I've loved watching her on ice since her junior season, and this season especially when she has such gorgeous dresses.

I share ur concern though I don't consider her programs tacky. I might just have a weak spot for Elena but I I like her SP. I don't have feelings one way or another on her LP. I just want her to skate it well. I became more concerned about Rostelcom when I went to SA and saw Evgenia and her backloaded tano on just about every jump program. Elena had this look in her eye while seating in kiss and cry and has described her SP as the worse in her career. I think she has a fire in her belly and maybe that we'll help at Rostelcom. A part of me wonders if it would not be better for her not to be at GPF so that she can be fresh for that rumble at Russian Nats. I care more about her getting to Europeans and Worlds (particularly since I have a ticket) than I do GPFs.

Seruleane

Final Flight

I agree, I am a bit worried too. Rika will be at Rostelecom Cup too, so I could easily envision a podium without Lena on it (though I don't want to). I just hope Elena stays in good health and regains her jump consistency. However, I am pleased with her improved overall skating skills, posture, etc. so I already think she has progressed from last year. The field is just tougher this year!

Leonardo

Final Flight
Her PCS didn't drop for the same reason that Hanyu's SP didn't at SC. PCS is based on reputation and determined before the performance starts. Asada's messy jumps kept disrupting the program. Her jumping technique has not improved at all, a permanent fluzter and chronic underrotator. If the tech panel at this year's Japan Nationals is as super-strict as last year, her fate will be like Murakami. Probably this year, he tech panel will be adjusted for her, though.

Well, the argument was: Japan open is inflated because the competition is in Japan. But in China she got the same pcs marks with mistakes. Conclusion: the argument is false. Anyway, pcs are not about jumping quality. Regarding jumps: You may think her jumping technique hasn't improve, but many think the opposite, including the judges. Her 3A looks better than ever, she can do a correct 3lz in training and all the other jumps looked great in JO. Yes, she had an off day and got the deductions for her mistakes, but she can do much better than that.
Keep in mind that every skater can improve in some area. Sometimes you can do it, sometimes you don't, that's life. Nothing is permanent or completely chronic, especially ur calls or these kind of details. I know you wish the best for Mao and for every skater ;), so don't worry, her fate won't be like Murakami's, she will work hard as she always did, and will win many competitions with beautiful skating and fantastic scores. She's a legend of the sport, a three time world champion (just won her 15th GP event) with nothing to prove to anyone. We'll all be happy just to see her gorgeous skating :2thumbs:

minze

Medalist
JO was a very commercial event indeed, with her personal sponsors everywhere. The judge panel was very lenient to her, for example giving +GOE to 3F-1Lo even though 3F was clearly underrotated. The tech panel gave ! instead of < to her lutz, and maybe she believed it.

PCS and jumps are different categories.
Are you mad because Mao has a lot sponsors? Are you still mad and blame Mao for Akiko been underscored before. Move on Akiko is not competing anymore and she loves Mao. Do you understand that Mao was not on the judging panels that use to underscore Akiko.
And I bring her up because you use to go on and on how Mao got preferential treatment over

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Why the **** are people so hung up on the Lutz (not just with Mao but in general)? People try to use this argument that skaters who flutz are terrible skaters. They always like to focus on this one jump (most prominent during Yuna vs Mao). Actually, why are people nitpicking on the UR and edge when she got penalized for them? A jump that has some under rotation or an edge call but otherwise looks great (especially if you have to make a call using slow-motion replay) doesn't necessarily deserve negative GOE (ESPECIALLY when there's already a reduction in base value!) and certainly shouldn't be reflected in the components. Mao fights for every point she gets and has always had to. For some reason, she can't get candy components like someone such as Carolina (who seemingly gets defacto 36/73 PCS regardless of what she does) or components approaching 70 when you just come off the junior scene.

EyesOfLove

On the Ice
Huge respect for Mao for being able to land 3Axels this consistently even at her age and after taking a year off. That Axel in the LP was probably the best among ones she has landed in her career. Has she ever been this solid in the beginning of a season?

qwerty

On the Ice
Positive posts: Beautiful 3A from Mao, super momentum for Rika. Lovely dresses for Elena.

Snide remarks: I felt like a bit of a jerk, but I was actually laughing out loud a bit at Radionova's free skate music, ahhhh. It's just so cheesy! There are actually plenty of decent parts to the Titanic soundtrack, don't know why they got stuck on "My Heart Will Go On" (and on, and on....) Wishful thinking, but I hope they can redo the edit. Probs won't happen, alas.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Huge respect for Mao for being able to land 3Axels this consistently even at her age and after taking a year off. That Axel in the LP was probably the best among ones she has landed in her career. Has she ever been this solid in the beginning of a season?

I'd say she was pretty solid at the beginning of the 2013-2014 Olympic season (minus Japanese nationals that season and of course, the olympic SP)

andromache

Record Breaker
No Evgenia? :scratch2: She's the top ranked lady in the GP at the moment.

Oops! That was forgetfulness on my part. I made my list off the top of my head! I suppose it doesn't say much for her that I forgot her, but I would still put her above Ashley and Anna for program complexity (as compared to Ashley) and polish (as opposed to Anna.) Just a mistake! I felt like I was forgetting someone...