2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 670 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Scott512

Record Breaker
It can happen without a warning. Alina had a grow spurr after the olympics, she grew 7cm in four or five months and her body matured. We can’t predict when the 3A will have mature bodies.

It's unbelievable how Alina kept it together after growing 7 cm which is / 2 inches if my math is correct. It will be very interesting to see what Alina can do this season in her free season to enjoy the skating and not suffer like she did last year.

But if that is true, why doesn't Anna get +rep on her second 4Lutz?

The two jumps that Anna repeats are the 4Lz and the 3Lz. She repeats only one quad jump (the 4Lz) and does two different triple/quad jumps altogether.

composer

On the Ice
But here is the part that I am uncertain about. Was this a conspiracy to prop her up at Skate America or a conspiracy to tear her down at Cup of China? It is hard to keep all the conspiracy theories straight.

See? That's what I am talking about. Are you "pretty sure" or are these the same judges? It would be easy to find out. Just look up the names of the judges and see if they are the same or not.

But instead we go with "I'm pretty sure they are the same" or "I'm pretty sure they are different" and think that we have said something. :confused:

I’m pretty sure the SkAm judges were anti-Russian a few weeks ago, however I’m also pretty sure they traveled back in time this weekend and remedied their mistake hence reinstating their sterling reputation.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Indeed it does and makes me wonder if they are working on a loop with her as well.

It’s an interesting comparison of two (quad) lutzes. Shows take off edge during preparation and moment of take off, prerotation and position of the picking blade.

Now I'm beginning to wonder why people are outraged by unclear edge calls when that doesn't even look like a Lutz, nevermind one with a flat edge.

If it was possible I'd mark that "unclear what jump you're actually doing there"

I love Anna but that technique is not good.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
"Strict panel" should have called flat edge here http://prntscr.com/puq0z6
But it did't. I wonder why?

Is this all you joined for?

Is that supposed to be Satoko?
You know what maybe they should have called her, but they were too busy slapping her with UR calls. They only have a short amount of time to review things and had their hands full enough with her landings.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Good question! I guess it’s because it’s counted as more of an outside edge than that of Anna’s somehow.
I don’t think there’s any conspiracy specifically, but the selective calling of both edges and urs is just upsetting.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Is it okay to be both happy for Anna because she won her second-straight gold medal on the Grand Prix circuit and a little disappointed because she only scored 226 when many think it should have been a much higher?

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker

That is a minimal outside edge lol. That is why they did not call it. You can see the slight tilt on the blade and boot.
Here you can see it even more when she firsts picks her toe in.
https://imgur.com/rtNdynW

Your photo shows the moment after she has already picked her toe in and is starting to turn.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Good question! I guess it’s because it’s counted as more of an outside edge than that of Anna’s somehow.
I don’t think there’s any conspiracy specifically, but the selective calling of both edges and urs is just upsetting.

Satoko and numerous other skaters were showered with UR calls. Some got 3, a couple got 4 or 5.
Repeating myself but there really is only so much time they can spend reviewing.

It is okay for us we can do it over and over for as long as possible, people still argue the edges and URs years later.

Judges and tech panel have just MINUTES to make their calls and when they've got a lot to review, do you think they can possibly catch absolutely everything?

Anna had the least UR of anyone, by the way.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, yeah, as always.

Are you actually going to debate properly or just throw contemptuous one liners around ?

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Is it okay to be both happy for Anna because she won her second-straight gold medal on the Grand Prix circuit and a little disappointed because she only scored 226 when many think it should have been a much higher?

Yes. But pretending there was nothing to deduct and that theres a massive conspiracy is going too far

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Satoko and numerous other skaters were showered with UR calls. Some got 3, a couple got 4 or 5.
Repeating myself but there really is only so much time they can spend reviewing.

It is okay for us we can do it over and over for as long as possible, people still argue the edges and URs years later.

Judges and tech panel have just MINUTES to make their calls and when they've got a lot to review, do you think they can possibly catch absolutely everything?

Anna had the least UR of anyone, by the way.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you actually going to debate properly or just throw contemptious one liners around ?

There’s always some sort of excuse why panel does a very weird selective calling. It just shouldn’t be there in the first place. And Satoko had more URs than those that were called, imo. And her edges too.
Somehow, it now looks like we have different standards for execution for different skaters. Some can still get away with things, while others are hammered for things they don’t even have (I.e. Zagitova’s ‘e’ call). That’s an absurd situation to be in.

E

eterialskater

Now I'm beginning to wonder why people are outraged by unclear edge calls when that doesn't even look like a Lutz, nevermind one with a flat edge.

If it was possible I'd mark that "unclear what jump you're actually doing there"

I love Anna but that technique is not good.

Of course you love Anna. You can't stress that enough. You've gone from scrutinizing her edge to questioning whether she actually landed a quad loop. A far more difficult jump than a quad lutz btw and a jump where the edge is irrelevant. She should have landed that instead. I'd be far more impressed seeing only Hanyu seems to be the only one doing it.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Lengthy “whole novel“ like post incoming. Be warned. :)

I didn‘t have any time whatsoever to watch CoC live but I did check the results and watched videos of the top 3 so far, which I felt was fair in placements.

