Random Confessions | Page 84 | Golden Skate

Random Confessions

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
some of my pet peeves : the word 'stan', 'smol', 'shook', 'yassss'

I've heard of "shook" (something that has been shaken) and "stan" (Persian suffix meaning "land" used in the names of a lot of Asian countries. e.g. Pakistan, "Land of the pure"). But, I've never heard of the others before.

At least shook is a real word.

So is "stan", see above.

But it isn't used correctly, it's used in place of another real word (shocked).

Eh?! Never come across that usage before.

And don't forget 'ship', 'props', and what else?

Ship: A big boat.
Props: Holding something in place.

Thank goodness for urbandictionary.com or I wouldn't know what people are saying half the time!

Same here! :laugh: I have to resort to consulting Urban Dictionary practically every time I visit GS, to find out what some people are talking about (usually when they are using abbreviations). :slink:

And there have been lots of times when I have written things to post on here, and then went to Urban Dictionary and discovered that what I have written can have a totally different (and usually inappropriate) meaning to what I intended. :eek: And then I've had to re-word it. :drama:

Why can people not just talk proper and use words the way they were intended?! :confused:

(Says the guy from the country where words often mean the exact opposite to what they mean in the rest of the world... :slink:

...Yes, seriously! :rolleye: :bang: )

CaroLiza_fan

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^The abbreviations are brutal! For a place where we're not supposed to be using abbreviations, there sure are a lot of abbreviations! :laugh2: And I do it sometimes too, just because I'm too lazy to type something out...And here I thought I was the only one who looked at Urban Dictionary! :scard7:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
^^^The abbreviations are brutal! For a place where we're not supposed to be using abbreviations, there sure are a lot of abbreviations! :laugh2: And I do it sometimes too, just because I'm too lazy to type something out...And here I thought I was the only one who looked at Urban Dictionary! :scard7:

The odd abbreviation is fine as long as it is something that everybody will understand instantly.

eg. SP, FS, EX, GP, EC, 4CC, WC, YOG, GS, PDF, etc. (See what I did there? ;) )

But, more often than not, people on here use much more complicated abbreviations, such as what young people use in text messaging. Or technical things like abbreviations / symbols that are used on the protocols. (Although I understand some, a lot of them baffle me! :eek: )

I suppose this would be a good time for a confession:

There is one member that uses so many complicated abbreviations so often that it has got to the stage that I often don't even attempt to read their posts any more. I know it's wrong and I'm undoubtedly missing out on useful information, but having to look all these incomprehensible collections of letters up just destroys the flow of what you are reading. And your will to live.

Suffice to say, it is the same with posts about Pairs or Ice Dance that use abbreviations rather than names - I don't even attempt to read them either. Or with posts discussing technical things that use abbreviations.

Life's too short to be spending it trying to work out what abbreviations mean.

CaroLiza_fan

iorii

On the Ice
I've heard of "shook" (something that has been shaken) and "stan" (Persian suffix meaning "land" used in the names of a lot of Asian countries. e.g. Pakistan, "Land of the pure"). But, I've never heard of the others before.

So is "stan", see above.

Eh?! Never come across that usage before.

Ship: A big boat.
Props: Holding something in place.

Same here! I have to resort to consulting Urban Dictionary practically every time I visit GS, to find out what some people are talking about (usually when they are using abbreviations).

And there have been lots of times when I have written things to post on here, and then went to Urban Dictionary and discovered that what I have written can have a totally different (and usually inappropriate) meaning to what I intended. And then I've had to re-word it.

Why can people not just talk proper and use words the way they were intended?!

(Says the guy from the country where words often mean the exact opposite to what they mean in the rest of the world...

...Yes, seriously! )

CaroLiza_fan

^^^The abbreviations are brutal! For a place where we're not supposed to be using abbreviations, there sure are a lot of abbreviations! And I do it sometimes too, just because I'm too lazy to type something out...And here I thought I was the only one who looked at Urban Dictionary!

Now I know CaroLiza_fan has never been to Twitter :laugh: but I know Arriba does have Twitter!

