2017 GP Rostelecom Cup Ladies SP | Page 47 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Rostelecom Cup Ladies SP

zblc015

Rinkside
"This programme doesn't feel like a competitive routine that she's rushing to the end of, it feels like a proper piece that she is leading you through"
How do you know all of it ,if she skates the same program every year. the same layout,jumps etc..I judt dont get it, if some let me understand it ,not just bullying with being a hater.What is the meaning of "INT" in PCS score if half part of the program are just jumps? The piece that she is leading you through is firs part of the program? Because when she ends first half doing her STSEQ, i think "Oh theres only jumps left!"End of the program. As a piece it dosnt work

I don't know, maybe because even though all her jumps are in one half, she has more imaginative choreography that crossovers on the short sides into a jump? Maybe because it feels in her programme like her jumps are just 'there' rather than being the centrepiece that the whole programme is built around? Her elements are brilliant, but the programme is choreographed so that it is so much more than 7 individual elements strung together with crossovers and the occasional mohawk. Not a criticism, but 75% of skaters have exactly the same layout (jump, jump, spin, stsq, jump, spin, spin.) that they do year after year because it works for them so I feel that argument is entirely pointless unless you fancy pulling up most of the skating world, and if you can't spot differences between her programmes, you're probably not paying enough attention

mrrice

Record Breaker
My problem with Mirai's skate today, is that she didn't hold it together mentally. After she missed her first combo, she should have done a triple/double instead of going for a second 3/3 attempt. If she had doubled and landed her second combo, she might have made the final flight. Now, she's so far down in the standings that even a perfect LP won't get her on the podium in a field this deep. She took herself out of contention with this SP and I hope she learns a lesson from this.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I don't know, maybe because even though all her jumps are in one half, she has more imaginative choreography that crossovers on the short sides into a jump? Maybe because it feels in her programme like her jumps are just 'there' rather than being the centrepiece that the whole programme is built around? Her elements are brilliant, but the programme is choreographed so that it is so much more than 7 individual elements strung together with crossovers and the occasional mohawk. Not a criticism, but 75% of skaters have exactly the same layout (jump, jump, spin, stsq, jump, spin, spin.) that they do year after year because it works for them so I feel that argument is entirely pointless unless you fancy pulling up most of the skating world, and if you can't spot differences between her programmes, you're probably not paying enough attention
Well put. In her programs, what's interesting is what happens between the elements moreso than the elements themselves, which is very rare and special in today's skating.

SXTN

Final Flight
Carolina Witt disagrees!

They could be mother and child. Both are great artists and good at... Toeloops! 20 years ago with Katarina and now with Carolina you keep asking yourself the same question before every competition: Will she go for the Flip? :laugh:

I will continue to call her Katarina Kostner until she proves to me she deserves to be called Carolina. A flip combo and a lutz would help speeding up that process.

Tulipstar

Medalist
Thanks for good advice. I've sent it to my friends and one of them reminded me to buy flowers (I gonna see her live tomorrow:love:)

So jealous of you! Enjoy it:clap:
Yeah, I've already used Yuzuru and Evgenia to create new interest before. People who don't know much about skating like Elizaveta and Ashley a lot as well, at least amongst the people I know.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
And herein lies my problem. That in itself is horrible choreography. There have to be pauses and holds so you can appreciate the highlights. There is definitely a lot going on but whether that relates to the music or the mood of the program is a different story.
But this is not competition of interpretators. Its competition of skaters. The point is to show more of skating.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Kostner's lack of jump repertoire is why I'm not that sold on her having a strong FS even though she was surprisingly strong in the SP. She just needs to present such a variety that I don't think she has available. In the case of Radionova, I'm also pretty worried when it comes to the FS. She looked a little unstable.

I have a feeling that Wakaba Higuchi might be able to cling to the silver. As for Mirai Nagasu, this was a complete disaster but I hope that she at least has a bit more satisfying a free skate.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So jealous of you! Enjoy it:clap:
Yeah, I've already used Yuzuru and Evgenia to create new interest before. People who don't know much about skating like Elizaveta and Ashley a lot as well, at least amongst the people I know.

I like that. This sport could really use the love and I'm glad to see skaters who continue to inspire. It's a good sign for the future.

Grin

Medalist
Anyone know what Yulia said while commentating for Zhenya on TV? I already know what most of the posters here are going to say but what did Yulenka say :coffee:

https://youtu.be/Mr_Nq70H8_c

Thanks for the link.
Yulia was nice to Evgenia. I like the way she commented on Evgenia's SP.
Short version.
"Oh, we can guess who is on the ice by cheers from the crowd. So many Yuzu posters... Some Japanese fans brought Evgenia's posters as well".
During replays she commented on jumps and other elements and said that no one doubted that Evgenia will prevail. They also discussed "come back" phrase in the middle on the SP. Then Yulia wished Elena a good skate tomorrow

GGFan

Record Breaker
But this is not competition of interpretators. Its competition of skaters. The point is to show more of skating.

