2017 CS Finlandia Ladies FS | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2017 CS Finlandia Ladies FS

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Carolina! :love: :love: :love:

This is the best Ladies program I've seen in so many years. The creativity, the music interpretation, and the performance with Carolina's skating skills and artistry make for a captivating program from the start. I was taken and concerned with the early fails in her jumps but she continued the performance of the program through out. I could feel the music with her and was awed by the beauty of Carolina and her skating.

Looking forward to technically improved performance of this program.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Compare the PCS of Kostner and Dabin Choi (who had a beautiful skate here that impressed a lot of people).

I'm sorry but this imbalance is complete nonsense. People can split hairs about Kostner and Sotskova. But Kostner deserves 21+ more in PCS than Dabin?

I know it's not her fault, but I can't help but actively root against her now. She did not deserve to be even in the contention for Top 3 here after missing her combo in the SP (without a huge FS anyway).

I gave up worrying about her scores years ago when I saw her out score one of Julia's perfectly executed spins with a clunky hair cutter. The girls all love her so I'm just chill about it. Whatevah :cool2:

madison

Record Breaker
:eek:topic:
That's exactly what i meant. He has made pretty interesting programs almost for all strongest russian junior ladies, as well as he is now the choreographer for both Alina's programs and Zhenya's FS. That's quite a success for him i think.

Yes, it is... and he's really young and at the beginning... very successful, I'd say.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Maria Sotskova, what an improvement! I already saw it at the test skates writing "Both Sotskova and her skating is a treat for eyes. If only she could fix the jumps".

She fixed them and it was very impressive overall. Her score margin over everyone else here could be even bigger. Anyway, congratulations with the PB. Of course, there will be GP series and we have not seen Anna yet. But Masha has made a good case to be in the team. So far she looks much stronger than Liza and Lena.

madison

Record Breaker
Maria Sotskova, what an improvement! I already saw it at the test skates writing "Both Sotskova and her skating is a treat for eyes. If only she could fix the jumps".

She fixed them and it was very impressive overall. Her score margin over everyone else here could be even bigger. Anyway, congratulations with the PB. Of course, there will be GP series and we have not seen Anna yet. But Masha has made a good case to be in the team. So far she looks much stronger than Liza and Lena.
And also we didn't see Polina T. I'm curious how she's doing...

moriel

Record Breaker
For real, did they actually gave Caro 126 points for a 4 triples program?
I know its not her fault, but i wish she didnt come back to participate in this bs.

msaidi

On the Ice
I know its not her fault, but i wish she didnt come back to participate in this bs.
they did.. and i would have done the same haha 😍😍 she is ART on ice (maybe im not objectif)...
(ok maybe 126 is a bit to much with only 4 triples )

moriel

Record Breaker
they did.. and i would have done the same haha 😍😍 she is ART on ice (maybe im not objectif)...
(ok maybe 126 is a bit to much with only 4 triples )

Well, honestly, I disagree about art. Her programs were good back 5 years ago. Now, unfortunately, they are outdated and rather empty (compare the amount of transitions she does with most top skaters today do, she does tons of crossovers and her jumps are super telegraphed - which gets extra lame when she bombs, because she does this preparation through all the ring and the woah lol). Across FS and SP, I would have given her at least 10 points less in PCs.

UPD: I agree she is ART on ice, but she is the sort of art that would be better in museum and exibitions for us to watch and admire, not in competitive skating, where judges go weird on scores because oh my gosh its HER and we cannot give her bad scores.

msaidi

On the Ice
Well, honestly, I disagree about art. Her programs were good back 5 years ago. Now, unfortunately, they are outdated and rather empty (compare the amount of transitions she does with most top skaters today do, she does tons of crossovers and her jumps are super telegraphed - which gets extra lame when she bombs, because she does this preparation through all the ring and the woah lol). Across FS and SP, I would have given her at least 10 points less in PCs.
as i said im not that objective because when i see her skating im just in love hehe and love cannot be explained :p and yes it is telegraphed but well even the way she "prepares" her jumps makes me fall in love so maybe (just a little?? :biggrin::biggrin:) my opinions are biaised when it's about caro 😍❤️

moriel

Record Breaker
as i said im not that objective because when i see her skating im just in love hehe and love cannot be explained :p and yes it is telegraphed but well even the way she "prepares" her jumps makes me fall in love so maybe (just a little?? :biggrin::biggrin:) my opinions are biaised when it's about caro 😍❤️

I mind it because it is unfair to other skaters.
I dont like when judges give away "emotional" points, which are not actually deserved by the skater. It is unfair to her, and to other skaters.
As someone pointed out, is the 20 points PCs gap between Caro and Dabin actually fair? Dabin's pcs are basically 2/3rds of Caro's PCs, does that REALLY and TRULY reflect the difference between those 2 skaters?

