2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 200 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating

winky97

Medalist
Polina winning SA AND placing significantly (+10p, +2 places) higher than Sotskova in GPF would make question of third Olympic spot spicy. :yes:
Not getting into GPF or losing to Sotskova there would let CSKA 'work' things out at Nats, if you know what I mean. :rolleye:

Polina really need two great skates in US, if she thinks seriously about Pyeongchang.

The SPwas not her friend. She is still about my favorite Eteri girl.

tars

Record Breaker
I don't think Sotskova makes the team unless she tops Polina at Nationals. It's sort of pointless not to go with the higher finisher, since neither will be doing the team event (unless Evgenia or Alina is injured) and only have an outside chance at an individual medal.
She WILL top Polina, if Polina doesn't match Sotskova's intn'l success of GPF.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
I know Sotskova isn't everybody's favorite but the girl has shown herself to be one of the most consistent performers this season. Combined with the fact that the Russian fed. clearly likes her I have a hard time picturing her off the Olympic team regardless of how Polina or some other lady skates. Only way she doesn't make the team is if she makes mistakes because if everybody skates clean, or semi clean, then Maria is likely going to get the nod in her favor.

I think its much closer in the eyes of the fans then it is in the eyes of the federation

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
I know Sotskova isn't everybody's favorite but the girl has shown herself to be one of the most consistent performers this season. Combined with the fact that the Russian fed. clearly likes her I have a hard time picturing her off the Olympic team regardless of how Polina or some other lady skates. Only way she doesn't make the team is if she makes mistakes because if everybody skates clean, or semi clean, then Maria is likely going to get the nod in her favor.

Most consistent, huh? In what? You mean consistent to always getting URs? Oh yes, she is. Sotskova is one of the weakest Russian skaters. She is slow and boring, and her spins are just... It's very painful to watch. It will be total disaster, if she will take the 3rd spot. Because it will be mean the only one thing - only two contenders for Olympic medals from Russia/Olympic Team.

Also, you may followed her only this season, I follow her more than three seasons in a row. Her peak is Russian Nationals. Still, her best free program which she ever skated was at Russian Nationals 2016. Then were three horrible skating at JRN, YOG and JWC. In the last season was the same story, she even popped some jump at Russian Nationals. And then horrible skating at Euro and WC.

Even Pogorilaya after bad season can handle with herself and show her best skate in the end, as it was at Worlds 2016.

Lily flowers

On the Ice
Polina can still win with a clean free right? I can’t imagine any of the other competitors being able to top her if she was clean. Especially with URs and inconsistency from them.

madison

Record Breaker
Polina winning SA AND placing significantly (+10p, +2 places) higher than Sotskova in GPF would make question of third Olympic spot spicy. :yes:
Not getting into GPF or losing to Sotskova there would let CSKA 'work' things out at Nats, if you know what I mean. :rolleye:

Polina really need two great skates in US, if she thinks seriously about Pyeongchang.

Sotskova lost to Radionova.... so, the fight is even more interesting now. Maybe even Radio is in the game for a spot:biggrin:

madison

Record Breaker
Sotskova was pretty consistent last season in the GP events, but collapsed at the Europeans and Worlds.
She seems to have a good mental strength though and I imagine now, with more experience in seniors, she'll handle better the pressure.
But I agree that if Polina wants to make the team she has to show that she's much better than Sotskova cause she has 2 main weakness in comparison to Sotskova: she is coming after severe injuries, so she might be a risk and she is from the same camp as Medvedeva and Zagitova.
I wouldn't exclude Radionova from the picture. She's TAT favourite so...

whatif

Medalist
Tsurskya is finished. Stick a fork in her. This was supposed to be a cakewalk, for christ sake!!!!

Sotskova will and should go to the Olympics. That's of course if anyone from Russia going.

Lily flowers

On the Ice
Tsurskya is finished. Stick a fork in her. This was supposed to be a cakewalk, for christ sake!!!!

Sotskova will and should go to the Olympics. That's of course if anyone from Russia going.

Let’s wait for the free before we say anything.

LRK

Record Breaker
If we stick forks into everyone who had one bad outing, there'd be no skaters left who didn't have forks stuck into them.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Really disaster program from Polina. I thought she is a consistent skater, and what was happened at her first Russian Cup stage was an incident. Sigh. So Wakaba is in. From juniors world also big news, Kihira landed two triple axels and already got many prayers that she finally will stop Russian girls, because nobody wants them to always win. And it will be pathetic situation like with junior pairs, I guess it was 2013-2014 season, where in the JGPF were five Russian pairs and one Chinese. And guess who won? That's right, Chinese pair.

It looked really pathetic, like: army of Russian pairs was defeated by one Chinese pair. If Kihira will land two triple axels, I guess the same situation we'll see among the girls.

Also, 5th December will be officially announced ban of Russian Olympic team. And 7th December will start JGPF and GPF.

You feel that atmosphere in the air? Fear, pressure, stress? What an exciting week is coming.

🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
The histrionics, doom & gloom and constant negativity from some posters here are actually pathetic. Not someone having a bad day & not skating perfectly. They are all human.

I don't believe the whole Russian team is going to be banned. But if that worst case scenario came true, the world will keep turning. Just organize some alternative competition in Russia that the fans can watch instead.

Ender

Match Penalty
Realistically, I do think Tsurkaya has very little chance of going to the Olympic. I think Medvedeva and Zagitova are locked. So the 3rd Russian girl will mostly from CSKA. Unless Sotskova bombed badly which I doubt, Russian fed might not choose 3 skaters from the same coach for the Olympics.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I feel really bad for Polina, maybe it was nerves? There was a lot of pressure on her to win. I think she will have a strong free though.

Serafima was a really nice surprise. I love how happy she was in the K&C.

russianfan

Match Penalty
Really disaster program from Polina. I thought she is a consistent skater, and what was happened at her first Russian Cup stage was an incident. Sigh. So Wakaba is in. From juniors world also big news, Kihira landed two triple axels and already got many prayers that she finally will stop Russian girls, because nobody wants them to always win. And it will be pathetic situation like with junior pairs, I guess it was 2013-2014 season, where in the JGPF were five Russian pairs and one Chinese. And guess who won? That's right, Chinese pair.

It looked really pathetic, like: army of Russian pairs was defeated by one Chinese pair. If Kihira will land two triple axels, I guess the same situation we'll see among the girls.

Also, 5th December will be officially announced ban of Russian Olympic team. And 7th December will start JGPF and GPF.

You feel that atmosphere in the air? Fear, pressure, stress? What an exciting week is coming.

🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢

i agree with some points, but you're overdramatic sometimes :) also Kihira needs to skate clean, which is what she hasn't done yet

moriel

Record Breaker
If we stick forks into everyone who had one bad outing, there'd be no skaters left who didn't have forks stuck into them.

Medvedeva would be the only one, maybe, because she still wins on her bad outings and we can forgive her

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker

🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢

You're being sarcastic, right? If so I don't think that's translated to some others. I thought that you liked the Russian girls, so yeah...
If you aren't then I'll direct you to LRK's post right above yours :)
And Kihira needs to skate clean, especially at international competitions; even with two triple axels she got only 193.46, and the Russian team is unlikely to be banned unless the entire deciding committee decides to turn off their brains...