Effects of ISU's media deal - Figure Skating on CBC but not Eurosport | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Effects of ISU's media deal - Figure Skating on CBC but not Eurosport

1111bm

Final Flight
The reason for the concern was that there was not going to be the Eurovision stream! There were no references to Skate America on their streaming site, when normally that Information would have been available by now. And due to the change in broadcast rights and the clear difficulty bigger broadcasters were having negotiating, the fear that Eurovision wasn't going to be providing the stream was well-founded.

See, I didn't know that, I just assumed it was gonna be the same as last season.

If they were to show even practice streams on that youtube channel, that would be amazing!! But I don't think it's very likely...?

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I don’t understand what’s going on. Will people in America be able to watch a livestream on YouTube or will we be geo-blocked? TSL seems to be mad about something, like, the rest of the world will get to watch skating but here in the US we won’t be able to? Is NBC still gonna show their typical 2-hour highlights of the GP on weekends?

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I don’t understand what’s going on. Will people in America be able to watch a livestream on YouTube or will we be geo-blocked?
NBC Gold have the broadcasting rights, yes? So then, normally speaking, yes, you will be geoblocked.
You could probably get past the youtube geoblock, but that's another story.

Tutto

Record Breaker
I am sorry but I can't share the jubilation here, folks,... figure skating was just wiped from our big screens for good and no one seem to care? :scratch2: No BESP commentary in itself flags the end of the era, of the times (long bygone yes but still) when FS was a major sport in Europe...:(

the ISU are really quite clever -they let us go mad in thinking that we would get nothing at all, then tell us that we can have that much after all and everyone is mad with joy - sorry I am not with you on that and I still would like the answers from ISU how come they fail to secure a deal with any of the broadcasters?

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
everyone is mad with joy

That's a gross generalization. I'd say a lot of people are not happy at all, and a lot probably are pretty skeptical, because we don't really know what to expect. "youtube" doesn't really tell me much. Audio commentaries? Archived streams? Videos of all the skaters' program? Practices? Sudden and unexpected geoblocks for whatever unfathomable reason? Endless youtube commercials???! (who knows, right? How are they planning to make money?)

Personally, I'm rather annoyed because I paid thirty euros for a renewal of my Eurosport subscription back in July, thinking I'd get to watch FS. I don't use it to watch any other sports (except hopefully Tokyo2020... which, come to think of it, doesn't start until late July 2020, which make these 2019-2020 thirty euros a complete waste of good money... and I don't even have the guarantee that my 'normal' subscription will give access to the Tokyo2020 content!).

pearly

Record Breaker
I am sorry but I can't share the jubilation here, folks,... figure skating was just wiped from our big screens for good and no one seem to care? :scratch2: No BESP commentary in itself flags the end of the era, of the times (long bygone yes but still) when FS was a major sport in Europe...:(

the ISU are really quite clever -they let us go mad in thinking that we would get nothing at all, then tell us that we can have that much after all and everyone is mad with joy - sorry I am not with you on that and I still would like the answers from ISU how come they fail to secure a deal with any of the broadcasters?

It's been wiped from the big screens for most of the world for a while now.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
That's a gross generalization. I'd say a lot of people are not happy at all, and a lot probably are pretty skeptical, because we don't really know what to expect. "youtube" doesn't really tell me much. Audio commentaries? Archived streams? Videos of all the skaters' program? Practices? Sudden and unexpected geoblocks for whatever unfathomable reason? Endless youtube commercials???! (who knows, right? How are they planning to make money?)

Personally, I'm rather annoyed because I paid thirty euros for a renewal of my Eurosport subscription back in July, thinking I'd get to watch FS. I don't use it to watch any other sports (except hopefully Tokyo2020... which, come to think of it, doesn't start until late July 2020, which make these 2019-2020 thirty euros a complete waste of good money).

You could always complain and try to get a refund, like ladyjane did:

I received another reply from Eurosport and they apologised for letting me think earlier on they would be broadcasting FS events, but they are not because of the thing with rights. They also helped me in eliminating my subscription because I had renewed my Eurosport Player subscription in response to their earlier reply. I will also be getting my money back. Still very unhappy, but at least I am no longer paying for Snooker! Like some other posters, I have also asked the ISU about this. No response so far.

The difference, of course, is that ladyjane renewed recently, whereas you renewed back in July. So, they mightn't agree to a refund in your case. But, it would at least be worth a try.

Let us know how you get on.

CaroLiza_fan

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
As long as the streams are archived, okay by me. But the music copyright for public comps is such utterly absurd nonsense, why would someone whine about their music being promoted this way to fans like me who don't listen to the radio or watch music vids at all. Especially if said music comes cut or shortened, and is interspersed by the sounds of skates scratching, audience clapping/cheering, commenter announcing stuff...
Yes, skating will be accessible to everyone this way, all over the word, and for free, and will be accessible even to technology illiterate folk who balk at the idea of getting VPN. But I agree that renewing some deal with the TVs for next season sounds like a good idea. People who aren't already fans likely won't bother finding a YT channel to watch FS, and some people of the older generation, like my gran who doesn't have a PC at all, are cut off FS this way.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
whereas you renewed back in July. So, they mightn't agree to a refund in your case.

I haven't bothered trying for exactly the reason you mention. Unfortunately, I had no real choice. I wanted to make use of the extra cheap subscription fee, which I wouldn't have gotten if I'd ended my subscription and started it closer to, well, now. I'm not sure what a subscription costs at the moment, but pretty sure it's more than 30 euros. :rolleye:
It's okay, I'll just have to watch a lot of winter sports like skiing and ski jumping the coming months to make up for it, I guess. I'm sure I'll enjoy some of it, just have to bother to watch it, hehe.

ragdoll

On the Ice
I'm seriously angry with the ISU for this. Do they really expect to get more people interested in the sport this way? Ridiculous prices for an extra cable channel just to watch the skating and ridiculous prices to attend competitions live. This is no longer a sport for a person struggling alone to make ends meet on a small pension.

I want Eurosport with the BESP commentators I have loved for twenty years and had been looking forward to the new season.

russell30

Final Flight
I don’t understand what’s going on. Will people in America be able to watch a livestream on YouTube or will we be geo-blocked? TSL seems to be mad about something, like, the rest of the world will get to watch skating but here in the US we won’t be able to? Is NBC still gonna show their typical 2-hour highlights of the GP on weekends?

That’s patriotism for you, the big US comes first and the rest of the world follow, his comments can be quite annoying at times, both there American voices drain me, and they can never understand the British accent , but us brits can understand them And we both speak the same language, the mind boggles...:shocked:

Tutto

Record Breaker
I'm seriously angry with the ISU for this. Do they really expect to get more people interested in the sport this way? Ridiculous prices for an extra cable channel just to watch the skating and ridiculous prices to attend competitions live. This is no longer a sport for a person struggling alone to make ends meet on a small pension.

I want Eurosport with the BESP commentators I have loved for twenty years and had been looking forward to the new season.

:thumbsup:

The season is cancelled for me - :(:sad21:
I will be looking into how to get Russian TV channels but unfortunately while I originally got Sky for watching Eurosport I got hooked on some other channels and would not like to be parted with them now (my last addiction is 'Without A Trace' on Sky Atlantic) . I am not sure you can use 2 TV dishes so I am not too optimistic .. sigh ...

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker

If they hire a good commentator like Ted Barton for the ISU stream, we could still have excellent commentary. (I'd take him any moment over the Czech Eurosport clowns that we had for years) But you're right in that a free internet stream is for most, but not for everyone. And definitely not for those who want commentary in their native languages.

Also, I dearly hope we don't get a commercial after every skate on the ISU YT channel, like Eurosport often does...

Gourlie

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
If they hire a good commentator like Ted Barton for the ISU stream, we could still have excellent commentary. (I'd take him any moment over the Czech Eurosport clowns that we had for years) But you're right in that a free internet stream is for most, but not for everyone. And definitely not for those who want commentary in their native languages.

Also, I dearly hope we don't get a commercial after every skate on the ISU YT channel, like Eurosport often does...

Yeah, Czech Eurosport was almost unwatchable due to "comenators". :rofl2: Thank God that we finally don't have to pay for that terrible commentary. We can watch via YouTube now. :pray:

Miller

Final Flight

I'm with you on this one. Essentially the Youtube stuff is just a better version, fingers crossed, of the Eurovision site, basically a way of watching figure skating if no one has the TV rights in your country.

However what will older people who are technically illiterate do, what will casual fans (who have never even heard of GS or FSU) do, will they even think that the ISU (if that's who they know runs the sport) has a Youtube channel, plus what about the very youngest viewers who might watch with their mums and dads and be attracted to/take up the sport, will they find it on Youtube or not?

Really it's vital that skating is still on TV as much as possible, and that you have things like Youtube/Eurovision/Eurosport Player just as backup for those things that aren't shown on standard TV.

Roast Toast

Medalist
Yeah, while I sympathize with the people that liked their country's coverage (I always like to grab the B.ESP uncles' commentary of my faves!), I sure as hell won't miss mine. Youtube is such an accessible platform that I think it could really grow the younger audience, especially with no hostile chat to scare newbs away. Are there really that many computer illiterate people that only watch on conventional platforms? If you can watch bootleg Russian streams, you can type "ISU youtube" into google.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom

I have to agree to a certain extent. I’m still hopeful with the BBC at least do more than highlights for Worlds and Euros.