2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 1114 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

macy

Record Breaker
This is something I wondered. Is jumping technique on in-line skaters similar to figure skating? So, if you do a Salchow, will it be roughly the same? Or will it mess up your on-ice technique if you train on in-line skates too much? :think:

i would think jumping would mostly be the same. Sasha's roller blades have "toe picks" which make them similar to a skate, and i can imagine the technique would be the same for most jumps- maybe not sal and loop though. i think they would be the most challenging.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
i would think jumping would mostly be the same. Sasha's roller blades have "toe picks" which make them similar to a skate, and i can imagine the technique would be the same for most jumps- maybe not sal and loop though. i think they would be the most challenging.

She answered a little on this topic in her latest interview: https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?61403-Alexandra-Trusova&p=2594815#post2594815

Sof'ya Samodelkina also jumped doubles in her yard using inline skates. The girls probably have some older boots fitted with inline wheels and the nylon toe stopper.

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice
This is something I wondered. Is jumping technique on in-line skaters similar to figure skating? So, if you do a Salchow, will it be roughly the same? Or will it mess up your on-ice technique if you train on in-line skates too much? :think:

I roller skate on quad skates. I have never tried inline skates. I think that it is definitely different than ice skating though. The jump technique for toe jumps is roughly the same, but for salchow and loop certain skaters might have to adjust their technique more because there is more friction between the wheels and the ground. For example, when I jump a salchow, I don’t have my free leg on the ground as I am cutting the edge. I jump only off of my left leg. It’s the same thing for the loop. Roller skaters are taught not to put their free leg on the ground because it isn’t the more efficient technique for jumping. In addition to the edge jump differences, roller skates are heavier than ice skates as well. So it may be a bit of an adjustment for ice skaters to try to jump on roller skates. It is extremely difficult to jump triples on roller skates, so I don’t know if we will see any ice skaters jumping triples.

Now spins on inline skates I don’t understand very well, so I wouldn’t be able to answer that question. Inline skates are not as popular as quad skates are, so I normally don’t get to watch inline skaters at competitions.

macy

Record Breaker
I roller skate on quad skates. I have never tried inline skates. I think that it is definitely different than ice skating though. The jump technique for toe jumps is roughly the same, but for salchow and loop certain skaters might have to adjust their technique more because there is more friction between the wheels and the ground. For example, when I jump a salchow, I don’t have my free leg on the ground as I am cutting the edge. I jump only off of my left leg. It’s the same thing for the loop. Roller skaters are taught not to put their free leg on the ground because it isn’t the more efficient technique for jumping. In addition to the edge jump differences, roller skates are heavier than ice skates as well. So it may be a bit of an adjustment for ice skaters to try to jump on roller skates. It is extremely difficult to jump triples on roller skates, so I don’t know if we will see any ice skaters jumping triples.

Now spins on inline skates I don’t understand very well, so I wouldn’t be able to answer that question. Inline skates are not as popular as quad skates are, so I normally don’t get to watch inline skaters at competitions.

don't you have to spin on your heel with quad skates? that just blows my mind :eek:

macy

Record Breaker
a random thought i had while reading a translation for one of Aliona's recent interviews...

could we see the onset of puberty for some athletes with this time away from the ice? when you stop training, your body changes rather quickly...even though they are still doing what they can, is the reduction in activity enough to spark body changes?

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
a random thought i had while reading a translation for one of Aliona's recent interviews...

could we see the onset of puberty for some athletes with this time away from the ice? when you stop training, your body changes rather quickly...even though they are still doing what they can, is the reduction in activity enough to spark body changes?

Obviously. Many of the young girls are on the brink of menarche, and a reduced training load will set a chain of events in motion that will take a while for them to adapt themselves to. Right when they want to start the new season, they might not want to have to deal with such disruptions.

So that's why measured food intake and proper, guided, physical exercise is so important, for the older girls as well. Elite skaters are trained to the same regimen as top gymnasts.

bytheriver

On the Ice

I was an elite gymnast for a while back in the day (I don’t even want to think about how long it has been) and when I stopped doing 30 hours/week of training I developed very quickly. I’m guessing my body was just relieved to not be getting banged up and pushed so hard every day, that it quickly went through all the changes it had been putting off. It wasn’t an issue for me because I desperately wanted to have a “normal” high school experience and meet boys. But it could be potentially devastating for a ladies skater who is taking time off the ice. I’m not sure how long it takes to cause problems - in gymnastics we say 3 weeks off is enough to set it into motion.

Scott512

Record Breaker

Yes Macy not only puberty but also these kids bones and ligaments will have a chance to grow without the daily hard on the body training they undergo everyday.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Yes Macy not only puberty but also these kids bones and ligaments will have a chance to grow without the daily hard on the body training they undergo everyday.

I am a gymnast and yes, even if you are dieting and excersizing regularly, ther eis no way to replicate your original daily load so they will grow during these times. I hpoe it won't come in spurts, but they will grow and it will pose more of a challenge than it would have originally

macy

Record Breaker
well, i think it will be very interesting when everyone returns to competition. maybe those who want to see ultra si go away will get their wish...

Fluture

Record Breaker

Thank you, this is very fascinating. I was asking about Salchow specifically because I couldn‘t imagine how the technique would work if you‘re not on ice. Spinning and jumping on quad skates, from what I‘ve seen, looks really difficult, so I really admire you for being able to do that. I would probably break my bones if I ever even tried. :laugh:

well, i think it will be very interesting when everyone returns to competition. maybe those who want to see ultra si go away will get their wish...

No, I don‘t think so. We have to consider that ice rinks will probably open a long time before competitions with many thousands of spectators will be possible. So, the skaters should have some time to adjust and train in small groups (whenever that will be allowed, we cannot know yet) before we can expect international competitions to take place. Maybe they will struggle more than they would have without this pandemic but I doubt it will make ultra c elements disappear just like that.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

That's why they have to train seriously during those times. And it's good to have a sparring ;)

https://vk.com/eteritutberidze?z=video-97272391_456244670/pl_wall_-97272391

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice
don't you have to spin on your heel with quad skates? that just blows my mind :eek:

Not for all of the spins :laugh: For roller skaters, we have to press hard edges in order to spin. From my understanding spinning in ice skating is mostly just pressure on the ball of your foot. For roller skating we have to put our pressure more so on the toe or heel wheels on our skates. But that doesn’t mean that we spin on only two wheels all the time. In roller skating we have the basic upright spins, sit spins, and camels the same as ice skating, but as the spins become more difficult there are differences. As you mentioned one of the harder spins is a heel camel where the only wheels on the floor are the heel wheels. Then there are also inverts, those are kind of hard to explain so maybe I will try to find a video. Also doing a beillman (i spelled that wrong) is pretty rare on roller skates because it is so hard to do. An I-spin is also a rare spin for roller skaters to do, some roller skaters try to do it but they do it incorrectly. Instead of spinning on their wheels they will spin on their toe stops, which is not a good technique.

The invert is the third spin that this girl does:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kuQomK2lm_I

ruga

Final Flight
It will be interesting to see how longer periods of not training will affect the skaters, especially those who are still developing. If they're still training intensively then the impact won't be too bad - after all, some skaters spend months even without off ice exercises when they're injured.

On the other hand, older skaters might get a chance to fight for a place in the team if quarantine impacts youngsters' development. Also, it could potentially give advantage to skaters training in countries that haven't imposed such strict quarantine laws (Japan and maybe South Korea?).

This is actually a sobering thought. The training that these athletes go through prevents normal maturation and stunts bone growth. Is this a good thing?

bytheriver

On the Ice
This is actually a sobering thought. The training that these athletes go through prevents normal maturation and stunts bone growth. Is this a good thing?

As an old lady now with hip issues and arthritis, I can tell you it isn’t. But I wouldn’t change it - I enjoyed competing when I was young. I do wish I was more aware of the consequences when I was younger, but c’est la vie.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
As an old lady now with hip issues and arthritis, I can tell you it isn’t. But I wouldn’t change it - I enjoyed competing when I was young. I do wish I was more aware of the consequences when I was younger, but c’est la vie.

I echo this, there is a sacrifice to any high level sport. But you just have to preserve yourself in the process to understand the future effects, which I hope the young girls understand and are taking steps to prevent so we don't see another story of Katya Sokova

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I echo this, there is a sacrifice to any high level sport. But you just have to preserve yourself in the process to understand the future effects, which I hope the young girls understand and are taking steps to prevent so we don't see another story of Katya Sokova

She had to quit because of left untreated hip displacement, right? Just like Nadezhda Ivanova earlier and probably a lot more young gymnasts. It could be hereditary, and not necessarily related to heavy loads in sports while the growth plates are still unfused. And raising the age limit for seniors wouldn't prevent any of this happening in juniors and novices.

Top athletes are carefully monitored, also out of scientific interest. But children, their parents and trainers can be stubborn. And program leaders, chief trainers downright irresponsible, as has been proven many times in the past. Not only in Russia, mind you, US gymnastics is full of this kind of abuse: results and medals more important that disposable athletes' health.