Yuzuru Hanyu: 2014-15 Season | Page 854 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2014-15 Season

zeldaindisguise

Rinkside
I don't know if I'm in the minority here, but I'm really liking this costume. Regardless of fitting the music (since we haven't seen the program yet to discuss that) I think it's gorgeous. It looks like waves and sea foam with glittering pearls tossed among the surf - turbulent at the same time as dazzling. I can't imagine how long it must have taken to make such an intricate costume -- not only coming up with the design and placement of all the rhinestones, but also all the bead work having to be sewn carefully so it won't fall off... To think this is just an Ex costume.

I can't wait to see it in motion.

nagini

On the Ice
ITA. After looking at it for a while, it does look like a person surrounded by sea water and foam. So, merman would be an appropriate description :D

Yep and the jewels are the rocks the pieces of houses that were torn by the waves.

nagini

On the Ice
This is the report of the second show of Kanazawa FaOI on June 27, Sunday

I’ll divide report into a few parts.

(PART I)

Part I is about his EX only.

(Costume)
As already posted, the design is something like this.
Johnny Weir

Concerning the green color in the costume, it felt like the green at springtime. It was lively and tender.

(Layout)
3Lo(○), sit spin, hydro, 3S(○), doughnut spin, uplight spin (I’m not sure about the order.)

(Choreography, music)

To begin with, when I watched the new EX, I had no idea about the music and theme ("Requiem of Heaven and Earth ", “The Great East Japan Earthquake Requiem "3.11"” ). So any kind of image or thought wasn’t in my mind.

What impressed me most was…, the choreography was totally different with his other performances’. It was not at all along the lines of his choreographies so far.
It was a bit complicated and I was perplexed. I couldn’t put my fingers on it.
It felt like even a bit avant-garde to me.

His motion was changing quickly. His movement was harsh like a thunder and sharp like a knife.
Music itself was beautiful. Nonetheless, there was nothing sweet, poetic lyrical..
Groan, agony, deep sorrow, absurdity, etc. were lying there.

And those dark emotions went nowhere. They remained there till the end.
He seemed to deny something like catharsis or comfort in the interval..

Then, right after the show, I knew the theme of music.

Further, I typed his interview about new EX in Kanazawa FaOI pamphlet as described. It’s much more worthwhile than my poor report:biggrin:. It reflects his thought about EX, and is something inspirational.

The interview was interesting (I hope someone will make a translation, an abstract, an interpretation..).
He isn’t good at a type of performance to make him get a certain message across. He is better at expressing himself instead of giving some message towards people.
Further, he tends to go too deep inside himself. As he is sometimes pointed out about it, so he tries to express something towards the outside of himself. But, since this EX is closely related to his personal experiences and the emotions therein, he feels he can allow himself to skate inside himself to such an extent that all of his emotions and body are melted in his own world.

After reading the interview, the following thought came upon me. Certainly, he was just himself and honest with his emotion at that very moment .

It was just my impression. His performance and emotion are to be different every time. According to interview, what he hopes is you shall cherish what you will feel to see this program. He thinks this music has no lyrics, so what he wants to convey and what audience receive actually from his EX are probably not the same, but it doesn’t matter.

Sorry for long and subjective report. New EX was too heavy for me and I was thinking about it. Now that I completed it, I will go ahead. Thank you for reading:).

Thank you very much for the report. :bow: I can't imagine how it is to experience this live. :)

Esopian

Final Flight
Wow, it's sure never a dull moment when it comes to Yuzuru revealing his new costumes! :laugh:

I'm feeling a bit neutral to the costume ... the color of it as a whole suits him, but the design with many frills is questionable :think:. To me, it resembles his 'blue flame' costume a bit except this time the color used is bright turquoise, green-ish with much more frills. I can't wait to see his new EX program that goes along with it though. With the topic of costumes, I have to say my top 3 favourite costumes from Yuzu are:

(1) POTO no.1 (red)
(2) Hana ni nare
(3) R&J no.1

What are your top 3 choices for his best costumes so far? (curious to see everyone else's picks)

firal

Record Breaker
Wow, it's sure never a dull moment when it comes to Yuzuru revealing his new costumes! :laugh:

I'm feeling a bit neutral to the costume ... the color of it as a whole suits him, but the design with many frills is questionable :think:. To me, it resembles his 'blue flame' costume a bit except this time the color used is bright turquoise, green-ish with much more frills. I can't wait to see his new EX program that goes along with it though. With the topic of costumes, I have to say my top 3 favourite costumes from Yuzu are:

(1) POTO no.1 (red)
(2) Hana ni nare
(3) R&J no.1

What are your top 3 choices for his best costumes so far? (curious to see everyone else's picks)

I can see from your choices that you are not a big fan of frills too :biggrin: HIGH FIVE! I can never choose favorites or top threes, so I'll let other posters chime in.

oriquey

Final Flight

(1) POTO no.1 (red)
(2) Hana ni nare
(3) R&J no.1

My top 3 costumes are:

1) Etude costume
2) White Legend
3) R&J no. 1

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Thanks a lot, Hamaguri

Welcome to the Yuzu fan thread and Golden Skate. Post often. :cheer:

I'm so happy to finally see the sparkly lettuce costume in photos. Regardless of what I think of the costume itself, seeing Yuzu in it has made me terribly happy. It says to me that yes, he may wear subdued and 'normal' costumes sometimes, but you will NEVER be able to suppress his inner self that LOVES the frills and bling. It's Yuzu. Yuzu will wear frills. :laugh:

Last edited:

nagini

On the Ice

(1) POTO no.1 (red)
(2) Hana ni nare
(3) R&J no.1

My favorite is 'blue flame' (Etude) but i love all the other just as much. I love how all his costumes are expressing the meaning of the programs just to the point.

Thanks a lot, Hamaguri

Welcome to the craziest (in a good way) fandom :cheer:

Last edited:

nagini

On the Ice
I can see from your choices that you are not a big fan of frills too :biggrin: HIGH FIVE! I can never choose favorites or top threes, so I'll let other posters chime in.

Yeh I'm not a big fan of them too. I never wore and never will wear them in my life! But his costume I actually like it cause it resembles the waves in a way.

owl

On the Ice

(1) POTO no.1 (red)
(2) Hana ni nare
(3) R&J no.1

I also think there's WAY too many frills, hahahah. But the rest of the costume is lovely, and it's certainly not my least favorite of Yuzuru's.

As for my 3 favorite costumes, I guess they'd be:
1. SEIMEI - Hands down my favorite costume of his to date. I love simplicity above all else, not to mention the small bit of design (are they rhinestones or glitter or what?) looks STUNNING under the bright lights.
2. Etude - I think costuming for classical music is fairly difficult, as there's no role to play. But his Etude costume fits the music so well, in my opinion, even more so than his Chopin one, which is also great.
3. PW/Hana ni Nare - Can't decide lol. While I like the kimono a little better, his necklace thing suits his PW costume best, and the costume as a whole is also a nice change from his usual ethereal look.

This was fun :)

ranran

Zamboni time
On the Ice
So many to catch up!! :shocked:

But I'll just joined in the current wagon :laugh:

The new EX costume I have to admit is a little bit wow! but I can feel the vibe sorrow, frustration and confusion but determination and spirit with the design~ kinda have the strong vibe too... is it weird that it remind me of a blowfish rather than a lettuce? :laugh: its thorny but cute vibe ^^;;

My favourite costumes seems similar with Owl~
1. SEIMEI
2. R&J1.0
3. Etude
4. Hana wa saku EX :D

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
New interview aired today about Hana Wa Saku and regarding the 3.11 earthquake.

Excerpt of an English translation of the interview:

Y: I also experienced the earthquake. Although the building didn’t collapsed, but you could see large crack [going through the building]. I know how the rink looks like when it doesn’t have the light on, so when the lights turned on, I can switch to a different mood and the way I express my emotions is different too. I was thinking “Oh, I experienced the earthquake right here” “I had some scary experience here”. As the music reaches the climax, everything becomes clear. I realised that the reason I can still skate this happily is because of the support from everyone. That’s how all the buildings were reconstructed. That’s what I was feeling when I skated this programme. I do hope this programme can deliver a message to those who experienced the earthquake, but also to express my own experience [through the programme]. I want them to see my own, genuine experience. When I was skating this programme, I wish it has something that can resonate with the audiences’ heart.
(Emphasis mine)

Source: http://yuzuland.tumblr.com/.

