2015 Cup of China Ladies Free Skate | Page 41 | Golden Skate

2015 Cup of China Ladies Free Skate

hurrah

Medalist
Came back from China, having watched the event live. Goldenskate cannot be accessed in China!! Couldn't believe it. And watching figure skating in China is quite something. People in the audience get up from their seats in the middle of a performance all the time, and no one complains about it as if it's normal! I guess it is normal in China.

Regarding the ladies event, well, was totally bummed that Mao lost confidence in her jumps after she fell on her loop, but everything else about her performance was really exquisite. I was sitting fairly close to the rink, but not that close, and I could clearly hear her edges in the way that I couldn't hear from all the other ladies.

There were other skaters whose set up into jumps were faster, such as, for example, Courtney Hicks, but then what would happen with her would be that she would just pop her jumps. Or else, with some skaters, their initial speed as they were setting up would be faster than Mao's, but then they would just slow down right down to Mao's speed or slower just as they were about to take off.

Pogo and Elena had faster setup speed, but Pogo's lutz technique, in particular, is really scary. I don't think her lutz can ever be all that stable with the way she does it. Elena was quite a bit taller, but I think she still has a girl's body, and I do wonder if her jumps will survive puberty. Her jump technique really relies on her ability to rotate quickly, and she may lose that once her body becomes mature. I would bet that Pogo has a higher chance of long-term success. Both Pogo and Elena are ravishing creatures, BTW.

I did think that Mao's overall jump technique was the best of all the ladies. There is a great deal of control to the way she jumps in the way that I don't see from the other ladies. I think she just needs to become a little bit more confident with her technique, and then her speed with go up just that little bit more, and she won't under-rotate any more.

In terms of who has the best speed, flow and stability in e.g., step sequence, it was Mao, of course. Everyone else was totally sloppy in comparison.

David21

On the Ice
If it wasn't a lutz with good edge it wouldn't have been ratified that season, and it was from several tech panels, and it also received good goe from the judges, and even the commentators praised her for it. if you still don't want to accept this reality, it's your problem!

The Mao fans are really too funny with their consistant denying of her flutzing and underrotation. You really have to live in a special "reality" to believe what they believe. :laugh:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
So Youn has grown fuller this season, even though just slightly, but she was not a stick figure to start with. She has great technique but still struggles with consistency.

Zijun's stamina issue is puzzling: why can't a full time professional athlete improve her stamina, considering her body stopped changing for about 2 years now. From my understanding, stamina is something the majority of people can be trained to improve, vs. explosive jumping power, which is something you were born with. Is she getting enough training time? I remember Ashley did some stamina training like running to improve her strength, which worked well for her. It's just frustrating to see her season after season like this.
Zijun's choreography made me laugh a little bit: Didn't Lori use very similar moves for Han Yan's program too?

yes, there is similarity between Zijun's program and Han's program choreo (also, if you look at their programs over recent couple of years by Lori, you will find more similarity). Lori even wanted them to skate to the same song "over the rainbow" initially this season. She seems view Zijun and Han as a pack, which is kinda ridiculous IMO.
Yet, most Chinese figure skating fans including Zijun and Han themselves thought, Lori is the best ever happened in their life....

Barb

Record Breaker
What happens with Zijun?, she have not muscles, she needs to do weights urgent. I really like her programs this season and her dresses are beautiful.

minze

Medalist
What happens with Zijun?, she have not muscles, she needs to do weights urgent. I really like her programs this season and her dresses are beautiful.

She might need another training situation because this has been going on for a long time and she is waisting her potential. In 2013 worlds people were saying she was going to become podium contender and that has not happen.
She has such beautiful qualities to her skating. There moments when she is on the ice that she reminds me of Mao Asada. She has beautiful moments.

She really needs to work on her skating skills, she sometimes looks so slow and laborious on the ice.

Last edited:

Franklin99

Medalist
Anyone who has access to NBC channel, they're showing the women's LP right now. They start by showing Mao's SP first. I can tell you guys, Mao looks sooooo good on a big screen tv, and very fast too.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Anyone who has access to NBC channel, they're showing the women's LP right now. They start by showing Mao's SP first. I can tell you guys, Mao looks sooooo good on a big screen tv, and very fast too.

*turns on NBC... sees infomercials*

:furious: :angry1: :curse:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Thanks!!! Lena looks so pretty and sparkly on my big screen!!

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I actually like Lenok's Titanic but please .. Can someone get her to stop doing the arm raise thing so often🙈

I got my fair share of that from Gracie and Ashley this season already

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yes, but it's like live-streaming quality, and not even as good as something like the Eurosport Player.

I want to see it in HD on the big screen! :sad4:

Ah, I see. Did not realize the quality was inferior. Sorry to hear it.

Oh, no....the babyface crying :sad4: gets to me every time :sad4: ...

ETA, not to rub it in, but the costumes do look gorgeous on TV. I love Mao's SP dress and Elena's FS dress.​

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh my.....Courtney's dress. I actually like when people wear things that aren't my cup of tea. I love her skating skills but she has missed two big moments in her program by fudging the jumps up. Her 3z-1lo-3s is her best jump pass and placed at a crucial point in the program. Too bad she blew it. Sorry but I'm going to keep commenting live thoughts even though this event already happened. :p

I love Courtney's program and can't wait to see her nail it at nationals and make the podium!!!!

Awesome Choreo!!! Good job Rohene!

Last edited:

Franklin99

Medalist
Yes, but it's like live-streaming quality, and not even as good as something like the Eurosport Player.

I want to see it in HD on the big screen! :sad4:

I'm watching in HD, and the ladies look lovely. I don't get the hate on Lena's FS. It could be better, but it's not that bad.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So the crowd in China gets out of their seats during performances of skaters but not for Rika's FS :furious:

At least they clapped along and cheered her on though but that was standing O worthy IMO.

Last edited:

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
My NBC is showing an infomercial for a vacuum cleaner rather than beautiful Lena, what is wrong with the world?!? :sad4:

Well I would take the vacuum commercial over the baptist church service my NBC station is showing instead of skating. Bibles and basketball always trumps skating in my part of the world.:sad21: