Let’s dance 80’s! New Rhythm Dance article | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Let’s dance 80’s! New Rhythm Dance article

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Absolutely nothing, personal music taste is personal music taste. I'm not even sure if I'm describing it correctly, I have seen it described elsewhere on social media as "Sad Boi" music.We all like what we like. :)

Just like I have a very different perspective on what is new, or special, or interesting in the 80s, based on the stations I listened to, the albums I bought, the clubs I hit, the concerts I attended, than someone else might have. Not better or worse, just different.

But if the skaters are gonna skate to it, for me personally, it needs a beat, it needs to build, and please skating gods, not so much sad. ;)
Fair enough on music tastes. Though I'd argue some of the most powerful songs are on the sadder side.

Carol1

Medalist
I would enjoy a program to "More to Lose" by Seona Dancing, back when Ricky Gervais was an obscure synth pop singer rather than a world-famous comedian.

"Boy" by Book of Love would also be an inspired choice, in my opinion.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Would love to see someone do Sade Smooth Operator..
Didn't Stellato/ Deschamps skate to a version of Smooth Operator, or else to another Sade song? It would have been before they competed at international events I think, cuz Deanna had to wait for her release, so they skated domestically for at least two seasons.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
has anyone ever skated to the soundtracks of Neverending Story or Labyrinth?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Didn't Stellato/ Deschamps skate to a version of Smooth Operator, or else to another Sade song? It would have been before they competed at international events I think, cuz Deanna had to wait for her release, so they skated domestically for at least two seasons.
Her and Max skated to a cover of Sade "No Ordinary Love" for their SP in 21-22.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Her and Max skated to a cover of Sade "No Ordinary Love" for their SP in 21-22.
^^ Oh right, yeah! I couldn't remember the exact details. Thanks! Their fp was a blast that season too: (I Just) Died in Your Arms, by Hidden Citizens. Those were definitely interesting, exploratory selections that season. I hope they return to some edgier choices. 👍

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
some of the most powerful songs are on the sadder side
Sad or melancholy/ reflective, but also somehow redemptive and uplifting. There has to be a bit of uplift. Like for example, choosing Max Richter instrumentals (e.g., On the Nature of Daylight) often requires arranging with other music that can vary the tempo.

In terms of love ballads, one of my faves was Give Me Love, by Ed Sheeran, skated by Josh Farris, with choreo by Jeff Buttle. 😍

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sad or melancholy/ reflective, but also somehow redemptive and uplifting. There has to be a bit of uplift. Like for example, choosing Max Richter instrumentals (e.g., On the Nature of Daylight) often requires arranging with other music that can vary the tempo.

In terms of love ballads, one of my faves was Give Me Love, by Ed Sheeran, skated by Josh Farris, with choreo by Jeff Buttle. 😍

One of my faves too.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
One of my faves too.
Miss Josh so much. 😭 But his skating journey was not in vain! 🥰 Hopefully, he's happy and doing well. We've previously heard good things about the fs community donating money for his eye operation (related to the concussion which ended his career). Wish we could have seen at least some clips of his final planned, but not competed fp, The Pines of Rome (choreo by Buttle).

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^^ Oh right, yeah! I couldn't remember the exact details. Thanks! Their fp was a blast that season too: (I Just) Died in Your Arms, by Hidden Citizens. Those were definitely interesting, exploratory selections that season. I hope they return to some edgier choices. 👍
I wish someone would skate to the original by Cutting Crew.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Sad is great when it's powerful. It's not so great when it feels like someone strumming a few lonely strings alone in their bedroom because they are depressed.
It comes down to personal preference, perception, personal experience, and interpretation. In other words, it's all about subjectivity. One person's pleasurable reactions to music and to skating performances will not always exactly equate to those of others.

icewhite

Record Breaker
It comes down to personal preference, perception, personal experience, and interpretation. In other words, it's all about subjectivity. One person's pleasurable reactions to music and to skating performances will not always exactly equate to those of others.

Of course, it was tongue in cheek. During the past weekend I talked to a great person, slightly younger than me, an artist, and we went through a spotify playlist with big hits of all times, and again and again she was saying "oh this is great!!" and she picked all the songs I dislike and find super boring to say this :rofl: I didn't dare to tell her; she was so enthusiastic about these songs which find so annoying I turn the radio off when they come on... :slink: There were a lot of songs in the list that I loved but she never picked those :laugh:
It's always subjective but I will always talk about music like my taste is objectively the best :p