2018 Skate America Free Dance | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2018 Skate America Free Dance

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
Big TES score.

I feel like none of you watching this because you want to talk about Zach's snippy Shibs comments. You are getting my side eye.

TBF, ice dance gossip is 1000x more interesting than actual ice dancing. At least ice dancing to LLL :yawn:

pearly

Record Breaker
By the end of this competition I was looking forward to LaLa Land.

G/F still look terribly mismatched. I wish there was more difference in height.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI

Lovely lift entry into the combo spin with great positions and speed. Wonderfully soft blades through the circular step, very finished curves. Great entrance into the set of twizzles with great sync and nice choreography between them. Great one-foot lift with lots of around-the-back movements. Strong one-foot sequence right to the change of music (Level 3 and 2). Nice to-tapping character step sequence. Great balance-point stationary lift. Fairly good change of positions through the spread eagle lift, a little wobble on the spread eagle but not a severe one. Well-performed dance lift and spin move to end the program.

So glad that we have a strong ice dance couple showing that La La Land can be a good choice of music for a program. It just needs to be done properly, yes? I love a lot of their entries into elements - they're really going for the 'unexpected' bullet point for a lot of their elements. I think they were able to capture the classic tone of the movie and some of the gentle, soft romance as well. The program could have a bit more highs and lows in the emotion to capture the differences in the music choices - the toe-tapping section could be sharper, the romance could be more longing. But this is a great start for the team with a silver medal win.

FD: 117.29
Total: 192.30

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Oops, poor Zach!

I couldn't really tell either which is why I don't really know what to think but he sounded kind of like "oh this is the score we've been deserving for a while now, finally it's here"
maybe not, I might have bad hearing :biggrin:

The ore Zach opens his mouth, the less I like him.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
My favourite skate was by the Disco Brits. And I feel no shame about it.

H/D are not Romeo and Juliet to me and I hate La La Land with a passion and while I think Tiffany and Johnathon have a good program in Blues for Klook it needs work. M/C are trying to do P/C to me and that is a comparison I wouldn't want to set up for myself.

Is this Z/G first GP medal?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
By the way, thank you all for making the "paid thread" well worth the money.

I actually enjoy this so much.

I know I'm I the minority, but I like the new threads.

The very modest fee seems to be enough to keep the trolls and nonsense posts out.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Really nice from G/F. It's a good program and they did well with it. They'll never, I think, be my favorites, but they've certainly earned a healthy amount of respect and admiration.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
G/F did very nicely, I just don't like the La La Land soundtrack as a whole... And I am sad to see M/C without a medal.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

H/D are not Romeo and Juliet to me and I hate La La Land with a passion and while I think Tiffany and Johnathon have a good program in Blues for Klook it needs work. M/C are trying to do P/C to me and that is a comparison I wouldn't want to set up for myself.

Everyone but Hubbell/Donohue will get their 1st dance GP medal.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Madi and Zach just aren't a very Romeo and Juliet - like ice-couple to me. they need something more passionate - R+J is more childish and innocent, they are more mature and passionate

Spot on. Which is probably why I'm very meh about them.

I CHALLENGE them to do a dance that isn't about sex and/or romance. A dance about pure movement. Not every dance has to tell a story.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker

Yep, it's their first medal in the Grand Prix ever.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Spot on. Which is probably why I'm very meh about them.

I CHALLENGE them to do a dance that isn't about sex and/or romance. A dance about pure movement. Not every dance has to tell a story.

What was silly to me was that Madison was trying to sell this as "modern dance" take of R&J when 2/3s of it is to Kissing You and it's all romantic and she dies at the end.

Honestly, I like the first 1/3 of it. Just do that for the whole then then the modern dance argument has more standing...

Honestly Jun's JULLLIEEETTT free skate is a much more better modern interpretation of R&J.

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yep, it's their first medal in the Grand Prix ever.

No, Z/G were at Skate America last year as well. I remember cause I remember when I was at the hotel, I saw Tiffany there (I stayed at the same hotel as the skaters).