2017 JGP Latvia Ladies FS | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2017 JGP Latvia Ladies FS

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I like the quality of her movement moreso than Tarakanova and Trusova. Less rushed, more purposeful (though she is slower than the other girls). But this LP was just not good. Eteri needs to hire another choreographer or two for these girls. If I'm going to have to watch 2 and a half minutes of average spins and footwork, it's at least got to be interesting from a choreographic perspective.

Why did she take her hair band out at the end? Very unnecessary.

Because she's not-so-tiny already, she may have better luck with a longer career than some others, depending on how they grow. I'll be shocked if all of her girls will be able to maintain the longevity that Evgenia has.

God though. I really, really dislike watching a young girl win a competition but be so upset over one mistake. It's not fun. Daria's post-skate reaction compared to Rika's says it all. Competition and pressure is great, but you need to learn to shrug off your mistakes and smile if you want to survive, because otherwise the stress and unhappiness will crush you. That's what Evgenia has done. Her mistakes are rare, but when she makes them, she smiles.

Actually even Evgenia when she win with mistakes she gives the poker face but then in the press conference and interviews is all "not good enough for me, unacceptable for my standards"

andromache

Record Breaker
Actually even Evgenia when she win with mistakes she gives the poker face but then in the press conference and interviews is all "not good enough for me, unacceptable for my standards"

Acknowledging that you set high standards for yourself is one thing, but I do not see Evgenia look visibly upset at her mistakes. Being able to tough out your worst days without letting them get you too down is very important.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Only if she wants to retire. Forcing someone out at 15 before they can fully adjust and become a senior seems shortsided. There is no reason I can think of that a struggling and promising junior can't develop on the Senior B events and work their way up the rankings.

Fedichkina did Coupe de Nice and Tallinn Challenge last season, and won both, but at the JUNIOR level. The competition at these events, at least at the Junior level, is generally easier than the JGP events, and skaters don't get ISU points for B and Challenge Junior events.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I like the quality of her movement moreso than Tarakanova and Trusova. Less rushed, more purposeful (though she is slower than the other girls). But this LP was just not good. Eteri needs to hire another choreographer or two for these girls. If I'm going to have to watch 2 and a half minutes of average spins and footwork, it's at least got to be interesting from a choreographic perspective.

Why did she take her hair band out at the end? Very unnecessary.

Because she's not-so-tiny already, she may have better luck with a longer career than some others, depending on how they grow. I'll be shocked if all of her girls will be able to maintain the longevity that Evgenia has.

God though. I really, really dislike watching a young girl win a competition but be so upset over one mistake. It's not fun. Daria's post-skate reaction compared to Rika's says it all. Competition and pressure is great, but you need to learn to shrug off your mistakes and smile if you want to survive, because otherwise the stress and unhappiness will crush you. That's what Evgenia has done. Her mistakes are rare, but when she makes them, she smiles.
Evgenia is not in the same position as Daria. Evgenia is the star, she can afford a mistake here and there. Daria is a bit of an ugly duckling of the group. This was her chance to prove herself, to be taken more seriously within the group. She must feel like she blew it. It might not actually have dire consequences, but it must have seemed like that to her.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Who selected the FS music for Daria? It is all wrong for a very young girl "who wants to be taken more seriously". I also didn't see why she needed such a disheveled look for both SP and FS.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Who selected the FS music for Daria? It is all wrong for a very young girl "who wants to be taken more seriously". I also didn't see why she needed such a disheveled look for both SP and FS.
Gleikhenhaus does all the programs. Why they chose this for Daria it a mystery. This program was already badly received last season but they insisted on keeping it.

corynna

On the Ice
I think there is so much presure on Eteri's girls right now. I like Daria, but that FS music was too big for her right now. I love this song but when I hear it I can only think of Lambiel's exhibition which was a piece of art. Daria's moves didn't seem to be connected to the music at all and the choreography seemed odd. Also didn't understand the ending at all. I think she can do better with more suitable programs. All in all it was a well deserved win.

Rika had the program of the day. She really has grown a lot from last year and I like both her programs. Too bad for the mistakes in the SP.

Emmy Ma was a great surprise, I have never seen her until now and I really enjoyed her programs. She needs to add at least one 3-3 combination, but she seems the most promising of all US juniors.

luckyguy

Match Penalty
I think there is so much presure on Eteri's girls right now. I like Daria, but that FS music was too big for her right now. I love this song but when I hear it I can only think of Lambiel's exhibition which was a piece of art. Daria's moves didn't seem to be connected to the music at all and the choreography seemed odd. Also didn't understand the ending at all. I think she can do better with more suitable programs. All in all it was a well deserved win.

Rika had the program of the day. She really has grown a lot from last year and I like both her programs. Too bad for the mistakes in the SP.

Emmy Ma was a great surprise, I have never seen her until now and I really enjoyed her programs. She needs to add at least one 3-3 combination, but she seems the most promising of all US juniors.

