USFS names World, JW, & 4CCs team | Page 3 | Golden Skate

USFS names World, JW, & 4CCs team

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Jason Brown and Malinin have already committed to shows. This is also true for Alexa/ Brandon so the gold should be a walk in the park for Rika and Ryuichi. Torgashev doesn't have the minimums. So, the USFS didn't really have a choice. But, I am happy that the Japanese men who are being sent to 4CC will likely be able to medal. And, I think it is nice that the talented but inconsistent US men's skaters still have another competition.

Thanks for clarifying.

I'd have been happier if the Japanese men had more competition at 4CC. Them medaling will be the perfect ammunition certain people need to criticize the two Japanese men sent to WC with Shoma, conveniently forgetting the difficulty of both fields.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Are any of the skaters' press conferences available for viewing?

So where's the award ceremony victory for women?

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks for clarifying.

I'd have been happier if the Japanese men had more competition at 4CC. Them medaling will be the perfect ammunition certain people need to criticize the two Japanese men sent to WC with Shoma, conveniently forgetting the difficulty of both fields.
Could someone refresh the names, or link to thread where Japanese team is named for 4CC?

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Everyone always talks about how 4ccs is supposed to be the Europeans equivalent but the ISU/feds need to figure out what to do to incentivize 4ccs where opting out/pre-emptively telling the fed to not assign you to it is not a thing. Barring injury or illness, an athlete eligible for Europeans wouldn't opt out of going.
4CC isn’t the equivalent of Europeans, but I think it’s more competitive in three disciplines, pairs being the odd man out. But Europeans is the more elite competition.

Fans like to say the issue with 4CC is the timing and travel, but I say there’s more to it than that. For one, at 4CC all skaters make the free skate, regardless of how poorly they do. And every country gets three spots regardless of how poorly the skaters do. There’s no such thing as losing or gaining spots. If a country has enough skaters with tech minimums, they can send three skaters every year. That is the real issue. If there was actually something on the line then you best believe federations would send their best skaters out.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
4CC isn’t the equivalent of Europeans, but I think it’s more competitive in three disciplines, pairs being the odd man out. But Europeans is the more elite competition.

Fans like to say the issue with 4CC is the timing and travel, but I say there’s more to it than that. For one, at 4CC all skaters make the free skate, regardless of how poorly they do. And every country gets three spots regardless of how poorly the skaters do. There’s no such thing as losing or gaining spots. If a country has enough skaters with tech minimums, they can send three skaters every year. That is the real issue. If there was actually something on the line then you best believe federations would send their best skaters out.
I mentioned the spots earning factor earlier but the reality is that if spots were to be earned at 4CC, some countries could still send their B team and still earn 2 or 3 spots... while the developing countries may still not be able to field more than one skater/ team per discipline.... There some very successful countries in some disciplines who are weaker in dance or in pairs and still cannot field 3 teams. It's best for the development of the sport overall, that there are more opportunities that way.

I would think that history and geography is on the side of Euros. Being a European champion is relatable for fans... Try asking to non-skating fans if they know about 4CC :) even those located in 4CC countries would be able to grasp the concept of Euros instantly, and have to reflect a bit about what 4CC is.

It's a made up event, I am glad it exists though. This week, it's Arctic games btw ;) I don't think they have figure skating though.

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Yes. I believe there are two. Bavarian or challenge cup. I would go to Bavarian. This may be his one chance to go to worlds. I’m rewatching his program again for the eight time today
But Bavarian open is this week, so if Andrew isn't an entree yet, he can't be (deadline has passed). Challenge Cup is later, so is still possible (and I would get to see him live, wow!).

Alas, I will also be visiting my parents, so I won't be able to see everything but one way or another I would try to not miss-out on Andrew!

Last edited:

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
If you want to examine one layout that puzzled me : levito doing 3lz 3loop and the a solo 3t. Goe wise, i am mot convinced...
Yeah, I don't understand her layout either - she does two solo double axels... seems like she could take advantage of the sequence rule instead and not make it so difficult on herself. But maybe she just does what she or her team feels like she does best, who knows?

Regarding 4CCs, we knew Jason and Ilia were already committed to ice shows but do we know why Camden didn't do 4CC? Seems strange that they name him first alternate for Worlds but nothing for 4CC. Do we think he turned it down or just wasn't asked?