Oh, Twitter is the place you'll see words being used the way they're not meant to. 'Props' is used like--if Arriba says "Shoma is cute" and I obviously agree so I say "props to Arriba for pointing it out!" Like thanking or giving thumbs up.

Smol is small.

Yassss is like--yeaahhhhh.

As for stan, for example I say I stan Shoma. That means I'm 'siding' with Shoma or a Shoma fan.

Aside from stan, smol, shook, yasss, I'm also not fond of 'slayyyy', 'on fleek', and the meme 'he protec but he also attac' *shivers* why can't people just write correctly?!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
:laugh:

reading all discussion above - just popping to say that one YT channel is definitely not for language-sensitive people, it is about Shiba Inu dog family and all subtitles are made in such twisted way it is sometimes difficult to decipher what the author was in mind;):laugh:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Aside from stan, smol, shook, yasss, I'm also not fond of 'slayyyy', 'on fleek', and the meme 'he protec but he also attac' *shivers* why can't people just write correctly?!

I do like smol, because I think of the definition as "cute and small" and use it for my favorite skater. My least favorites are lmao and lmfao. So overdone and (usually) unnecessary.

Just recently, there was a pairs discussion, and the initials of S/B were being used. It was completely unclear as to whom that was referencing, as Seguin/Bilodeau and Stellato/Bartholomay had competed in that competition. I finally just gave up on the ice dance discussion, because I wasn't familiar enough with the players to know who anyone was talking about when using initials.

And now, back to memorizing my Urban Dictionary.

iorii

On the Ice
Just recently, there was a pairs discussion, and the initials of S/B were being used. It was completely unclear as to whom that was referencing, as Seguin/Bilodeau and Stellato/Bartholomay had competed in that competition. I finally just gave up on the ice dance discussion, because I wasn't familiar enough with the players to know who anyone was talking about when using initials.

The only abbreviation I could tell is V/M, but I prefer to read it written correctly too as 'Virtue/Moir', it really confuses me when people abbreviate ice dancers and pair skaters' name. I think people didn't read the guidelines.

Please use correct spelling of names
Please do not combine, abbreviate, or otherwise change the spelling of a skater or team's name. This includes using a skater's name or part of a skater's name (i.e. in political, geographical, or other context).

Aaaaand back to the thread! Confession : I used to dislike thai tea but for two days in a row now I found myself buying Dum Dum's thai tea, I think it's an acquired taste for me :laugh:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
mentally preparing for baking experiments this weekend - pumpkin muffins and almond/raspberry pie:):):)

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

This probably qualifies as a confession :p

One time somebody was complaining that C/B weren't doing very well. And I gave off hell, pointing out that Penny Coomes was not long back from an horrific knee injury, and that she and Nick Buckland were actually doing better than you would expect under the circumstances.

It turned out that it was Madison Chock and Evan Bates that they were talking about. :eek:: :slink:

CaroLiza_fan

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I do like smol, because I think of the definition as "cute and small" and use it for my favorite skater. My least favorites are lmao and lmfao. So overdone and (usually) unnecessary.

And now, back to memorizing my Urban Dictionary.

That was probably me. I remember the conversation. So.. confession time: I have a learning disability that was so bad they pulled me out of regular school back in the stone ages of dealing with learning disabilities. They thought I would never graduate high school. I can not spell phonetically at all. It literally means nothing to me so I have to remember how to spell words. Most of the time I can not sound out a word like most people do to get the spelling correct. Therefore, with all the last names, especially non English ones I really struggle. I have to memorize them. After being told I couldn't possibly be a fan of Satoko M.'s because I can't spell her last name correctly I mostly use first names and the whole S/B thing. I need to remember that there are more than one S/B or S/K and put something in brackets or something. So it's a choice I guess: Spell what I can correctly and that's normally first names. Every new, incredible Russian lady gives me fits when it comes to spelling. (I also can't tell my left from my right and I have a spacial awareness problem that makes geometry a nightmare for me)
So, long story short, sorry for the confusion. I will try to remember to be clearer.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
The only abbreviation I could tell is V/M, but I prefer to read it written correctly too as 'Virtue/Moir', it really confuses me when people abbreviate ice dancers and pair skaters' name. I think people didn't read the guidelines.

