2014 Cup of China Ladies Free Skate 11/08 | Page 46 | Golden Skate

2014 Cup of China Ladies Free Skate 11/08

borzaya

Final Flight
Um? The title of the article is "Russian teen Lipnitskaia struggling with pressure" and the article does not mention anything about depression. I'm not on the anti-Julia crusade but this is just wrong.
It's pressure in the article, but it's written "depression" in the twitter post.

borzaya

Final Flight
I also don't get why compare her with Yuna or Mao in the issue of talking/not talking about stress... Don't forget about the cultural differences, please. AFAIK it's typical for Asian culture to keep all emotions in yourself, to be reserved etc. AFAIK (correct me if I am wrong) the Western people also tend not to talk too much about their problems, but would rather go to psychologist to talk about them. But it's ok in Russia to talk about problems. The ordinary people in everyday life often complain about something to their friends or family. When I am at work, I constantly hear my friends or colleagues telling the other friends and colleagues about how they have quarrelled with their boyfriends and so on... Of course, it's one thing what happens in everyday life, and it's another thing when giving an interview - especially by athletes (who are supposed to be strong). Too much complaining in the interview, of course, wouldn't be approved by the fans - but here it's definitely not "too much"... Yulia doesn't complain about stress in every interview. You should have seen what a whining interview Kovtun has given about how difficult for him it was to perform after what had happened with Hanyu and Yan... Besides, one of the things for which some people tend to critisize her is being too "closed" or "reserved" - well, she is not in this interview...

Alba

Record Breaker
Yes, that's what I'm pointing out. It takes quite an ignorant and dishonest person to do such a thing.

Cheap way top get people to open the link, as usual with the mass-media, and another example of people twisting other people's words. Not surprised but I'm bit sorry to see TSL retweet that. :eek:hwell:

We also have NYP: http://nypost.com/2014/11/11/gold-medal-has-become-nightmare-for-16-year-old-russian-skater/
Same article but with a different sensationalist headline: Gold medal has become a nightmare. :rolleye:

In short, I guess she has to "clarify" herself, again. :frown:

lavender

Record Breaker
I don't expect anyone to agree with me, but imo the team event degrades the Olympic medals. If it is continued, I think it should come after the individual events.

I kind of agree. It's just not the same. However the individual golds doesn't have the same weight anymore imo but that's just me.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I also don't get why compare her with Yuna or Mao in the issue of talking/not talking about stress... Don't forget about the cultural differences, please. AFAIK it's typical for Asian culture to keep all emotions in yourself, to be reserved etc. AFAIK (correct me if I am wrong) the Western people also tend not to talk too much about their problems, but would rather go to psychologist to talk about them. But it's ok in Russia to talk about problems. The ordinary people in everyday life often complain about something to their friends or family. When I am at work, I constantly hear my friends or colleagues telling the other friends and colleagues about how they have quarrelled with their boyfriends and so on... Of course, it's one thing what happens in everyday life, and it's another thing when giving an interview - especially by athletes (who are supposed to be strong). Too much complaining in the interview, of course, wouldn't be approved by the fans - but here it's definitely not "too much"... Yulia doesn't complain about stress in every interview. You should have seen what a whining interview Kovtun has given about how difficult for him it was to perform after what had happened with Hanyu and Yan... Besides, one of the things for which some people tend to critisize her is being too "closed" or "reserved" - well, she is not in this interview...

I'm Asian and yes it's more acceptable if you're more reserved but that doesn't mean you don't talk about your feelings to a confidante or get advice from a friend. I have never been told to keep my emotions to myself, only not to let it out in inappropriate settings. Yuna and Mao may not speak out about how they feel much to the press but with all the stress and pressure they have they definitely have their own ways of dealing with it. Talking to Yulia and giving on advice on how to deal with all the pressure and expectation could be helpful.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
We also have NYP: http://nypost.com/2014/11/11/gold-medal-has-become-nightmare-for-16-year-old-russian-skater/
Same article but with a different sensationalist headline: Gold medal has become a nightmare. :rolleye:

The New York Post just eats this stuff up. It's almost as bad as the British tabloids -- useful for putting on the bottom of a bird cage or cat litter pan but not much else!

Re: TSL's Twitter post, someone should call them out big time for the "depression" headline.

Hoping Yulia is ignoring all of this nonsense (wanted to use a different word but it would have gotten me banned :biggrin:). She's apologized and will pay her fine, so enough already. Also agree w/ Sam-Skwantch that she needs some non-skating outlets because this is the stuff that makes some people turn to drugs and/or alcohol or something equally destructive. If Yulia doesn't find a way to deal w/ everything, the references to depression could easily turn into reality. I can speak from personal experience -- have been there and wouldn't wish that kind of pain on my worst enemy. :no:

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
The New York Post just eats this stuff up. It's almost as bad as the British tabloids -- useful for putting on the bottom of a bird cage or cat litter pan but not much else!

Re: TSL's Twitter post, someone should call them out big time for the "depression" headline.

No, the tweet is from this woman (a journalist?): https://twitter.com/Shan713/status/532356366279921664?lang=it

TSL retweeted that, but I still thought that was not good from them. I think they should know better.

