2021 Worlds: Pairs' FS "Thoughts and Observations" | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2021 Worlds: Pairs' FS "Thoughts and Observations"

readernick

Medalist
My prediction for the top 4 of the pairs was almost correct, except that the winner was M/G, not B/K! :dance3: I know they will be a dark horse in this competition because of their technical advantages, and moreover, the starting order of the FS really helped them, compared to B/K.

Honestly I love B/K more than any other pairs, but Boikova's sharp words for a coaching legend in the K & C after the skate were really shocking and unacceptable to me! :eek: When asked why she would accept M/G as B/K's competitors, Moskvina responded that she was the boss of this school... :LOL: Such a fragile and small old lady with such strong will and principles, you have to respect her! (y) :love2:

I think the one thing that essentially all skating fans can agree with is that Moskvina is amazing! I have listened to some interviews she gave recently and I think in a sport with a lot of less than admirable coaches she stands out as special and distinct. Committed, humble, and driven by a love for excellence not personal glory.

About Boikova's reaction, it wasn't good but she is very young and naturally competitive. It was said in the heat of the moment.

ManiDani

Rinkside
I have nothing but the greatest admiration for all of the pair skaters who competed the past two days. With so many different elements, it was quite possibly the hardest discipline to maintain and/or improve individual and partnering skills during the various lockdowns and uneven competitive opportunities. Add to that, the ISU refuses to give them a rest day in between the short and long programs. With the injury comebacks and illness recoveries that a lot of skaters faced, I am surprised we got the level of competition we did. I hope they all get a much needed rest break and come back to enjoy a successful Olympic season.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm completely over the moon about Mishina/Galliamov, and I've been stalking them via stream and youtube for months. (not real stalking, of course, in case anyone takes me seriously). By the way, not only are they the youngest World Champions since Gordeeva/Grinkov, they're the first since G&G in 1986 to win it at their first ever World championships.

I've watched M/G's Queen free skate so many times already. But one thing that occurred to me earlier is that they won the moment. Sometimes there's a performance in a competition that stands out, everything about it just says this is our moment. Anastasia and Alexandr had polish, gorgeous technique and the most loaded technical program. They had elation, a sense of fun, and joy to give to their audience -- they said they missed the live audience but they knew and were happy that people were watching and cheering them on. They performed and executed everything beautifully, and I for one loved their interpretation. They were fully committed to it all, physically and emotionally, heart and soul. This alone made the pairs competition such a satisfying event. At the beginning of the FS competition, I opened myself to the possibility of enjoying all the skates and not obsessing -- and it worked!

As someone said above, I'll repeat: Winning Worlds to "We Are the Champions" is pure poetry!

Imagine Mishina being dumped by former partner for being too big and tall and almost retired then Galliamov came along and now they are world champs
to be fair, Mirzoev was a short guy, also he was complaining about getting back and shoulder injury
as he needed Mishina to lose weight.

Boikova and Kozlovskii seem so different off ice, I would not be surprise if they leave Moskvina after olympics out of resentment, spite and jealousy, wrong move imo.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
They had a quad twist, in 2014-2017. Not sure why it was dropped from their repertoire after.
Quad Twist isn't worth it anymore, in terms of BV. Plus, Sui once said she fell on the 4Tw and felt her life sucked out of her - I am not sure they can ever get it back, it's just one of those things you lose your athletic capability with.

(I also think they used to UR it, but it was only a GOE penalty on Twists.)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Sui/Han are on a different level from every other pair, they won this competition. Little mistakes on side by side jumps are less important than the mastery of skating and performance they have. The PCS were not scored correctly, as is pretty much always the case. If you actually went through and scored the refinement of each arm position, each expression, the musicality, their unison, how close together they skate, and the ability to use the edges, it would be a big gap. Not the ridiculous margin of only 1 point that the judges came up with. Mishina/Galliamov did the best they could and skated great, but they just aren't there yet.

There is something wrong with the sport if the decision to call one jump underrotated or not is more impactful than the entirety of the rest of the program.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Sui/Han are on a different level from every other pair, they won this competition. Little mistakes on side by side jumps are less important than the mastery of skating and performance they have. The PCS were not scored correctly, as is pretty much always the case.
Thank you!

For the "arm positioning", I'll also add that I can really only think of P/C - Ice Dancers - who do it better currently.

QuadThrow

Medalist
They had a quad twist, in 2014-2017. Not sure why it was dropped from their repertoire after.
The ISU dropped the BV of Quads after many injuries appeared.

Sui/Han
Yesterday 3Tw4 (GEO +(4-5)) 6.00+2.57=8.57
potential 4Tw3 (GEO +2) 7.60+1.52=9.12

The risk and the effort they probably must bring in practice is not worth it.

Kittosuni

Medalist
Are we going to finally see the SBS lutz from B/K? they were already planning to include it this season but then COVID happened.

Fallingwater

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
Sui/Han are on a different level from every other pair, they won this competition. Little mistakes on side by side jumps are less important than the mastery of skating and performance they have. The PCS were not scored correctly, as is pretty much always the case. If you actually went through and scored the refinement of each arm position, each expression, the musicality, their unison, how close together they skate, and the ability to use the edges, it would be a big gap. Not the ridiculous margin of only 1 point that the judges came up with. Mishina/Galliamov did the best they could and skated great, but they just aren't there yet.

There is something wrong with the sport if the decision to call one jump underrotated or not is more impactful than the entirety of the rest of the program.
No pair was on a different level from any other pair and Mishina/Galliamov won this competition.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
It's just some "experts" here think that they know more about "the true pcs gap" between S/H and M/G than the Chinese judge does.
Replacing both their PCS with exactly what the Chinese judge gave them each actually would hand S/H the win.

So your point being?

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Though even the Chinese judge awarded the win to MG this time.
The point was about PCS :shrug: What point is being made by saying that the Chinese judge knows the "true gap" in PCS unlike the "experts" here? Replacing the factored PCS for the SP and LP each with the Chinese judge's PCS scores will give S/H the victory.

ETA: Russian judge on the other hand thought S/H and M/G did equally well in terms of PCS in the SP, so they won't be able to give S/H the PCS based victory. Maybe the Russian judge knows better than the "experts" on the thread.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
The point was about PCS :shrug: What point is being made by saying that the Chinese judge knows the "true gap" in PCS unlike the "experts" here? Replacing the factored PCS for the SP and LP each with the Chinese judge's PCS scores will give S/H the victory.
I think the point is, that even with that PCS gap for a Chinese judge the winners still were M/G. But I will say that either way it was going to be really close, could’ve gone one or the other way.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Replacing both their PCS with exactly what the Chinese judge gave them each actually would hand S/H the win.

So your point being?
I don't know how you came to this conclusion. The Chines judge gave S/H 74.4 and M/G 71.6

I can't say that the Chinese judge is the embodiment of objectivity as she gave the second Chinese pair 70.8 with a fall virtually the same as she gave to T/M (71.2) without a fall. But even that would not be enough for S/H to win. So that I guess it's you who has to explain "Replacing both their PCS with exactly what the Chinese judge gave them each actually would hand S/H the win".

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Are we going to finally see the SBS lutz from B/K? they were already planning to include it this season but then COVID happened
I don't know where you found it. B/K will never do SBS lutz or flip because each of them has edge issues, I don't remember exactly who has lip and who flutz, but that is it.