Why does this weak, straw man argument keep getting raised? I have never questioned Medvedeva's wins, consistency, competitiveness, etc. I was specifically talking about some of her scores in PCS categories. There is a category for interpretation and composition--I think it is perfectly within reason to critique the judges scores there. There are things she may never improve on because there is not incentive to when she's getting high 9s and 10s.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for the link.
Yulia was nice to Evgenia. I like the way she commented on Evgenia's SP.
Short version.
"Oh, we can guess who is on the ice by cheers from the crowd. So many Yuzu posters... Some Japanese fans brought Evgenia's posters as well".
During replays she commented on jumps and other elements and said that no one doubted that Evgenia will prevail. They also discussed "come back" phrase in the middle on the SP. Then Yulia wished Elena a good skate tomorrow

Geiger reported in her fan thread that the telesport broadcast skyrocketed to 3 million viewers likley due to her commentary :yes2:

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
They could be mother and child. Both are great artists and good at... Toeloops! 20 years ago with Katarina and now with Carolina you keep asking yourself the same question before every competition: Will she go for the Flip? :laugh:

I will continue to call her Katarina Kostner until she proves to me she deserves to be called Carolina. A flip combo and a lutz would help speeding up that process.

Let it put me this way: For the right to be called Katarina Caro needs one more EGM, two more OGMs and three more WGMs. :cool14:

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Well, I think that hers are better than Kostner's. Kostner's program was very simple in comparison to hers. With such a simple program, it's easier to have good basics.

Kostner could never skate Medvedeva's program.

Of course Carolina cannot skate to Medvedeva's "music" that consists of heartbeats, breathing, "OH MY GOD", camera shutter, "come in" etc. It's too "complex" for a skater who is a 5-time European Champion, World Champion and Olympic Bronze Medalist.

And I wasn't even saying anything about the program in the post you quoted me, I was talking about the skating skills score. Evgenia has more transition which is true, but that means she holds her edges relatively shorter than Carolina because she needs to replace those with turns. I don't see how Carolina's smooth, clean and well executed edges should get a lower score than Evgenia complex turns.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Why does this weak, straw man's argument keep getting raised? I have never questioned Medvedeva's wins, consistency, competitiveness, etc. I was specifically talking about some of her scores in PCS categories. There is a category for interpretation and composition--I think it is perfectly within reason to critique the judges scores there. There are things she may never improve on because there is not incentive to when she's getting high 9s and 10s.
Might be within reason but I still think that she's excellent at interpreting the music... And deserves very high scores in that category. So do many others as do the judges. That's the biggest issue here, I feel. Interpreting the music has been Medvedeva's strength since I can remember, even back when she was in juniors.

Tulipstar

Medalist
I like that. This sport could really use the love and I'm glad to see skaters who continue to inspire. It's a good sign for the future.

Some only like really special skates (they wouldn't sit through a whole competition...yet).

But they do get more interested in the sport. I have several relatives and friends now who are planning to watch the Olympics because of my spamming them, heheh.

The programs that resonated most are:
Yuzuru's world record at 2017
Evgenia's WTT FP (they are surprised at them having campy fun at the end instead of being boring and unsmiling, as seems to be the prejudice about the sport).
Ashley's Hip Hip, Chin Chin, or anything where she's being her sassy self
Elizaveta's 2015 Worlds SP
Jason Brown's Riverdance
Julia (no need to mention which program I think ;))

And Spiderman Boyang and Laurine's Grease (for the costume change) were received positively as well.

Once they know those names, they get interested and now often want to know if Yuzuru has another world record etc:laugh:
Not saying that all of them will turn into FS fans, but at least there's some interest now.

PS
I think I will introduce Kaetlyn next. Wish me luck :cool:

pearly

Record Breaker
I re-watched Mirai's SP and it looked like she was about to set up for the 3A (that's what I thought watching it live), changes her mind (even lowers her arms rather casually) then re-sets up again before going into the jump. I wonder if she somehow had a brain freeze and forgot her choreo at that precise moment? In any event, she seemed off from the start.

That's what I thought too, but no. I compared it to her SP at US Classic and it's the same.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Might be within reason but I still think that she's excellent at interpreting the music... And deserves very high scores in that category. So do many others as do the judges. That's the biggest issue here, I feel. Interpreting the music has been Medvedeva's strength since I can remember, even back when she was in juniors.

I have no idea why her fans would try to convince me of something that I clearly do not see, and I've been watching figure skating for several decades. I have praised her strong qualities, but I'm an analytic person and I'm not going to be persuaded of something that's not there. I'll praise Michelle Kwan to the high heavens but I would never try to argue that she was a Midori Ito type jumper. Stay in your lane. Medvedeva is no Carolina when it comes to interpretation. Let's leave it at that.

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
On second viewing: Kudos to Valeriia Mikhailova. This is a very energetic music and not every skater could have done it justice. She did! :clap: