2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 86 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

Ziotic

Medalist
Mike Slipchuck basically said Gabby will be offered world and 4CC and that her team will make the decision.
Also gabby posted on insta that she wants to get right back at training, so she will be at worlds I’m like 99%. With her will be Alaine and I think Veronik, unless Aurora gets the minimums.

Maybe they send Aurora to get minimums but more like she will just do Jr Worlds.

Alicia will be the sub as she’s the only other to get her minimums and has a minor injury that would be healed by then.

Likely they will send Larkyn to a Senoir B to get minimums also for withdrawal purposes and maybe even Alison as she will probably turn senoir next season.

Depending on what Gabby and her team decide will dictate if Larkyn gets 4CC.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
This mess is what happens when we don't send our old enough JGP ladies who plan to compete senior at nationals to senior B events.

I would send Aurora Cotop to JW. Her skates show she is gradually getting her jumping feet under her. Hopefully the 3-3 is back by JW. But her flip is back though.

Very important to maximize JGP spots as much as possible especially given the high quality of the top novices.

To be fair, they tried to send Aurora out. She was on the list for CS Inge Solar, but WD. Likely related to that pelvis fracture Tracy told us about.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
With the completion of nationals, here's my predictions on worlds spots.
Skate Canada tends to weigh nationals placements very highly in deciding who gets the worlds assignments, so I generally went with that.
Some skaters may be sent to a competition to try and get TES mins, but for simplicity, I did not include them here.

Ladies

Worlds (3 spots): Alaine Chartrand, Gabrielle Daleman, Veronik Mallet
- alt: Alicia Pineault
I think they'll send Larkyn to 4CC (or a B comp) to see if she can get the minimums, but there's no strong argument to send her to worlds over the 3 above.
I think Aurora will go to junior worlds like last year, especially since she's recovering from injury. Although if she really wants to do seniors, they'd probably send her to a B comp to see if she can get the minimums. But there's no way they aren't going to give her the JWC spot first in case she misses the minimums.

Junior worlds (1 spot): Aurora Cotop
- alt: Alison Schumacher, Hannah Dawson
nats placements

Men

Worlds (2 spots): Nam Nguyen, Keegan Messing
- alt: Nicolas Nadeau, Roman Sadovsky, Bennet Toman
Nic or Roman will get to go to 4CC, probably Nic based on nats.

Junior worlds (2 spots): Stephen Gogolev, Joseph Phan
- alt: Conrad Orzel, Aleksa Rakic, Iliya Kovler
nats placements, results were too close to decide otherwise.

Pairs

Worlds (2 spots): Kirsten Moore-Towers / Michael Marinaro, Evelyn Walsh / Trennt Michaud
- alt: Camille Ruest / Andrew Wolfe
All three teams will get 4CC

Junior worlds (2 spots): Brooke McIntosh / Brandon Toste, Gabrielle Levesque / Pier-Alexandre Hudon
- alt: Patricia Andrew / Paxton Fletcher, Olivia Boys-Eddy / Mackenzie Boys-Eddy
nats results + TES mins. Chloe Choinard / Mathieu Ostiguy are junior champions but have aged out internationally

Dance

Worlds (3 spots): Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje, Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier, Laurence Fournier Beaudry / Nikolaj Sorensen
- alt: Carolane Soucisse / Shane Firus, Haley Sales / Nikolas Wamsteeker
nats results. 4CC likely same as worlds.

Junior worlds (2 spots): Marjorie Lajoie / Zachary Lagha, Alicia Fabbri / Paul Ayer
- alt: Natalie D'Alessandro / Bruce Waddell, Ellie Fisher / Simon-Pierre Malette-Paquette, Emmy Bronsard / Aissa Bouaraguia
nats results + TES mins

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Junior worlds (2 spots): Stephen Gogolev, Joseph Phan
- alt: Conrad Orzel, Aleksa Rakic, Iliya Kovler
nats placements, results were too close to decide otherwise.
This is the only one of your rankings I'd potentially quibble with. I don't think there's a clear-cut case for Joseph over Conrad at this point -- Conrad has had a more consistent season than Joseph, and it's not like Joseph rocked both programs at Nationals either.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is there really no way to give Kaetlyn a little nudge to put her back in the competitive spirit ;)

It feels like forever since I’ve busted out this emoji ( :yahoo: ) for Alaine!!! So pumped for her and I hope she can do even better at WC.

I only had time to watch one quick program and I chose Alaine and wow...just...
:yahoo: :yahoo:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
This is the only one of your rankings I'd potentially quibble with. I don't think there's a clear-cut case for Joseph over Conrad at this point -- Conrad has had a more consistent season than Joseph, and it's not like Joseph rocked both programs at Nationals either.

This is exactly why the Fed usually decides with the National ranking. I adore both skaters. I even started Conrad's fanfest and asked Snowwhite to start Jo's when I was more active on here. So I call both these skaters "son"

The point i am making is that if we look at the junior circuit, Conrad had more of a consistent season with two 4th places.. yet Jo got on the podium. Then, you can look at other significant results and even go back to Junior worlds 2018... Jo was far more successful. Jo was also more successful at last year's Nationals... so if we take the one year span, not just the fall, Jo would be on top... If we take the recent months BEFORE Nationals, we could argue Conrad was more consistent. Some would say Jo was very sick though and that could explain his poor performance at Challenge... etc ... etc...

In the end, the best and fairest way to pick is on Nationals success, and that is why, I strongly believe that Jo will be chosen.

The only other solution would be to send both boys to an event for a skate off / tes minimum gathering.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is there really no way to give Kaetlyn a little nudge to put her back in the competitive spirit ;)

It feels like forever since I’ve busted out this emoji ( :yahoo: ) for Alaine!!! So pumped for her and I hope she can do even better at WC.

I only had time to watch one quick program and I chose Alaine and wow...just...
:yahoo: :yahoo:

I recommend Aurora, she is lovely.

Lyssa

On the Ice
Country
France
https://skatecanada.ca/2019/01/skate-canada-names-teams-for-2019-isu-championships/

2019 ISU WORLD FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS
SAITAMA, JAPAN – MARCH 18-24, 2019

MEN
Nam Nguyen
Keegan Messing

WOMEN
Alaine Chartrand
TBD*
TBD*

PAIRS
Kirsten Moore-Towers / Michael Marinaro
Evelyn Walsh / Trennt Michaud

ICE DANCE
Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje
Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier
Laurence Fournier Beaudry / Nikolaj Sørensen

*To be determined after the 2019 ISU Four Continents Figure Skating
Championships

2019 ISU FOUR CONTINENTS FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS
ANAHEIM, CA, USA – FEBRUARY 4-10, 2019

MEN
Nam Nguyen
Keegan Messing
Nicolas Nadeau

WOMEN
Alaine Chartrand
Véronik Mallet
Larkyn Austman

PAIRS
Kirsten Moore-Towers / Michael Marinaro
Evelyn Walsh / Trennt Michaud
Camille Ruest / Andrew Wolfe

ICE DANCE
Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje
Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier
Laurence Fournier Beaudry / Nikolaj Sørensen

2019 ISU JUNIOR WORLD FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS
ZAGREB, CROATIA – MARCH 4-10, 2019

MEN
Stephen Gogolev
Joseph Phan

WOMEN
Alison Schumacher

PAIRE
Brooke McIntosh / Brandon Toste
Gabrielle Levesque / Pier-Alexandre Hudon

ICE DANCE
Marjorie Lajoie / Zachary Lagha
Alicia Fabbri / Paul Ayer

rachno2

Record Breaker
Interesting. So Gabby passed on 4CCs, but I assume she is still in the mix for Worlds.

Aurora not assigned to JWC is the big surprise. Is she still recovering from injury? Or are they sending her out to get minimums and possibly compete at Worlds?

If they do want Aurora and Gabby at Worlds, then is 4CCs really just a battle for first alternate?

No surprises in the men.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Aurora not assigned to JWC is the big surprise. Is she still recovering from injury? Or are they sending her out to get minimums and possibly compete at Worlds?

But if they do want Aurora and Gabby at Worlds, then does 4CCs even matter?
Aurora's still recovering from bone marrow edema, but when I interviewed her she very much wanted to go to Junior Worlds. That she wasn't assigned there would indeed suggest to me that they're going to try to send her to senior Worlds. Which, she's the silver medalist, so if she can get them, she earned it -- though I'd be disappointed for Véronik.

I'd say that "after 4CC" isn't just about that contest itself, there's a whole bunch of different variables: who gets the technical minimums, whether Gabrielle is feeling up to competing, and so on.

Ziotic

Medalist
I’m shocked they didn’t at least hold off on announcing Allison to JW. I’m betting that the intent is for Aurora to get her minimums and go to worlds, but what if she doesn’t get those minimums?? She rightly deserves to go to Jr Worlds.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
If they do want Aurora and Gabby at Worlds, then is 4CCs really just a battle for first alternate?

If gives a chance for Veronik and Larkyn to make a case for the team, especially if they can put on two strong skates. Plus Larkyn needs the minimums even as alternate. Perhaps, they will send Aurora to a senior 'B' to get the minimums but also consider the results of her 'B' event with Veronik and Larkyn's 4CC results. It's not a bad set-up, this also gives the experience to the most ladies possible.

Ziotic

Medalist
If gives a chance for Veronik and Larkyn to make a case for the team, especially if they can put on two strong skates. Plus Larkyn needs the minimums even as alternate. Perhaps, they will send Aurora to a senior 'B' to get the minimums but also consider the results of her 'B' event with Veronik and Larkyn's 4CC results. It's not a bad set-up, this also gives the experience to the most ladies possible.

I do think that if Gabby wants world and Aurora gets her minimums, they will get the spots no matter how well Larkyn or Veronik skate.

Neither really have any leverage over Aurora, and I would argue Aurora is the better investment for the future.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
I'm pleasantly surprised by these assignments. It's good that Gabby will have more time and won't have to rush to 4CC. Seems like 4CC will operate for Canadian ladies the same way Euros is operating for Russian ladies.

Also glad to see Allison going to JWC. Seems like she just needs more experience competing. She has really nice qualities.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But is she going to help get spots for Canada???...i think not...i highly doubt Alaine will place in the top 10 although i do think it's possible...

She had two clean skates. So depending how the other ladies at Worlds go, she will be anywhere from 20th to 10th. So I don't think she can he!p get 3 spots, she can help get 2. Also, she's young and each year would be a building block towards 2022.

jillredhand

Record Breaker
I like the strategy for the championship slots, and am glad that the mens slots panned out according to nationals rankings. I'm not sure if Aurora will be aiming for Worlds after a Senior B, but I'm happy to see Alison getting the Jr Worlds slot. I think both Alison and Aurora have got the potential to be the next up and comer in Ladies, so I'd like to see Alison do a solid job at Jr Worlds, then move up to the Senior GPs next year, along with Aurora. I think it could be quite good for them both to have some year mate rivalry to push them to do their best, and if one or both of them can ride the pressure to greater heights, there's plenty of room in the ladies scene to capitalize on.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
But is she going to help get spots for Canada???...i think not...i highly doubt Alaine will place in the top 10 although i do think it's possible...

kenboy, I understand that you are concerned for the spots at next year’s home Worlds but there’s no need for this mass panic you’ve been showing in multiple threads ;). Alaine has exceeded expectations a few times this season and may do so again at Worlds. There are a good two months before Worlds and there’s 4CC to look forward to, at which we can see how some of the ladies will score in front of an international panel under the new GOE system (Larkyn hasn’t competed internationally this season; she withdrew from SCI due to injury). And Aurora put on her best skates yet this season here, so if they decide to send her to Worlds after getting the tech mins, she’s earned that opportunity.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I’m shocked they didn’t at least hold off on announcing Allison to JW. I’m betting that the intent is for Aurora to get her minimums and go to worlds, but what if she doesn’t get those minimums?? She rightly deserves to go to Jr Worlds.

to me, the only way she cannot get the minimums is if she is not ready 100% to compete... then, she wouldn't be a great asset for JWC either where the responsibility is even greater with only one lady going and having to place high enough to get JGP spots.