Aaaaand back to the thread! Confession : I used to dislike thai tea but for two days in a row now I found myself buying Dum Dum's thai tea, I think it's an acquired taste for me :laugh:

The difficulty with names is when they are twisted to mean something derogatory like ancientpeasflation, ancientpeasbot, ancientpeasstan, ancientpeasuber That kind of thing.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
*booking my flight*

:laugh:

We made white chocolate and raspberry tiramisu last week and it was really good and very simple.

*virtually preparing room for a guest*

;):laugh:

one could think that I overdid myself before Easter, but I am actually very eager to try something new in baking, and I plan to begin my Polish ice cream season on Sunday, as I ate some in Milan already:):):)

iorii

On the Ice
That was probably me. I remember the conversation. So.. confession time: I have a learning disability that was so bad they pulled me out of regular school back in the stone ages of dealing with learning disabilities. They thought I would never graduate high school. I can not spell phonetically at all. It literally means nothing to me so I have to remember how to spell words. Most of the time I can not sound out a word like most people do to get the spelling correct. Therefore, with all the last names, especially non English ones I really struggle. I have to memorize them. After being told I couldn't possibly be a fan of Satoko M.'s because I can't spell her last name correctly I mostly use first names and the whole S/B thing. I need to remember that there are more than one S/B or S/K and put something in brackets or something. So it's a choice I guess: Spell what I can correctly and that's normally first names. Every new, incredible Russian lady gives me fits when it comes to spelling. (I also can't tell my left from my right and I have a spacial awareness problem that makes geometry a nightmare for me)
So, long story short, sorry for the confusion. I will try to remember to be clearer.

Thanks for telling us this! It's a side that I wouldn't know if you didn't tell us. Feel free not to answer this, how did you get over it? Or does one not actually 'get over' it? Do you still struggle from time to time? Sorry, I don't want to be intrusive. Feel free to ignore this. I'm curious because I'm interested in language study.

The difficulty with names is when they are twisted to mean something derogatory like ancientpeasflation, ancientpeasbot, ancientpeasstan, ancientpeasuber That kind of thing.

Ooohh! Sorry, didn't know that. Thanks for telling me. Now I do wish they have rule not to write names in initials :p

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
*virtually preparing room for a guest*

;):laugh:

one could think that I overdid myself before Easter, but I am actually very eager to try something new in baking, and I plan to begin my Polish ice cream season on Sunday, as I ate some in Milan already:):):)

My mind is simply agog at the idea of Polish ice cream season. I love ice cream. Mrs. P's talk of the ice cream she ordered had me nearly drooling.

We are going to make a pavlova soon. And then we are going to start our "perfecting the Victoria Sandwich cake" experiment like we did with quiches.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
My mind is simply agog at the idea of Polish ice cream season. I love ice cream. Mrs. P's talk of the ice cream she ordered had me nearly drooling.

We are going to make a pavlova soon. And then we are going to start our "perfecting the Victoria Sandwich cake" experiment like we did with quiches.

I already selected the place to begin, as there are quite a few great ones where I live - and plan to feast!:):):). And just looked up to their website and saw that they have now also ice cream sandwiches that look delicious:love:. I plan to visit different place each Sunday this spring/summer and enjoy:)

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Thanks for telling us this! It's a side that I wouldn't know if you didn't tell us. Feel free not to answer this, how did you get over it? Or does one not actually 'get over' it? Do you still struggle from time to time? Sorry, I don't want to be intrusive. Feel free to ignore this. I'm curious because I'm interested in language study.

