2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 201 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating

hanca

Record Breaker
And it will be pathetic situation like with junior pairs, I guess it was 2013-2014 season, where in the JGPF were five Russian pairs and one Chinese. And guess who won? That's right, Chinese pair.

It looked really pathetic, like: army of Russian pairs was defeated by one Chinese pair.

You are such a drama queen! :rolleye: who cares whether a chinese pair beat Russian pairs a few years ago at junior level? When will you finally learn that pairs medals at junior level don’t mean much for their future career? If we look at all pairs who medalled in the last ten years at junior worlds, we may find out that the majority didn’t make it and only a few pairs did. Less than a handful.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I think both whatif and puremagic know as well as I do that Polina will end up taking the gold medal here. ;) That "stick a fork" line was a good one. :rofl:

hanca

Record Breaker
And it will be pathetic situation like with junior pairs, I guess it was 2013-2014 season, where in the JGPF were five Russian pairs and one Chinese. And guess who won? That's right, Chinese pair.

It looked really pathetic, like: army of Russian pairs was defeated by one Chinese pair.

As you seem to be so preoccupied with Russian junior pairs being beaten a few years ago, I looked into the outcomes of medallists from junior championships for the last 10 years.

Gold: Ksenia Krasilnikova / Konstantin Bezmaternikh – neither of them got ever to senior worlds or Europeans.

Silver: Lubov Iliushechkina / Nodari Maisuradze – a season or two in seniors and split up. Their best together was 5th at Europeans. Maisuradze’s best result 8th at worlds with a new partner (who retired a season later with anorexia). Iliushechkina with her new partner placed 13th, 7th and 6th at worlds and 6th, 5th and 3rd at 4CC. Maisuradze retired, Iliushechkina is still skating, even though everyone wrote her off because of her jumps.

Bronze: Dong Huibo / Wu Yiming -12th, 17th and 14th at worlds, 9th, 8th, 10th and again 10th at 4CC and retired already.

Gold: Lubov Iliushechkina / Nodari Maisuradze – as above

Silver: Anastasia Martiusheva / Alexei Rogonov – together struggled and never managed to get to worlds or 4CC. After they split up, she retired, he is still skating. With his new partner they were 10th at worlds and 7th at Europeans.

Bronze: Marissa Castelli / Simon Shnapir – Together they managed 9th at Olympics, 13th, 11th at worlds, 9th, 8th, 10th and 3rd at 4CC. With a new partner Castelli placed 6th at 4CC. Shnapir did not get to worlds or 4CC with a new partner. Both retired already.

Gold: Sui Wenjing / Han Cong – one of the few pairs that made it from junior to have success in seniors
Silver: Narumi Takahashi / Mervin Tran – Looked promising, 9th and 3rd at worlds, 5th, 7th and 5th at 4CC. Split up because of citizenship. Takahashi with her new partner ended up 18th at Olympics and 17th and 19th at worlds, and then she had two more partners, but no chance of getting to 4CC or worlds. Tran had also two more partner, and placed with one of them 5th at 4CC and with the other one 6th at 4CC.
Bronze: Ksenia Stolbova / Fedor Klimov - one of the few pairs that made it from junior to have success in seniors

Gold: Sui Wenjing / Han Cong – as above
Silver: Ksenia Stolbova / Fedor Klimov – as above
Bronze: Narumi Takahashi / Mervin Tran – as above

Gold: Sui Wenjing / Han Cong – as above
Silver: Yu Xiaoyu / Jin Yang – looked promising, but the best they managed together was 3rd at 4CC. After two seasons of seniors they were split up by the federation. Yu with her new partner is 4th at worlds and 4th at 4CC. Jin with his new partner placed 5th at 4CC.
Bronze: Vasilisa Davankova / Andrei Deputat – the year they aged out of juniors, they split up. He then skated with Bazarova but never got together to Europeans or worlds. Davankova skated one season with Enbert, did not get to Europeans or worlds, after a year he dumped her, she switched to ice dance, did reasonably well for a year and then retired.

Gold: Haven Denney / Brandon Frazier – placed 12th and 20th at worlds and 4th, 7th and 8th at 4CC. Still skating together.
Silver: Margaret Purdy / Michael Marinaro – after one season together in seniors they split up. She retired. Frazier with his new partner placed 8th at worlds and 9th and 7th at 4CC.
Bronze: Lina Fedorova / Maxim Miroshkin – split up after moving to seniors. Both struggled with triple jumps. She has been on ice partner search for several years, he is skating with a new partner but they don’t compete, only in shows.

Gold: Yu Xiaoyu / Jin Yang – as above
Silver: Evgenia Tarasova / Vladimir Morozov– another one of the pairs who managed to have success in juniors and in seniors
Bronze: Maria Vigalova / Egor Zakroev– split up when he aged out of juniors. Vigalova struggles with triple jumps and therefore decided to stop competing – with her new partner they skate in shows. Zakroev tried to find a partner and compete but he also struggles with triples, after one competition split up. I believe he now skates in shows too.

Gold: Yu Xiaoyu / Jin Yang – as above
Silver: Julianne Séguin / Charlie Bilodeau – still skate together, 8th and 11th at worlds. They could make it within a few years.
Bronze: Lina Fedorova / Maxim Miroshkin – as above

Gold: Anna Dušková / Martin Bidař– still together. Too early to say if they will make it. 7th at Europeans and 14th at worlds on their first attempt.
Silver: Anastasia Mishina / Vladislav Mirzoev– split up already. Her new partnership looks quite promising, with a bit of luck we may see them at junior worlds this year. His new partnership does not look great because with his new partner he has not competed yet.
Bronze: Ekaterina Borisova / Dmitry Sopot– split up already. Sopot’s new partnership looks quite promising, with a bit of luck we may see them at junior worlds this year. Borisova is still looking for a partner.