Also agree w/ Sam-Skwantch that she needs some non-skating outlets because this is the stuff that makes some people turn to drugs and/or alcohol or something equally destructive. If Yulia doesn't find a way to deal w/ everything, the references to depression could easily turn into reality. I can speak from personal experience -- have been there and wouldn't wish that kind of pain on my worst enemy

I don't know. I see no signs to be alarmed, IMHO. Not yet at least.
Saying "it's not a life, but a constant stress" it's something that we all use when we don't like something, or a particular period.
Like how many times I've said: "Oh god, my life is hell right now". It's a figure of speeach, it doesn't mean that my life is hell like for real.
It's just that you are an elite athlete, so say that to the media and you are tosted.

I thought the interview was very good actually. It shows more her strength rather than her weakness. Because being honest and speaking your your own mind shows a strong perasonality, and courage. Which doesn't mean you're made of steel, feel absolutely nothing, or you are not vulnerable. She is in a delicate age, so of course she needs caring and "protection".
She will learn with experience, like we all have done.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I don't expect anyone to agree with me, but imo the team event degrades the Olympic medals. If it is continued, I think it should come after the individual events.

I agree with you. Olympics have typically been used to judge a single athlete or a team that regularly trains and competes together, but with the team event it's sort of feels like a bonus thing for me. Like this country has good skaters on the whole, so here, ya'll get additional medals. It's still something for them to be proud of, but a team event medal can not compare to a traditional medal imo. I'm sure if the skaters were asked if they wanted a TE or regular gold medal, they'd pick the regular one. Maybe a silver or even bronze in their own discipline over TE gold as well, depending upon the skater.

peg

Medalist
In gymnastics, they have a team event even though those athletes do not train together in most countries. It's very similar to figure skating, actually. They do their individual routines and the scores are added together.

The biggest problem with the team event in my mind is that it was based on placement rather than just adding up the scores.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Would anything have changed with combined scores? I'm assuming yes.

peg

Medalist

I'm not 100% sure, but for most people, using an ordinal system rather than actual scores is :scratch: because pretty much every other sport uses scores, and that way generally gives more accurate results.

Alba

Record Breaker
Team event I thought it was fun.
Not important such as the individual events, therefore doing it as the last competition would be better.

I also like the idea of bellflower that a country can choose freely which skaters (if they have them) can partecipate in the team event.
Even if they are not qualified for the individuals.

No

1. Russia: 866.63
2. Canada: 814.28
3. USA: 734.31

Last edited:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Team event I thought it was fun.
Not important such as the individual events, therefore doing it as the last competition would be better.

I also like the idea of bellflower that a country can choose freely (if they have them) which skaters can partecipate in the team event.
Even if they are not qualified for the individuals.

I enjoyed watching it too, would appreciate if it were moved to after the regular competitions as well. Having a federation be able to choose their representatives sounds like a smart idea; for example, Japan could submit men or Russia could submit women who were not able to participate in the singles' events... That could be very interesting :think:

Alba

Record Breaker
I enjoyed watching it too, would appreciate if it were moved to after the regular competitions as well. Having a federation be able to choose their representatives sounds like a smart idea; for example, Japan could submit men or Russia could submit women who were not able to participate in the singles' events... That could be very interesting :think:

Yes. Also because it would be nice for those skaters, and for the fans to see them, to be able to partecipate in the Olympics somehow.
I think they would give everything in their performance in order to win there.
Maybe even more motivated than those who're to partecipate in the individual events.

The schedule and structure of the team event is not entirely under the control of the ISU. It was the IOC that set the rules about no extra athletes besides those who are already there and about squeezing the team event in at the beginning.

I don't see what harm it does. I do not think that the individual medal winners felt that their achievement was compromised or that their medal meant less because there was also a team event.

Also, I disagree that adding up points is more accurate than ordinal placements. There are good reasons to think the opposite (and not just for the team event. ;) )

peg

Medalist
The problem with ordinal placements is that they cannot distinguish between a 0.1 point difference or a 20 point difference. That creates far more room for error.

So let's say in one segment, the competition is extremely close and the American comes in third in the short program, but is only .2 out of first place. Then in the long program the American is first by 20 points over the winner of the short program. If ordinals are used the way they were in Sochi, that would put the American team behind, even though they scored 19.8 points higher. It's ludicrous. Just because it didn't make a difference in Sochi doesn't mean the system isn't incredibly flawed. (Plus, I suspect it contributed to the farcical judging we saw in the team event, but that part is just my opinion)

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
The problem with points is that the variance in men singles is much higher than in dance. Hence, having Hanyu with 290 will almost nullify another country's efforts to build the equity with a good dance pair. I don't see farcial judging in the team event but that part is just my opinion.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I think we need more of an adjusted points system for lack of a better term. Frankly both peg and [email protected] are correct. While massive point leads are silly (I'd like to see the third place after short have a shot at gold as the norm for instance) There is something to be said for both second over third actually meaning something, and having a massive point lead count for something.

Maybe something weird like the second place score is adjusted to be no more than X less than first, and the rest along the way. Or maybe only adjust if there is too much a gap allow the lower skaters to adjust up to 50% (or whatever number) of the gap between the next placement. So for instance if first place is 100 and second is 80, second is adjusted to 90 to narrow the gap somewhat. Doing something like that would still reward people for far and away better programs, but would still gives some added weight to placement in the short.

Meoima

Match Penalty
For some reason I am tired of joining the talks about scoring system, because no matter what we think of, ISU will not do as we want. :laugh: