2017 GP Skate Canada Ladies SP | Page 71 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate Canada Ladies SP

jan

On the Ice
You are joking right? They aren't even in the same league.

Well, it's Canada...

But seriously the overscoring of Canadians here and in dance is laughable. Here, not only are Canadians overscored but skaters from other countries very underscored. Anna and Katelyn should have around the same PCS score.

KyngRafael

Rinkside
Just got the chance to watch— Really pleased for Anna keeping it together. I loved the program and she showed she is capable of so much. I was so scared for her opening combo, but she pulled it off. I think Anna should be a little closer to Kaetlyn in scoring. Although I adore Kaetlyn’s program and strong jumps, the lutz is on the wrong edge. Maria was also impressive minus the axel. Karen Chen fought for everything and had the strongest spins. Disappointed in Ashley. The judges are going to stop buying into her soon if she doesn’t get her jumps around/ obtain the spin levels. Happy for Courtney. She had a great skate and I love her long running edges out of her solo jumps. So devastated and shocked for Marin. Her program was gorgeous. It seems the jumps just weren’t there for her today.

sowcow

On the Ice
They didn't call Canada a country of cheaters as basically Carol Lane implied.

By the way i wonder what she is thinking about what judge no.6: fair judging or "well it's Canada"? i'm looking forward to all her tweets about it.

Well... there is this.... https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/27/sports/olympics/russia-doping.html

And to reiterate... Medvedeva fell and got a 10 (even when the ISU very sweetly requested that not to happen).

Osmond went absolutely clean, on home ice, and didn't even clear 90% (36+) PCS.

I don't see what this article has anything to do with unfair judging ... let's stay on topic please ...

Well Eclair, you're right. It doesn't have anything to do with unfair judging. That's because the article was in response to the thinly veiled insult that 'Canadians are CHEATERS' as implied by Tolstoj in his/her comments. So, CanadianSkaterGuy was using the NYT article as a reminder of just which country was the culprit in the biggest & most widespread CHEATING scandal in sports history...

So, in that context, it was very much on topic!!

Do try and keep up please dear... :drama:

slider11

Medalist
I'm worried for Ashley that these recycled programs are not working. That was a really tame hip=hip=chin=chin...and that happens when it gets stale.

GGFan

Record Breaker
I'm worried for Ashley that these recycled programs are not working. That was a really tame hip=hip=chin=chin...and that happens when it gets stale.

Ashley had her Jeffrey Buttle moment in 2016 but didn't exit the stage. I definitely think she'll improve as the season goes on but this is a labored start to the Olympic season. Crossing my fingers . . .

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Anyway who thought Courtney would have been the first american after the SP here beating the US champion and the former champion?

I hope this is turning into something good for her going into nationals, just to remind that she's still out there and possibly a contender for a spot at the Olympics.

Well Eclair, you're right. It doesn't have anything to do with unfair judging. That's because the article was in response to the thinly veiled insult that 'Canadians are CHEATERS' as implied by Tolstoj in his/her comments. So, CanadianSkaterGuy was using the NYT article as a reminder of just which country was the culprit in the biggest & most widespread CHEATING scandal in sports history...

So, in that context, it was very much on topic!!

Do try and keep up please dear... :drama:

Where is the insult on my comment? I do not enjoy this hobby of exploiting posts from some user here, read carefully next time thank you. :)

Actually i find much more offensive this part of your passive aggressive post
"which country was the culprit in the biggest & most widespread CHEATING scandal in sports history..."
and also i'm not even sure if this is accurate, knowing the history of cheated events hosted by other countries.

I'd like to ask you to elaborate that, but we would digress even more.

kresslia

Medalist
Wonderful top 3 after the disastrous rest of the event. So glad for Anna. Kaetlyn was the class of the field.

Browsing this thread I see claims of overscoring for Alaine and Larkyn, skaters in second last and last. Yes, they did terribly. Their scores are in the 40's. What more do you want? How desperate do you have to be to claim "overscoring"? It's almost cruel to come down on skaters who did that poorly like this.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Just rewatched Marin's SP. Gosh... everything apart from the jumps are simply lovely. She never let the performance go, all things considered it is still a good interpretative performance. Exquisite, mersmerising, captivating, gorgeous moments in how she carry each of these choreographic moments off with the music phrasing with ease. Effortless glide, flow, let the music breathe despite its delicacy, true to the music. Rarely I'd use to describe a 16 years old. She even kind of remind me of a young ethereal Yuna (minus the jumps).

All the things considered how the hell did she get 5.75 in skating skills, 6 in performance, and 6.25 in compositions and interpretation of the music. My mind is blown...

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
All right, my unsolicited commentary:

1. Wow. Lots of shockers there. What was up with that ice? Frozen nerves instead of frozen water?
2. Fashion... Masha and Karen, please get new dresses for your SPs. Please. Ashley's dress looks like a practice outfit, it's so plain. And Anya's dress just doesn't work for her, though it's gorgeous. Am I the only one that thinks that Marin's SP dress looks likes Rika's?? Alaine's and Kaetlyn's dresses were the best of the night for me.
3. Spins... they need work. Now. Pogorilaya and Osmond in particular need to work on their spins. Ashley's are still not great, but I loved how she clapped going into the camel spin.
4. Jumps. They were off. End of story. I liked Masha's and I liked Kaetlyn's.
5. Programs. There are wayyyy too many warhorses in this one event. That being said, SOME programs are constructed nicely, liked Kailani's and Masha's. Others are a whole bunch of two foot skating and crossovers, and the step sequences are three quarters twizzles. I at least don't like that...

Final takeaways:
Stand-outs: Masha, Kaetlyn, Courtney, Laurine, and Kailani
Disappointments: Marin, Ashley, Karen, Alaine, and Larkyn
Skaters who are still meh: Anna and Rika

sc8

On the Ice
Ashley had her Jeffrey Buttle moment in 2016 but didn't exit the stage. I definitely think she'll improve as the season goes on but this is a labored start to the Olympic season. Crossing my fingers . . .

I loved that program two years ago, but I agree it seemed sluggish and a deflated version of the original. Hopefully some program tweaks will develop and she can make it feel fresh. She’s commented on how she can rework Moulin Rouge to make it fresh and exciting, so I’m hoping for a bold Ashley and a new Satine tomorrow.

Kara

Final Flight
Totally thought ladies SP started 3 PM my time and not 3 AM.:hslap:

Marin.:sad4::hopelessness: I had the stinking suspicion in the back of my mind the combo wouldn't work out when she announced she was going for the lutz combo instead of the flip she's been doing for so long...I honestly do not see why Hamada let her do it in her grand prix debut...:( But the biggest loss of points was definitely the axel and spins...:sad21: Hope she pulls off a legendary free, but unlike in juniors where you can make a comeback onto the podium with a great free (which she did twice in the JGP last season), that doesn't happen often in ladies seniors. However, her skating skills are just out of this world for her age and the loop with the steps leading into it was just SO GOOD. Step sequence gave me shivers too.

Very happy for Anna on the flipside because of all the doubt here.:p Her lutz flew! Happy for Courtney too as I thought she looked really good in her FS practice.:hap10: And for Rika who's skating well finally after all the heartbreak of last season! Karen's spirals are to die for, but the inability to get those combos is really killing me.

MedoLove

On the Ice
Congratulations to Osmond, she's not my cup of tea, but today she presented the best program, her performance and interpretation has improved a lot. But, I must say that I don't understand those GOE +3 over Maria's variation (I not saw many bullets in her execution). I think if she added more dif. she could rise her TES.
I was very nervous about Pogorilaya, she looked too alert and worried about her own movements, I think that affected her speed and flow. Even so her expression, and her transitions were fine. I hope she recovers, she needs to reach level 4 in spins.

Maria has never been among my favorites, I feel that even "I don't know her style", I think that is tied to that intentional softness, I think she has the potential to play a stronger program. I liked that her have added arm variation. I love Tanos.

I don't know what to think about the rest, many mistakes, I didn't expect it. Poor Ashley and Marin ...
I hope the American girls recover, and the glory times come back, we need more action and rivalry in the competition.
I like much Australian girl (i forgot her name, sorry), she is very charismatic. Rika's performance surprised me .

Everything can change in the LP. I need to see Pogo enter confidence.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Congratulations to Osmond, she's not my cup of tea, but today she presented the best program, her performance and interpretation has improved a lot. But, I must say that I don't understand those GOE +3 over Maria's variation (I not saw many bullets in her execution). I think if she added more dif. she could rise her TES.

I agree. She's not my cup of tea but the clear winner of the SP here. But those GOE bullets--she's not hitting them, like you say. So why is she getting such high scores?? Because her jumps are high?? If so, that is DEFINITELY not right. Maria's jumps deserved much higher GOE (except for the axel which was rightly accounted for)

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
My two favourites of the night are Osmond and Hicks!! Otherwise a bit underwhelming compared to CoR.

