2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 207 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Is there any chance Nastya went to Anna Tsareva? She did a great job at Sambo 70 with Pogorilaya. <3

She treated Panenkova so bad though, accepting her very late in the season and not travelling at international competitions or Russian Nationals.

andromache

Record Breaker
In this case Gubanova's goal was to get a GP spot and she didn't get it so for Buyanova this is mission failed, onto the next one.

The other reason could be that Buyanova gave up entirely with ladies to focus on the men, but i don't believe it.

I noticed a lack of long term planning on that group, except when they raise the skater from novice level like Adelina Sotnikova, Denis Ten, Artur Danielian,... that's when you see the commitment.

Such a contrast to for example Rafael Arutyunyan who has always said "give me 2 years and you'll see the results".

It's a shame cause Elena Vodorezova was coached by Stanislav Zhuk, who was one of the best coaches in the world, you'd think she learnt a lot from him, and she also has Tarasova there who is also incredibly knowledgeable and incredibly successful as coach.

Zhuk was also horribly abusive to his students, sadly. (I believe Gordeeva wrote about this in her book.)

Anyway, as to quality of results - some coaches seem better able to adapt their methods as the sport evolves, and some don't. Eteri has set the standard in terms of what modern ladies' skating is in 2019. Adelina in 2014, Buianova's last successful lady, seems outdated by comparison. And that was only 5 years ago!

It's possible that whatever Buianova learned from Zhuk so long ago just doesn't work well anymore considering how much the sport has changed over the years.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Zhuk was also horribly abusive to his students, sadly. (I believe Gordeeva wrote about this in her book.)

Anyway, as to quality of results - some coaches seem better able to adapt their methods as the sport evolves, and some don't. Eteri has set the standard in terms of what modern ladies' skating is in 2019. Adelina in 2014, Buianova's last successful lady, seems outdated by comparison. And that was only 5 years ago!

It's possible that whatever Buianova learned from Zhuk so long ago just doesn't work well anymore considering how much the sport has changed over the years.

Yes its possible. Very possible.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

Oh yeah if you read her interviews, she still has that 6.0 mentality.

"if the element is pretty, who cares about levels, underrotations,..."

While Tarasova seems more focused on these things during her commentaries.

But if you read or watch interviews from Gordeeva she said they used to do full runthru in practice twice with Zhuk to get that confidence and speed, and Buyanova's skaters don't seem to do that: they often look tired in the free program (i saw Kovtun so many times running out of gas, but also Sotskova and Tsurskaya last season and others prior to them)

halulupu

Final Flight
She treated Panenkova so bad though, accepting her very late in the season and not travelling at international competitions or Russian Nationals.
Well maybe it was the other way around? Same with gubanova and tarankanova. Why everyone is jumping to the conclusion it was the coaches wrong doing? We simply dont know

Agaszka

Rinkside
Though she's not technically a Russian lady anymore, Ekaterina Kurakova got funding from a publicly unnamed donor to pay for her training at the Cricket Club, so I guess it's not out of the realm of possibility.

The unnamed donor is Marek Kaliszek, ex-president of polish skating association

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Well maybe it was the other way around? Same with gubanova and tarankanova. Why everyone is jumping to the conclusion it was the coaches wrong doing? We simply dont know

In this case from the very beginning it looked like Tsareva didn't care, she has never travelled with her, only showed up at a couple of domestic Cup of Russia events.

This was her only skater in senior GP, she had all the reasons in the world to travel with her: i can understand not going to Canada maybe for visa issues, but Finland or Estonia aren't even that far!

Scott512

Record Breaker
Why? Because the coaches who are shall I say much much much much much older than these kids acted angrily towards them with their verbiage. It doesn't mean the students were perfect. I'm sure they were at fault as well for things not working out like they could have. But you hear them say only good things about their former coaches yet sadly the former coaches do not show the same class the young girls do. This my friend is not debatable.

For instance only 1 day after getting trashed publicly by her 56 year old former coach Elena Buyaniva who tried to sabotage 16 year old Anastasia Gubanovas reputation with open-ended accusations, Nastya came back with pure class the next day saying her former coach taught her valuable things. Bitter Buyanova could take a lesson from her former sixteen-year-old pupil. I continue to be thrilled with what wonderful people these young skaters are. The adult coaches in Russia and everywhere else for that matter should be more like thelse kids. Kicking someone when they're down the way Buyanova did Gubanova was vicious and bush league. I'm sure Nastya is a lot more devastated that her former coach is that Nastya has not fulfilled potential she showed years ago. I hope she still can but whether she does or doesn't I hope she gets a coach that will work with her and nurture her. Not every Russian figure skating girl is going to hit her peak by age 15 or 16. I hope Nastya can be a late bloomer by their standards.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think with the right coach, all four of these wonderful girls could've been on the Zhenya and Alina level of the stuff mentioned above...just sad it didn't work out for them. But then again, I wouldn't be too sure who'd be the right coach for them. Sometimes I go a bit crazy and imagine what would've become of Elena, had she trained under Eteri 🤭

An Olympic medal. At least.

Fluture

Record Breaker
An Olympic medal. At least.

And when exactly? Elena was too young in 2014 as far as I remember. 2018? Over Alina and Zhenya? I don‘t think so. And I doubt the judges would have let a third Russian reach the podium, besides, as much as I love Elena‘s enthusiasm for her skating, Osmond is much more of the complete package. Let‘s be fair, Eteri is not a magician either. Elena was struggling with puberty and growing. She would have had the same issues with Eteri. Maybe she would have been more successful with her, maybe not. Who knows. But to say that she would have reached an Olympic medal “at least“ is a bit of an exaggeration, imo. :shrug:

LenaRadiFan

On the Ice
And when exactly? Elena was too young in 2014 as far as I remember. 2018? Over Alina and Zhenya? I don‘t think so. And I doubt the judges would have let a third Russian reach the podium, besides, as much as I love Elena‘s enthusiasm for her skating, Osmond is much more of the complete package. Let‘s be fair, Eteri is not a magician either. Elena was struggling with puberty and growing. She would have had the same issues with Eteri. Maybe she would have been more successful with her, maybe not. Who knows. But to say that she would have reached an Olympic medal “at least“ is a bit of an exaggeration, imo. :shrug:
I agree tbh. IF Lena was not too young for 2014 she would've probably gone and would've medaled, realistically and I think that would've happened under Goncharenko as well. But she was too young, and you can say she had a bit of bad luck with timing in her career. In 2018 I think it's tricky, since imo her season looked really good until russian nationals.(I'm not talking about surpassing either Zhenya or Alina but def Masha, had she skated at Nationals like, for example like CoC) Would she have medaled if she'd gone to the olympics? I honestly can't say. For me it could've realistically been a peak performance for her or an utter dissapointment. The point is though, that we'll ndver know of the past olympics(Maybe 2022 Is Lenas lucky year [emoji6])

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Elena Radionova was/is better skater than Osmand. In my book. So bronze/silver or even gold could had been Lena's up for grabs.

Amei

Record Breaker
In this case from the very beginning it looked like Tsareva didn't care, she has never travelled with her, only showed up at a couple of domestic Cup of Russia events.

This was her only skater in senior GP, she had all the reasons in the world to travel with her: i can understand not going to Canada maybe for visa issues, but Finland or Estonia aren't even that far!

To be fair to coaches, while I'm not sure how it works in Russia but in the US the skater pays the coaches travel for competitions, so if a skater can't afford to pay for the coach to come with them then the coach does not go.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I agree tbh. IF Lena was not too young for 2014 she would've probably gone and would've medaled, realistically and I think that would've happened under Goncharenko as well. But she was too young, and you can say she had a bit of bad luck with timing in her career. In 2018 I think it's tricky, since imo her season looked really good until russian nationals.(I'm not talking about surpassing either Zhenya or Alina but def Masha, had she skated at Nationals like, for example like CoC) Would she have medaled if she'd gone to the olympics? I honestly can't say. For me it could've realistically been a peak performance for her or an utter dissapointment. The point is though, that we'll ndver know of the past olympics(Maybe 2022 Is Lenas lucky year [emoji6])

Yeah, Lena really was kind of unlucky. Not only that her birthday didn‘t allow her to go to the Sochi Olympics but also that in the two years where she had everything to be Russian #1, someone else always stole her show. First Liza, then Zhenya. There are many what-ifs with her and it makes me kind of sad. Lots of unfulfilled potential. She‘s such a charismatic performer and she had that it-factor plus the rare ability to really engage the audience whenever she skated. Sure, her posture was pretty bad and her jumps were a bit shaky but those are things one can work on. I don‘t know whether it‘s all that likely that she‘ll make a comeback as a competitive skater but if she does... I‘ll root for her.

As for the Olympics and who would have medaled when... it‘s impossible to tell. Just look at Liza. Or Alina. Both examples on how timing can either ruin everything for you or help you. For the Olympics, luck is involved more than for any other competition. That’s frustrating but well, that‘s life. Nothing you can do about it.

katymay

Medalist
Outside of a personal connection to her or any other skater, why would a Russian millionaire invest with little return for a skater to train outside of Russia? Last check Russia is oozing with talented ladies, fact is the 4 ladies that went to Worlds and Europeans for Russia last year could skate flawlessly and still be watching those competitions as spectators this coming season. Perhaps trying to poach a Russian coach that works out of the country to come home and train skaters to get a wider base of where their skaters come from, but it makes zero sense for someone to risk the negative publicity by paying for a skater to train outside of Russia (see Evgenia Med. as an example)

Well for one thing, if that Russian millionaire does any advertising....she is beautiful-I mean drop dead gorgeous-, and could easily do commercial work. E.G. For a sponsor. Who would agree to fund her training. Just a thought.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
You were right about all these girls going to Buyanova. Too bad you dont work for the Russian Federation. ;) You could have saved these girls a year of their career.

Nastya never should have left Turenko.

Late in the season? Not too late. Bad timing by Buyanova for sure.

I believe Kogan and Gorshkov are well aware of these issues, i recall Kogan complaining about Kovtun's training in the past too, but they won't make big changes internally at CSKA maybe because they are friend of Buyanova, or because they trust Tarasova.

To be fair to coaches, while I'm not sure how it works in Russia but in the US the skater pays the coaches travel for competitions, so if a skater can't afford to pay for the coach to come with them then the coach does not go.

Because it is state funded in Russia, i think all these costs are covered by the FFKKR

Scott512

Record Breaker
Well for one thing, if that Russian millionaire does any advertising....she is beautiful-I mean drop dead gorgeous-, and could easily do commercial work. E.G. For a sponsor. Who would agree to fund her training. Just a thought.

That's a very astute point Katy. It makes total sense and I don't know why it doesn't happen more than it does. But some of these girls that would be a great way to get some funding that's not just from the Russian Federation.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
They say Gubanova and Nugumanova moved to Rukavitsin.

I'm beginning to think it is Buyanova's fault that Tsurskaya retired...:slink:

No, it's not. Just read Tsurskaya's interview - she said that she lost interest to fs from early age - and did fs only to please parents. It's impossible for any coach to develope skater with lack of motivation.

As for Gubanova's interview - there are enough contradictive lines to hint that she wasn't sincere about many things or tried to downplay it (at least it's obvious if you read it in Russian). I am even willing to say that highly likely majority of fault for such abrupt parting with coach lies on Gubanova. To be more precise - probably there was serious conflict between them (judging by some of her personal streams - Gubanova has rather.. difficult character) and serious discipline and weight problems.

Scott512

Record Breaker
They say Gubanova and Nugumanova moved to Rukavitsin.

No, it's not. Just read Tsurskaya's interview - she said that she lost interest to fs from early age - and did fs only to please parents. It's impossible for any coach to develope skater with lack of motivation.

As for Gubanova's interview - there are enough contradictive lines to hint that she wasn't sincere about many things or tried to downplay it (at least it's obvious if you read it in Russian). I am even willing to say that highly likely majority of fault for such abrupt parting with coach lies on Gubanova. To be more precise - probably there was serious conflict between them (judging by some of her personal streams - Gubanova has rather.. difficult character) and serious discipline and weight problems.
What do you know about this coach?

Very strong comments about Anastasia. Nastya said only good things about her former coach after her former coach trashed her worldwide. Who knows maybe getting expelled from cska is the kick in the butt that Nastya needs. But to use speculation of Nastya having serious discipline problems as fact is dubious. Both coach and pupil get blamed for the parting. Buyanova had even worse success with Masha Elena and Polina than she did with Nastya. As for her weight problems that you mentioned I can't see it. Yes she has developed and has some muscle and figure but she's hardly big. She may not even way 100 pounds. Nastya no doubt has to get used to her new body now that she's done or almost done with puberty. I hope this new coach works for her. It may be now or never for her. and every other country she would have more years to develop but in Russia if you don't improve quickly as a senior you get passed by.

Also you mention Nastya as having difficult character in some of her streams. If you're talkin about YouTube videos and things we must be watching two different things. I see a sweet girl on those videos. But I gather you see something else. So be it. What do you see in her? A diva? Her Instagram page seems very normal to me but I'm not in tune with all the social media stuff.

Anastasia was really good between ages 10 and 14. And the next couple years she has struggled to fulfill her promise and her ego is probably taking a beating. She has to deal with that and overcome it. But let's be honest this is sports and this is life. We've all had to overcome things at one time or another. But it must be extra hard for teenagers who aren't fully mature yet.

I hope her new coaching situation works wonders for her. Her confidence probably needs to be rebuilt. Obviously her previous coach wasn't the one to help Anastasia a lot and that's an understatement.