2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 48 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

natsulian

Final Flight
The scoring lists I create are strictly based on highest scores achieved during the summer by the top juniors on and off the International Selection Pool. And yes, I did put Elsa Cheng’s novice score of 158 b/c I could not find any junior scores (this was before Philly). Also, I do have a list of the actual NQS scores, but they don’t take into account non-NQS events where the skater may have done MUCH better. Apart from Elsa’s novice score, I don’t recall ever mixing novice and junior scores. However, I do mix junior and senior scores because Alysa, Hanna, Pooja, Emilia, Sarah, and Gabriella are skating as seniors domestically, but juniors internationally, so when I make lists about the JUNIORS on the ISP, I include their senior scores but I do so by putting them into a different bracket altogether. Thus, I do not agree that “this thread is full of lists mixing novice scores with junior scores” when it’s only ONE skater. Elsa is skating as a novice officially, but the federation decided to put her on the ISP as a junior and sent her to junior competitions over the summer. Prior to Philly, she never even skated a junior program.

Without mixing the scores or qualifying and championship rounds, here is the list of the top 10 junior ladies:

1. Kate Wang, 164 (Philly) - Assigned to JGP Russia
2. Jessica Lin, 164 (Broadmoor) - Assigned to JGP USA
3. Ellen Slavicek, 163 (Glacier Falls) - On the ISP
4. Lindsay Thorngren, 161 (Milwaukee) - On the ISP
5. Finley Hawk, 151 (Southport)
6. Isabeau Levito, 151 (Broadmoor) - Not eligible internationally
7. Emma Coppess, 149 (LA Open)
8. Isabelle Inthisone, 148 (Philly) - Assigned to JGP Latvia
9. Mia Kalin, 147 (CCIA) - Not eligible internationally
10. Noelle Rosa, 146 (Broadmoor)

Notable ladies:
- Audrey Shin, 143 (Philly) - Assigned to JGP Russia
- Calista Choi, 138 (Milwaukee) - Assigned to JGP France

Senior ladies domestically, but junior internationally:
- Alysa Liu, 214 (Broadmoor) - Assigned to JGP USA
- Hanna Harrell, 182 (TX Cannon Open) - Assigned to JGP France
- Gabriella Izzo, 169 (Lake Placid) - Assigned to JGP Latvia
- Emilia Murdock, 146 (Glacier Falls) - Assigned to JGP USA

andromache

Record Breaker
If Gracie wants to return to competition this season, I think she should just start by qualifying for Nationals the old fashioned way, if she feels ready.

If she wanted a GP spot, I assume she would've competed this summer to try to get the SkAm host spot. But she didn't, so I'm assuming she wasn't/isn't competition-ready yet and wanted more time. Maybe she'll be ready by Regionals/Sectionals to compete well enough to qualify to Nationals. Even if she does go to Nationals and is relatively competition-ready, I will be shocked if she qualifies for 4CCs/Worlds this season....but she could still do a late season Senior B after Nationals and get on the radar for the 2020-2021 GP season and continue to work.

Even with all her jumps back and a perfect performance, I do not expect her to have the same level of skating skills, GOE on spins, transitions, etc. that she used to. Getting the jumps back is just one part of the equation. Doing Level 4 spins and steps is HARD. Of course, I'm sure she's worked on that. But those things have probably also taken a backseat to the jumps.

All that said, I'm so happy and proud of her for what she has accomplished so far. It's inspiring. And I'm dying to see her programs!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Amazing job for gracie on her progress, but i don't get the hype too much. Clearly, skating has changed so much. But the federatio just might send her out somewhere cause the federation just does whatever they want regarding the rules they make and are clearly "fair" on who they assign.

In the first place, the fact that the selection process for assignments is opaque to you doesn’t mean that there isn’t one. The important thing is that the athletes know what it is.

Second, since there’s no evidence that Gracie in particular is going to be sent out on international assignments this fall, or that she wants to, why even raise it?

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The story of the fourth place American crumbling under pressure... IE Mirai...

'''Tis a sad legacy..the fourth place finisher
1980 Denise Biellmann
1984 Tiffany Chin
1988 Jill Trenary
1992 Tonya Harding
1994 Surya Bonaly
1998 Maria Butyrskaya
2002 Sasha Cohen
2006 Fumie Suguri
2010 Mirai Nagasu
2014 Gracie Gold
2018 Satoko Miyahara

A talented group for sure, all would have deserved a medal. Unfortunately for the US, this meant 6 of 11 times a US skater finished fourth in deep fields.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Apart from Elsa’s novice score, I don’t recall ever mixing novice and junior scores. …

Without mixing the scores or qualifying and championship rounds, here is the list of the top 10 junior ladies:

1. Kate Wang, 164 (Philly) - Assigned to JGP Russia
2. Jessica Lin, 164 (Broadmoor) - Assigned to JGP USA
3. Ellen Slavicek, 163 (Glacier Falls) - On the ISP
4. Lindsay Thorngren, 161 (Milwaukee) - On the ISP
5. Finley Hawk, 151 (Southport)
6. Isabeau Levito, 151 (Broadmoor) - Not eligible internationally
7. Emma Coppess, 149 (LA Open)
8. Isabelle Inthisone, 148 (Philly) - Assigned to JGP Latvia
9. Mia Kalin, 147 (CCIA) - Not eligible internationally
10. Noelle Rosa, 146 (Broadmoor) ...

Lindsay Thorngren's 161 at Skate Milwaukee was a NAC score -- for novices.

(So happens that she later scored 161 as a junior at Philadelphia Summer Championships, but before then, her NAC score was another novice score being mixed with junior scores for other skaters.)

... Elsa is skating as a novice officially, but the federation decided to put her on the ISP as a junior and sent her to junior competitions over the summer. ...

With the exceptions (for singles skaters) of Philadelphia Summer International (for seniors and juniors) and NAC (for novices), the federation does not "send" skaters to non-JGP summer competitions.

For example, for Philadelphia Summer Championships, skaters and their coaches can decide for themselves whether skaters will compete. The federation does not send/assign them.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
With the exceptions (for singles skaters) of Philadelphia Summer International (for seniors and juniors) and NAC (for novices), the federation does not "send" skaters to non-JGP summer competitions.

They sent athletes to the Asian Open last year. (And I think the year before).

halulupu

Final Flight
we all have to remember doing a jump by itself is one thing, doing it in a program in competition is another beast. gracie knows what it takes to compete at the highest levels in the sport, so if she does decide to compete again, i hope she can channel the same mental state of mind she had before. not to mention it takes A LOT of training, stamina and muscle memory to do a 3+3 in a program on top of everything else.

you are right doing a 3-3 in competition is a totally other monster. On the the other hand the 3lz-3t gracies coach posted is miles better than any 3-3 we have been seeing so far from bell. so the potential to be the top american girl again is definetly there.

natsulian

Final Flight
You are right, Lindsay did score 161 at an NAC event. I forgot to update that she scored 161 at Philly, another NQS event. Although she did not fall, it seems she was hit hard by under-rotation calls according to people who went to the event. Will be interesting to see how she’ll clean those up by next year. Next time I will make sure to not include NAC scores. Simple fix.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
They sent athletes to the Asian Open last year. (And I think the year before).

True.

The preceding conversation was about lists for this year, and I should have been explicit in that particular post that I again was speaking in terms of this year. (Philadelphia Summer International did not have competition for juniors last year.)

You are right, Lindsay did score 161 at an NAC event. I forgot to update that she scored 161 at Philly, another NQS event. Although she did not fall, it seems she was hit hard by under-rotation calls according to people who went to the event. Will be interesting to see how she’ll clean those up by next year. Next time I will make sure to not include NAC scores. Simple fix.

You are free of course to do whatever you want with your lists -- to mix or not to mix.
(As I've said before, I do appreciate the annotations that provide competition info along with the scores. Thank you for including.)

I just found it surprising that I don't recall(?) any previous reaction from nataliebunard to mixing of scores -- but my mention of a higher score from Milly that was a novice score did get a reaction from nataliebunard.

mrrice

Record Breaker
If Gracie wants to return to competition this season, I think she should just start by qualifying for Nationals the old fashioned way, if she feels ready.

If she wanted a GP spot, I assume she would've competed this summer to try to get the SkAm host spot. But she didn't, so I'm assuming she wasn't/isn't competition-ready yet and wanted more time. Maybe she'll be ready by Regionals/Sectionals to compete well enough to qualify to Nationals. Even if she does go to Nationals and is relatively competition-ready, I will be shocked if she qualifies for 4CCs/Worlds this season....but she could still do a late season Senior B after Nationals and get on the radar for the 2020-2021 GP season and continue to work.

Even with all her jumps back and a perfect performance, I do not expect her to have the same level of skating skills, GOE on spins, transitions, etc. that she used to. Getting the jumps back is just one part of the equation. Doing Level 4 spins and steps is HARD. Of course, I'm sure she's worked on that. But those things have probably also taken a backseat to the jumps.

All that said, I'm so happy and proud of her for what she has accomplished so far. It's inspiring. And I'm dying to see her programs!

I agree. If I were coaching Gracie I would have her out there competing as often as possible. Now that she has her triple triple back she needs to perform stress free and that can only happen with repetition.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I agree. If I were coaching Gracie I would have her out there competing as often as possible. Now that she has her triple triple back she needs to perform stress free and that can only happen with repetition.

I have a feeling that Gracie will be up to doing a SP (with last year's program) in another month. But to get through her FS would be daunting and she would have to have it ready by Oct (right?) for regionals. I think that's a big ask though it would be nice. Whatever, I hope she's happy with her return.

princessalica

Final Flight
Someone already said that they'd heard that she would be doing Regionals to qualify. I think she is going to prove she earned this come back every step of the way.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I have a feeling that Gracie will be up to doing a SP (with last year's program) in another month. But to get through her FS would be daunting and she would have to have it ready by Oct (right?) for regionals. I think that's a big ask though it would be nice. Whatever, I hope she's happy with her return.

She needs to be ready by October if she wants to compete this season. It seems like the plan last year was to rush things and expect to get in form between Rostelecom and Nationals, and we all saw how that turned out. If she's sort of halfway there in the fall, she will miss the opportunity to make the modifications necessary to improve her programs because she will still be trying to improve her stamina and consistency with the jumps. She doesn't have to be the old Gracie to make it out of Regionals or Sectionals, but it's a standard that she needs to surpass to rightfully earn her spot at Nationals.

Shani

On the Ice
With that triple triple and an eastern sectionals senior score she will be able to make Nationals with ease. But it would be better if she did some exhibition skates at competition to get rid of the nerves and get judges input first.

Tavi...

Record Breaker

Based on what though? Inside info? I mean you could be totally right, but you can’t really judge based on her coach’s Instagram clips. She could have the stamina to get through a FS right now but may not be posting about it.