2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 203 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Scott512

Record Breaker
It's not good to publicly slam your student. But the reality is, she did, and her comments will be taken into consideration when considering Gubanova. That's the reality. As for who would take their kids to Buyanova? Probably a lot of people. Everyone knows the power the has, and she has TAT's backing as well. Playing the game in sports is not just being the best athlete, there is so much politics involved and that can trump talent. That's why burning the bridge with Buyanova is dangerous; she is powerful and Gubanova doesn't have a string of competitive success and reputation to cling to.

I think her best bet is to skate for another country. But to do that, the Russian Fed would have to release her. If they thinks she's talented and can put up ANY competition with Russian girls, they won't. Or maybe if they think she's not talented, they still won't release her because she upset some powerful people. Either way, it's difficult and her chances are slim. It's a very depressing situation.
I agree with every word.

If Nastya was a typical 16 year old and not the perfect pupil should we be shocked? No. And the overreaction is unbelievable from the coach.

Not sure she would want to skate for another country with her little sister being a skater too. I hope being back in St. Petersburg will spark Nastya again. Living in Moscow was not good for her career. I dont think she liked the city either.

I hope Nastya has nothing but good things to say about Buyanova and CSKA. Keep it classy. But I also wouldnt mind her going rip city either. ;) Although that would probably ruin her career for sure.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Being expelled from CSKA is a fairly serious matter as you have to do something pretty bad to be expelled altogether. Even Buyanova is not really known to say bad things about her current/former skaters so for her to publicly say this means there is some truth to the matter. Its looking like another Tarakanova situation again where Gubanova will probably find it difficult to find another coach and she'll either have to return to a former coach like Turenko or decide to skate for another country altogether.

Then how was she expelled today at CSKA but already back in St. Petersburg for who knows how long? The mystery continues. I think she will find a coach and I hope living back in St. Petersburg will spark Nastya again after working with Buyanova for a year almost cost her her career.

Scott512

Record Breaker
It's not good to publicly slam your student. But the reality is, she did, and her comments will be taken into consideration when considering Gubanova. That's the reality. As for who would take their kids to Buyanova? Probably a lot of people. Everyone knows the power the has, and she has TAT's backing as well. Playing the game in sports is not just being the best athlete, there is so much politics involved and that can trump talent. That's why burning the bridge with Buyanova is dangerous; she is powerful and Gubanova doesn't have a string of competitive success and reputation to cling to.

I think her best bet is to skate for another country. But to do that, the Russian Fed would have to release her. If they thinks she's talented and can put up ANY competition with Russian girls, they won't. Or maybe if they think she's not talented, they still won't release her because she upset some powerful people. Either way, it's difficult and her chances are slim. It's a very depressing situation.

Why would they let Lilbet go to another country and not Nastya? Libet can beat the top Russian girls at this point. Nastya cannot. Let her go. Release Nastya. ;) I do wonder if Canada would be interested in her. No doubt some of the ex Soviet Republics would be as well. But it still may work out in her homeland. Being away from Buyanova may be good for Nastyas career.

One other thing I think Buyanaova is most upset that Nastya is not in top shape and form and she had a poblem with that. She even said Nastya could not do her tasks. But who is going to be in December shape in July? Crazy! LOL!

Scott512

Record Breaker
Don't want to be offensive, but how would be helpfull to train in Belarus or Ukraine? Competing for these countries I get, but training? Lots of people leave these countries to train in Russia. I mean Russia is not perfect but she has amazing rings, modern training facilities, expertise and so on. If you leave Russia go to Canada, US, Japan. Or at least western Europe, France, Germany, Switzerland.

Edit: My bad. You meant Belarus or Ukraine paying for her training in US or Canada... I still think is hard, she loses more than she gains from these options. I can see France, Germany, UK properly funding a skater like that, Belarus and Ukraine not so much :(

I can see Nastya in Germany. When was the last time they had a good female skater? And they would have the money to fund her. Switzerland and France too.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Why would they let Lilbet go to another country and not Nastya? Libet can beat the top Russian girls at this point. Nastya cannot. Let her go. Release Nastya. ;) I do wonder if Canada would be interested in her. No doubt some of the ex Soviet Republics would be as well. But it still may work out in her homeland. Being away from Buyanova may be good for Nastyas career.

One other thing I think Buyanaova is most upset that Nastya is not in top shape and form and she had a poblem with that. She even said Nastya could not do her tasks. But who is going to be in December shape in July? Crazy! LOL!
I don't think the Russian Federation could have known how good Elizabet would become when she was just a kid. I think she's been representing Kazakhstan since she was 11.

With their embarrassment of riches, I don't see what the Federation could stand to lose by releasing her, but I'm sure she'd like things to work out at home. I've never understood how singles skaters can hop countries without some sort of familial relationship to that country though.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I don't think the Russian Federation could have known how good Elizabet would become when she was just a kid. I think she's been representing Kazakhstan since she was 11.

With their embarrassment of riches, I don't see what the Federation could stand to lose by releasing her, but I'm sure she'd like things to work out at home. I've never understood how singles skaters can hop countries without some sort of familial relationship to that country though.

Agreed.

It is confusing about the countries and what can and can't be done.

I'm not sure the feeration will release Anastasia. She is only sixteen and could still improve quite a bit. If she was 20 or 21 years old I could see them releasing her with greater ease. But it can't please the Federation that Lilbet finished ahead of Medvedeva at Worlds last year well living and training in Russia with Zhenyas former coach.

Georgya

On the Ice
Agreed.

It is confusing about the countries and what can and can't be done.

I'm not sure the feeration will release Anastasia. She is only sixteen and could still improve quite a bit. If she was 20 or 21 years old I could see them releasing her with greater ease. But it can't please the Federation that Lilbet finished ahead of Medvedeva at Worlds last year well living and training in Russia with Zhenyas former coach.

I really don't think RusFed cared so much about Tursynbayeva's silver while taking home Gold and Bronze. People bringing her into discussion on country switch must remember that Tursynbayeva made NO international appearances for Russia.

Is amazing that she had a plan from the start and she has my respect for the fact that she didn't try to "cut corners" by seaking political influence and switching to compete for Russia. Her parents managed really well her career.

Alot of russian skaters abandon the people who formed them in favor of "big" name coaches because they think they could place better even if they have a weak performance.... because of the reputation. Sometimes this gamble pays off sometimes not. Cases like Gubanova should be lessons to learn for the others.

After Sotskova left Elena Buianova and now talks of diets and after Buianova accused Gubanova of gaining weight and losing form, Russia has a new entry for "evil coach". Eteri is like :biggrin:

ruga

Final Flight
Although I don't know much about metabolism and nutrition, I'm really concerned about what Maria said about her diet. 1000 calories? She is talller than average woman and is a professional athlete. She'd probably need twice as much just to maintain or even lose a bit of her weight. But maybe it's enough for her? Still very strange.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I really don't think RusFed cared so much about Tursynbayeva's silver while taking home Gold and Bronze. People bringing her into discussion on country switch must remember that Tursynbayeva made NO international appearances for Russia.

Is amazing that she had a plan from the start and she has my respect for the fact that she didn't try to "cut corners" by seaking political influence and switching to compete for Russia. Her parents managed really well her career.

Alot of russian skaters abandon the people who formed them in favor of "big" name coaches because they think they could place better even if they have a weak performance.... because of the reputation. Sometimes this gamble pays off sometimes not. Cases like Gubanova should be lessons to learn for the others.

After Sotskova left Elena Buianova and now talks of diets and after Buianova accused Gubanova of gaining weight and losing form, Russia has a new entry for "evil coach". Eteri is like :biggrin:

I agree with you that it's concerning about the weight issue with another prominent coach. 1000 calories a day for a 5-foot 8-inch woman like Maria who works out so hard is kind of worrisome. Nastya as great spins and very fluid skating and flowing with the music and she may have been a little bit of off her game a couple pounds overweight and I think that's the crux of the matter here between her and her former coach Elena Buyanova. I read between the lines of what the coach sad and the intimation is nastya is not an elite figure skating shape. Maybe due to puberty maybe do the offseason or both. But I ask you and everyone here who in the world is in December Russian Nationals shape in freaking July? The answer is no one other than maybe Anna or Sasha. Poor Nastya. I hope we get some information about her soon about plan B for her career.

Fair points about Liberal career. But at this point in 2019 and was so much at stake for the Russian ladies I'm not sure how easy it's going to be for girls to leave Russia to skate for another country while still training in Russia. if a girl leaves at 13 or 14 and then becomes really good at 17 or 18 the Russian Federation will live to regret that.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Although I don't know much about metabolism and nutrition, I'm really concerned about what Maria said about her diet. 1000 calories? She is talller than average woman and is a professional athlete. She'd probably need twice as much just to maintain or even lose a bit of her weight. But maybe it's enough for her? Still very strange.
Where does hard as Maria works out and trains and being almost five feet nine inches tall and probably about 125 lb at the minimum she needs a lot more than a thousand calories a day. So do girls for that matter who weigh 90 lb. but these girls are willing to live the life do the hard work and reap the rewards for it.

Buyanova intimated and her comments that Anastasia gubanova was not in good shape to do the figure skating routines and training she's supposed to. I think that's why she expelled her and embarrassed her publicly. I thank the higher-ups in the Russian Federation need to get hold of the situation and start educating the coaches properly and their students boys and girls Not every figure skater in the ladies division can weigh between 80 and 90 lb. Nastya might not even weigh one hundred pounds yet and a coach still threw a fit. SMH. She's 5 ft 2 in tall but skating at 85 or 90 pounds probably does not fit into her life anymore especially since puberty is almost done with her.

Hoping her next coach is Mishin. no matter who it is I hope the decision come soon so she can move on from this terrible situation of being expelled from the legendary cska.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Don't forget that Nastia has been included in the national team, so she's amongst the 9 funded skaters in Russia.
If she would try to change countries, it can be a lengthy and tough process at this point, since she's already part of the team.
would've been much easier for Rusfed to let go someone like Fedichkina, or like they already did with Kurakova.

I don't think it's really an option.
She should ask Turenko to take her back.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Don't forget that Nastia has been included in the national team, so she's amongst the 9 funded skaters in Russia.
If she would try to change countries, it can be a lengthy and tough process at this point, since she's already part of the team.
would've been much easier for Rusfed to let go someone like Fedichkina, or like they already did with Kurakova.

I don't think it's really an option.
She should ask Turenko to take her back.

Gubanova is on the reserve team according to the latest roster: https://fsrussia.ru/sbornaya.html

And I wouldn't be surprised she will be demoted and/or stripped of her reserve team level stipend if she breached any FFKKR contract rules regarding subordination, physical readiness and such.
Being expelled with these reasons from a prestigious rink by a high ranked trainer is no little thing for a sportsperson.

Is Gubanova active on Instagram and the like? Perhaps she will vent her heart there, but how much good that will do with all the skaters' media's being watched by those who only want to discredit them?

andromache

Record Breaker
If I was a Russian millionaire I would pay for Nastya's training anywhere in the world - probably in the US, Canada, or Japan.

I just think her options in Russia are very limited right now. Anyone other than maybe Mishin or Eteri would likely be a step backwards for her. Eteri's camp is full (and I would be worried that her camp's style would detract from what makes Nastya so special), and it's unclear if Mishin would take on a new student.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Just as a side note to the Mishin conversation, Nastya would undoubtedly be a solid #3 in the camp behind Liza and Sofia, but he does have other senior ladies. They may not be at the same caliber as his two GP competitors, but he has Alisa Fedichkina, Alina Solovyeva, and Maria Peredyorova right now too.

Ziotic

Medalist
Just as a side note to the Mishin conversation, Nastya would undoubtedly be a solid #3 in the camp behind Liza and Sofia, but he does have other senior ladies. They may not be at the same caliber as his two GP competitors, but he has Alisa Fedichkina, Alina Solovyeva, and Maria Peredyorova right now too.

Doesn’t he also have, excuse my spelling, Guilikova also?

Scott512

Record Breaker
Gubanova is on the reserve team according to the latest roster: https://fsrussia.ru/sbornaya.html

And I wouldn't be surprised she will be demoted and/or stripped of her reserve team level stipend if she breached any FFKKR contract rules regarding subordination, physical readiness and such.
Being expelled with these reasons from a prestigious rink by a high ranked trainer is no little thing for a sportsperson.

Is Gubanova active on Instagram and the like? Perhaps she will vent her heart there, but how much good that will do with all the skaters' media's being watched by those who only want to discredit them?

I don't want her venting on Instagram about her situation and her former coach. The only thing I want from Anastasia is a classy statement about working with that coach and cska for over a year. It's time to move on and find a coach that better suits her skill set which is obviously artistry flow feel for the music etc etc etc.

It's really like Buyanova is trying to torpedo this kid's career and that is sickening for a 56 year-old woman with all the success she's had to do that to a 16 year old girl trying to find her way in life and take her figure skating career to the next level.

I hope being back in St Petersburg helps Anastasia get the love she used to have for figure skating back. She needs a spark and a new coach so she can work with.

LenaRadiFan

On the Ice
Thanks for that great picture.

Nastya Polina Maria and Elena. They are 4 fabulous girls and talents. Clearly not at the Zhenya and Alina level of consistency and results and greatness. But how does Buyanova bomb with all four of them? That is unreal!It's time for Elena Buyanova to look in the mirror.
I think with the right coach, all four of these wonderful girls could've been on the Zhenya and Alina level of the stuff mentioned above...just sad it didn't work out for them. But then again, I wouldn't be too sure who'd be the right coach for them. Sometimes I go a bit crazy and imagine what would've become of Elena, had she trained under Eteri 🤭