2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 96 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
As far as the ladies go:

- Gabrielle put out a strong short program at Nationals, so she's obviously capable of doing a solid performance at Worlds. Really just a question of managing her nerves, which is an issue for everybody, but obviously amplified considerably in her case.
- Alaine is the same as ever, lots of talent and the competitive nerve of a wet noodle. I don't expect anything from her at this point. You can be pleasantly surprised that way.
- Aurora I think is a huge talent and very promising for the future; this is all happening a bit faster than might have been ideal, particularly with the injury she's been dealing with this season, but I think going to Worlds will be good experience (and there's in a sense minimal pressure since she's not the one on whom retaining spots is perceived to mainly hang).

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
In Russia this would be her prime time. Downhillf from here on.

In Canada we look towards building on fundamental skating skills, valuing experience, longevity and the need for a skating life after 16. Given the results of the last quad, it seems to be working so far.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
And in Italy she would probably be guaranteed a Worlds spot for years to come. But it isn't either, so it's somewhere in between.

Beccari of Italy defeated Cotop at Junior Worlds last year. They finished back to back, actually.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Then pick another country. I picked Italy because of the do have a skater, Carolina Kostner, who has pretty much been able to go to Worlds every year she was healthy/competing.

My point is that different countries have very different competitive landscapes . Some allow more room than others for a skater to develop and have a long career.

Scout

Final Flight
In Russia this would be her prime time. Downhillf from here on.

Luckily for Aurora, this isn't Russia. It's Canada. We start low and then reach great heights (otherwise known as World and Olympic podiums):

Kaetlyn Osmond: First Worlds at age 17, finished 8th. 11th the next year. Injured year after. Didn't even qualify to world team the year after that.
Gabrielle Daleman: First Worlds at age 16, finished 13th. 21st the next year. 9th after that.
Joannie Rochette: First Worlds at age 17, finished 17th. No world medals in first 6 attempts.

Balloon

On the Ice
Agree, Canada just needs to give athletes more funding to have a stronger field at the higher levels.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That's a solid selection for the World team. Cotop has lots of potential and the experience will surely help her and get her in front of the international judges more.

Glad to see Daleman is on there. I know there's pressure for spots, but I think she'll have a good outing. At Nationals, the jumps in the SP were shaky but pretty much there (after lots of lutz issues in the warm up she hung on in the actual SP). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2Sv2XyRrn0 So this could at least position her solidly. I don't expect top 5, but top 10 is very achievable for her. Hopefully her confidence returns and she can put a showing she's proud of.

kenboy123

On the Ice
Canada is not Russia!
Instead of burning out our skaters we nurture them...
That is why Evgenia chose to train here!

And how has that worked out for her again????...i honestly don't think it matters where a Russian girl trains since there are so many girls there and once you make one hiccup ....your career is over...

theharleyquinn

Medalist
And how has that worked out for her again????...i honestly don't think it matters where a Russian girl trains since there are so many girls there and once you make one hiccup ....your career is over...

And is it much better to not have sustainability in your ladies' program where 1-2 skaters taking some time off means the team could very possibly go down to 1 spot at Worlds? I'm really not understanding why some in this thread feel the need to snark about the Russian ladies in order to defend the Canadian landscape at it stands right now. Especially when there are several ladies older than 16 in their fed competing.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Is ZhaoKai Pang in Skate Canada BC/YK's mini-video of its Canada Winter Games team?? Next to Aaron Lowe.

I still miss ZhaoKai. :sad4: :ghug:

(Good luck to the team.)

p.s. Edwards/Pang were 2011 Canada Winter Games novice champs. Seems like a full-circle thing :cool: if he is returning as a coach or team leader.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
And is it much better to not have sustainability in your ladies' program where 1-2 skaters taking some time off means the team could very possibly go down to 1 spot at Worlds? I'm really not understanding why some in this thread feel the need to snark about the Russian ladies in order to defend the Canadian landscape at it stands right now. Especially when there are several ladies older than 16 in their fed competing.

I agree that it's inappropriate to snark on the Russian ladies here. However, the discussion of Russian ladies started when someone used the Russian ladies to snark on Canada.

We know that Canada is a very different country and has a very different skating landscape from Russia. There are reasons for that: a smaller population (and talent pool), different ways of financing training training, etc.

Countries are different, and using "well, in Russia...." as an insult to other countries gets old fast.

kenboy123

On the Ice

I'm not snarking on Russian women or Medvedeva or anyone else...i'm just stating a fact, it really doesn't matter where a Russian lady trains, they are done when they have one slip up...In Canada, we don't really have anyone consistent other than Osmond so since she took a break (at least for this season), we pretty much have no one to fill that void, Canada has a way to bring up their young ladies or at least 1 or 2 to get them to peak later and have longevity, while Russians build up many really really fast...both systems has their pros and cons...if you are looking for a strong overall program and you don't value longevity too much, then Russia is the way to go...if you are looking for a not as strong program, but the ability to build at 1 or maybe 2 ladies that can have longer careers, then Canada is the way to go...it's just preference...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm not snarking on Russian women or Medvedeva or anyone else...i'm just stating a fact, it really doesn't matter where a Russian lady trains, they are done when they have one slip up...In Canada, we don't really have anyone consistent other than Osmond so since she took a break (at least for this season), we pretty much have no one to fill that void, Canada has a way to bring up their young ladies or at least 1 or 2 to get them to peak later and have longevity, while Russians build up many really really fast...both systems has their pros and cons...if you are looking for a strong overall program and you don't value longevity too much, then Russia is the way to go...if you are looking for a not as strong program, but the ability to build at 1 or maybe 2 ladies that can have longer careers, then Canada is the way to go...it's just preference...

Well, tell that to Tuktamysheva. Or Pogorilaya. Or Radionova. All skaters who have had slip-ups but then came back. Russia has way more depth of course than Canada so you need to maintain high technical ability to stay in the hunt, but it's not completely unforgiving (not yet at least).

For some time, Chartrand and Daleman were also strong technical skaters although their level has gone done. Unlike Russia, Canada is not a pool of everyone who can do 3-3's where if someone falters or grows (see Lipnitskaia), there's a dozen jumping beans in the wings. We simply don't have the infrastructure, or investment, or frankly commitment to develop dozens of replacement skaters, but rather choose to focus on bright spots. Figure skating is just not something we care about compared to countries like Russia and Japan, so it's hard enough to get enough interest in the sport, let alone World-level contenders -- and yet, we have found a way with skaters like Osmond/Rochette/Daleman (and even some like Phaneuf and Chartrand).

It took Kostner 10 years to get a World gold and 12 to get an Olympic bronze, and Medvedeva has 2 World golds in her first 2 years and 3 years to get an Olympic silver. And a Canadian (after coming back from injury) eventually managed World silver and then gold, in spite of Russia and Japan being the putative favourites. All are valid ways to achieve success.

kenboy123

On the Ice
Well, tell that to Tuktamysheva. Or Pogorilaya. Or Radionova. All skaters who have had slip-ups but then came back. Russia has way more depth of course than Canada so you need to maintain high technical ability to stay in the hunt, but it's not completely unforgiving (not yet at least).

For some time, Chartrand and Daleman were also strong technical skaters although their level has gone done. Unlike Russia, Canada is not a pool of everyone who can do 3-3's where if someone falters or grows (see Lipnitskaia), there's a dozen jumping beans in the wings. We simply don't have the infrastructure, or investment, or frankly commitment to develop dozens of replacement skaters, but rather choose to focus on bright spots. Figure skating is just not something we care about compared to countries like Russia and Japan, so it's hard enough to get enough interest in the sport, let alone World-level contenders -- and yet, we have found a way with skaters like Osmond/Rochette/Daleman (and even some like Phaneuf and Chartrand).

It took Kostner 10 years to get a World gold and 12 to get an Olympic bronze, and Medvedeva has 2 World golds in her first 2 years and 3 years to get an Olympic silver. And a Canadian (after coming back from injury) eventually managed World silver and then gold, in spite of Russia and Japan being the putative favourites. All are valid ways to achieve success.

Where exactly are these two now????....when I say one slip up...i don't mean one bad competition every so often...i mean a bad season or a couple of competitions in a row that allows one or two people to slip through....

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Are you this critical of France for having only 1 good pairs team or Germany for having only 1 good pairs team or China for having only 1 man? Same with Korea - which arguably has lots of interest in skating following Kim but yet they have yet to produce someone with as strong results as she had -- not a slight against the program, just pointing out that all countries, even ones that are most financially/emotionally invested in figure skating - have peaks and droughts where the team could very possibly go down to 1 spot. It doesn't mean the program is unsustainable. USA has had more spots at Worlds than Canada in ladies in the last decade and yet we have more hardware overall - including a reigning World Champion.

And for a more sustainable ladies program, all 3 Russian entries at the most recent Worlds still lost to the best athlete in Canada's not so sustainable program, and 2 of them lost to our second-best athlete (who was incidentally our National Champion at the time).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Where exactly are these two now????....when I say one slip up...i don't mean one bad competition every so often...i mean a bad season or a couple of competitions in a row that allows one or two people to slip through....

Anna was 4th at WC2014 (should have been 3rd arguably), and then was 13th at Worlds the year after - and people wrote her off (esp after the GP the following), and then she rebounded to get bronze at Worlds.

Radionova was written off by some after Worlds 2016 and then won a GP the following season, beating Osmond and reigning gold medalist Tuktamysheva.

I gave an example of a bad season Tuktamysheva and a skater rebounding after. Kostner too.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Are you this critical of France for having only 1 good pairs team or Germany for having only 1 good pairs team or China for having only 1 man? Same with Korea - which arguably has lots of interest in skating following Kim but yet they have yet to produce someone with as strong results as she had -- not a slight against the program, just pointing out that all countries, even ones that are most financially/emotionally invested in figure skating - have peaks and droughts where the team could very possibly go down to 1 spot. It doesn't mean the program is unsustainable. USA has had more spots at Worlds than Canada in ladies in the last decade and yet we have more hardware overall - including a reigning World Champion.

And for a more sustainable ladies program, all 3 Russian entries at the most recent Worlds still lost to the best athlete in Canada's not so sustainable program, and 2 of them lost to our second-best athlete (who was incidentally our National Champion at the time).

Those are strawmen. Why would I be similarly critical of those countries in those fields? It's pretty clear to most that France, Germany, and China don't have longstanding development programs in those disciplines. Korea's development program post-Yuna has only started pushing out a generation - and they've managed to produce skaters like Eunsoo and Yelim who have been doing very well this season. If you've watched their Nationals you'd see that they have a promising junior crop, and there is a very visible pipeline for them to potentially have 2-3 spots in the next two years, even despite missing Dabin due to boot problems this year. Bringing up Yuna doesn't make much sense at all considering there was basically no development program or resources for figure skating before her, and creating a lasting domestic interest in the sport beyond Yuna herself is still understandably taking a while. Canada is a Big 4 country in figure skating - you're comparing small and medium-sized puppies to one of the biggest dogs in the neighborhood. One would expect a country with a host of excellent coaches, funding, and an endorsing culture for the sport to have at least a comparable pipeline.

And the more people cite 2018 Worlds and discuss Kaetlyn coming back next season, the more it seems to suggest that fans see her as the entirety of the Canadian ladies program. How Gabby and Kaetlyn, two ladies with visible raw talent from the beginning, did at the previous two worlds bears no weight in what's ahead. I admit I get a little fatigued at the unwillingness in this thread and others to talk about the trajectory of the Canadian ladies program when the first response is always to cite 2017/2018 Worlds, snark about Medvedeva and Zagitova's post-Olympics struggles, and generally contrast it with the Russian system like that changes the present.