2018 Skate America Free Dance | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2018 Skate America Free Dance

LaArdilla

Medalist
I think I got 45. Problem was underestimating G/F!
I forgot about G/F altogether! Otherwise I would have got a perfect score! It’s because of La la land, such a forgettable film, it made me forget poor G/F!

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Hmm, I'm kinda awake, do I stay up for the ladies and (bleep) up my midterm for (bleep) Python (which I'm already close to failing anyway) or do I try to force myself to sleep?

twirlingblades

Medalist
By the way, thank you all for making the "paid thread" well worth the money.

I actually enjoy this so much.

I know I'm I the minority, but I like the new threads.

The very modest fee seems to be enough to keep the trolls and nonsense posts out.

At first I was kind of off put by a small fee, but I take it back now. This is so nice. Y'all are great!

BrentWolgamott

Rinkside
Everyone gets bent out of shape by Zach's "snippy Shibs" comments, but tell me: do we want our atheletes to speak in athelete-speak? Where every answer is: "I'm just worried about myself and what i can do. i don't pay attention to anyone else" and "I've made a lot of improvements; I'm just concentrating on myself" and "Things happen, so we move on. That's in the past. NEXT QUESTON!!!". LOL

he was giving REAL emotion and a REAL answer. PLEASE give me that any day. Y'all get your panties in a wad about it -- and yet that's why athletes don't talk to the medium with abandon.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
No, Z/G were at Skate America last year as well. I remember cause I remember when I was at the hotel, I saw Tiffany there (I stayed at the same hotel as the skaters).

Um, I'm not disputing that? They were at Skate America last year and they were 6th.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I got the top six dance teams correctly, hooray!

Granted, ice dance is the easiest discipline for predictions, by a mile, but still.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Everyone gets bent out of shape by Zach's "snippy Shibs" comments, but tell me: do we want our atheletes to speak in athelete-speak? Where every answer is: "I'm just worried about myself and what i can do. i don't pay attention to anyone else" and "I've made a lot of improvements; I'm just concentrating on myself" and "Things happen, so we move on. That's in the past. NEXT QUESTON!!!". LOL

he was giving REAL emotion and a REAL answer. PLEASE give me that any day. Y'all get your panties in a wad about it -- and yet that's why athletes don't talk to the medium with abandon.

You can be real without undermining your competitors. I don't really want to talk about this because honestly it's water under the bridge, but I think it's understandable why people were bothered by the comments.

In fact, the Shibs were really real in their comments before the FD at the Olympics. How they were disappointed not being in the top three after the SD and that Maia tried to cheer them up by looking at old videos.

Last edited:

LaArdilla

Medalist
Lol Maddie during the interview: “it was great to have the audience take the poison with me”! Oh dear...

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
On the way to update their Wikipedia pages, I realize that not only have Hubbell and Donohue never won Skate America before, this is only their second medal from it.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So....according to the protocol, M/C's TES dropped cause one of their lifts got changed from a level 4 to a level 3....If only.......

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At first I was kind of off put by a small fee, but I take it back now. This is so nice. Y'all are great!

I know! This is the first GP event where I haven't wanted to reach through the monitor and choke somebody!

I think we went a whole thread without any "Slay Queen" or other similar nonsense.

I am loving it.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Okay, can we either stop talking about the snippy Shibs comments or have someone, anyone finally give at least a time period they happened in so those of us who are confused can go look it up?

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
You can be real without undermining your competitors. I don't really want to talk about this because honestly it's water under the bridge, but I think it's understandable why people were bothered by the comments.

In fact, the Shibs were really real in their comments before the FD at the Olympics. How they were disappointed not being in the top three after the SD and that Maia tried to cheer them up by looking at old videos.

I missed this, what did he say and when did he say it??? :confused:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Okay, can we either stop talking about the snippy Shibs comments or have someone, anyone finally give at least a time period they happened in so those of us who are confused can go look it up?

Well, if memory serves, in the pre-season, Zach made some comments pertaining to the fact that they weren't just out for another bronze medal - but he may have been more forceful in his words - but that was the essence of it.

Then, later in the season, he said something to the effect that he had gifted the Shibs with some medals in the past - referencing his own mistakes that opened the door and undermined their success.

I honestly don't think he meant disrespect towards any other skaters - he was, in reality, beating himself up.

But - you know how these things go.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, if memory serves, in the pre-season, Zach made some comments pertaining to the fact that they weren't just out for another bronze medal - but he may have been more forceful in his words - but that was the essence of it.

Then, later in the season, he said something to the effect that he had gifted the Shibs with some medals in the past - referencing his own mistakes that opened the door and undermined their success.

I honestly don't think he meant disrespect towards any other skaters - he was, in reality, beating himself up.

But - you know how these things go.

Ohhhhh, I think I remember those, at least the first one. Thanks for explaining.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ohhhhh, I think I remember those, at least the first one. Thanks for explaining.

Disclaimer: I'm only going by my own recollections and interpretations at the time.

It's not anything that I got exercised over - so people who were upset by the comments may have a different spin.

But, as Mrs P said, it's in the past and the Shibs aren't even on the circuit this year.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

TL;DR.

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2018...kating-world-championships-ice-dance-preview/
Hubbell and Donohue were also in third place after the short dance at the 2017 World Championships. There, like in PyeongChang, Donohue fell during their free dance, and they finished out of the medals (ninth) with the Shibutanis moving up to bronze.

“I wish the Shibutanis were [in Milan] because last year I gave them my medal,” Donohue said, “and I don’t plan on doing that this year.”

I can grant the interpretation that Zach was referring to the fact that he gave his medal because of his performance. But again, you could have mentioned that without mentioning the Shibs. It gives the vibe that the Shibs only got their medal cause of them (as in they did not earn it -- they still had to perform, too, you know).

Anyway, water under the bridge, guys. The Shibs still have all their medals, it's fine.

Last edited: