2017 JGP Latvia Ladies FS | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2017 JGP Latvia Ladies FS

keasus

On the Ice
So all the skating done first, then finish with jumps?? So eteri. I am over that concept now..... but she has some lovely jumps.

I'm with you. It's gotten to the point where I use the Eteri skaters for breaks. I know what I am going to see, and I am bored with it even if her students have impressive technical content.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Yeah, Daria really does look she's going to be executed on the spot. I'm puzzled--she's won, so her second assignment is guaranteed, she's almost a lock for the final... her skate wasn't even a complete disaster... so what's up?

She was worried to lose to Rika Kihira, she smiled when the total score came out, but disappointed for the mistakes.

Think what kind of feeling could have a skater who comes from group where everyone is constantly producing clean performances and you're the one who almost messed up.

keasus

On the Ice
Well, I don't know how true it is that Daria is sort of the black sheep of the group already (hard to distinguish between truth and rumor from some wild imaginations), but maybe she knows that this will lower her stock even more with Eteri. I'm thinking of Abby Lee's "pyramid" on Dance Moms all of a sudden...

Isn't Abby Lee in prison now for tax evasion or cheating?

readernick

Medalist
Happy for all the girls! Daria has nice height on her jumps. She doesn't just rely on quick rotation. I think she might survive puberty. Emmy Ma is a lovely skater. She needs a 3-3 to become a real threat. But, my favorite is Rika. She is technically and artistically gifted. I am a huge fan!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think that Emmy is really lucky because she skated last. If she had skated before Alisa, the Russian girl would have played it safe and stayed on the podium.

Arguably Emmy could have had a poor skate due to nerves and skating last with a medal on the line. Not to mention that Alisa would have skated to win, not to stay on the podium. I don't see her watering down her program.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I think that Emmy is really lucky because she skated last. If she had skated before Alisa, the Russian girl would have played it safe and stayed on the podium.

Alisa was already ahead after the SP. She could have still played it safe if all she wanted was to medal. She wanted to win gold and I think she still would have attempted her ambitious program no matter when she skated.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker

Considering all of Eteri's girls that competed before her skated clean and with a bang, this would be a sin to do for Panenkova

russianfan

Match Penalty
Too sad Kihira lost too much points in her SP, otherwise she would be the deserved winner. But she has shown a strong mentality and performed really well even after fall in FP, which is what i, personally, respect a lot.

Ender

Match Penalty
The girl who won gold looked so stressed in the medal ceremony. I feel scared for her. To be in that group when everyone keeps skating clean. Ugh... relax girl. You will get another assignment and will be in JGPF.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tactically, Emmy skating last after the two Russian girls was potentially the worst possible place to skate. If the two Russians skated really well, nothing Emmy did would matter, and thunderous applause might rattle her coming onto the ice.

As it turned out, neither one had a clean, truly dominant skate (Kihira's was the best of the night at that point, even with the failed 3a).

Emmy was so composed coming out to skate that I felt sure she would deliver, and she did. Maybe her coach told her she had a real shot at a medal, and she went for it. If so, then kudos to her for meeting the challenge head on.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Anyone noticed from the medal ceremony that Daria is not the typical tiny girl of Eteri's?

For me, her level is way below Tarakanova and Trusova. Mistakes in jump aside, she has very little connection with the music in both SP and LP. She might have a emotional connection, but the rhythm of her skate is not related to the music at all. She did not execute the intended details in her choreography. Not the performance I would like to re-watch.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Too sad Kihira lost too much points in her SP, otherwise she would be the deserved winner. But she has shown a strong mentality and performed really well even after fall in FP, which is what i, personally, respect a lot.

Agree. She went on as if nothing had happened. She is one tough competitor!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is it time for Fedechkina to retire?

Only if she wants to retire. Forcing someone out at 15 before they can fully adjust and become a senior seems shortsided. There is no reason I can think of that a struggling and promising junior can't develop on the Senior B events and work their way up the rankings.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Can't wait for Eteri Tutberidze's Grand Prix final!

3 gold in a row, if all their girls skates clean at both events, they can win all gold medals and 4 out of 6 skaters at the final would be Eteri's skaters.

andromache

Record Breaker
Anyone noticed from the medal ceremony that Daria is not the typical tiny girl of Eteri's?

For me, her level is way below Tarakanova and Trusova. Mistakes in jump aside, she has very little connection with the music in both SP and LP. She might have a emotional connection, but the rhythm of her skate is not related to the music at all. She did not execute the intended details in her choreography. Not the performance I would like to re-watch.

I like the quality of her movement moreso than Tarakanova and Trusova. Less rushed, more purposeful (though she is slower than the other girls). But this LP was just not good. Eteri needs to hire another choreographer or two for these girls. If I'm going to have to watch 2 and a half minutes of average spins and footwork, it's at least got to be interesting from a choreographic perspective.

Why did she take her hair band out at the end? Very unnecessary.

Because she's not-so-tiny already, she may have better luck with a longer career than some others, depending on how they grow. I'll be shocked if all of her girls will be able to maintain the longevity that Evgenia has.

God though. I really, really dislike watching a young girl win a competition but be so upset over one mistake. It's not fun. Daria's post-skate reaction compared to Rika's says it all. Competition and pressure is great, but you need to learn to shrug off your mistakes and smile if you want to survive, because otherwise the stress and unhappiness will crush you. That's what Evgenia has done. Her mistakes are rare, but when she makes them, she smiles.