Imho, at some point art should be in a museum exibition, not in competitive skating.

artsciboy

On the Ice

Even worse - a 3 triple program. She couldn't hold the landing on the opening 3flip.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
It's one of those things you just have to accept. It cannot be changed, it's one of the rules of figure skating. Embrace it.
I'll stay true to the voice inside, thanks
Lol

Have never minded through the roof scores for Medvedeva for example, because she is excellent across the board and the most consistent skater in the world, by far.

Kostner's scores are egregiously and outrageously not good and not right. So, I'll keep complaining about it. :)

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Way to go Maria! Jackie Wong was saying how much her artistic impression has improved.

Caro will always be a lovely skater but the judges can only do so much. She is not going to be able to compete on the GP circuit with this technical arsenal.

Sad for Gabby but she never does well early in the season if I remember correctly and last year's bronze was a bit of a fluke. If Anna had not had the meltdown I'm pretty sure she would have been on the podium with Evgenia and Kaetlyn.

Happy to see Tuk get a medal and I'm shocked by Polina, Angela and Alena's placements.

Gosh I feel sorry for the Russian ladies. They could easily send about 6 women to the Olympics. Shame. Like Japan only having two spots.

GP season is going to be exciting. I expect Evgenia to win her events and GPF but after that I have no idea. Maybe a Russian sweep at the GPF? (the only thing I wish is that they wouldn't reward unbalanced, backloaded programs so much. It shows great skill and stamina but it tends to make the programs boring.)

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Lol

Have never minded through the roof scores for Medvedeva for example, because she is excellent across the board and the most consistent skater in the world, by far.

Kostner's scores are egregiously and outrageously not good and not right. So, I'll keep complaining about it. :)

Luckily for you, you will only have to suffer a mere 6 months more.....oh, Worlds are in Milan....I wonder.....:scratch3:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Lol

I think what she brings to the ice is so beautiful. Kostner is a gem. Like Mao. But I would agree that she has to improve her technical content. Or wait and see if they will do an artistic and technical program split. I can see her being very competitive if they do that.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Carolina! :love: :love: :love:

This is the best Ladies program I've seen in so many years. The creativity, the music interpretation, and the performance with Carolina's skating skills and artistry make for a captivating program from the start. I was taken and concerned with the early fails in her jumps but she continued the performance of the program through out. I could feel the music with her and was awed by the beauty of Carolina and her skating.

Looking forward to the technically improved performance of this program.

It is indeed one of the more challenging and difficult to interpret artistic pieces in many years, and require the supreme technical proficiency and interpretative abilities to sustain the languid, lazy, hazy, magic afternoon mood and not distract or break away from it. High reward high risk type of program, as such, fall and visible mistakes should be costly.

In my opinion, a perfect Kostner truly deserves those PCS, the problem is...uhh where do I even begin...:drama:

You look at how Yuna and sometimes Mao's PCS used to drop whenever they make mistakes that are much smaller than Kostner does here and in general, their PCS ALWAYS drop. Take Yuna's Homage to Korea for example WC2013, it dropped by 6 points for her 5 triples, a pop including 2x 3 lutz, and probably one of her most artistic program of all time. She merely received 66 PCS for it, at Vancouver, her Gershwin earned her 71.76 (oh how humble are these PCS marks by today's standard.)

With Kostner, everytime she makes major errors, her PCS actually don't move and sometimes even goes up. It is simply double standard inconsistent judging. It also set really bad example and precedence for the future and make the sport wholly uncompetitive.

I am torn about this score, however, consider how everyone's PCS and even GOEs are so inflated these days, she fully deserves the PCS gap to Maria and arguably more, but you can't reduce her without reducing everyone else. So here we are stuck. With a PCS standard that is clearly broken, and the only people happy about it are those who benefit from it and always use 'subjectivity' to justify everything, when objectively when things do not work, clearly did not go according to plan, they should always hurt PCS scores. Just what will it take for her to drop to 65 for example?