2017 JGP Latvia Ladies FS | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2017 JGP Latvia Ladies FS

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yeah, Daria really does look she's going to be executed on the spot. I'm puzzled--she's won, so her second assignment is guaranteed, she's almost a lock for the final... her skate wasn't even a complete disaster... so what's up?

She is probably disappointed she did not skate a clean program. All of Eteri's students are super driven and probably used to doing clean programs day in and day out.

frida80

Record Breaker
Yeah, Daria really does look she's going to be executed on the spot. I'm puzzled--she's won, so her second assignment is guaranteed, she's almost a lock for the final... her skate wasn't even a complete disaster... so what's up?

Because Eteri girls are suppose to apparently be perfect. Or at least that's what I'm sensing this year. Last year they were more relaxed mistakes. I think Eteri's standards are higher this year.

tjb

Match Penalty

it's her first not clean skate in 2 years.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Yes, she is my favorite as far as the whole package goes. But Tarakanova won me over with her intensity and her fearlessness. Something is missing with Panenkova...and then the programs are just not good.

Yeah that's why i don't like that much when a choreographer is doing too many programs (same goes to Jeffrey, Lori and David): there are more inspired works and then there is always the one which looks unfinished and bad: since in the Eteri team they don't like using warhorse pieces that much we have this instead...

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Happy for Rika even though she fell on the 3A - one day it will come and that combo also. I am also quite impressed with the development of her performance side, much more mature than last year! Very pleased that she is still in contention for those GPF spots!!

Both Russian girls had some issues with choreo. Fedichkina looked like she forgot what she was supposed to do somewhere in the latter part and had no proper exits from jumps for awhile. But this was the first Lalaland cut that I actually liked - it did not make her look like she was skating slowmo as most others who have chosen the uptempo bits of the OST. Panenkova took on a piece of music she is far, far, far too young to do and the choreo did not help her, particularly in the first part when she looked like the 14-year-old she is having a fight about a phone with her mom and not a person fighting to keep their relationship together. It was hilarious in a very, very bad way. I also think that Trusova and Taranakova look much better at this stage.

Emmy Ma was a nice new face to see - her performance skills are obviously very good, but she maybe should tone down a bit because I felt she was overdoing it most of the time. Also, she drops the character completely to prepare for jumps and then goes back in right after and the difference is way too big to look very good (at least on camera, might work better live). Overall liked her a lot, though.

E

russianfan

Match Penalty
she hasn't made a mistake in 17 competitions or so (as far as i heard)... thats why...

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Because Eteri girls are suppose to apparently be perfect. Or at least that's what I'm sensing this year. Last year they were more relaxed mistakes. I think Eteri's standards are higher this year.

Well, I don't know how true it is that Daria is sort of the black sheep of the group already (hard to distinguish between truth and rumor from some wild imaginations), but maybe she knows that this will lower her stock even more with Eteri. I'm thinking of Abby Lee's "pyramid" on Dance Moms all of a sudden...

Kittosuni

Medalist
The problem with Panenkova is that if she hits the program looks good but if she faulters one bit everything looks blah. Really nothing in between. No one is denying that she is technically good but she has zero presence. Yes you can give her high score in SS, TR & CO but in PE & IN 6.5 should be the max.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
The type of programs coming out of Eteri's school are becoming more and more ridiculous with the random, sporadic, spastic choreography replacing any actual musical interpretation and the unbalanced construction with nothing happening but jumps going on for two minutes. This is really a showcase for all that's wrong with IJS scoring as it exists.

The problem with Panenkova is that if she hits the program looks good but if she faulters one bit everything looks blah. Really nothing in between. No one is denying that she is technically good but she has zero presence. Yes you can give her high score in SS, TR & CO but in PE & IN 6.5 should be the max.

I would definitely also mark her down for CO since composition is a part of that mark.

ssffww

On the Ice
man, she doesn't even have 3-3.. but i agree she did pretty good from what she has

Emmy's 3L/2T scored 8.30. Alisa's underrotated 3F/3T scored 7.73. So basically, Alisa didn't have a triple-triple today either. I have been a fan of Alisa F since I first saw her skate and was rooting for her to come through today, but it didn't happen. This event is the first time I've seen Emmy skate and I like her. She will need to get that triple-triple down solid to compete with the best.

nipman

On the Ice
I think that Emmy is really lucky because she skated last. If she had skated before Alisa, the Russian girl would have played it safe and stayed on the podium.

frida80

Record Breaker
I noticed something important this competition with Team USA. Both Emmy and Ashley did better than Starr and Kaitlyn even though Starr and Kaitlyn had received higher scores domestically at the senior level.

What both Emmy and Ashley had in common was that they both had competed with their junior versions of their programs prior to competing on the JGP. Taking out 30 seconds of content and rearranging the jumps can be tricky, so it makes sense that skaters would make more mistakes than if they already had their program broken in. I think that for all skates intended for the JGP, they should have competed with their FS at least twice so they can avoid costly mistakes at the JGP.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
So I guess no second assignment for Fedichkina then?

More than likely not, especially given others yet to skate who still have no second assignment. Guliakova (2nd, Brisbane), Panenkova (1st, here in Riga) and Kostornaia (listed for Poland now) all only have the 1 so far.