2017 GP Rostelecom Cup Free Dance | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Rostelecom Cup Free Dance

keasus

On the Ice
How on EARTH can that be BETTER than gilles/poirier? Oh wait - it's the RUSSIAN Grand Prix, of course!

That is a travesty. I am disgusted.

RSF is setting them up for post-Olympic quad if/when B/S retire. I find this couple's skating cringe-worthy on so many levels. Doesn't Russia have a better ice dance team in the wings to promote?

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
And by the by I really respect the Russians for caring about the team Gold. Doesn't seem like some of the contenders really value it.

Of course I want Canada to win but if the Russians or Americans or whoever outskate us they deserve to win.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think the only free skates we haven't seen yet are Chock & Bates and Cappellini & Lanotte.

With that being said... this has been such a disappointing year of free dances. The French are the least terrible, but I wouldn't say it's very good either. Virtue & Moir's is unwatchable, Hubbell & Donohue are a snoozy wet dream, and WeaPo's programs are reminiscent of something that Linichuk would choreograph (super dated). The Shibs are just as forgettable as last year.

And with that free dance over along with the men's competition... we can see the push for the Team Gold by Russia has begun. :dev2:

I don't necessarily agree with your assessments, but they were well and colorfully spoken!

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Well, the spin really did a number on B/S's score. They'd probably win over the Shibs without that one - also, the only team to get a lvl4 on the steps today.

Probably best for the forum that they did screw it up. I don't think the board could have taken it. :drama:

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Stepanova and Bukin got higher scores on twizzles than Shibs.

How it is..

It wasn't the perfection of perfection (even though it was really good) on the Shibs' twizzles today, but S/B's Twizzle were excellent, and in CoR you'd expect that I think.

slider11

Medalist
I can live with the placements. But Gilles and Poirier deserved better than 102 and S/B did not earn a 108. The technical marks were heavily favored with Russian skaters. S/B's first twizzle was a spin yet received the high technical marks. I get it that some judges will not like the American bluesy theme put forth by Piper and Paul. But they were technically very strong and quite innovative. Home ice advantage should not be that strong.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Well, it's difficult to argue with the Shibs's win and I like them again.
Dima & Katia were absolutely great, I think they'll push themselves to give it everything they've got this season and I wish them my very, very best.

'm probably not expert enough to actually comment on any judge's opinion, but I know home nations are getting favoured in GPs. Fair play to Alexandra/Ivan, but I would have loved to see Piper & Paul on the podium, they would have equally deserved that.

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
She said a word I am not sure I can translate to English... something like depth, insight, penetration [I mean we are talking about karaoke Lizst here], I am not sure of the correct translation and how this is a program they can be proud of and go and win stuff with. All this with the usual amount of exaltation and superlatives, of course :D

Amazing. :laugh: Thank you

I missed S/B's twizzles, because I was multitasking and trying to put them on mute. Lovely team, so much potential with better packaging. But were their twizzles really better than the Shibs? How are S/S not +3 every time? And were B/S sloppy twizzles almost as good as the Shibs? I know, I know, home scoring - they are lucky to have won Gold. I prepared myself for silver. And I actually want to like both the Russian teams here.

However, I'm not as thrilled with Paradise as some here either - yet. Great first outing to hit levels, except the Step Seq's. Room to grow on me.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
It seems GOE and components are where G/P are lagging behind. Their base value is the same as the top three teams.

andromache

Record Breaker
Surprised to see so much Shibs skepticism here. I've stopped loving them ever since they became US #1, because I'm a masochist who only sees the best in underdogs, but their FD really wowed me.

whatif

Medalist
Medeveda and now Stepanova are popularising classical music Kardashian-style. I say, why not!!!!! You, elders, should appreciate that.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
She said a word I am not sure I can translate to English... something like depth, insight, penetration [I mean we are talking about karaoke Lizst here], I am not sure of the correct translation and how this is a program they can be proud of and go and win stuff with. All this with the usual amount of exaltation and superlatives, of course :D

Both she and they are deep in something...but it ain't insight or penetration.

But I bet it would steam on a cold day. :)