2018 Internationaux de France Men's Short Program | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2018 Internationaux de France Men's Short Program

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Agree, but I don’t think rivaling Hanyu outright (assuming everyone goes clean) is necessarily a realistic goal — same story with Chen. Jason doesn’t have the same BV they do, and that’s a limitation, but consistency, hitting all your levels in spins and the steps, and raking in high GOE help to close the gap. Is it enough to overtake a 3A, 4F//4Lz-3T Chen in the short? No. But ignoring the 10% bonus, a programme’s max TES is literally “(sum of all elements)/2 + sum of all elements,” which is far more than what Jason’s theoretical max was last season.
influence by helping Jason with the 4S. [emoji41]

The premise of the original post was that IF Browns BV was close to Hanyu/Uno/Chen, he could challenge for the top of the podium.

s_parks

Record Breaker
I call BS on Samarin's jump GOEs. You had a visibly flawed landing, you don't get + goes. It's not like he had amazing transitions/entry to make up for it either. And the pcs is a disgrace. How did he get 8+ across the board for SS? This some multple-quad-program pcs bonus nonsense.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Yes, Samarin really deserved negative GOE on those quads and he had higher PCS than Aliev. Odd, very odd!

I think the judges are under a lot of pressure not to give skates with falls higher PCS than those who are clean.

I think the new system is really about cleaning up the falling because falling and still winning a medal confused casual viewers.

Weetos

Final Flight
Which is why I believe the new scoring system will limit the athleticism of figure skating...or at least set it back. Skaters should not be afraid to try and land new jump in competitions, because they know that the judges will rip them into pieces if they are not perfect.

May I suggest ski jumping as a sport you would enjoy

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Yeah I'm surprised by some of the reactions. This result provides more confidence that the scoring system is working. It should produce this type of standing when the skating played out the way it did here. Samarin's GOEs though...he's on track to be the Stasya of this event.

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
I am not ok with many decisions today. Chen and Samarin were both overmarked in PCS today. And some of the GOE were too high. Hmmmm....

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Am I the only one who would have called Nathan’s 4F e instead of !?

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Seeing Jason's performance live I honestly can totally back up that score - if others can do quads this effortless AND add a superb quality of movement, skating all around as Jason does then they are capable of scoring proportionally higher, no need really for me to diminish Jason and his score.

He embodied quality in every single element executed and added a wonderful finish to them, making them effortless, harmonious, but with that snap and edge. None of sloppiness, slowness or overwrought skating - none of Men made the music sound so well like Jason did, he gave it a shape, a beautiful one that captivated the audience for the whole time - I will repeat to death, some skaters impress by quads, others are using things they are good at to do so, Jason showed today that there are good things to be excited about and worth reward.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Jason is overscored!
Alexander is overscored!
Poor Boyang, stop hitting the boards, boy.

That sums up the state of this thread right now. :laugh:

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Don't get me wrong, I love seeing well done quad jumps but let's face it, most of them look quite um, lacking of finesse and jerky landings then adding a second jump to the combo can make it look worse :slink:

IloveFS

Rinkside
Why didn't Nathan go for the 4Lz, but a 4 flip instead. I thought the 4Lz was one of his most comfortable jumps?

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
What? Are you crazy? Did you not see the stunning quality of everything Jason did that he got showered in properly deserved GOEs? And the level 4s? Do what you do well and the judges will give you your just rewards. Jason's SP was exactly what the new GOEs were designed for, to reward quality skating instead of sloppy attempts at harder things.

Personally one thing always bummed me about Jason is that people thinks he's the most artistic skater but then you look at his skating skills and it is very much wiggle and pose: lots of skating on two feet, even in the steps sequence, there is not much flow: it's always 1-2 seconds of twizzles, turns, edges,... and then pause for some fancy pose. (he's one of the most flexible so that helps for sure)

Not that he shouldn't deserve high components anyway, but maybe not that high, he's not Patrick Chan.

Aliev for instance has much more flow on his skating, i'd argue comparable performance / interpretation and he got 39 here which is low. (i thought he was underscored here in the components, especially when you look that Jin, Chen and Samarin got higher components and they are far worse skaters imo)

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason’s skating skills are so good. If anything, he was underscored in PCS. That said, I am a little torn on the change to to scoring system. It is easier to perform and have difficult transitions with an easier jump layout. But his program was the only one I truly enjoyed.