Another question - do we know who is invited to the Junior Worlds selection camp? Or do we just kind of have to sleuth social media for who is there? I think I remember last year seeing some skaters' postings together and realizing who was and wasn't there. I wish they would give an announcement for who is invited - like they do for the development camp.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
apparently both Jason and Ilia are performing in a show and have a time conflict.. It is unfortunate really... Andrew cannot go either because of the minimums so it's an interesting situation. Canada is sending its A team but yeah... not to be dismissive about our Canadian men, but I don't think they will threaten for medals this year, unless Keegan skates with a bit less emotions than what he did when performing in Canada.
No we want Keegan to skate with all the emotion he has and then some. The pureness of his heart is a rarity. Not even Jason comes close. I can understand Jason's strategy. Ilia has competed a lot this season. He maybe needs to put some time in getting consistent and upping his pcs. Those pops were concerning.

ElSoteroLoco

On the Ice
I'm scratching my head a bit about the 4CC men. Surely they should at least send one of the top 3 men to the event? Since the Japanese won't send their A team, wouldn't that be a nice opportunity for Malinin to collect experience and perhaps medal? I understand Jason doesn't want to go but is Malinin really at a point in his career where he should opt out of this?
It's even more baffling considering the competition is on home soil...
Thank you for putting into words what i could not! I don't mind that Jason isn't going, but, Ilia SHOULD be going. It's being held here in the United States... for a freakin ice show???!! Seriously???!! He could have won his first major international competition!! Worlds is a toss up! Well it is what it is. The Japanese men will sweep the podium!! Congrats ahead of time to them! SMH!!!! 🙄

ElSoteroLoco

On the Ice
Thanks for clarifying.

ohhh don't worry...... the Japanese will completely dominate at 4CC!!!

Fireplace7890

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Regarding 4CCs, we knew Jason and Ilia were already committed to ice shows but do we know why Camden didn't do 4CC? Seems strange that they name him first alternate for Worlds but nothing for 4CC. Do we think he turned it down or just wasn't asked?
Just a guess, but maybe because he would have missed too much time from school. I know that Nathan stopped going to 4CC after he started college full time. Being so close to Nationals, it would have meant missing at least three weeks of school to go to both competitions.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Camden not even being named as an alternate to 4CCs was the biggest head scratcher to me. The way I see it, either he turned it down for whatever reason or USFS is so concerned that Andrew might not get the World minimum TES that they’re nervous about tiring Camden out in case they have to send him to Saitama.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Camden : my guess would be that the USFed wasn't impressed with him and didn't want to give him 4CC because it's a good competition to invest on newcomers or less experienced skaters who have never been to worlds before.

Camden has that experience. He has done brilliantly at 2022 worlds. So, he doesn't "need" the experience as much as those named.

However, if Andrew were not able to reach minimums, then the USFed needs to send their best possible team. Other skaters, those listed at 4CC do not have the same international pedigree as Camden, so it's not a bad idea to select him as 1st alternate.

ucrgirl

On the Ice
I think a big part of the issue is 4CC being much closer to worlds than Euros and its a disruption to their training schedule.
And skaters typically have to fly across the world to attend 4CC where as for Euros skaters on have a 1 or 2 hour time zone change.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Thank you for putting into words what i could not! I don't mind that Jason isn't going, but, Ilia SHOULD be going. It's being held here in the United States... for a freakin ice show???!! Seriously???!! He could have won his first major international competition!! Worlds is a toss up! Well it is what it is. The Japanese men will sweep the podium!! Congrats ahead of time to them! SMH!!!! 🙄
I should think that Junhwan Cha would disagree with you :)

Andrea82

Medalist
Yes. I believe there are two. Bavarian or challenge cup. I would go to Bavarian. This may be his one chance to go to worlds. I’m rewatching his program again for the eight time today

Competitions to achieve minimum TES for Worlds with Senior Men competition scheduled

Next week
Bavarian Open
Nordics Open
Sophia Trophy

Week 6-12th
Ephesos Cup
Dragon Trophy

16th-19th
Tallin Hotels Cup

22th-26th

Bellu Memoriał
Challenge Cup