Gold: Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya / Harley Windsor– still together. Too early to say if they will make it. 11th at 4CC and 16th at worlds in their first senior season.
Silver: Aleksandra Boikova / Dmitrii Kozlovskii – still together. Too early to say if they will make it. They are still in juniors.
Bronze: Gao Yumeng / Xie Zhong – still together. Too early to say if they will make it. They are still in juniors.

Well, it seems that from all those pairs for the last 10 years, only Sui/Han, Stolbova/Klimov and Tarasova/Morozov managed to be really successful in both juniors and then in seniors. (We may count also Takahashi/Tran, if we count a very short success). Many of them split up, some retired, some skate with new partners and a few of them still has a chance to make it in the future, but I think it proved the point. It doesn't really matter that let's say Denney/Frazier and Purdy/Marinaro beat Russian pair at junior worlds in 2013. The Russian pair does not even exist any more, and for Denney/Frazier what counts are their current results as seniors, not the fact that they managed to be junior worlds champions four years ago.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Watching Polina today, I think I want to like her more than I actually do. She has great jumps, but I think the time off with her injuries prevented her from improving her presentation skills, and for me she is far behind Alina in that regard. She might be great in a year or two, but I don't see her competing for the Olympic podium with her LP.

whatif

Medalist
The absolutely hideous, pointless and lazy free programme from Tsurskaya does not help either. Anyway, none of this matters as nobody is going to the Olympics.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
You are such a drama queen! :rolleye: who cares whether a chinese pair beat Russian pairs a few years ago at junior level? When will you finally learn that pairs medals at junior level don’t mean much for their future career? If we look at all pairs who medalled in the last ten years at junior worlds, we may find out that the majority didn’t make it and only a few pairs did. Less than a handful.

Hey, I'm drama king then! 🤔 Don't mix me with silly girls, dear hanca! I'm very vulnerable, you know.

That's a good point you have. But do you know what similar in life of figure skater and rhythmic gymnast? It's short career. If you have abilities now - show it, because in the next season you might be gone. Their life like candles, which burns out very quickly. Yeah, most of them didn't survive after puberty, but if they have a chance now, it's pity they don't use it. I'm stlll very sad because of stealing Polina's spot by his partner which has no talent at all for Chinese pair. Absolutely incredible injustice. What you can do.

Yes, I guess I should reconsider some juniors competitions, but it doesn't cancel my main point. Your sport life is a candle. Show your best before you'll be extinguished.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
And what did I say, huh? Why are you not learning? Why you can't get my wisdom? And someone telling me tales about Russian bloodbath... Yeah, right. Only two spots. That's all. Other girls are weak. Bloodbath it's when all three spots have at least 5-6 candidats. But you have only two. Others are weak. Sad!

Dr-minus

Rinkside
Alas, Polina's unfortunate short program at SA will probably cost her a place on Olympic team. Even if she skates lights out at Nationals, she most probably will be placed behind Maria because Russian tech panel is gonna turn a blind eye on her possible underrotations and apart from that she is pretty consistent. Pity. I would take Polina over Maria any day.

hanca

Record Breaker
Hey, I'm drama king then! 🤔 Don't mix me with silly girls, dear hanca! I'm very vulnerable, you know.

That's a good point you have. But do you know what similar in life of figure skater and rhythmic gymnast? It's short career. If you have abilities now - show it, because in the next season you might be gone. Their life like candles, which burns out very quickly. Yeah, most of them didn't survive after puberty, but if they have a chance now, it's pity they don't use it. I'm stlll very sad because of stealing Polina's spot by his partner which has no talent at all for Chinese pair. Absolutely incredible injustice. What you can do.

Yes, I guess I should reconsider some juniors competitions, but it doesn't cancel my main point. Your sport life is a candle. Show your best before you'll be extinguished.

But no one stole anyone’s spot. It is not the Chinese pair’s fault that your favourite Russian pair could not stay on their feet. They have some very hard elements like the quad twist, but then they have also some very iffy elements and mistake on those can be very expensive. I would be surprised if they managed to qualify for junior worlds, in my view Russia has at least three (and possibly more) pairs who are stronger than Kostiukovich/Ialin, but at least the federation is now aware of K/I and if they are good enough at the test skates next year, they again get JGP. If you look at it from the other side, maybe it is good that they were rightly punished for those mistakes because at least they know what they need to work on. If they were getting away with it, there would be no motivation to fix it.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
But no one stole anyone’s spot. It is not the Chinese pair’s fault that your favourite Russian pair could not stay on their feet. They have some very hard elements like the quad twist, but then they have also some very iffy elements and mistake on those can be very expensive. I would be surprised if they managed to qualify for junior worlds, in my view Russia has at least three (and possibly more) pairs who are stronger than Kostiukovich/Ialin, but at least the federation is now aware of K/I and if they are good enough at the test skates next year, they again get JGP. If you look at it from the other side, maybe it is good that they were rightly punished for those mistakes because at least they know what they need to work on. If they were getting away with it, there would be no motivation to fix it.

Fair enough, but I'm expecting split up in two years... Very sad that the world won't see the best quad twist in the world. Even quad twist of Sui/Han or Tarasova/Morozov is not so impressive as theirs... 😢

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
I'm a bit drunk now, sad I have no emoji with normal drinks... only light drinks like a beer... 🍺

The next stop is a 5th December. You know what will be... See ya...

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
That's really funny to watch celebration on the other street because of failure of others. How pathetic...