2018 US Championships Sr Men FS | Page 81 | Golden Skate

2018 US Championships Sr Men FS

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
I know, lol I’ve skated my whole life.

The “now” is that Ross beat Vincent and Adam.

Yeah and that "now" is that Vincent also beat Adam. There might not be another four years in Vincent's future (knock on wood of course)

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
I bet Brown retires right away, and the placements for the teams shuffle up by one.

Alternates will be important, too. High likelihood that someone will get quad-injured. IIRC alternates get more funding than they might if they weren’t alternates, even if they don’t compete.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I bet Brown retires right away, and the placements for the teams shuffle up by one.

Alternates will be important, too. High likelihood that someone will get quad-injured. IIRC alternates get more funding than they might if they weren’t alternates, even if they don’t compete.

I don't think Brown's going to retire right away. Why would he?

MsLayback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
USFSA needs a seemingly consistent standard in making their selection, keeping in mind how Wagner was treated both in the last and the current Olympic selections. Which model are they going to go by with the Men selection this time?

Ross and Vincent screwed the fed's script. Oh, wait, Adam and Jason did.
Thank you for the wit of this sound bite! Much appreciated [emoji106]

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
I'm just blown away by Nathan Chen's consistency and the nerve of steel they guy has.

Last night we saw it from Bradie Tennell on the ladies' side as well. If these two marry each other and have kids, what would they be like if they take on figure skating like their parents? Will Nathan Jr. be the first to land 4A, quad 1/2 loop quad and quad quad combo? Will Bradie Jr. be the first to land quads on the ladies' side? Just having some fun thoughts... :slink:

He hasn't been consistency all season though?

auser

Record Breaker
Guys, imagine if Kaitlyn and Jean-Luc win the national title tomorrow?! :eeking:

After the final placements in both the ladies and men’s events, I wouldn’t be shocked if one of the top three dance teams had a major blunder down the steps to potato land..

At least Alexa and Chris won earlier today, as predicted. It’s a lot less stressful that way! Yeesh!
Gah are you trying to fill me with the specter of multiple ice dance falls like 2006 Olympics Original Dance :eeking:? Okay, maybe you can have Andrew Poje all to yourself for a while. Well, then again:luv17:. Aha, this is a plot to jinx US ice dancing teams to benefit W/P. Trying to think of a way to complain about this ;) :laugh:. I do love US ID teams of course.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
I'm incredibly sad that Jason is not even mentioned in this thread. It's sad but it's the reality that he did not have the season nor the National experience to even be considered.

I'm listening to the press conference and it saddened me to hear Vincent Zhou talk about a hip problem he had last year as a junior. 17 and a hip problem! Will he be walking at age 21?

And yet there are still people in this very thread saying, "oh Vincent will be only 21 in 2022 so he has enough time to go another four years" :rolleye:

We have a prime example in our very own commentator Tara Lipinski who had to retire because her hips were dead at 16 because of all those loop-loop combinations and needed hip replacement before 20! For all we know Vincent's hip could finally give in the next month with all those quads he tries :(

TunaKeem

Rinkside
I watched all the Olympic skating competitions that The Olympic Channel played last week (all of them since 2002). Quads were being done in 2002, so I'm not sure they can be said to be all that new....

Sorry, my point wasnt that quads were new but having almost an entire program being quads as opposed to have one or two would be harmful for joints and stuff

dailytg20

On the Ice
Placing my bets on Nathan, Ross and Adam with the USFA pointing to ISU World Ranking or whatever #bodyofwork to justify it.

If they are willing to bump Ross for Adam--which is pretty harsh and sad--then they would be pulling a full-twisting Nagasu combination with a paired #bodyofwork maneuver (a la Wagner) and a thinking-about-the-future move (a la Polina). This to me would be pretty unjust. Those who feel empathy for Ross will be completely drowned out by the Rippon party brigade. It would be strategically smart, but deserving of severe side eye.

I would not be mad but I would be shocked if they go with the top 3 as is.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DS6ZUlpVwAAdmu8.jpg:large

I think this is a good breakdown of who should go. Make your own conclusions.

Oof! Well based on that, I am bringing out the Puffs tissues for Ross. I do think backdoor calculations like this do have a side cost of diminishing the sport to casual viewers and fans. It makes sense in group and you can try to explain it, but just your having to explain it feeds into the narrative of "Why is figure skating even considered a sport?"

I don't know if it's necessarily a fair question--I know gymnastics gets some of this as well with team selection.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Adam had one bad competition this season. Ross had one good one. Adam is a better bet. He does better internationally in general over Ross who does not do well. Nathan, Adam and Vincent.

twirlingblades

Medalist
They can send him to Worlds. That way he still gets something.

True, but worlds is where we get placements for next year, so I would rather send someone with a higher score potential.

Send the medalists to worlds, and leave worlds for Adam? Idk

penniavaswen

On the Ice
Country
United-States
As good as Nathan is on tv, he is even more remarkable live. He has this indescribable presence about him that is mistifying.

That was a thing of beauty, I'm still shook! Yessss, Nathan, best performance of it at Nationals!

MsLayback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I say Karma for the USFSA, they knew that if Vincent score was 120+ then Brown and Rippon couldn't possibly beat him, so they tore it down, then Ross had the skate of his life. So now they figure, if Ross beat Vincent then if either Brown or Rippon screw up, it was easier to bump Ross then Vincent so Ross is now second. Who could have guess that Both Brown and Rippon imploded and now the USFSA is in a bind. Can't bump a silver medalist (which they did to Vincent last year anyway) and can they bump Vincent again even though he medal both years?... oh what a tangle web the USFSA weave... LOL
You my friend have encapsulated the whole evening in this one post..... BRAVO

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why? The US's only medal hope is Nathan. The Olympics don't determine spots for next year. Ross earned it. He should go. Send Adam to Worlds if need be. That should be the tough choice, not the Olympic team.

I disagree that you earn it with one skate out of nowhere. The selection process is supposed to include the body of work, which Ross Miner does not have. Either do what you say you're going to, or go back to taking the top 3 no matter who they are.

twirlingblades

Medalist
Placing my bets on Nathan, Ross and Adam with the USFA pointing to ISU World Ranking or whatever #bodyofwork to justify it.

If they are willing to bump Ross for Adam--which is pretty harsh and sad--then they would be pulling a full-twisting Nagasu combination with a paired #bodyofwork maneuver (a la Wagner) and a thinking-about-the-future move (a la Polina). This to me would be pretty unjust. Those who feel empathy for Ross will be completely drowned out by the Rippon party brigade. It would be strategically smart, but deserving of severe side eye.

I would not be mad but I would be shocked if they go with the top 3 as is.

The only thing I can think of is Ashley and Adams friendship. Both 4th with ~~body of work~~ issues. Hmmmm.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan will not want to skate the long program in the team event, so we need to send someone who can do an OK long. Miner or Zhou are much bigger risks for that then Rippon just based on results this season.

Why won't he want to? And if he's on team and the US's best shot for a medal, shouldn't he have to?

sandi

Rinkside
Both Bay Area kids got bronze! Yay Karen and Vincent! :thumbsup:

Ideally, I would like to see them send Nathan, Vincent, and Adam to the Olympics... Ross has an amazing skate but didn't beat Vincent by much... it feels wrong to bump him off but I feel sad for Adam... :(