Now, onto the Russian ladies:

Anna is such a sweetheart. Congrats on winning her second GP Gold and a ticket to the GPF. I admire her so much whenever I see an interview with her, especially if it‘s in English. She seems poised, calm and intelligent and her English is excellent as well. What a great young lady.

As for her skating... I have to say I‘m surprised I don‘t enjoy it more. Like, she has that quality that I absolutely love in skaters - understanding and a feel for the music. However, her overall skating skills and the fact that she never seems to point her toes while she skates make me enjoy her less than I probably should, given how good she is. Her spins also need work, the last two in her program were just not good - lots of traveling and I think she lost levels too. Which I think is interesting if we compare her to Sasha who I always thought was the weakest in spins of the 3A. Her positions are not as interesting as Anna‘s or especially Aliona‘s, her flexibility isn‘t as good but she never loses levels and she also doesn‘t travel. So overall that solid stability will get her more points, even if it doesn‘t have the sort of special quality Anna would have.

Her jumps are very impressive in terms of BV, of course, two 3-3 in the second half, two 4Lzs. However, I think the scores she got today and yesterday were fair. Her lutz IS !, I don‘t know why people are acting like it isn‘t. It‘s flat, but not inside, like Alina‘s. Like Aliona‘s too. Sasha is the only one of the 4A with a true outside edge on the lutz. So, just because Anna lands a 4Lz it doesn’t mean that her edge issue should be ignored.

Many of her jumps also have next to zero flow out of the landings; especially her two 3-3 combos today. That’s why I do think that the low GOE was justified. She still got a huge score and she can contend with the best there are in the world. But as much as I like her, there are issues with her skating and the judges ignoring it until now didn‘t do her a favor. I think her score (and the deductions that came with it) were fair and deserved. Others won’t agree here. That‘s okay. Thankfully, judges decide in the end and we don‘t have to. We‘re probably way too biased. :shrug:

Anyway, Anna’s a hard worker and I‘m sure Eteri and her will have a look on that and correct it.

As for Liza.. well, I just love the fact that she went back to her old FS. It shows what she‘s good at: performing. The old issues are still there, lack of skating skills, transitions and the like so her PCS aren‘t exactly high. But I prefer this program. The choreo sequence is fire! The audience loved her. Great stuff.

It‘s a shame she made so many mistakes in the SP, it took away her chance for the Silver. But losing out on GPF, while a shame, doesn‘t have to be a tragedy. If she uses the time to work on the important areas, it could actually benefit her. She is technically impressive but I‘m still not sure about her layout. SP is fine (I‘m assuming the 2T was a mistake and was meant to be 3F+3T instead), her flip edge also looked better than at Finlandia. But the FS? Why would she do 2T? One, I can see for the 3A. But the combos otherwise just don‘t make much sense. 3Lz+2A sequence is just painful, it loses her so many points. She also doesn’t do a 3S in her program, does she? Maybe she could use the time until Nationals to train a 3Lz+Eu+3S. It would benefit her a lot if she could do this in the FS instead of the second 2T. Her spins and step sequences are still... well, not exactly fun to watch. Her skating skills are just lacking and especially the last spin is just not good-looking, sorry.

But she has worked on some of the things, so she is willing to change and learn! Her 3A has now transitions into it, it‘s not as telegraphed as before. What I think is funny is how people are like: “she has no transitions, bad skater!“ and when she actually makes the effort and adds transitions they‘re suddenly all: “what would she do that for? Now she lost her consistency! What a stupid move!“ Like, decide, please. Do you want her to listen to the judges and make changes or not? Her transitions score is still the lowest of het PCS and rightfully so but at least she‘s willing to improve. She‘s just not 15 anymore, changes will take time with an adult body. These improvements should have been made a long time ago but they weren‘t. She‘s trying to catch up now and good for her. I think she deserves respect for that. She could just give up and leave the field to the young guns like so many seem to want. But I think it‘s great that we have some older skaters stick around and I hope they continue to skate for seasons to come.

You‘re a brave soul for posting this. Or you like drama. Maybe both.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
You all have been asked multiple times to knock it off with the conspiracy posts.

Even if you hadn't please note: It is boring to the vast majority of users here.

Also it clogs up this very busy thread.

Inconsistencies in edge and UR calls happen to all skaters. We have had threads about it (many of them). One could use the search feature and find one of them and add to that thread rather than pontificate in this one.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Of course you love Anna. You can't stress that enough. You've gone from scrutinizing her edge to questioning whether she actually landed a quad loop. A far more difficult jump than a quad lutz btw and a jump where the edge is irrelevant. She should have landed that instead. I'd be far more impressed seeing only Hanyu seems to be the only one doing it.

Absolutely not what I said. Another one who deliberately changes what I said.

I said her Lutz technique is loop-like. Of course I know it is supposed to be a Lutz.

You can love a skater but be realistic about their flaws.

Nobody is perfect after all