I think the highlighted part is also true of his "Requiem" exhibition. Many thanks to the translator!

According to the article apparently, yes. but I am still wondering if it is true. :confused: though if that is true I am happy..

As far as I searched, It is just as SuzyQ said that the vedeos about Yamato Tamura she kindly posted.
Now I could understand why the interviewee said that to Yuzuru. :laugh:

Thanks yhmafan! Yamato Tamura is also quite a looker (hard to see in those videos though ;)). I read he is now one of Satoko's coaches, and I think has put his cross dressing days behind him.

What about that spin where Yuzuru places his free leg over his neck. Has it been performed by another skater? Honestly, I actually prefer Yuzuru's recent A-spins (thought the WTT Chopin one was gorgeous) over that one but, like it or not, I do associate that spin with him.

I am not exactly a fan of that spin, but I have to admit it does show his excellent flexibility. I think I have read somewhere that it has been done before, but certainly it's associated with him now. Like you, I prefer his A spins, which again I am not really that fond off. Actually, I noticed he's been using the same spins in his last 2 LPs (maybe to ensure he gets the spin levels), but I want him to try some new spin variations for a change.

I’ll divide report into a few parts.

(PART I)

Part I is about his EX only.
His motion was changing quickly. His movement was harsh like a thunder and sharp like a knife.
Music itself was beautiful. Nonetheless, there was nothing sweet, poetic lyrical..
Groan, agony, deep sorrow, absurdity, etc. were lying there.

And those dark emotions went nowhere. They remained there till the end.
He seemed to deny something like catharsis or comfort in the interval..

Then, right after the show, I knew the theme of music.

Further, I typed his interview about new EX in Kanazawa FaOI pamphlet as described. It’s much more worthwhile than my poor report:biggrin:. It reflects his thought about EX, and is something inspirational.

The interview was interesting (I hope someone will make a translation, an abstract, an interpretation..).
He isn’t good at a type of performance to make him get a certain message across. He is better at expressing himself instead of giving some message towards people.
Further, he tends to go too deep inside himself. As he is sometimes pointed out about it, so he tries to express something towards the outside of himself. But, since this EX is closely related to his personal experiences and the emotions therein, he felt he can allow himself to skate inside himself to such an extent that all of his emotions and body are melted in his own world.

After reading the interview, the following thought came upon me. Certainly, he was just himself and honest with his emotion at that very moment .

It was just my impression. His performance and emotion are to be different every time. According to interview, what he hopes is you shall cherish what you will feel to see this program. He thinks this music has no lyrics, so what he wants to convey and what audience receive actually from his EX are probably not the same, but it doesn’t matter.

Sorry for long and objective report. New EX was too heavy for me and I was thinking about it. Now that I completed it, I will go ahead. Thank you for reading:).

No apologies necessary. Thank you for your honest and heartfelt report.

Well, I wouldn't say that the costume wouldn't suit the music. It'll depend on how it fits the flow of everything and that can only be determined when we actually get to see the ex. But regardless of how we feel about the costume, I think ultimately as long as Yuzuru likes it.

I agree. He is wearing the costume he thinks fits his exhibition, including the music.

That said, more than anything (including lettuce), his costume reminds me of the ocean: the green and blue of the colors of the water; the ruffles/frills of the waves; the bright, glittering stones of sea spray; and the illusion mesh of the ocean's end, which is land (earth). The foregoing images may seem idyllic but 3.11, the "inspiration" for the music, is anything but, and hamaguri describes Yuzuru's exhibition itself as full of dark emotions. Looking forward to seeing the exhibition to see how it all works out.

Bangladesh

Rinkside
Well, I wouldn't say that the costume wouldn't suit the music. It'll depend on how it fits the flow of everything and that can only be determined when we actually get to see the ex. But regardless of how we feel about the costume, I think ultimately as long as Yuzuru likes it.

Well, Yuzuru can like everything he want, but "requiem" and frills are incompatible, even for Yuzuru.

I'm not against costume (actually it some way beautiful, welltailored and soooo in Yuzu's style:biggrin:), I'm against combination of costume and programe:confused2:

tzazu

Medalist
I don't know if I'm in the minority here, but I'm really liking this costume. Regardless of fitting the music (since we haven't seen the program yet to discuss that) I think it's gorgeous. It looks like waves and sea foam with glittering pearls tossed among the surf - turbulent at the same time as dazzling. I can't imagine how long it must have taken to make such an intricate costume -- not only coming up with the design and placement of all the rhinestones, but also all the bead work having to be sewn carefully so it won't fall off... To think this is just an Ex costume.

I can't wait to see it in motion.

I'm the same here:yes:

mikaboo

Medalist
Everyone, I present to you The Lettuce:http://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/photogallery/2015/06/29/post_131/

Edit: That is a lot of bling....and it kinda looks seaweed-ish more than lettuce.

That's a very expensive lettuce/seaweed he's wearing! Surprised myself to say that I like most parts of the costume minus the frills. I think there were enough warnings in the past 3 days to be prepared for the worst and it turned out to be not bad at all. Besides the lettuce and the seaweed, I've heard it being compared to Yuzuru's favorite ice cream, "popping shower" and now I see the resemblance.
https://www.31ice.co.jp/contents/sp/product/flavor/img/fl006_L.jpg

Looking at these photos, perhaps the person who designed his POTO v.2 costume did the new one as well? This is what I like about both costumes the most.

Thank you for your report hamaguri!:clap: Looking forward to Part 2 as well.

My favorites costumes are as below for now, but I think SEIMEI will be in there somewhere once the costume gets completed and ready to go.
1. POTO v.2
2. White Legend
3. Chopin
I also like the white shirt with gold embroidery he wore at FaOI Toyama skating to Sarah Alainn's The Final Time Traveler too but that might be a bit too boring to be called a proper costume.

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
That's a very expensive lettuce/seaweed he's wearing! Surprised myself to say that I like most parts of the costume minus the frills. I think there were enough warnings in the past 3 days to be prepared for the worst and it turned out to be not bad at all. Besides the lettuce and the seaweed, I've heard it being compared to Yuzuru's favorite ice cream, "popping shower" and now I see the resemblance.
https://www.31ice.co.jp/contents/sp/product/flavor/img/fl006_L.jpg

Looking at these photos, perhaps the person who designed his POTO v.2 costume did the new one as well? This is what I like about both costumes the most.

Thank you for your report hamaguri!:clap: Looking forward to Part 2 as well.

My favorites costumes are as below for now, but I think SEIMEI will be in there somewhere once the costume gets completed and ready to go.
1. POTO v.2
2. White Legend
3. Chopin
I also like the white shirt with gold embroidery he wore at FaOI Toyama skating to Sarah Alainn's The Final Time Traveler too but that might be a bit too boring to be called a proper costume.

for the 1st part, no warning can prepare anyone for this costume:biggrin::biggrin:
for the 2nd part,its not boring to many skaters but its certainly too boring for yuzuru :laugh:

odaimyo

Rinkside
I think I would love his new costume if only that big green lettuce-y frill across his chest is omitted. Smaller one with the color of frill in his right arm would be okay for me. The rhinestones are pretty!!!

Ah, & my favorite costume of his would be:
1. SEIMEI
2. Blue Flame (Etude)
3. POTO v.2

yhmafan

Medalist
Well, Yuzuru can like everything he want, but "requiem" and frills are incompatible, even for Yuzuru.

I'm not against costume (actually it some way beautiful, welltailored and soooo in Yuzu's style:biggrin:), I'm against combination of costume and programe:confused2:

Though I feel you, I have a feeling that he probably describes himself as some kind of nymphs (spirits of water) that offers a prayer for the souls of the victims.
so that as a matter of courtesy, he wants to appease the spirits by the beautiful appearance as possible and it’s his style for the Requiem.