2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 47 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Gracie was also burdened with a lot of expectations after finishing 4th in Sochi, especially because of Yuna's retirement and pretty much all the other stars of that event (Adelina, Julia, Caro, Mao) started to fade away. Gracie was a medal favorite in basically every event after 2014. At least now, if she comes back, fans may have more reasonable expectations of what she can achieve. Internationally, with so many women passing Gracie in the base value of their programs, she will never be able to skate defensively to hold on to a lead, and I think that would actually be an advantage for Gracie because it would keep her on the attack. Despite people questioning her mental toughness, Gracie has skated some magnificent programs when the pressure was off, so it will be interesting to see how she is able to compete now.

tosca

On the Ice
Gracie was also burdened with a lot of expectations after finishing 4th in Sochi, especially because of Yuna's retirement and pretty much all the other stars of that event (Adelina, Julia, Caro, Mao) started to fade away. Gracie was a medal favorite in basically every event after 2014. At least now, if she comes back, fans may have more reasonable expectations of what she can achieve. Internationally, with so many women passing Gracie in the base value of their programs, she will never be able to skate defensively to hold on to a lead, and I think that would actually be an advantage for Gracie because it would keep her on the attack. Despite people questioning her mental toughness, Gracie has skated some magnificent programs when the pressure was off, so it will be interesting to see how she is able to compete now.

The story of the fourth place American crumbling under pressure... IE Mirai...

Roo87

Medalist
Not even close. People are being really delusional right now. Mariah and Bradie are at their peaks and conditioned mentally, emotionally and physically to be able to compete at high level events. They don’t have anything to “relearn” like Gracie does. When we last saw her skate a full short program everything about her skating was mess. Jumps spins footwork-everything was so far from what it needs to be to complete at a high level. Also even at her peak Gracie was a poor mental competitor. Mistakes would cause her programs to unravel. Even if she can do one 3-3 now we have no clue how she will actually compete. And honestly after reading all the articles that came out about her last year I’m kind of shocked that people even think it’s a good idea that she’s trying to come back at all. Competitive figure skating nearly ruined her life and women’s skating has only gotten more cutthroat and unrealistic since she last competed in 2017

I feel the same about Daleman. Although her downfall wasn't as harsh as Gracie's, it's obvious from her instagram that she's still very insecure. One part of me wants her to come back in full force (for the sake of Canadian figure skating), but I hope it doesn't hurt her in the longterm.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I don’t think we need to be overly negative or overly enthusiastic with regard to Gracie. She is showing some great improvement and that deserves to be recognized. Does it mean she is going to swoop in and beat Bradie and Mariah and get 3 spots? No, that would be really unrealistic given that we haven’t seen Gracie compete and knowing what she’s been through.

However, i don’t think it’s unrealistic to say that if she keeps improving and if she chooses to compete then qualifying for nationals and making a respectable showing there that she can be happy with is a stronger possibility now than several months ago.

I hope she keeps skating for herself and enjoying her skating.

nataliebunard12

Rinkside
Amazing job for gracie on her progress, but i don't get the hype too much. Clearly, skating has changed so much. But the federatio just might send her out somewhere cause the federation just does whatever they want regarding the rules they make and are clearly "fair" on who they assign.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Amazing job for gracie on her progress, but i don't get the hype too much. Clearly, skating has changed so much. But the federatio just might send her out somewhere cause the federation just does whatever they want regarding the rules they make and are clearly "fair" on who they assign.

It's exciting because she is finally showing glimpses of her previous form. The lutz combo was the hardest element she did in competition at her peak, and she's landing them again. I don't think any of us believe that she can go out and nail a seven triple LP right now, but at least she now is able to execute every building block of that kind of program.

figurefan0726

Final Flight
Wow! She even has a nice delay, and it's hard to tell from this angle, but her edge looks inside or at least flat. I do hope they work on the leg wrap, but she's looking great!

Her edge is getting better! Definitely better than taking off with an outside edge on her flip

figurefan0726

Final Flight
No. She needed to compete during the summer. The spot has likely already been given to Amber.

Yeah. According to the skaters that train at her rink, her first competition is likely going to regionals (I think). I still don’t clearly understand the new qualifying series for US Nats [emoji28]

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

She’s not on the international selection pool. So they can’t just send her anywhere.

Last edited:

nataliebunard12

Rinkside
She’s not on the international selection pool. So they can’t just send her anywhere.

Well they could if they wanted. They sent emilia murdock to her first international. At that time she wasn't on the pool either, and her highest total score was 126.30 in salt lake city ( 3rd overall).

nataliebunard12

Rinkside
Wow! She even has a nice delay, and it's hard to tell from this angle, but her edge looks inside or at least flat. I do hope they work on the leg wrap, but she's looking great!

I believe this video was recorded a while ago because gracies coach (vincent restencourt) is currently in france right now. ( from his recent instagram story)