She showed without mistakes what she can, and it was enough today. But IMO all American girls we've seen so far (Nguyen, Cui, Starr, Huang and Lin) have more potential.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I think there is so much presure on Eteri's girls right now.
This is the dark side of the great competitive spirit people keep admiring. Daria doesn't care that she won over all the girls in this competition, including Rika Kihira, she only cares that she lost to other girls in Eteri's group. People have been talking about her being the least interesting of Eteri's girls, do you think she is not aware of that? They don't tiptoe around things in Eteri's group. And now she has gone and proven it as far as she is concerned. You also have to remember that she is older that all the junior stars of this season and obviously not immune to puberty, even if it affects her head more than her jump technique.

andromache

Record Breaker
This is the dark side of the great competitive spirit people keep admiring. Daria doesn't care that she won over all the girls in this competition, including Rika Kihira, she only cares that she lost to other girls in Eteri's group. People have been talking about her being the least interesting of Eteri's girls, do you think she is not aware of that? They don't tiptoe around things in Eteri's group. And now she has gone and proven it as far as she is concerned. You also have to remember that she is older that all the junior stars of this season and obviously not immune to puberty, even if it affects her head more than her jump technique.

Someone should write her a letter (not me, zero Russian ability) and tell her that instead of worrying about her age, she should be lording it over the over girls, scaring them about puberty. She's obviously going through it, and all things considered, it's wonderful she's made it to a JGP win against tiny little waifs. She might not be a child prodigy, but that could be better for her in the long run. I can't help but root for underdogs, and even though she won here, it seems like she's an underdog in her own group, so now I'm a fan.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Feel sad for Panenkova but her FS skating does nothing for me. Rika was also less fabulous than during SP. Both Trusova and Tarakanova have much stronger free programs. All in all disappointing event.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Is it time for Fedechkina to retire?

Yes, a 15-year-old should definitely give up something she loves & has spent most of her life doing just because she missed the bronze at a freaking junior grand prix by .64. :rolleye: Did you forget that she was clean in the SP and 2nd to Daria by just a little over 3 points (arguably underscored in PCS)? She did not embarrass herself or fall all over the place here but even if she did, so what? Every skater goes through ups and downs in their career. Almost every one of them has to deal with puberty or growth spurts. Maybe your character is so weak that you would consider it a sign to give up after coming in 4th at a junior competition, but the mentality of all of the Russian girls is a lot tougher than that. I mean, I guess Nugumanova, Gubanova, Samodurova, and every other girl not coached by Eteri should all just give up now too. Don't you see how ridiculous it is? All of the older Russian girls not named Evgenia have had to weather difficult periods and they are still going, except for the ones who quit due to health reasons. I think that is par for the course for any real athlete who is used to overcoming obstacles and not just in the sport to collect medals.

Funny how mediocre girls from all other countries would get applause for the same or worse performances and nobody would think of telling them to quit. Yeah, yeah, the Russian competition is fiercer, etc. But it wouldn't stay that way if they all just gave up because they hit puberty.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Yes, this. IMO there's something seriously wrong with a system that causes this kind of upheaval over this. I hope this doesn't spark a debate (apologies in advance if so) but these young Russian girls win, yes, but at what cost? They flame bright for a year or two and then disappear. I just can't get behind that. There's not a single girl in here who doesn't have heaps of potential, and you know what, sometimes it takes longer for a person to develop than a single season. I admire drive--it's obviously pretty necessary--but it's only skating. It really is only skating, and I hate to see these girls destroy themselves emotionally for this. There's so much more to their lives than this.

It's incredible what they do at this age, but personally, I'd rather see skaters who have long and happy careers (hopefully successful ones too, of course), but never mind me--I am quite sure the skaters would rather have long and successful careers surrounded by people and a system who doesn't toss them aside when they place 4th instead of 3rd or fall on a jump.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She is probably disappointed she did not skate a clean program. All of Eteri's students are super driven and probably used to doing clean programs day in and day out.

Yessss... but that's a huge amount of disappointment considering the overall results.

Because Eteri girls are suppose to apparently be perfect. Or at least that's what I'm sensing this year. Last year they were more relaxed mistakes. I think Eteri's standards are higher this year.

Yeah, I think you're right. The pressure has got to be ridiculous... but since I already ranted about that above I'll not get on my soapbox again. ;)

it's her first not clean skate in 2 years.

she hasn't made a mistake in 17 competitions or so (as far as i heard)... thats why...

Ah, that makes more sense.

kalee

On the Ice
She did not embarrass herself or fall all over the place here but even if she did, so what? Every skater goes through ups and downs in their career. Almost every one of them has to deal with puberty or growth spurts.

Word. Alisa actually was not all that bad in her FP, and in terms of overall packaging she is starting to look and skate like a senior. The 2 popped triples proved costly though, and her program looked empty compared to those of Eteri's girls -- the lack of transitions might have sold her a little short here.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't really like all the talk about Dasha's position in Eteri's group. She looked so timid in the KnC and seemed like she was trying to hide. I'm sure she is aware of the whispers and I hope it stops or she finds a coach who will make her a top priority. Every comment about her that diminishes her is only adding to that frown. She should be proud of her accomplishment and enjoy the success.

My heart is now fully behind her!