As for Marin, yes she is pretty, has beautiful lines/extensions, facial expressions, and some lovely hand movements to capture the 'moments'. But when you say (including the BBC commentators) she has great skating skills, what skills are you actually referring to? I don't think she has the speed, deep edges, turns, and the overall ice coverage. Aside from the overall "loveliness", I don't see the hype. And the lack of the tangible skating skills is showing in her step sequence and there PCS, although I thought the judges would give her more for Performance and Interpretation.

meem

On the Ice
Just some different observations from today's SP:

Whoever picks the music for some of these skaters deserves to be fired. By the time we got to Anna Pogorilaya's SP, I had to hit the mute button. Esperanza? IMO, it was sheer cacophany.

Larkyn's Mein Herr from Cabaret is hard to skate to and it showed. I know it was probably a case of nerves but that music didn't help her one bit.

Kailani Craine - love this skater and her style. She made me almost forget about her music.

Rika Hongo is a beautiful, powerful skater. She needs to close her mouth or keep smiling if she needs to breathe through her mouth. She reminded me of a Russian male pairs skater from the late 90's who always had an open mouth while skating.

Kaetlyn Osmond - loved her program minus the Edith Piaf gurgling. I'm glad she's in first place.

Thank goodness for Maria Sotskova's Swan Lake and Courtney's Nocturne, music I enjoyed while watching two impressive SP's.

Oh, Ashley. What's going on, girl? You shouldn't be nervous after all these years of competitions and you love this SP music. Loved it when you started clapping your hands in the camel spin. You really are a great show skater, though...pulling in the audience. Fingers crossed for the LP.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
My two favourites of the night are Osmond and Hicks!! Otherwise a bit underwhelming compared to CoR.

As for Marin, yes she is pretty, has beautiful lines/extensions, facial expressions, and some lovely hand movements to capture the 'moments'. But when you say (including the BBC commentators) she has great skating skills, what skills are you actually referring to? I don't think she has the speed, deep edges, turns, and the overall ice coverage. Aside from the overall "loveliness", I don't see the hype. And the lack of the tangible skating skills is showing in her step sequence and there PCS, although I thought the judges would give her more for Performance and Interpretation.

Sheesh you are hard to please. ;) How many 16 years old have Patrick Chan skating skills? She is certainly more than 'above average' for her age. If others can score higher who are lesser than her, she deserve higher scores.

gold12345

Medalist
I agree. She's not my cup of tea but the clear winner of the SP here. But those GOE bullets--she's not hitting them, like you say. So why is she getting such high scores?? Because her jumps are high?? If so, that is DEFINITELY not right. Maria's jumps deserved much higher GOE (except for the axel which was rightly accounted for)

I really don't think the judges have time to think about all those bullets and how many are necessary for each GOE. I don't see how you could possibly count up bullet points in your head instantaneously. I see those bullets as a guide, but not much more than that. Tano's or not, Osmond had higher, stronger, more explosive jumps than Sotskova, hence the higher GOE.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Anyway who thought Courtney would have been the first american after the SP here beating the US champion and the former champion? ...

Actually, I would certainly have expected Courtney to score well when she skates well, especially with the two absolutely lovely programs she has been given this season! All credit to Courtney for pulling out that opening 3/3, even with the turnout slowing her momentum. Courtney should be much closer to Sotskova, and maybe even slightly ahead of Sotskova because Sotskova was clearly given gifts for under-rotating the 2-axel. I've heard it said that she also URed another jump, but she clearly wasn't judged harshly for it, like the judges did for most everyone else who made mistakes.

In fact, the judges were clearly keeping the scores down to protect Osmond, who didn't really need protecting with that gorgeous skate. Still, by keeping others' marks down, it maybe took some pressure off of Osmond to skate her best at Skate Canada, where they clearly want her to prevail. Good for Pogo for doing her best. I thought and expected Pogo to score at least in the low 70s with that program.

Sotskova is a boring skater. She has good skating skills, but no way does she deserve as high tech, and especially not that level of PCS. Courtney deserved higher PCS! Rika Hongo is a pedestrian skater, although she's very pretty. Hongo was overscored as well in comparison to others who are more accomplished artistically. I thought Kailani Crane was unfairly hosed on her marks. She must have gotten a lot taken off for perceived mistakes. But that was brutal after how well she skated. I thought Crane deserve at least 3 to 4 points higher. Lecavalier is also a nice skater to watch, though her score was reasonable I suppose. Karen needs to step it up by a lot. She clearly could be in podium position had she skated like she believes in herself. That was an unfortunate set of mistakes for the lovely and talented Marin Honda, but I'm sure Honda can move up by a lot in the fp. The judges were definitely brutal to Honda for her mistakes.

Ashley made the rotations, but she has to be brilliant with no mistakes in order for the judges to even give her halfway decent scores. No way should Ashley be percentage points behind the lumbering and boring Rika Hongo.

The judging is clearly corrupt and manipulative here.