Ooohh! Sorry, didn't know that. Thanks for telling me. Now I do wish they have rule not to write names in initials :p

The learning disability thing: I was extremely lucky. My grade 2 teacher noticed that I knew the answer to questions but would write them down incorrectly. Like 9 plus 9. I would tell her it was 18 I would write down 81 and she would ask me and I would tell her I had written 18. I made all my letters backward but sometimes correctly but I could read. My reading level was that of a 6th grader but my spelling was very poor. I had already learned what most kids who can function with an LD do: to manage it. For me it was having an excellent long term memory. I remember things better that I knew a week ago than what happened a minute ago. So anyway, I was lucky. I got sent to a special class at a school that was 30 minutes from my house (this was in the 70s) where I was the the youngest by 6 years. There was only one other girl because it tends to be boys who have LDs (at least that is what they thought at the time). Unfortunately, most of these boys were functionally illiterate because their LDs weren't caught early enough. They retaught me the alphabet by drawing on my back and making me do other mental exercises. It helped but some things were never quite "right". I do not get phonics, I have spacial awareness problems and I do not know my left from my right. I know how to spell words mostly because I remember how words are spelled and much of it is rote by now. The brain is an incredible thing. The willingness to adapt to circumstances and live in a world where left and right mean something to most people is just what I need to do most of the time. I tried all sorts of things: rings (I take them off and put them on the other hand), a watch (I take it off and on and switch the side it's on), making an L with my left hand doesn't work because sometimes I don't know that I'm actually looking at an backward L (so it's my right hand). Weirdly I can now tell my left from my right because I had to have one of my back wisdom tooth and a molar removed on the left side and so now I know. Anyway, I was lucky. Very lucky. I graduated HS and I went to University and I have 2 degrees (in liberal arts because math was out of the question past a certain point) and I still love to read.

Hope that a)answers your question and b) wasn't too long and c) was comprehensible.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I already selected the place to begin, as there are quite a few great ones where I live - and plan to feast!:):):). And just looked up to their website and saw that they have now also ice cream sandwiches that look delicious:love:. I plan to visit different place each Sunday this spring/summer and enjoy:)

I am packing as we speak. It's really too cold here still for ice cream. Yesterday it was -18 with the windchill.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
The learning disability thing: I was extremely lucky. My grade 2 teacher noticed that I knew the answer to questions but would write them down incorrectly. Like 9 plus 9. I would tell her it was 18 I would write down 81 and she would ask me and I would tell her I had written 18. I made all my letters backward but sometimes correctly but I could read. My reading level was that of a 6th grader but my spelling was very poor. I had already learned what most kids who can function with an LD do: to manage it. For me it was having an excellent long term memory. I remember things better that I knew a week ago than what happened a minute ago. So anyway, I was lucky. I got sent to a special class at a school that was 30 minutes from my house (this was in the 70s) where I was the the youngest by 6 years. There was only one other girl because it tends to be boys who have LDs (at least that is what they thought at the time). Unfortunately, most of these boys were functionally illiterate because their LDs weren't caught early enough. They retaught me the alphabet by drawing on my back and making me do other mental exercises. It helped but some things were never quite "right". I do not get phonics, I have spacial awareness problems and I do not know my left from my right. I know how to spell words mostly because I remember how words are spelled and much of it is rote by now. The brain is an incredible thing. The willingness to adapt to circumstances and live in a world where left and right mean something to most people is just what I need to do most of the time. I tried all sorts of things: rings (I take them off and put them on the other hand), a watch (I take it off and on and switch the side it's on), making an L with my left hand doesn't work because sometimes I don't know that I'm actually looking at an backward L (so it's my right hand). Weirdly I can now tell my left from my right because I had to have one of my back wisdom tooth and a molar removed on the left side and so now I know. Anyway, I was lucky. Very lucky. I graduated HS and I went to University and I have 2 degrees (in liberal arts because math was out of the question past a certain point) and I still love to read.

Hope that a)answers your question and b) wasn't too long and c) was comprehensible.

Dear ancientpeas - I would never tell You have had learning disability reading your posts, abbreviation of skaters' names are quite common here, so I do not make it a bigger issue it is. One thing was that You were lucky, but another is that You had a will and were eager to adapt - believe me, I know some people who would rather wallow in self-pity about learning disabilities than making something out of the situation, something good and productive.

:ghug: