2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 75 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
Unfortunately for me, Starr’s lp choreography felt nonexistent to me.☹️ She barely did anything but jump and spin. She’s so much better than this empty program. The judges agree; she only received 57+ in pcs. She needs to show more personality and confidence and swagger.

Starr seemed like a new skater to me. I loved her short program. And her costume and styling just looked more polished than I remember previously. I think she is really trying to be competitive. Her programs and costume gave the impression she is trying to do just the opposite of what you suggest - notshow her personality and swagger. Which I get. I think she is trying to play the game so to speak and appear more like a traditional, conservative skater to please the judges. Which is a shame that that's the way it is and that she perhaps has been punished in seniors for trying to be herself. I hope she can strike that balance and find a LP that allows her to express herself while still fitting into a more traditional mold that won't be too risky for judges.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
I really can't see Gracie doing any kind of quad and especially at her age and not really competing for two years now. Gracie at 15, 16 probably would be working on quads if she was coming up now considering her raw athletic jumping talent but she's obviously not 16 anymore.

Gracie from the beginning has always had a talent and athleticism to be able to do the harder jumps. The amount of progress she has made shows her commitment to this comeback and if she keeps working like she has been anything is possible. 24 is young, If she really wants to do quads I think she’ll succeed.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is a charity skating event in Boston called an Evening with Champions, on September 20th and 21st. It benefits the Jimmy Fund. Karen Chen, Megan Wessenberg, Camden Pulkinen and others will be performing.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Gracie from the beginning has always had a talent and athleticism to be able to do the harder jumps. The amount of progress she has made shows her commitment to this comeback and if she keeps working like she has been anything is possible. 24 is young, If she really wants to do quads I think she’ll succeed.

Gracie is only 24??? Hopefully she gets some inspiration from Carolina Kostner who is still out there competing. Remember, Maria Butyrskaya didn't win worlds until just before her 27th birthday. Gracie can do this.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
In her early days in juniors/seniors, Gracie could have worked on quad lutz: the height and distance were definitely there.

Now, it would be just a cheap trick to gain attention, a bit like Mirai's 3a (no offense) and i seriously wish she doesn't fall into that, because that would take away time she could spend on getting the programs together and skating them clean.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
In her early days in juniors/seniors, Gracie could have worked on quad lutz: the height and distance were there.

Now, it would be just a cheap trick to gain attention, a bit like Mirai's 3a (no offense) and i seriously wish she doesn't fall into that, because that would take away time she could spend on getting the programs together and skating them clean.

That would pretty much put more attention and pressure on her which is what got her into trouble to start with. Will she do it, can she do it, when will she do it???? She needs less attention and pressure not more of it. Obviously a comeback will produce great attention (and pressure if it goes decently well) but doing a "cheap trick" will only exasperate it

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
In her early days in juniors/seniors, Gracie could have worked on quad lutz: the height and distance were there.

I'm sure Mirai (and any other skater who learns a very difficult jump) would take offense to their achievements being referred to as a "cheap trick to gain attention"

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I'm sure Mirai (and any other skater who learns a very difficult jump) would take offense to their achievements being referred to as a "cheap trick to gain attention"

Maybe yes, in fact i said no offense: in my opinion she could have spent that time on getting the other triples cleaner (she is prone to underrotations, especially on the combo) and skating skills rather than working on the 3A.

In retrospect you look at her scores, that was the message she got from judges even after landing the 3a cleanly: great element! but what about the rest?

Feel free to disagree, that's just my opinion.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Maybe yes, in fact i said no offense: in my opinion she could have spent that time on getting the other triples cleaner (she is prone to underrotations, especially on the combo) and skating skills rather than working on the 3A.

In retrospect you look at her scores, that was the message she got from judges even after landing the 3a cleanly: great element! but what about the rest?

Feel free to disagree, that's just my opinion.

It got her a special moment at Olympics. She wanted to prove a point and she did.
I'd say her gamble paid off. She achieved something amazing just four years after being left off the Olympic team. That was her redemption.
She did 8 ratified triples in the Team competition so obviously the rest was good enough at that time.

You might not agree with that strategy but to call it a "cheap trick for attention" is offensive no matter how much you claim "oh I don't mean any offense by it".

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
It got her a special moment at Olympics. She wanted to prove a point and she did.
I'd say her gamble paid off. She achieved something amazing just four years after being left off the Olympic team. That was her redemption.
She did 8 ratified triples in the Team competition so obviously the rest was good enough at that time.

You might not agree with that strategy but to call it a "cheap trick for attention" is offensive no matter how much you claim "oh I don't mean any offense by it".

Because it is not meant to offend the skater.

Trying these elements when your triples are not strong enough or clean to me is a cheap trick for attention, regardless of who does it.

There is a procedure for everything, it's about understanding priorities. If Mirai's priority was landing the 3A good for her, she did it!

If you ask me if that was the right decision in order to get higher scores, i'd say maybe not.

Starr Andrews tried that too for a while, now she moved over and worked on her regular triples instead and you see the results: less calls, higher GOE on her regular jumps, higher scores. Maybe she will come back to the 3A in the future and it will be a different story now that her other triples are much more reliable.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Because it is not meant to offend the skater.

Trying these elements when your triples are not strong enough or clean to me is a cheap trick for attention, regardless of who does it.

There is a procedure for everything, it's about understanding priorities. If Mirai's priority was landing the 3A good for her, she did it!

If you ask me if that was the right decision in order to get higher scores, i'd say maybe not.

Starr Andrews tried that too for a while, now she moved over and worked on her regular triples instead and you see the results: less calls, higher GOE on her regular jumps, higher scores. Maybe she will come back to the 3A in the future and it will be a different story now that her other triples are much more reliable.

Different things work for different people. What worked for Mirai might not/does not work for someone else.

As for Gracie, my only hope is she does what she feels is right for her, that's all that matters.
If she wants to try to throw in a quad, good for her.
If she takes a slower more methodical direction, building up her triple reliability, good for her.
If she decides not to make a proper comeback at all and does something new with her life, good for her.
As long as she's happy and healthy.

natsulian

Final Flight
Current USA Ladies' Standings:
1. Alysa Liu, 208.10 (JGP USA)
2. Starr Andrews, 181.18 (Lombardia Trophy)
3. Karen Chen, 173.66 (Autumn Classic International)
4. Kate Wang, 164.59 (JGP Russia)
5. Gabriella Izzo, 160.94 (JGP Latvia)
6. Hanna Harrell, 160.50 (JGP France)
7. Isabelle Inthisone, 156.03 (JGP Latvia)
8. Emilia Murdock, 148.95 (JGP USA)
9. Jessica Lin, 148.35 (JGP USA)
10. Calista Choi, 148.19 (JGP France)
11. Audrey Shin, 143.29 (JGP Russia)
12. Megan Wessenberg, 135.72 (Lombardia Trophy)

Upcoming events:
- JGP Poland this week in which Alysa Liu and Lindsay Thorngren will be competing
- USA Classic this week in which Ting Cui and Amber Glenn will be competing

ice coverage

Record Breaker
There is a charity skating event in Boston called an Evening with Champions, on September 20th and 21st. It benefits the Jimmy Fund. Karen Chen, Megan Wessenberg, Camden Pulkinen and others will be performing.

And Gabbie Izzo!!!

Her first opportunity (AFAIK) to perform for her new community at Harvard. :cool:

katymay

Medalist
In her early days in juniors/seniors, Gracie could have worked on quad lutz: the height and distance were definitely there.

Gracie could have gotten a 3a, as Mirai did, but a quad takes a certain body type ( narrow hips and shoulders, and tiny helps) and tighter rotation. Caitlyn Osmond had huge jumps, but slower rotation in those jumps, doubtful even she could have done quads. Even the best quad men have this physical configuration. (Hanyu, Chen etc.)

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I don’t think Gracie working on these elements means she plans to suddenly go for them in competition- nor do I think she is working on these elements at the expense of her triples, spins, footwork, and programs. I see it more as a confidence thing- if she feels good enough to be working on this it must mean she is feeling good about her jumps. Gracie also knows how she deals with pressure- even if she was landing it I don’t think she would risk putting a high risk element in her program during the first year of her comeback in a non Olympic year. It isn’t worth it.

qwerty1195

On the Ice

LOL at anyone would says “no offense” but intends to be offensive and petty at the most subtle of ways. Just take it off.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I’m seriously excited to see the debuts of our senior world team contenders. The way I see it, there are 4 ladies with a realistic chance of getting the 2 coveted worlds spots. Bradie, Mariah, Ting, and Karen. That’s pretty much the best in US ladies right now, and sending anyone else would probably result in a loss of 2 spots. Unless something incredible happens, 2 of these 4 will go to worlds come March.

natsulian

Final Flight
I’m seriously excited to see the debuts of our senior world team contenders. The way I see it, there are 4 ladies with a realistic chance of getting the 2 coveted worlds spots. Bradie, Mariah, Ting, and Karen. That’s pretty much the best in US ladies right now, and sending anyone else would probably result in a loss of 2 spots. Unless something incredible happens, 2 of these 4 will go to worlds come March.

If Mariah gets a stable 3-3 and manages to stay as consistent as she did during the second half of the season, I think she’ll battle it out with Ting for the second spot. Ting has the highest scoring potential, but with her having just recovered from an injury, we’ll have to see her condition. Great thing is, Ting (and Amber) skates this week so we will be able to gauge her condition. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ting goes for the 4T during the second half of the season. She’s already off the harness on the 3A, 4T, and 4S. Plus, she’s landed them, they’re just under by a very small margin. As for Karen, she will have to fix her under-rotation problems and stay consistent.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Some if these ladies can barely complete a program of basic triples and now we got them trying triple Axel's and quads?

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
If Mariah gets a stable 3-3 and manages to stay as consistent as she did during the second half of the season, I think she’ll battle it out with Ting for the second spot. Ting has the highest scoring potential, but with her having just recovered from an injury, we’ll have to see her condition. Great thing is, Ting (and Amber) skates this week so we will be able to gauge her condition. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ting goes for the 4T during the second half of the season. She’s already off the harness on the 3A, 4T, and 4S. Plus, she’s landed them, they’re just under by a very small margin. As for Karen, she will have to fix her under-rotation problems and stay consistent.

Poor Mariah really needs a stable 3-3 like, now.
Poor Amber is not on my list of possible worlds contenders because she’s so inconsistent. I have no faith in her...but she’s so good!
The only reason I put Karen on the list of possible worlds contenders is because she’s the fourth best option the US has in ladies. She’s struggling with different things, but even so her tech and pcs scoring ceiling is higher than that of, say, Starr or Megan.