2017 JGP Latvia Ladies FS | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2017 JGP Latvia Ladies FS

Lipea

Final Flight
Evgenia is not in the same position as Daria. Evgenia is the star, she can afford a mistake here and there. Daria is a bit of an ugly duckling of the group. This was her chance to prove herself, to be taken more seriously within the group. She must feel like she blew it. It might not actually have dire consequences, but it must have seemed like that to her.
It will be fine, Dasha was 100% clean in like eight or more competitions last season, and now she is older - it is easier to compete when you are 13 than you are 14. She also got sick a week before and had to miss several days of training. Even with two mistakes she won an easy gold - that's impressive. She will do better next time, that program is actually very good.

Lipea

Final Flight
I like the quality of her movement moreso than Tarakanova and Trusova. Less rushed, more purposeful (though she is slower than the other girls). But this LP was just not good. Eteri needs to hire another choreographer or two for these girls. If I'm going to have to watch 2 and a half minutes of average spins and footwork, it's at least got to be interesting from a choreographic perspective.

Why did she take her hair band out at the end? Very unnecessary.

Because she's not-so-tiny already, she may have better luck with a longer career than some others, depending on how they grow. I'll be shocked if all of her girls will be able to maintain the longevity that Evgenia has.
1. No need to make such a firm judgments about the program after seeing it once in a not a good performance. If you are curious to see, watch any of Dasha's performances of it at the second half of the last season. She got too nervous here for both her SP and LP. The hair band is a part of the plot of the program. Eteri always gives her girls a plot, and clearly, it helps them to perform and understand their program
2. Why do you expect that 13-14y.o. junior girls must have top-choreography programs? It is normal and always has been so, juniors need to skate well and clean and learn from the difficult programs in order to grow rather than push their best sides for our enjoyment. Eteri and her group have three great seniors whom they are preparing for OG, - of course the best programs went to them.

"Eteri needs to hire another choreographer or two for these girls."
You really think you are informed enough to make such statements? I am pretty sure she knows what she is doing. :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Daria is better than that program, which does nothing for her because she is much too young to perform it properly. That she was given such a program says Eteri's camp isn't making things easy for her.

Lipea

Final Flight
I think Daria is better than that program, which does nothing for her because she is much too young to perform it properly. That she was given such a program says Eteri's camp isn't making things easy for her.
It is her old program (which is a wise move from Eteri, for Dasha to have something polished for her first jgp season) and she performed it marvelously last season:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhqaidJndT0

luckyguy

Match Penalty
When we talk about Tutberidze's group. Is (or was) there any female skater in the group -with the exception of Medvedeva- who has "survived" her 16th birthday?

markovai

Rinkside
:agree::agree: agree 100% one of my favourite performances from junior ladies Teodora MARKOVA from Bulgaria :luv17:

Thank you, it is my favorite performance, too. Teodora switched 2 months ago to ice dance, she is now training in Montreal (and also studying neuroscience at McGill University), along with the best ice dancers in the world, so hopefully we will see more beautiful performances from her in the years to come.

frida80

Record Breaker
When we talk about Tutberidze's group. Is (or was) there any female skater in the group -with the exception of Medvedeva- who has "survived" her 16th birthday?

You already know the answer to that. For all the raving we do about Russian girls, lately it feels like most of them have only one or two years before they lose their spark. I'm so upset over Gubanova that it will be a while before I get interested in another Russian junior.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Thank you, it is my favorite performance, too. Teodora switched 2 months ago to ice dance, she is now training in Montreal (and also studying neuroscience at McGill University), along with the best ice dancers in the world, so hopefully we will see more beautiful performances from her in the years to come.

thanks for the update, i agree hopefully we will see more from her and wow neuroscience? you go girl!!

Lana05

Final Flight
When we are talking abpot Mie Hamada or in general for team Japan group how much girls survived after puberty? It is the same about most country, include US - really where is Gracy and other prodigies(there are were many girls on JGP series)? Only Ashly has won big medal who was always fighting but never were called a prodigy. In orhers there are just no so big field like in Russia, so they can get their spots pretty easy

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
You already know the answer to that. For all the raving we do about Russian girls, lately it feels like most of them have only one or two years before they lose their spark. I'm so upset over Gubanova that it will be a while before I get interested in another Russian junior.

What about Japanese girls? There are lots of them but those who are getting close to 20 are not much better than grandma Leonova. Let's stop singling out the Russian girls. It's being the time of the transition to a new level. Yonger girls are trained differently and they are better positioned for that. Once again, if only one of 3 prodigies make it through puberty it will be a big accomplishment.

ejnsofi

Final Flight

It isn't only the Russian girls problem. In every fed out of many promising juniors only 1 or 2 are successful seniors. For example Kanako Murakami was a golden Japanese junior but she faded somewhere in senior. The same about Gracie Gold. Also remember that Russian ladies' field is extremely competitive and even winners of international events don't make it into top team so we don't see them very often later.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

With all due respect, but this repeated "meh meh only little waifus means nothing what they can do at 13 they'll all be gone and burnt out by puberty" starts to sound like nothing but sour grapes about the general success the Russian girls and specifically Eteris group has. If they make it through puberty or not is irrelevant to how impressive it is what these girls can do now. Eteri and her team are also still really young and she has majorly taken on younger girls - how about we give her some more time to see how things look like when a big number of her girls have reached 16 to begin with? No? How many girls did she "lose" anyway - Yulia, and then? I'm not seeing all that much proof for these "they burn out after 1 or 2 years" stuff. Evgenia might as well not be the exception, we just can't say yet. But if you're putting your hopes on all of Trusova, Tarakanova, Shcherbakova, Panenkova, Kostornaya, Zagitova and Tsurskaya to be nowhere in the next years.... prepare to be disappointed. (and that's not going into the other girls Eteri has that aren't even age eligible for Juniors yet, or the talented Russian girls that aren't with Eteri).

And what's there to be so upset about over Gubanova? She had trouble at her JGP, which is a shame, but she skated 2 clean programs just the event before that. If you're willing to write her of after just that you might want to re-think you're fan standards and not the abilities of these girls.

hanca

Record Breaker

It is not only Russian junior ladies that lose spark after a few seasons. Nagasu, Zhang, Edmunds...

luckyguy

Match Penalty
With all due respect, but this repeated "meh meh only little waifus means nothing what they can do at 13 they'll all be gone and burnt out by puberty" starts to sound like nothing but sour grapes about the general success the Russian girls and specifically Eteris group has. If they make it through puberty or not is irrelevant to how impressive it is what these girls can do now. Eteri and her team are also still really young and she has majorly taken on younger girls - how about we give her some more time to see how things look like when a big number of her girls have reached 16 to begin with? No? How many girls did she "lose" anyway - Yulia, and then? I'm not seeing all that much proof for these "they burn out after 1 or 2 years" stuff. Evgenia might as well not be the exception, we just can't say yet. But if you're putting your hopes on all of Trusova, Tarakanova, Shcherbakova, Panenkova, Kostornaya, Zagitova and Tsurskaya to be nowhere in the next years.... prepare to be disappointed. (and that's not going into the other girls Eteri has that aren't even age eligible for Juniors yet, or the talented Russian girls that aren't with Eteri).

And what's there to be so upset about over Gubanova? She had trouble at her JGP, which is a shame, but she skated 2 clean programs just the event before that. If you're willing to write her of after just that you might want to re-think you're fan standards and not the abilities of these girls.

You are not fair. I do not criticize Russia or Tutberidze. There are many other examples in America (Naomi Nari Nam, Ann-Patrice McDonough, Caroline Zhang), Japan (Yukina Ota and others), Canada (Mira Leung), China (Geng Bingwa) and some girls from South Korea. But I think it is worth to think about Kaetlyn Osmond who was nobody at the age of 13.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
You are not fair. I do not criticize Russia or Tutberidze. There are many other examples in America (Naomi Nari Nam, Ann-Patrice McDonough, Caroline Zhang), Japan (Yukina Ota and others), Canada (Mira Leung), China (Geng Bingwa) and some girls from South Korea. But I think it is worth to think about Kaetlyn Osmond who was nobody at the age of 13.

I have no idea what this is supposed to tell me :scratch2:

tjb

Match Penalty

kaetlyn is a wonderful skater, but at the age of 21 she still never skated 2 clean programs, so she's not the best example of those who thrive after the puberty

I have no idea what this is supposed to tell me :scratch2:

i guess he's trying to tell that success in juniors means nothing. people really keeping their hopes high for this generation of russian girls to disappear

markovai

Rinkside
I think Daria is a great skater, with excellent jumps and technique, the fact that she fell once doesn't mean at all she is not consistent. She has to be proud of her win. IMHO, while Eteri is well ahead of everybody else with the jumps, with the choreography her group is already behind. No surprise - with so many talented skaters and with so much attention paid to achieve 100% consistence with the difficult jumps, apparently they don't spend enough time trying to really create the right choreography for each young individual skater (of course I am not talking about Evgeniya and the other Eteri's top seniors) . Daria's free skating program is a good example of this, IMHO. The girl does not express the music almost at all (she would look the same way on another music, too, i.e. the music doesn't make a difference), at the age of 14 apparently she is not able/ready to interpret one of the best love songs ever. The choreography is strange and I personally dislike it - for example, this jump with bent knees in the middle of the footwork, that comes from nowhere, or the final 2 seconds when she wipes her nose with her arm (sorry, this is at least how I see and understand it) and then unties her pony tail? The program is from last year, so it looks like they didn't have time to put a new program for this girl who deserves more attention, especially because she already survived well the growth and puberty pains, so she has pretty good chances to stay in this sport and leave something significant in it in the future.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Yeah soon we'll have an all Eteri team:sad21:
My poor SPb gals:sad4:
Gonna hope at least Sofa can podium...

Congrats Rika tho